[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bgg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: minsc and boo 2 koo 4 skoo.gif (51 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
minsc and boo 2 koo 4 skoo.gif
51 KB, 210x330
Baldur's gate general
>>
>>2827540
Could somebody please explain to me entangle? It seems like a useless spell. It's only ever fucked me over. Maybe once or twice i got lucky with it
>>
>>2827541
Don't use it near your party members. It's used as a "soft" wall, either you go through and chance getting caught, or you go around. Your party, in the meantime, should be using ranged attacks and/or flanking around the affected area to surround those caught in the middle.

It's a tactical spell, much like grease (though the associated tactics with grease are quite different, of course.)
>>
>>2827560
>>2827560
alright thanks anon. I just thought it was an early spell and offensive projectile magic was a waste of a slot in BG2
>>
Are the orginal games worth it or am I better off playing the Enhanced versions?
>>
>>2827690
I tried playing the originals a few years back and I just couldn't handle it.

Picked up the EE's last year and loved every second.
>>
>>2827690
Depends. If you're lazy, don't care about purist experiences (some of the EE stuff is awful, like forced BG1 to BG2 mechanics conversion) and just want to pick up and play it immediately, I guess EEs are fine.

But given the fact that you can mod an original version to do everything EE does and more (since some mods are not, nor probably ever will be, EE-compatible) in like 20 minutes tops, and the originals are cheaper, I'd myself go for the originals always.

It helps that I tried EE and mostly hated the bonus content, like the new NPCs -- who are especially jarring in BG1EE, because they stand out too much from the less interactive crowd

As such, I consider most of the EE content to be a subpar mod addition, and when it comes to mods, you can do better.

And EE won't handle World of Baldur's Gate or some other Big World compilations (by which we mean modpacks that install a shitload of content immediately in a funsized package), either.
>>
>>2827724
>forced BG1 to BG2 mechanics conversion
wait...please explain?
>>
>>2827729
Both BG1 and BG2 are based off of a certain mold of AD&D. BG2's system features three bonus new classes (and EE features some more on top of that), a new proficiency point system, the ability to dual-wield, etc.

The problem is, I always found that system kinda unfit for BG1. In BG1EE, you will find NPCs who have proficiency points put nowhere in the right places (Shar-Teel becomes a dual-wielder, for instance, sacrificing precious points into actual skills [giving her a rather crap early game], when in the original she was both a capable skirmisher and archer). It also means you have to decide on a proper weapon of choice from the start: in BG1, you had groups of weapons like "Large Swords", "Blunt Weapons" and "Small Swords", but in EE, due to BG2 mechanics, you have to put points into an individual weapon, so you won't be able to use Scimitars as well as you would Greatswords or Clubs as well as you could Staves.

And I have that autism where I try to recommend the most mechanically "pure" versions of games for first playthroughs, and EE doesn't come with a switch that adjusts what you want and what you don't want.
>>
>>2827690
Up to you.
I kinda like the simplicity of BG1, I grew up with it, but at the same time it'd be exciting to check out EE for adding in things from BG2 that were sorely needed.
>>
>>2827747
>It also means you have to decide on a proper weapon of choice from the start: in BG1, you had groups of weapons like "Large Swords", "Blunt Weapons" and "Small Swords", but in EE, due to BG2 mechanics, you have to put points into an individual weapon, so you won't be able to use Scimitars as well as you would Greatswords or Clubs as well as you could Staves.

That's actually a pretty good point. I don't dislike the more specific proficiency, but BG1 wasn't made with it in mind.

Still, I kinda wanna give EE a go some time.
>>
>>2827752
Yeah. Another point is the BG2 kits and classes. All the EE NPCs utilize them and it kinda rustles my jimmies because it contributes to them standing out like a sore thumb.
>>
>>2827754
whats wrong with NPC's using BG2 kits? Shouldn't that be expected? I mean, new game, new kits. Why WOULDN'T you throw them in there?
>>
>>2827761
They just stand out.

BG1 NPCs were mostly made to have some core personalities and work off the whole "imagination" thing. Kivan the depressed elf ranger, Xan the depressed elf mage, Imoen your cheerful companion thief, etc. Then they are put next to Dorn il-Khan (meaning he's related to one of the final bosses), a half-orc bisexual blackguard (pretty strong powers, particularly early on) with his own cool sword (which is one of the better swords of its kind in the game, given how early you get him), one of the strongest stats for NPCs (no real weaknesses; he's a no-brainer for evil parties) and initiates talk with you all the time. I mean it - he has a lot to talk to you about, and it's just kind of annoying.

But on the other hand you have people like Rasaad who have to start off with a ton of their own gear and they still suck balls because Monks just suck balls in BGEE and Rasaad is no different, but he still is as talkative as any of the other EE NPCs.
>>
>>2827754
I kind of like a lot of the specialized classes in BG2 though, so that doesn't bother me.
>>
>>2827780
What if I treat Dorn as a boss and kill him on sight, then sell his loot?
>>
>>2827690
imo all the originals need is a resolution patch
>>
>>2827747
>And I have that autism where I try to recommend the most mechanically "pure" versions of games for first playthroughs,
The 'good' autism, then.
>>
Saerileth mod best mod.
>>
So in bg2ee is there any point in not making a their? The npc theifs are crap and you don't have imoen for half the fucking game
>>
>>2827862
thats usually what I do
>>
>>2827752
>>2827747
>you have to put points in specific weapons instead of groups

That's actually more accurate to the source material. This is how proficiencies worked in AD&D but it was also one of the least popular rules and is usually dummied out by DMs.

3rd Edition had a great compromise in that most weapons were all part of one of two very broad groups, but you could only specialize in an exact weapon.
>>
So i'm making a Bounty hunter who also backstabs does this look good?

