[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Square is charging 22 dollars for the android version of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 13
File: 1449033671200[1].jpg (101 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
1449033671200[1].jpg
101 KB, 600x337
>Square is charging 22 dollars for the android version of FF5
>horrendous graphics
>zero gameplay updates with same extremely dated gameplay
>looks like a fan project
>According to Square, this is what the current up to date version of the game is supposed to be
>FF6 android coming soon!

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/382890/
>>
>>2829669
>Not using the SNES version but instead spent more time and money on a shitty graphical change and localization.

SE is just wasting time and money on these. They could just literally use a fucking ROM and localize a translation like SEGA did with Monster World IV when it was released to VC.
>>
>>2829678
>spent more time and money on a shitty graphical change and localization.

They didn't spend much, I can tell you that. Everything looks rushed and cheap.

The monsters are just tracing from the original drawings. The character sprites look like trash. Many areas use texture blocks that don't line up properly and have visible seams.

This thing was thrown together in a weekend.
>>
>>2829747
All the remakes bar FFI and II on Playstation are trash.
FFIII and IV DS are debatable, but the rest of em on PSP and Mobile are trash. As you say, everything looks rushed and cheap on all of them.

Best stick to ports, and while the GBA versions of all the games have some brightness issues, they're probably the best versions of each Nintendo era game.
>>
>>2829669

The iOS remake is literally the DS remake.

Apple wins again, you faggots.
>>
>>2829669
just download and emulate the snes rom
>Butz
>>
>>2829764
>The iOS remake is literally the DS remake.

I wasn't aware that Final Fantasy 5 got a remake for the DS.
>>
>>2829669
I don't like the character sprites, but the rest of the game looks good. 22 dollars is a fair price for a game.

If you don't want it, there are plenty of other versions of FFV you can play for free any time you want. Getting even slightly peeved about this is hilarious.
>>
>>2829669
>extremely dated gameplay
I think you have confused this place for some other board friendo

Graphics in these remakes look shit, but why on earth would you want replace literal RPG perfection with some retarded actiony bullshit?
>>
File: faris-dancer.jpg (4 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
faris-dancer.jpg
4 KB, 100x100
>>
File: scammed again.png (110 KB, 847x431) Image search: [Google]
scammed again.png
110 KB, 847x431
>>2829669
>>
Regardless of whether you like the PSP sprites less than the original, we can all agree the PSP art for 1, 2 and 4 are dramatically better than the mobile versions.
>>
>>2830278
It reminds me of the old art style for the game. I like the original sprites better, but they're not awful.
>>
>>2829760
At least give the PSP version of 4 some credit. It's better than the GBA version in pretty much every way, plus it comeswith The After Years, which has fanfiction tier plot, but is more difficult than the original was.
>>
Square has really gone downhill since the merger. I don't think there's a single Square Enix product I care to own. All of their original games play like they were written and designed by the Kingdom Hearts team. All of their ports have been awful, their localization department has since gone to hell, and they keep churning out shitty cash-ins like ATB.

>>2830278
>we can all agree the PSP art for 1, 2 and 4 are dramatically better than the mobile versions

You're implying there's anything redeemable about those versions, which there is not. The enemy sprites look like they were rendered by several different artists. Some sprites look blurry compared to others, some look like they were poorly upscaled from the GBA version, the colors are inconsistent and clash with the backdrops, etc. 5 minutes into these games, and anyone can recognize that zero effort was involved.
>>
>>2830297
Not that guy but I really hate the art style on the PSP ports. To me it's nearly as bad as the mobile ones, though at least it's consistent.
>>
>>2829760
FFIV and FFV are better on the GBA (with proper saturation and brightness settings) because the graphics and translation are vastly improved and the music is largely intact, with patches if you want the exact original music. FFVI has no graphical updates, and though the translation is improved it's not as dramatic of an improvement as with the other two, especially if you've used the Ted Woolsey Uncensored patch. The music is my biggest issue though, on IV and V it sounds fine but VI is a mess, songs are sometimes out of tune which I can't even fathom a professional musician doing. The music patch also doesn't work right, it's mono with a constant hiss of white noise due to limitations of the system even on an emulator.
>>
File: 1447913074125-4.jpg (458 KB, 845x784) Image search: [Google]
1447913074125-4.jpg
458 KB, 845x784
Who gives a crap about any FF game before VI? They had highschool-tier plots and broken gameplay, they have no worth other than as historical artifacts. SE constantly remaking and re-releasing these games is a waste of time on their part.
>inb4 b-but IV had a good plot!
>>
>>2830472
II, III and V all have far better mechanics than VI.
>>
>>2830472
III and V are miles more popular and well-received in Japan than VI, your post-ironic contrarian opinion is irrelevant

Enjoy seeing HD remakes of III, IV and V on PS6 next decade and a real remake of VI never
>>
>>2830472
I liked IV, V, and VI but couldn't get even halfway through I. Haven't felt like playing any others since that slog.
>>
>>2830472
>Who gives a crap about any FF game before VI?

