[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PC Engine General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (333 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
333 KB, 1000x750
Amazing console

Anyone ever play the super dodgeball or river city ransom ports?
>>
>>2831497
Dracula X and Winds of Thunder are the best PCECD games. Prove me wrong.

Gate of Thunder is overrated, but Winds of Thunder is imo a top 5 best shmup of all time. Play that game on the hardest difficulty, it's fucking insane.
>>
>>2831591
gate of thunder is garbage. winds of thunder is awesome though.
>>
did it have any good RPGs?
>>
>>2831597
Yes a lot, but most of them are in Japanese

Ys series
Ys IV: a Dawn of Ys
Startling odyssey II
Xak III

Legend of Xanadu I and II are being translated right now and are considered to be two of the best games ever made

Tengai Makyou II: manjimaru was the highest selling game on the PC engine

Gulliver boy and anearth fantasy stories are both outstanding as well

Blood Gear is a fantastic game by Westone, more similar to Zelda II and the wonder boy games
>>
>>2831594
Winds is better, but in what world is gate garbage?

It's like saying megaman 2 is horrible because 3 is better
>>
File: COVER-Star_Parodier.jpg (186 KB, 400x403) Image search: [Google]
COVER-Star_Parodier.jpg
186 KB, 400x403
>>2831591
I agree with those two, and Star Parodia as the third. Star Parodia is like a big, warm love letter to PC Engine fans for sticking with the console through the years. Just playing it makes me deeply sad Hudson no longer exists.
>>
>>2831497
Love that photo in the OP. Nothing's better than sexy photos of PC Engine systems and games.
>>
If I'm looking to get into the PC Engine, the PC Engine Duo is the best one to get, right? It'll take Japanese Hu cards and Japanese and US CDs, yeah?

I want all those Japanese shmups plus Ys I&II in English!
>>
>>2831919
Yes, get the Duo-R or Duo RX, the capacitors in the original Duo models are faulty and have a tendency to be dried put and need to be replaced.

There's a guy on eBay called doujindance that mods old Duo-Rs with new Lazers, RGB / component out and will also add a region switch for hucards. His systems can be expensive (from 250-300 bucks) but they're well worth the investment.
>>
File: three kings.jpg (225 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
three kings.jpg
225 KB, 1280x854
>>2831927
Sounds great dude, thank you! I've been meaning to get into the PC Engine for years, I'm really looking forward to it.
>>
File: IMG_20151202_031905.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151202_031905.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>2831934
Np, I've had a doujindance system for a few months and had no problems with it. Beat Dracula X on it a few nights ago in glorious RGB, good shit.
>>
>>2831497
Really wish I knew about these back in the days. The arcade ports were 1:0.99 compared to NES.
>>
>>2831597
buttloads. especially on PCE CD. the translation scene is really starting to boom as well, expect to see alot more available in the near future
>>
>>2831915
>Gunhed

you are my favorite person on 4chan right now.
>>
Need some advice PC Engine bros. I have a region modded Duo and even though the seller said "some" caps have been replaced I'm still gonna get somebody to take a look at it and potentially do a full cap swap. In addition to the cap swap I also want to get a video upgrade, but don't know which route I should go. I have a Trinitron that can do component and S-video. Which is best?
>>
>>2832051
S-Video. no benefit from Component.
>>
i am in Burgerland, If I wee to get a PC Engine, would I need to have anything special in order to plug it into my power outlet here?
>>
>>2832069
No
>>
>>2832026
Gunhed is outstanding

Soldier blade just edges it for me

Air Zonk and download are my favorite horizontal hucard shooters
>>
>>2831497
>Anyone ever play the super dodgeball or river city ransom ports?
Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club on the PC Engine is kinda like a combination of the arcade and Famicom version rather than being a direct port of either of them. Basically it has the mechanics of the Famicom version (life bar and individualized power shots for every member), but with the graphics of the arcade version. My only gripe is that it doesn't have the India and Russia team from the Famicom version.

Downtown Nekketsu Story on the other hand is a more direct port of the Famicom game. It's kinda of a lazy one at that, since it doesn't add anything to the game other than more colorful graphics, a redbook soundtrack and some badly digitized voices during boss battles. It's still a good game, but I prefer the Famicom original.
>>
File: image.png (389 KB, 616x410) Image search: [Google]
image.png
389 KB, 616x410
>>2831915
>>
Is it worth picking up a Turbo Grafx-16?

I pretty much just had Nintendo and Playstation consoles growing up.

I see a lot of people talking about it these days, am I missing out on something amazing?
>>
File: 1403315577148.jpg (741 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
1403315577148.jpg
741 KB, 2560x1920
>>2832343
Turbografx-16, no.

PC Engine? Absolutely, yes.

There were only 94 official hucard games released in the U.S. versus the over 300 released in Japan, and that's not even including the CD games.