STR 18
DED 19
CON 12
INT 12
WIS 10
CHA 15
>>
>>2829159
should I dump CHA and go for more CON?
>>
File: saerilethmod.jpg (91 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
saerilethmod.jpg
91 KB, 800x600
>>2828657

Agreed
>>
>>2829412
Jesus. Someone thought that was good.
>>
So after hearing about these games for the last 14 years or so I got 1 and 2 for cheap off GOG and I'm playing through 1 on 2's engine thanks to mods.

HOLY SHIT, I can't stop getting my shit packed. How can I play this game and not suck at it, can anyone recommend a guide or something. I like a challenge but this is beyond frustrating. It feels like every time I enter a new part of the world map there are tons of baddies waiting around the corner waiting to wreck me. I'm trying to play as a fighter with most of my skill points in strenght and endurance. Generally making a tank character in western RPGs is pretty safe. Am I doing it wrong or am I a total bitch
>>
>>2829519
>Throw away offensive damage spells
>Focus on utility spells
>Learn about Thac0
>learn about AC
>pause LOTS
>Have a good mix or melee and ranged.
>try not to enter new areas without buffs
>>
>>2829527
>utility spells
This, offensive spells are pretty poor early on, especially since you'll have limited spell-slots.

You're a lvl1 mage, you have two Magic Missile memorized (because you can only memorize two spells at your level), you can do about 5-7 ranged damage with that if you're lucky, and that's not really going to do you a whole lot of good against a fighter with 17 hitpoints, or an ogre or something.

For low level mages, focus on buffs and disabling spells, cast protection spell on party members, summon something to help you fight, cast sleep on the enemy (leaving your party the opportunity to wander in and just stomp on them as they're on the ground).

Things like magic missile, chromatic orb, Melf's Acid Arrow, Larloch's Minor Drain, you gotta get up a level or two before those become useful for real, you need more spell-slots, for them to be worth your while.

Magic Missile is a level 1 spell, but it improves as your character gains levels, you get more projectiles per casting, they do more damage, they get a bit faster (I think?).
Magic Missile can't miss, and you can't save against it, but a level 1 MM is just inconsequential because of the low damage and the fact that you can't cast very many of them.

Also use character scripts. Get a good archer (like maybe a fighter with a longbow), DON'T get Khalid & Jaheira, they're cannon fodder and not worth sticking with. Get them early to fill out your party, but ditch them once you find better people. Someone should be a cleric and know some Cure Light Wounds and better.

Just having 'one good fighter' doesn't cut it, you need a party.
>>
>used to play this for years and years
>get ee1 as a gift, see it has new kits
>solo the game with a half orc berserker and dwarf defender over the weekend
growing up hurts

>roll a wild mage
>petrify myself before im out of candlekeep

kek
>>
>>2829412
So...an eternal fedora wearing virgin wrote this, I see.
>>
>>2829519
Crowd control spells are your friend, especially early on. Anything that charms, fears, disables movement. It basically shuts down parties.
>>
>>2829159
I find that, mostly, Charisma barely seems to do anything if it's not 18, so I'd get CON up to 16, but on the other hand, it's not that big of a deal.

You can also drop a few points from Strength if you want more CON but don't want your character to lose the dashing appeal.

Wisdom doesn't do anything for you at all.

>>2829519
BG1 is won by the power of the bow and melee only gets good by mid-game once you get magic weapons, and all your mages should spam Sleep.

>>2829617
>Get a good archer (like maybe a fighter with a longbow), DON'T get Khalid & Jaheira, they're cannon fodder and not worth sticking with
Veto! Khalid can be turned into one of the best archers in the game, better with time than Kivan and only barely worse than Coran, you just have to put his remaining ranks into bows. Jaheira is kind of meh, but she's a cleric-like that can use a Drizzt scimitar, and that's useful, though normally I'd kill her off to get Branwen or Yeslick later. And anyway, both Khalid and Jaheira are met in Friendly Arm Inn, you are supposed to go there anyway, they're plenty good for initial challenges and can be substituted for later, you have plenty of XP to do NPC switcharoos at leisure.
>>
>>2829842
As an assassin in BG2 is your backstab doomed to miss alot? I just made an assassin elf assassin. 18 str 19 dex. First tried daggers, missed all the time, now using short sword and STILL missing....i have Move silently up to 100 and Hide up to 75

Am i missing something?
>>
>>2829954
Single class thieves dont get much tohit bonuses. Striking from shadows properly gives you bonus 4 tohit tho. I recommend that the best assassin Build early game is dart thrower; 3 attacks per round, each applies poison. Assassin is best early on for disabling mages as poison goes thru stoneskin.
>>
>>2829983
so are you saying early game start with darts, then move on to bckstab later on?
>>
>>2829954
>assassin elf assassin
That's a lot of assassin. Is he a multiclass assassin/assassin?
>>
>>2829986
Yeah, short bow also good with the Tuigan and elf bonuses to bows.

Pure thief is always a meticulous playthru and i recommend lots of oils of Speed and invis items to maximize hiding ability
>>
>>2829987
lel my bad must have been drunk while typing that. No just the thief kit.
>>
>>2829994
awesome. Is it worth anything adding move silent past 100?
>>
>>2829842
>Jaheira is kind of meh, but she's a cleric-like
She's an AWFUL cleric and a very bleh fighter.
I don't think she ever managed to hold more than maybe two or three slots of Cure Light Wounds when I used her way back in the day. She was useless as a healer.
>>
>>2830050
She's great at the beginning of the game. Throw some armor on her send her to the front lines. The best part about her, if she dies who the fuck cares
>>
>>2830050
i keep her untill she gets cursed just for the quest.
>>
>>2830069
>She's great at the beginning of the game
Well yeah, if you have space n your party you might as well pack her along for the moment, she can carry stuff, and though her healing is pretty poor, it's better than nothing, every little bit helps.
I tend to give her a sling and bullets so she can stay at a distance and sometimes hit enemies with them, adds a little bit of usability, but I'd much rather have a proper archer or a cleric who can heal good.