I'll take IV and V over VI any day
At least they don't turn into shit halfway through or have a joker rip off for a main villain
Also, the job system from V absolutely rapes the esper system
>>
>>2830472
>highschool-tier plots

High school level literature is more intricate and deep than any FF game.
>>
File: ULUS10560_00000.jpg (274 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
ULUS10560_00000.jpg
274 KB, 1366x768
>>2830440
>To me it's nearly as bad as the mobile ones

Yeah, no. Compare this to the fucking OP pic.
>>
>>2829669
The bad graphics is due to a poor design decision. Instead of using low-res sprites and scaling them up for high-resolution devices, they're using high-res sprites and scaling them down for low-res devices. The mobile ports would look much better if they had stuck with a fixed resolution.
>>
>>2830652
FFVII has a more interesting story than most literature. It still has the best opening of any FF game, getting straight to the action, and it has the best use of an unreliable narrator in any game I'm aware of, setting up a superb plot twist.
>>
>>2830691
>FFVII has a more interesting story than most literature.

You have to either be 12 years old or illiterate. That was almost painful to read.
>>
File: final_fantasy_v_15.jpg (230 KB, 1504x745) Image search: [Google]
final_fantasy_v_15.jpg
230 KB, 1504x745
>>2830675
Meh, I like how it looks like the old Jap art style.
>>
>>2830691
>unreliable narrator

Unreliable narrator is just an excuse for sloppy writing.
>>
>>2830710
Not him, I'm the one who called him an idiot for saying FFVII was better than most literature, but the unreliable narrator aspect of Cloud is one of the better things about the game and is done better than most.
>>
>>2830675
Look at the player's party. Other than the PSP being a bit clearer it's not very different.
>>
>>2830691
>>2830693
>>2830718
I've never played FFVII. Is it even worth playing as an adult? I really only liked the SNES Final Fantasies, played the NES ones (I and II) and they didn't do much for me. Maybe I should wait for that remake?
>>
>>2830693
I voluntarily read all the way through Moby Dick for fun once. "Literature" is hugely overrated.
>>
>>2830725
I would bet the remake is going to be worse than the original. If you liked IV and VI, you'll probably like VII. I think it's one of the least interesting games in the series in most ways, but it does have a few interesting things. The main character is actually somewhat psychotic and is indeed unreliable which is kind of interesting.

So if that sounds neat to you I'd give it a try. If not, it's probably not worth your time.
>>
>>2830729
I was taking a drink of water and literally did a spit take when I read that. You just made my day. If you honestly think Final Fantasy VII is a better, more meaningful and well written story than Moby Dick you are stupid. There's no way around it.
>>
>>2830737
Cloud: "I'm fucked in the head because an evil corporation did weird magical experiments on me, but I learn to overcome my past and grow into an effective leader."
Ahab: "I'M ANGRY ABOUT A WHALE."

Also, bonus incorrect biology lessons.
>>
>>2830729
Lemme guess, you never went to college.
>>
>>2830741
Computer Science. I don't fall for the literature scam like gullible liberal arts students. Genre fiction is generally superior.
>>
>>2830743
You major in CS and you still think FF7's story is deep? Perhaps the Cloud's story is just more relatable you.
>>
>>2829669
>play FF on android
>get about 1/3 in
>wonder why there is no map
>turns out you need to hold the stats button pressed to show world map
Jesus christ
>>
>>2830740
Thanks for proving my point.

>>2830743
>Genre fiction is generally superior.

Just holy shit to this.
>>
>>2830748
It sounds like he regards any book that doesn't have dragons or wizards as inferior so it's not exactly surprising he holds FFVII so high. Also the fact that he had to point out he read "all the way" through Moby Dick.

This is like the guy a few weeks back trying to say Planescape Torment is one of the greatest stories ever told and when challenged he was only comparing it to fantasy genre fiction.