Japanese games are also way cheaper and won't cost you an arm and a leg like a majority of the North American library will.
>>
>>2832343

No interest in Sega?

TG is cool but you'll almost never run into stuff for it "in the wild" so you'll need to either have a lot of money or get a flashcart/burn isos
>>
>>2831909
>star parodia

way too easy. you'll have like a gazillion lives by the time u get to the last boss. the secret difficulty mode doesn't make things any better.

but more than that, too many areas where there's no enemies or bullets on the screen. waste of space and time.

star parodia: 7.5/10
>>
>>2832343
Some ports or sequels to games you may have played on Nintendo consoles

Gradius
Salamander aka Life Force
Double Dragon II
River City Ransom
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Ninja Gaiden
Super dodgeball
Nintendo World Cup
Parasol Stars: Story of Bubble Bobble III
Bomberman series
Galaga 88
Space Invaders remake
Star Soldier series
1943 Kai
Liquid Kids (sequel to New Zealand Story)
Bonk series
New Adventure Island

Shockman is pretty similar to Megaman. Use Turbo settings if you play it
>>
>>2832407
adding on to this

Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
Vigilante (sequel to Kung Fu)
Legendary Axe (much better than Astyanax)
Jackie Chan Action Kung Fu
Puyo Puyo
Neutopia II (skip the first game. very similar to Zelda 1)
Buster Bros (Pang on SNES)
Batman (Sunsoft, not a platformer but still as good)
>>
>>2831887
gate is better than winds, winds is baby mode easy shmup. Gate is a sick thunderforce rip off
>>
r and rx shills need to fuck off, there is literally no point to getting an r or and rx when recapped duos are much more common and much cheaper. Just retards that want to feel okay about getting conned out of another 300 bucks.
>>
>tfw you have the turbografx, all the controller types, cable cord extensions, multiport, etc. and tons of games and you're really happy with it
>>
>>2832407
>>2832415
Where's Lords of THunder and Spriggan you piece of shit?
>>
>>2832424
Uh no. Gate of thunder is babby mode game that you can beat in 15 minutes. winds of thunder on the hardest diffi will ROCK YOUR SOCKS OFF NIGGAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>2832571
>ports or sequels of nes or Snes games

Learn to read prick
>>
>>2832609

>Rondo blood
>port/sequel

>Star soldier series
>port/sequel

>bonk series
>port/sequel

>legendary axe
>port/sequel

>neutopia
>port/sequel

>batman tg16
>port/sequel

Just how retarded are you?
>>
File: coryoon.jpg (172 KB, 400x406) Image search: [Google]
coryoon.jpg
172 KB, 400x406
Anyone play this fine piece of ass?
>>
>>2832706
its spiritual successor (aka zonk) is better. but pretty decent game although i'm not a fan of the fruits
>>
>>2832668
Bonk has an nes version

star soldier was an nes game

legendary axe has a related game called Astyanax

neutopia is a direct ripoff of zelda

batman uses same music as nes batman, also same developer

rondo is a castlevania game dipshit
>>
>>2832572
winds you can blow through with no problems if you use the right armors
>>
>>2832801
You're retarded.

PCE bonk is the original and the nes is the port

legendary axe is an original game, PERIOD. would you call Fatal Fury the sequel to Street Fighter 1 just because it had the same game designer? anyway, regardless, it's not a port or sequel.

neutopia is NOT a port or sequel.

Batman is NOT a port or sequel.

Rondo being castlevania doesn't make it a port or sequel you retarded piece of shit.
>>
>>2831937
I've had my doujindance system for about 4 years now, no problems at all (except for the lack of a dedicated csync output, it uses composite video instead, which can be a bit of an issue for some displays. I'm just too lazy to buy/build a sync stripper)
>>
As someone who recently picked up a PC engine what games do you guys recommended? I don't like going to websites about this topic cause I don't feel like the person writing is genially recommending the game. Here are the kind of games I like.
Action platformers similar to MegaMan x, cadtlevania, contra etc.
Shmups like R-Type and Gradious
Jrps or action RPGs similar to FFVI and Illusion of giga.
Any ideas my friends?
>>
>>2832931
I just notice I miss spelled Castlevania my bad.
>>
>>2832881
some of those games are on pce

Action Platformers

Shockman
Castelvania: Rondo of Blood
Legendary Axe I and II
Genji Tsushin Agedama
New Adventure Island
Liquid Kids
Ninja Spirit
Ninja Gaiden

Shooters

R-Type and Gradius
Salamander (Life Force)
Gradius II
Parodius
Download
Soldier Blade
Lords of Thunder
Gate of Thunder
Gunhed
Mr. Heli
Aero Blasters
Coryoon
Darius
Air Zonk

RPGs

Legend of Xanadu I and II (currently being translated)
Gulliver Boy
Tengai Makyou Manjimaru
Ys IV: Dawn of Ys (translated)
Anearth Fantasy Stories
Blood Gear
>>
>>2832931
My Own Top 10 HuCards, no order.