Khalid isn't half-bad, he can be pretty good if you do things right, but Jaheira being attached to him kind of drags him down to me.
I know the trick about the Ring Of Folly, but I just don't have the heart to do that to happily married couple.
>>
>>2830093
oh man that early defensive harmony works wonders early game. Her insect swarm as well makes the slaver quest take 5 minutes. But I agree, past that fucking useless. She usually caries the poisoned guy to the docks for me and parts ways
>>
>>2830112
>defensive harmony works wonders early game. Her insect swarm as well makes the slaver quest take 5 minutes
You're talking about BG2 or EE or something, aren't you?

She was a bit more useful in BG2 because Druids were made to not be as useless, but on the other hand, her better half is dead
>>
>>2830050
>very bleh fighter
Being able to wield a Drizzt scimitar is good enough, and her physical stats are okay. As Fighter, she can imbue herself with Fighter-only STR potions (you don't need 18/xx strength in every trash mob encounter), her DEX and CON are okay, etc. And she has Entangle to make herself useful.

In both BG1 and BG2, she's really a late game character, IMHO. In BG1 because of Drizzt's scimitar, in BG2 because she's amazing with Ironskins and Fighter HLAs.

She's pretty okay for most players. Not the most optimized, but still a far cry from some other NPCs.

FWIW, my favourite powegaming cleric NPCs are Tiax and Quayle, and not because lol irony.
>>
>>2829828
it was a married couple if I remember correctly
>>
>BGEE
>druids dont get Icewind Dale spells
>bards dont get songs

one job beamdog, one fucking job.
>>
>>2827541
The spell is cool, the poblem is just that the aggro range and fog of war in these games is always so short, that's why you always hardly have any space between you and the enemy.
>>
Install World of Baldur's Gate.
>>
>>2830301
meant for
>>2830285
>>
you motherfuckers, first Diablo now this, you guys are killing me, I can't keep seeing these threads and then redownloading these games and playing for 24 hours straight, I draw the line after baldurs gate
>>
>>2827540
>Half-realtime-turn-based combat
Absolute haram!
>>
>>2830392
>linking >>>/v/
seriously needs to be a bannable offense now
>>
So, how do you solo as a kensei/mage? Do you just stock up on health potions get spells to open locks detect/disarm traps? I don't get it.
>>
>>2830886
Solo as Kensai/Mage is easy, just dual at an appropriate level (12-13 as solo even), stock up on scrolls and abuse spell scribing XP to rapidly gain levels.

You don't really need a Thief. Any trap can be facetanked, esp. with proper spells before hand. You have Knock for locks, and you can simply bash them open once you readily gain ways into 25 Strength.

All Mages have plenty of ways to turn themselves into total God Mode, and you will end encounters without having taken any damage, so you won't even need that much healing.

You can put on a Ring of Regeneration for a moment to deal with any health woes, anyway. But it never hurts to carry the 27 HP healing potions, anyway.
>>
>>2830964
start as kensai and dual into mage?
>>
>>2831010
Yeah. How else would you do that?
>>
>>2831029
sorry don't really know anything about dual class. So i just lost all of my weapon proficiency for kensai, how and when do I get them back?
>>
>>2831749
Just become a mage of a higher level than Kensai
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 220x220
So is anybody offended by the fact that the beginning of BG2 established that the 'real' playthrough of BG1 is done with Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc and Dynaheir?
>>
>>2831826
No.
>>
>>2829082
>theif
I really want to hear you pronounce it.
>>
who is gonna pirate the new expansion from bgee?
>>
>>2831826
Inconsistencies like that get handwaved, hence why you can tell quite a few people that they're "supposed to be dead" and they just brush it off.

That and Minsc hits like a truck, Imoen is an excellent thief, and Jaheira has the ability to raise the dead. They make up a solid fighter/mage/thief party for the first dungeon.
>>
>>2832215
thief my bad, I get excited when I type sometimes.
>>
>>2832380
also thieves
>>
>>2832356

I will, if they ever release it
>>
>>2832215
Thayf.
>>
>>2831826
It doesn't really. It only confirms that you adventured with them at some point. Maybe Imoen is implied to have stuck with you the whole time, but the rest were hired help. It also implies that you adventured with some of the other BG1 losers that you encounter, so obviously this so called 'canon party' weren't with you the whole time in 'canon'.
>>
>>2832365
>big bad motherfucker from the first game that I remember killing
>"Didn't I kill you?"
>remedy this with Horn of Blasting, sending the fucker flying and hemorrhaging
>>
>>2831826
In the book, that is indeed the canon party. Also, the main guy Abel is a colossal douche.

However, the game did a solid thing by pretty much making it clear that you travelled with every npc that you meet from 1 that is in 2 as well. Which is okay by me. Just that the before mentioned party is the one you were with when Irenicus went batshit.
>>
File: 1439863255918.jpg (32 KB, 300x310) Image search: [Google]
1439863255918.jpg
32 KB, 300x310
>>2833173
>In the book
>>
Thinking of picking it up on steam, does it work on Windows 10?
>>
>>2833435
EE should work.

>Windows 10
My condolences.
>>
Anyone here mind recommending some similar D&D based games?
I played baldurs gate, Icewind dale, NWN and Planescape torment and I think thats all the rts style wrpgs that I know.

Doesnt matter if its not retro, I just need something good.
>>
>>2834609
bump, also looking for similar
>>
>>2834609
Dark Sun Shattered Lands
Knights of the Chalice
modded ToEE
>>
File: cry-baby.jpg (200 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
cry-baby.jpg
200 KB, 800x533
>>2835382
WAAAHHH!! WAAAHHH!!! I DONT KNOW HOW TO ARTICULATE MYSELF SO IM JUST GOING TO SAY "CASUAL"! WAAAAHHHH!!!
>>
>>2835383
lol nah
but seriously in BG1 there are tons of NPCs for your party, I don't mind that most of them are just a portray and a voice actor. Actually it always lots of flexibility for your party.