Sometimes this board is truly hilarious.
>>
File: 1444271080609s.jpg (5 KB, 250x175) Image search: [Google]
1444271080609s.jpg
5 KB, 250x175
>>2830691
>>2830743
>STEMfags

I appreciate your contribution to technology and videogames but please, please leave humanities and arts to people who actually know those, also this>>2830753
>>
>>2830753
>Planescape Torment is one of the greatest stories ever told

I'd be inclined to agree, if we're only comparing videogame plots.
>>
>>2830743
>plays FF for the god-awful story
>fell for the CS meme degree

Look fellahs, we got ourselves a genuine loser here.
>>
>>2830782
>plays FF for the god-awful story
>implying there's any other reason to play a JRPG
>>
>>2830693
I like the mix of past, present and future it has going on, although, that's more of an aesthetic thing
>>
>>2830786
1,3,5 had good gameplay for the time. Of course SMT and DQ shits on it, but still.
>>
>>2830792
>DQ shits on it

let me type out my laughter - hahahahahahaha
>>
>video game story is being discussed
>some approval seeking manbaby mentions how literature is superior

every time
>>
>>2830792
>5 had good gameplay for the time
it still has great gameplay. DQ and SMT are incredibly boring and formulaic in comparison.
>>
>>2830786
>implying there's any other reason to play a JRPG
Well, of course there is, you're just too pleb and only play mainstream garbage with no difficulty and terrible systems and think you know it all, that doesn't mean JRPG can't be difficult.
>>2830792
>DQ
M8, FFII alone is still vastly more complex and innovating than any DQ titles ever conceived to this day, DQ never went much beyond attack, buff/debuff and magic and a seriously lackluster and simplistic class system.
>>
>>2830909
>a seriously lackluster and simplistic class system.
Take a look at VII's class tree before you start spewing dumb shit like that.

>FFII
>complex
Troll as fuck, it doesn't even have jobs and started the whole "anyone can do anything" shite that almost every FF copied after 5.
>>
>>2830925
>"anyone can do anything"
you mean, anything YOU want them to do is inferior to "what the devs want them to do"?
>>
File: 1446125411458.jpg (51 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
1446125411458.jpg
51 KB, 620x670
>>2830925
>Dragon Warrior VII Class tree
>Complex
HAHAHAHAHA, m8 I'm dying over here.
>it doesn't even have jobs and started the whole "anyone can do anything" shite
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh the tears, so you're telling me that a game with complex stat systems, proficiencies, damage type multipliers and a free growth system that actually simulates real roleplay that reflects into a character growth is inferior to a few premade templates and a half baked stat system?
You're simply delusional m8.
>>
>>2830935
Mate, you might want to look up what an Rpg is again. Its origins are in D&D and I don't recall it having an emo preteen class that is good with swords, casting magic, stealing, and whatever else you want thrown in because it appeals to your god complex.
>>
I can't think of a single FF thread I've read where everyone involved wasn't a giant shitspamming retard.

I'm not sure what that has to do anything but I feel the need to point that out.
>>
File: 23.jpg (951 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
23.jpg
951 KB, 1200x900
>>2830958
so I'm not really role playing because I want to be in control of the game? Gotcha.

>>2830960
thanks. Have this nymphet.
>>
>>2830731
I mean, at least the remake won't look so bad and choppy. I love SNES and NES games as much as the next guy but 5th gen 3D (all three consoles) is rather difficult to look at after playing modern games. If the story is the best part of the game I imagine that's the one thing that will remain largely untouched, if the battle system is uninteresting changes will either be for the better or neutral for the most part.
>>
>>2830965
>so I'm not really role playing because I want to be in control of the game? Gotcha.
Nope you're just using an inferior and more broken and imbalanced system, continue thinking classless is better though, gives me a chuckle at how stupid and bad at games you really are.
>>
>>2830450
This guy has it right.

Play FFIV and FFV on GBA (with patches where relevant), and FFVI on SNES with the Woolsey Uncensored patch.
>>
>>2830965
name of the comic please
I BEG YOU!
>>
File: 1432649891599.jpg (71 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1432649891599.jpg
71 KB, 720x480
>>2830958
>Its origins are in D&D and I don't recall it having an emo preteen class that is good with swords, casting magic, stealing, and whatever else you want thrown in because it appeals to your god complex.

I take you really didn't play much D&D back in the days? And really, it doesn't even take D&D to prove that DQ is severely lacking in mechanics, even FF got something as simple as elemental weaknesses before DQ did.
You can even consider emo preteens protagonists good since DQ is stil far behind it as far as character development is in the series.
>>2830979
>Actual Roleplay where I get to choose how to develop my character according to how I use them is inferior to premade bullshit I've got no control on
>Let's also conveniently forget that you lose stats too according to how you grow
>M...MUH PREMADE CLASSES

Nobody who has enough knowledge of actual roleplay and tabletop games can be this retarded, this has to be extreme falseflagging.
>>
>>2830979
so I'm the one who is stupid and bad at games because I want games where actual customization happens rather than everything being preset? And because I want battles where you can use all kinds of strategies, like Necrophobe for example, rather than the most simplistic tank and spank? Please. Just please.