Parasol Stars
Bonk's Revenge
Soldier Blade
Gunhed
Air Zonk
Bomberman 94
Cadash
Ninja Gaiden
Legendary Axe
Download

Honorable Mentions:

Super Dodgeball
Salamander
Final Soldier
Street Fighter II: CE
Bomberman 93
Legendary Axe II
Mr. Heli
Liquid Kids
SonSon II
>>
>>2832931
Depends if you want CD games too but:
SHMUPS:
Download 2
Lords of Thunder
Nexzr
Super Darius 1 & 2
Blazing Lazers
Soldier series
Pyscho Chaser
Dragon Spirit
Dragon Saber
Aero Blasters
Salamander
Forgotten Worlds
Rayxanber 2 & 3
Sylphia
Zero Wing

Action platformers:
Genpei Tomaden (sequel has even more platforming)
Splatterhouse
Bonk series
Renny Blaster
Legendary Axe (and it's sequel)
The Newzealand Story
Valkyrie no Densetsu
Valis series
Kaze Kiri
Popful Mail
Strider Hiryuu
Dragon's Curse

Action RPGs:
Ys 1 - 4
Exile 1 & 2
Xak 1&2 and 3
>>
>>2833392
>>2833340
Thanks man I will look those up
>>
Would anybody be interested in watching an anon attempt beating Gunhed/Blazing Lazers on twitch?
>>
>>2833536
As cool as it would be, advertising in all forms is against the rules.
>>
>>2833557
you're right, oh well.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
My favorite pce and turbo games so far:

Xak 3
Beyond shadowgate
Panic bomber
Dracula x chi no rondo
Silent odyssey 2
Outrun
Parasol stars
Splatterhouse

Games i cant wait to try:
Kaze kiri
Dynastic hero
Dungeon explorer 2
Mad stalker
Sprighan mk 2
Sapphire
Lords of the rising sun
Son son 2
Jackie chan kung fu
>>
>>2833557
>>2833571
This makes me think I should start a channel where I just play MVS arcade games.

I kinda hate the twitch culture, but it might be decent motivation to git gud at my games.
>>
>>2833662
>Dynastic hero

Not worth it desu. Worse than the original in both music and graphics

Buy Blood Gear instead, also by Westone and even more similar to Zelda 2 than wonderboy is

Wonder Boy III dragon trap also has saving and 60 fps on pce
>>
>>2832801
>>2832609
>>2832571
Hey, sorry for cussing at you yesterday. I was just in an edgy mood because I'm an idiot. Peace out.
>>
>>2833663
been wanting to start a "Game Over" series on youtube where I play a game until I get the Game Over screen or beat it. I would also be motivated to do my best for each game.
>>
>>2833662
>>2832931
Remember that you can burn the CD games, and it works fantastic.
>>
>>2833662
Where did you get that Dracula X? Is it a reprint with the English patch?
>>
>>2835917
nvm i'm an idiot
>>
How are the emulators for this system?

PC Engine looks awesome but so exspensive.
>>
>>2835945
mednafen is my favorite. Really easy to use if you take 10 minutes to read up on it. No need for a frontend at all...

ootake is just too cluttered. also, hotkeys are all over the place so you can't reassign your keys on the alphabets lest you wanna trigger hotkeys all day. you cannot reassign hotkeys, so, yeah.

magic engine. solid. used to be the best. but i hate the fact that you can't load up a cue/iso. Really fucking annoying that.

turbo engine: decent, but has fucked up scaling and shitty bilinear filtering
>>
>>2836041
>>2835945

mednafen is the only right answer.
>>
>>2835945
could just buy a flashcart

They go for $100 or less. Let's you play every HuCard
>>
>>2835945
>>2836139
Besides this solution, I personally find that most of the really good games are imported for ten dollars or less. Pc cdrom however, those are expensive. The most valuable hu cards are typically inferior ports anyway, or novelty games that lose their charm as quickly as they empty your wallet.
>>
>>2836262
The eBay shop 'hit-japan' almost always has discounts, and they've got just about every hu card there is. From tatsujin to magical chase. But if you're looking for the more popular titles, like bomberman, gunhed, thunder blade, outrun, etc, you can usually find them each for less than ten or twenty a pop, depending on condition and whether they come with the case or not. But again, the optimum solution is to get a pc engine and a turbo everdrive.
>>
>>2839194
it's better at sprites than the snes, actually
>>
>>2839194
i can't think of a single snes shooter that isn't slow as molasses
>>
>>2839194
>best of 5th gen: PS1
>best of 6th gen: PS2
>best of 7th gen: Wii
The best consoles of each respective gen were also the weakest.

Coincidence?
>>
>>2839194

Dumb frogposter.
>>
File: ooga booga frogposters.png (42 KB, 721x481) Image search: [Google]
ooga booga frogposters.png
42 KB, 721x481
>>2839194
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.