In BG2 they reduced the number of NPCs but they all need to have their special backstory and shit, their special quest and equipment, you can romance them etc. I just prefer when I can simply use the normal game mechanics and not have all the NPCs be special etc
>>
>>2835382
You're not the only one, BG's1 it's the best game Bioware ever made.
>>
>>2833520
It is what I have. It was that or stay with Windows 8
>>
>>2835501
Should have gone back to 7 or gone to 9.

I usually say skip every other Windows OS, but I don't think they're gonna stop spying on people when Windows 11 comes around, I think this is it.
>>
>>2835389
You always had the option to use multiplayer to build your own custom group, and then they're back to portraits and a voice.

The way NPCs were handled was always a bit of a mess. Would have been better in my mind to have most of them parked at the Friendly Arm in 1 and let you pick your party without having to wander the sword coast to recruit everyone you wanted.

The whole thing they had going in 2 worked a bit better in that everyone still acted like they had individual goals instead of delivering a line about what they want out of life and basically forgetting about it once they joined your group. The only thing that was really awkward was the 3 females trying to jump in to your pants, except they wanted very specific responses.
>>
File: 1.jpg (23 KB, 190x247) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
23 KB, 190x247
Guess the class.
>>
>>2835690
Fighter/Mage/Thief
>>
Lore-wise, what would be the best time to do TotSC?

I usually do it after the second visit to Candlekeep but I don't know
>>
>>2835690
With 18 INT? Wizard.
>>
>>2835849
Bingo. Spent like 3 hours rolling.
>>
Can you have companions join you again after you drop them off?
>>
>>2835865
I rolled all 15+ the last D&D campaign I was at, then the DM asked me to reroll. I wasn't happy with that because the stats don't make the adventurer, the adventure does. Also, why say 4d6, drop lowest and not expect this to happen? I ran with an adventurer with 16, 12, 10, 9, 7, and 3 and didn't ask for rerolls.
>>
>>2835882
Well it makes sense in BG because as a child of god you're supposed to be overpowered.
>>
>>2835690
'Ezy Ryder' kensai/mage dual or a fighter/mage/thief multi
>>
>>2835880
Most of them, yes. Some (like Jaheira in BG2) get pissed when you drop them and can possibly leave forever.
>>
>>2827690
Enhanced if you're new
>>
>>2835690
Strength to 14 (breaking point for getting a reasonable max weight bonus) is really all you need if you aren't playing a melee class. 15 if you want to sacrifice 1 point in hell.
>>
>>2827690
Do you want to mod your game? If yes, avoid EE.

If you really have to play EE look what characters are new and avoid them like the plaque. They're shitty fanfic tier.
>>
>>2836012
It depends on your reputation. As Jaheira is neutral-aligned, she'll stay kicked or leave by her own volition if your reputation gets too high or too low, but nobody leaves at average reputation.

They make it crystal-clear when they do not approve of the party's reputation.
>>
>>2836029
Nah, Jaheira will leave you forever no matter your reputation if

1.) you're in her romance
2.) the whole harper shenanigans already happened and she has "no other place to go"
>>
>>2835690
>dicing a kansai for mage dual classing
>two hours latter
>93 points throw
>18/17 STR

#justbgthings

>>2835831
I always do it once I'm able to visit Baldur's Gate.
>>
>>2836067
>exceptional strength
>dual classing to magic user

You can't make effective characters with all-round strengths. Either stick with fighter types to maximize the usefulness of exceptional strength, or stick with wizard types to maximize your casting abilities from exceptional intelligence. Having levels from both just ensures that you'll be worse at both.
>>
>>2835849
>>2835865
Intelligence is such a bad stat on mages, though, you could have left it at 11 or so. So you could have given yourself a STR point instead.

No, seriously, it barely does anything.
>>
>>2835910

Sarevok rolled a 95, just saying
>>
>>2836091
No reason in not maxing out strength if you get the points.
>>
>>2836137
Having to buy int potions whenever you want to learn a few spells can be pretty inconvenient.
>>
>>2836173
Except if you're a wizard and then you could be putting any of those in literally any other stat and be the better for it.

Which is basically the entire point of what I said earlier.
>>
>>2836137
>No, seriously, it barely does anything

Holy fucking shit, ARE you being serious? The pre-requisite for casting a spell is that the caster must have INT equal to 10+spell level.
>>
>>2836202
Not in Baldur's Gate. Or at least, the original Baldur's Gate. EE might have changed that.

>>2836195
Still, if you're making a hybrid mage and need to skimp out on one of the core stat, skimp out on Intelligence.

I either change my difficulty to Very Easy while scribing scrolls or drink those potions anyway before scribing because having a 98% chance of scribing a one-of-a-kind scroll still means I'll likely fuck it up.
>>
>>2836274
>Not in Baldur's Gate

FUCKING VIDEO GAMES.
>>
>>2836278
IWD is much better at this whole "adapting AD&D" thing, isn't it? What with the proper implementation of bards and druids and shit.
>>
File: ad&d.png (23 KB, 647x568) Image search: [Google]
ad&d.png
23 KB, 647x568
>>2836278
That's how the actual game works too. You're thinking of third edition rules.
>>
>>2836294
OK, sorry, the math was INT => Spell level x 2. It's still fucking wrong to say "INT is a bad stat for mages"
>>
>>2836301
Well, it is for Sorcerers, even if the game says that Intelligence does something for them.

For Mages, I figure that the Mage would be the easiest character to play a minimum stat character or a character with little to no rerolling.

I mostly find high Intelligence to be a convenience thing for mages. I'd rather invest that into Wisdom to have better Wish outcomes, or Charisma for the Friends spell (in BG1 at least).

Of course you need to have at least 17 Int to dual into a mage, anyway.
>>
>>2836303
What's this sorcerers shit? AD&D only has one spellcasting class, the wizard (aka mage). Wish isn't affected by WIS and you'd need 18 intelligence to even cast it.