>>2830994
Rozen Maiden
>>
>>2831000
thanks going to read it all!
>>
>>2830958
You just described the original D&D Bard.
>>
>>2830995
Unless you're playing like wizardry or daggerfall or some shit. there isn't much that compares to even a simple PnP
>>
>>2830792
>Of course SMT [...] shits on it, but still.
I say this as one of the most die-hard SMT fanatics out there, but the gameplay in most retro-era SMT games is complete balls unless you're looking for a very niche kind of experience. Comparing it to FF doesn't even really make sense. FF focuses largely on combat with flashy and novel mechanics, while in SMT that aspect is neglected in favor of grinding and exploration; by that I mean, SMT has interesting grinding mechanics like fusion and magnetite, but actually fighting the bosses is pretty boring.
>>
File: FF1A.jpg (565 KB, 1280x2880) Image search: [Google]
FF1A.jpg
565 KB, 1280x2880
>>2830750
So I just finished FF1.~20h in total
>>
>>2830258
They actually don't look that bad once you remove the black outline.
>>
>>2829669
those graphics are literally reddit-tier
>>
>extremely dated gameplay
FF5 isn't amazing or anything but there are plenty of games right now with worse mechanics
>>2830242
>I think you have confused this place for some other board friendo
And yet you're the only one who took issue with it so everyone else agrees (except me)
>>
>>2835473
It's more about the design change
>>
>>2830750
Well, IIRC in the GBA version you have to press SELECT + B or some obstuse shit like that. I actually went through the whole game without knowing about the map (I just googled one)
>>
File: 010320.jpg (115 KB, 612x936) Image search: [Google]
010320.jpg
115 KB, 612x936
>>2835536
>IIRC in the GBA version you have to press SELECT + B or some obstuse shit like that.
Get cultured.
>>
>>2830750
At least it's not like in FFIV where viewing the map is actually a spell. It's so annoying because I already feel low on MP most of the time.
>>
>>2835629
You are fucking shitting me.
Are they retarded?
>>
>>2829669
what is this? rpgmaker?

that aside, i still cannot fathom how people play games like this without buttons. navigating inventory screens must be nauseating.
>>
>>2836216
Sad thing is the current RPG Maker looks miles better than this garbage.
>>
>>2836216
>le rpg maker meme
Nigger as someone who was part of the RPG maker community back when Don Miguel's shenanigans spawned a bunch of decent games, I can tell you that you have NEVER touched ANYTHING relating to RPG Maker in your ENTIRE LIFE
>>
>>2835632

It's a pretty cheap spell, and there's also single-use items that effectively do the same thing. Honestly though, FFIV's 3 overworld maps are pretty tiny, and there's all of maybe 2 or 3 points where you don't already know where you're going, and even then you've already pretty much got the one of the Airships, making it pointless.

As for MP needs, I'm guessing that was with Tellah and his artificially low MP. Eventually Cecil, Rosa and Porom should have it. Hell, Cecil almost never needs his magic anyway.
>>
>grab FFV for PS1 on PSP
>literally play FFV along with every other game from 1-9 including tactics and Vagrant Story on the go for completely free

Yeah, protip, if you get yourself a PSP you can play all the good FFs on it.
>>
>>2836426

Oof. That translation tho. Pirate talk Faris is an abomination, not to mention shit like Y-Burn
>>
>>2835458
Yeah, the game isn't too big.
It was an NES game after all.
Now try the original difficulty mode on FF Origins.
>>
>>2836443

Spells per Day ends up not being much of a handicap after the first few levels. Even more so once you start finding the use-cast weapons/armor.
>>
>>2829669
Gotta train them interns, I guess.
>>
>>2829669
>VI
Oh god it's going to be even worse.

That piece of shit can't even run in the resolution V does in mobile. Not to mention that horrendous UI.

>>2829764
V-VI are GBA.
III, IV, and DQ IV-VI are DS.

Everything else is taken either from earlier mobile or PSP.
>>
>>2836443
I was going to play II anyway so might as well give it a shot.
Thanks.
>>
File: 1449032817535.png (900 KB, 1500x679) Image search: [Google]
1449032817535.png
900 KB, 1500x679
Choose wisely.
>>
>>2830691

Tactics exists and you're going on about your shit anime game?
>>
>>2830307
you seem so unhappy
>>
>>2830725
it's a phenomenal game
>>
>>2836238
jesus christ calm down he's talking about default rtp RPG Maker
>>
>>2836238
i think you missed the point.
I didnt mean it as a potshot at rpgmaker or its users.
I was taking a shot at square and these godawful looking sprites
>>
>>2838698

Very true though, Even RPG make 2k3 has better battle sprites.
>>
>>2836529
Yeah, but I didn't mean it in a "Hahaha, now try THIS one true challenge of gaming!" I just wanted him to see how the original one played (despite the lack of a 4-armor/weapon limit on characters)
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.