Like, does this game even follow the rules for 2nd Edition or is it just AD&D inspired?
>>
>>2836324
>What's this sorcerers shit? AD&D only has one spellcasting class, the wizard (aka mage).
BG2 introduces the 3rd edition's classes, Barbarian, Monk and Sorcerer, into a rather butchered AD&D form.

The core is there - Barb is the tankiest non-caster in the game, Monk is a speedy brawler with some special shit, and Sorcerer cast spells off the top of his head.

But they didn't give Sorcerer any stat whatsoever that determines his spellcasting.

>Wish isn't affected by WIS
In BG2, low WIS makes your character ask for things that he ends up regretting fast. To articulate the right Wishes to get actual positive benefits, you need high WIS.

>Like, does this game even follow the rules for 2nd Edition or is it just AD&D inspired?
The rules like THAC0, AC, Vancian magic etc. are there, but some sacrifices had to be made when translating the pnp into the computer. Some of those changes suck dick though, like how the Bard song doesn't seem to do anything and how Druids lost a ton of their "utility" spells that they couldn't carry over from pnp while still retaining their bullshit XP progression.
>>
>>2836338
>The rules like THAC0, AC, Vancian magic etc. are there, but some sacrifices had to be made when translating the pnp into the computer.

They really did a fantastic job considering how everything plays out in real time and not on a turn by turn basis like Fallout.
>>
>>2836197
If you have a 90+ roll there is literally no point in not pushing STR to 18+ considering all the bonuses.

>Except if you're a wizard

No. A Fighter/Mage.ö
>>
>>2836342
>>2836392
Oh God I'm leaving this thread, everything in it is like Opposite Day for AD&D. People advising that you should build wizards with low intelligence and high strength is honestly the height of retardation.
>>
>>2836439
You should learn to read before you call other people retards.

>wizards

Again, Fighter/Mage. How hard is it to understand?
>>
>>2835382
BG1 WAS the best. It was the only game i've ever got invested into to the point where I was getting excited and felt like I was almost in the game.

I remember that one part where I came across that spider bitch in the spider lair. I was extremely low level but I really wanted that sword from the chest. So I set my guys up in a big line going from the lair to the end of the map, and one guy would run and grab the sword and run to the other guy, hand him the sword, run to the other guy and hand HIM the sword. etc. etc. and as each guy handed off a sword he would take a couple spiders with him to distract them. It was so much fun
>>
>>2835690
Better not be kensai/mage like I did. The game isn't fun anymore. Seriously, WHY do people play that class? Do people actually have fun buffing for 5 minutes before every fight then mindlessly kill things while not taking a point of dmg?
>>
>>2836027
dorn il kahn and rashad are okay. Not great, but at least not absolutely horrid like the others
>>
>>2836137
If I wanted a limited number of spells I would roll sorcerer. The point of being a wizard is its flexibility.
>>
>>2837321
You can memorize all the spells you want if you just drink intelligence potions before scribing.

>The point of being a wizard is its flexibility.
This doesn't translate so well to BG, though. There aren't nearly as many combat situations or spells that warrant you having to change up. Sorcerers are not only straight up better - there are several no-brainer spells that any mage should take, and any extraordinary occurances can be dealt with with scrolls and wands, and you can make a sorcerer for a variety of playstyles - you will also reach certain spells much earlier than a Wizard, limited by scrolls.

Having the option to do something like Death Spell while still questing in Athkatla is pretty amazing. Wizard isn't likely to do that, that scroll is very rare pre-Ust Natha.
>>
>>2837370
>You can memorize all the spells you want if you just drink intelligence potions before scribing
I like min-maxing and all, but I have my limits
>>
>>2835382
>"here get this awesome magic sword but it could only ever work on a specific NPC"
literally never
>>
>>2839810
Moonblade.
>>
>>2836202
>>2836274
it's a bug that was fixed in the enhanced editions
>>
>>2839814
u talkin about bg1 or bg2 here retard
moonblade was in BG1 only withtout mods
>>
>>2837138
Want to break the game completely? Human ranger and dual class to cleric at level 9

You get your normal cleric spells and for some also ALL druid spells
2 points in 2 weapon skill makes him a beast with Crom Faeyr + Flail of Ages
Stealth is a nice bonus
>>
>>2835382
>it's really designed only for the main player

>several NPCs have sidequests of their own, will leave the party to deal with their own problems and will argue with the player about your choices

Only thing BG1 had over BG2 was exploration.
>>
In BGEE, at that inn in Nashkel, Khalid just got confused and started attacking us so we moved outside until the spell wore off. While we were outside I saw "Khalid does 1 damage to Commoner" in the log. I went back in after he cooled off, everyone's still friendly apart from the woman he hit. She'd red-ringed but isn't acting aggressively. Thing is, we can't rest because "there are monsters about". Is there any way of making her friendly again?
>>
>>2841082
maybe a charm spell
>>
>>2835690
Necromancer or Diviner.
>>2837138
Yeah, you can have a similar thing with much less hassle with a gnome fighter/illusionist. Much more normal that way, still quite neat.
>>2839969
Not many good kits for rangers though. Slinger=>Cleric is kind of silly, and the beastmaster kit is pretty shitty.
>>
File: Baldr000.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Baldr000.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Fuck you, BG.
>>
>>2841142
They're just bandits, easy pickings.
>>
>>2841148
I dunno, man. My party is half level 1, half level 2. See the 4th character down? That's a gnome thief/illusionist with just 4HP.
>>
My class HP per level says +5 but it only goes up by 3 (testing by lowering the difficulty to where it guarantees maximum HP up).
>>
>>2841158
>That's a gnome thief/illusionist with just 4HP.
He gon die
>>
>>2833221
Yes, that thing with papers which strange people sometimes turn and read words printed on it. Weird, I know.
>>
>>2831826
It's odd because I killed Minsc after he decided to attack me when we first met. I distinctly remember looting his corpse but there he was.
>>
File: 1449556016412.jpg (1 MB, 1057x1684) Image search: [Google]
1449556016412.jpg
1 MB, 1057x1684
Best magic user in BG1?
>>
>>2841142
>They changed Imoen's portrain on her scarred matured version.
Fuck you, EE.
>>
>>2841321
Bhaalspawn
>>
>>2841321
Quayle due to Illusionist/Cleric cheese and his special ability is nice too.
Dualled Imoen for a powerful mage that also shoots arrows (which are amazing in BG1) and does all the thieving utility.

Edwin is a cookie-cutter answer
>>
>>2841472
nice try
>>
>>2841128
Ranger/cleric is already overpowered enough. No need for a kit.
>>
any good portraits about paladin/knights?

210 x 330 it is possible.
>>
>>2841472
The thing is, her original one looks a lot older. She looks like a 40-year-old soccer mom with heavy makeup in BG1. It's really jarring when you call her "little one" at the start, it looks like you're talking to a stereotypical teacher at school rather than a cute little sister. She actually looks a lot more age appropriate in BG2 where they seemed to actually design a portrait for her rather than just tracing a photo of one of the dev's aunties.
>>
File: Craig2_zps1984cf2b.jpg (38 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Craig2_zps1984cf2b.jpg
38 KB, 210x330
>>2841758
>>
File: imoen.png (355 KB, 421x328) Image search: [Google]
imoen.png
355 KB, 421x328
>>2842519
the bg2 one has always looked really awkward to me, but maybe it's because i grew up seeing the first one
>>
>>2842531
It does look a bit awkward. Neither are that good. The general rule seems to be that the BG1 ones are more accomplished pieces of art (at least the faces, not so much the bodies) but really don't go with the character (or even race, in terms of Jaheira).

They do have this odd quality to them, though, like the Imoen BG1 one looks like it's reflected in a brass door knob, the way the hair blobs around her head, and her body seems oddly small and warped compared to the face. There's another problem I've noticed that almost every (or maybe every) female in BG1 has a really tiny chin. Plus a shitload of makeup on, typical of an older woman trying to look young.

The BG2 ones fit the characters/race/age more but then look like Photoshop-smudged trash drawings based around a photo of a face. Yet I can't get away from the fact that BG1 Imoen looks like a slutty, mature teacher from a porno whereas at least BG2 Imoen looks vaguely 20ish.

I got BG1 when it came out, I was about 17 at the time, and I couldn't believe how bad most of the portraits were in terms of fitting the character. I always played with a custom party because of that, and because the characterisation was so slight anyway. Remember, BG1 is a game that lets your PC have any portrait in the game and if it happens to be one of an NPC, they get a different one. The portraits actually being those specific NPCs seems like an afterthought. I'm sure they just got a batch drawn in isolation and then attributed them to NPCs later.
>>
File: wVMTbaN.jpg (49 KB, 398x313) Image search: [Google]
wVMTbaN.jpg
49 KB, 398x313
>>2842519
Which reminds me, has someone found all the photos the BG2 portraits were based on?
>>
>>2842572

Bottom line: IWD portraits are better
>>
>>2842592
Well just to bitch about everything here, the problem with IWD ones is that look literally like portraits, like oil paintings, rather than like people. A bit too abstract, maybe. But yeah, they lack the "I put a photoshop filter over a picture of my LARP buddies" feeling that BG has.
>>
>>2842572
>The BG2 ones fit the characters/race/age more but then look like Photoshop-smudged trash drawings based around a photo of a face.

Because they are >>2842585
>>
>>2842597
The BG1 ones are based on real faces too, drawn over photos even, but just of friends of Bioware going by how the "incredibly beautiful" NPC from BG1 - I forget her name - is a complete dog.
>>
File: 1428925274333.jpg (34 KB, 429x672) Image search: [Google]
1428925274333.jpg
34 KB, 429x672
PoE has the best portraits.
>>
File: Icewind_dale_portraits1.jpg (299 KB, 754x2061) Image search: [Google]
Icewind_dale_portraits1.jpg
299 KB, 754x2061
>>2842623
Full pleb.
>>
>>2842531
the demo was even worst
>>
>>2842640
But I don't want to fuck any of them.
>>
>>2842705
what? there are a couple of totally fuckable ladies there
>>
What are the best Forgotten Realms games in the old school first-person perspective? I've been playing the first Ravenloft game recently and it's put me in the mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOimzp-3vQg
>>
Is there any point to having more than one Turn Undead going at a time?
>>
>>2841741
It needs a kit to give it character. Hence, the focus on beastmaster. And that's half the problem with archer, on the one hand an archer not using bows doesn't benefit as much, on the other hand an archer using just a sling is particularly lame, even compared to an archer using a crossbow, that at least sounds okay.

You should be able to make a crossbow archer, and dual class to a thief or bard, that would feel quite natural.
>>
>>2827540
Whats your favorite way to play Bg2 /bgg/ ?
>favorite party.
>alignment.
>what class for the player.
>solo?
>>
>>2842530
fucking amazing
>>
>>2842760
double the rolls, of course.
>>
>>2842519
No she doesn't. She just looks a little fattish in the first, and then taller in the second. Though it is awkward, the first one looks more appropriate for a spellcaster, the second more appropriate for a thief. The earlier one would even work well for a bard.

Contrary to Edwin, who went from sturdy to kind of fat.
>>
File: secret-life-soccer-mom1.jpg (25 KB, 275x375) Image search: [Google]
secret-life-soccer-mom1.jpg
25 KB, 275x375
>>2843083
In an in-universe way, she looks like a middle-aged, drunk noblewoman looking for some adventurer dick as her husband's away doing business in the city.
>>
File: FaldornH_jpg.jpg (28 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
FaldornH_jpg.jpg
28 KB, 210x330
>>2843093
There actually is a decent edit of Imoen's picture which does make her look old, apparently from the same set as this one, which ironically makes Faldorn look so much younger.
>>
File: ShartelH_jpg.jpg (32 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
ShartelH_jpg.jpg
32 KB, 210x330
>>2843125
There were a bunch of these, IIRC for most or even all characters. They seemed to be mostly for the sake of making BG1 portraits fit with BG2.
>>
File: gallery_1014_16_3550.jpg (16 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
gallery_1014_16_3550.jpg
16 KB, 210x330
>>2843093
Here it is, I can totally agree that this one really does make her look like a "middle-aged, drunk, soccer mom with heavy makeup, looking for some adventurer dick"
>>
File: gallery_1014_16_13854.jpg (21 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
gallery_1014_16_13854.jpg
21 KB, 210x330
>>2843162
there's even one that fleshes out the noblewoman potential
>>
File: AlyssonHannigan-NimoenL.jpg (44 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
AlyssonHannigan-NimoenL.jpg
44 KB, 210x330
best edit
>>
>>2842930
>favorite party.
Right now is: Saerileth (yes, that one), Keldorn, Ajantis (mod), Isra (mod) and Imoen.
>alignment.
LG of course.
>what class for the player.
Undead Hunter or Lord (mod)
>solo?
Is get boring after a couple of times.
>>
>>2842640
Most of them have that tumblr-style diseased nose look.
>>
File: 1423870412360.jpg (44 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1423870412360.jpg
44 KB, 1024x1024
>>2843682
>Saerileth
How does it feels to have such a bad taste?
>>
>>2843758
you tell me, you sure go with thief and dirty fighters
>>
>>2842623
too bad its not very good
>>
>>2841142
the infamous 10 bandit random encounter,
the bane of many a solo no-reload run -_-
>>
>>2844012
>solo no-reload run

Stack up on invisible potions.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 227x326) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 227x326
>>2841472
Same with Jaheira... fucking EE
>>
>>2842592
Yep, they are really awesome. I tried to build every character around an idea of a person in my head and I always found a fitting portrait. I really enjoyed that
>>
>>2842705
Why not?
>>
>>2843556

My dick is tingeling
>>
>>2844071
How did the various kits work in this aspect for you?
>>
>>2844050
again, nice try.
>>
>>2843556
I normally hate these celebrity based ones, but this one is neatly done, particularly with the mix of her BG1 and BG2 hair.
>>
Do some daggers still use the small swords proficiency in BGEE?
>>
>>2841321
In 1? Edwin is still pretty good, Dyanaheir is excellent for blasting. If we're putting in clerics in the mix as well, then that dwarf you find in some mine. Fighter-cleric and a whole lot of bad assitude.
>>
>>2842930
The one I played and enjoyed was:

>>Main character, Keldorn, Korgan, Viconia, Imoen/Yoshimo, Edwin/Minsc.

>>Alignment: Neutral

>>What class the player: Wizard

>>Solo? Nah. I like the banter in this game.
>>
>>2841142
So I kicked him in the head till he was dead. Nyahaha
>>
>>2845246
pretty sure they have their own category
>>
File: iwdf12g.jpg (20 KB, 208x329) Image search: [Google]
iwdf12g.jpg
20 KB, 208x329
>>2845712
"...I... I can't believe I just said that!"
>>
Does anyone here play using the tactics mod?
>>
>tfw when you give your tanky dwarf fire resistance from multiple sources and then stick him in the middle of enemies while your mages cast fireball on him
truly the best tactic
>>
>>2848617
Even better with fire resistance over 100%
>>
>>2848635
that cheap and dishonest way to defeat firkraag... oh man, the nostalgia.
>>
Haven't played baldur's gate 1 or 2 in a while, is there any pros to the enhanced edition? I have the originals of both, just curious if they are actually worth playing or if all the changes are basically for the worse.

Also whats the most definitive way to play them now? Any fan patches or anything like that out there that improve them without busting its balance?
>>
>>2842930
>favorite party
"Canon party" for BG 1 - Imoen, Khalid, Minsc, Jaheira
BG 2- Yoshimo (replaced with Imoen when reobtained), Minsc, Jaheira, Mazzy, X (rotating position to complete all NPC side quests, ultimately filled permanently by Sarevok)
>alignment
Neutral Good - I go romance with Jaheira and like to imagine him joining the Harpers, so neutral good is the perfect alignment. It also matches what I see as the standard adventurer's alignment.
>what class for the player
Half Elven Fighter / Mage
No one ever goes Half-Elf.
>solo?
Not anymore. Even on max difficulty solo, there's no class in this game that's terribly difficult to beat the game with. I just play for the fun of the experience these days.
>>
>>2849234
>No one ever goes Half-Elf.
But it has access to all the multiclasses without any bullshit
>Not anymore. Even on max difficulty solo, there's no class in this game that's terribly difficult to beat the game with. I just play for the fun of the experience these days.
Go with SCS+Ascension

>>2849215
If you have the originals, they work on your system, and you have the 10 minutes necessary to install stuff like the fixpacks and resolution patches, then there's no point to EEs. All of its bonus content is basically mod-tier in terms of balance/fitting/etc., just a high-budget mod. Might as well install NPCs like Kelsey.

>Any fan patches or anything like that out there that improve them without busting its balance?

Sword Coast Stratagems really improves the AI and makes the battles more interesting. If you normally play BG on Insane, SCS+Standard difficulty is the way to go nowadays.

However SCS won't work on vanilla BG1, so you also need something like Baldur's Gate Trilogy or EasyTuTu to have BG1 work off BG2 mechanics.
>>
>>2849215
>is there any pros to the enhanced edition?
Zoomable view and a slightly nicer interface.
>>
>first started playing when I was in my early teens
>found a really cheesy way to beat the shadow dragon at the temple of amaunator ruins (spamming traps that bypass ac and raped it, just lay multiple traps + rest in front of dragon + lay multiple traps, rinse and repeat until there are enough to instakill it - my MC was the only rogue in the party)
>showed my older brother who got the game in the first place, I was all proud of my achievement
>he shakes his head, calling me out on using dirty tactics to remove any challenge
>I smugly tell him that I wasn't cheating, only using a "technicality"
>play the game the next day
>having difficulty with one of the lich encounters, decide to go for my tried and true "set overkill number of overpowered traps, lure lich to death"
>find out on setting my first trap that older brother had secretly changed the sound file so whenever my MC lays a trap instead of the default "I have set my trap well" message it screeched "I HAVE DECIDED TO USE A *TECHNICALITY*

still raises a smile to this day
>>
>>2849362
Let's be fair, a dragon would very quickly call bullshit on a human laying traps around it.

Traps and skull traps should disappear on-rest purely because of how they're ridiculous as fuck otherwise.
>>
>>2849371

Oh, I know it was cheese, even knew it when I'd first started playing but was too lazy to try to come up with other strategies when spamming traps destroyed most encounters - just found it funny the particular way my older brother chose to mock my dirty tactis is all.

I think ToB set a limit on how many traps you could set in one area (or it may have been a patch, cant remember) to combat this.
>>
>>2849326
>But it has access to all the multiclasses without any bullshit
The only thing it really has is tripleclassing which is a noobtrap.

>all the heals of a cleric, strength of a fighter and magic of a mage!? how can i lose!

Or Cleric / Ranger which I will always maintain is the most overrated combination exalted by BG fans.
>>
File: Skie (1).jpg (14 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Skie (1).jpg
14 KB, 210x330
>>2848635
>>2849093
What happens with resistance over 100%?

It doesn't...... heal you , does it???

Also nth for BG1 portraits are better because their art guy died before they made BG2
>>
>>2849502
>The only thing it really has is tripleclassing which is a noobtrap.
F/M/T is the most comfy solo playthrough, you get UAI, you fight well and you can spellcast. You can abuse Mislead/Blackblade of Disaster backstabs. It's awesome. F/M/C/ is not too shabby either, but better in IWD imho, where Thieves kinda suck comparatively.

>Or Cleric / Ranger which I will always maintain is the most overrated combination exalted by BG fans.

Why? Either multiclass you pick (let's say Dwarven Fighter/Cleric, for the shorty saving throws), you get only ++ proficiency points, and in base BG2, grandmastery is bugged to be almost worthless. Ranger/Cleric doesn't lose anything (except potential Dwarf saving throws), and you gain both Druid and Cleric spells, which is imba as fuck. Not the super top tier, but a pretty solid combination nonetheless.

Like literally what's your point
>>
>>2849510
>It doesn't...... heal you , does it???
Yes it does.
>>
File: 1402888669958.png (286 KB, 260x448) Image search: [Google]
1402888669958.png
286 KB, 260x448
>rerolling stats for an hour
kill me
>>
Had a lot of fun playing BG1 (in tutu) as a solo Blade. Very strong class. Polymorph self is an absolutely amazing spell.
>>
>>2849587
The best is save/import every character you made in lvl1 for future reuse.
>>
>>2849531
>F/M/T
...why not just roll Bard at that point?
>>
>>2850293
Bard has no search/disarm trap skill which is kind of important.
>>
So, I tried the widescreen patch for BG2. Is it just me or does it really just stretch the screen?
>>
>>2850305
polymorph self > mustard jelly and just tank that shit for no damage.

Another good thing about bards is the crazy amount of caster levels they get, which makes infinitely scaling spells like Skull Trap amazing at higher levels.
>>
>>2850321
>Is it just me or does it really just stretch the screen?

I miss the IWD bard in BG
>>
>>2850896
I'm playing IWD2 right now but I don't have a bard. What's good about it?
>>
File: 1426508604055.jpg (68 KB, 200x316) Image search: [Google]
1426508604055.jpg
68 KB, 200x316
>>2842623
PoE is pure shit.
Not even mention that pile of shit in this thread.
>>
>>2850293
Let's see:
>A Bard can't backstab.
In vanilla BG, it's a pretty good skill, and in BG2, you can do all sorts of cheese: invisibility spells are leveraged greatly by the thief part of your multiclass, and Mislead can be abused into something hilariously overpowered, doubly so with Blackblade of Disaster.
>A Bard won't get ** in weapons
Just a single *. F/M/T will have a smoother time fighting until buffs are acquired.
>If you're solo/in a small team, F/M/T's three classes will advance very rapidly
Self-explanatory, really.
>F/M/T has more, better HLAs.
Greater Whirlwind, epic mage spells, epic thief traps, and still retains UAI, compared to bard, whose song is very team-dependent.
>F/M/T benefits more from XP cap removers

You play Bard if you want a single-classed FMT-lite hybrid, it's not backwards. Bard actually fits into teams and such; F/M/T and F/M/C are solo characters. F/M/C is really fucking powerful too; think about how godlike you can make Aerie, and then add Fighter levels on top of that (HP, THAC0, etc.).

>>2852513
spoko, mi też nie chodzi xD
>>
>>2852536
I'd still go with a Blade over a F/M/T.

Thief: Between spells and attacks, Backstab is entirely superfluous. Detect/Disarm/Stealth is entirely pointless with spells. Note that the Bard DOES have all the epic thief traps and UAI.

Mage: It'll take 2.25million XP to cast 6th level spells whereas the Bard was casting those a million XP earlier and with an insanely higher caster level. By the time the Mage gets top-end spells, the Bard'll have UAI and can just fire off scrolls of the same.

Fighter: Offensive Spin puts him easily on the same field with the Fighter with the added benefit of wearing armor to compensate for his AC.

So, at low levels the Bard will be stronger. At mid levels the Bard will be stronger. At high levels, the Bard will be stronger. At the very end-game with epic everything, the F/M/T could arguably be stronger, but with the distinction that the Bard can still easily handle every single encounter too so he's not at a disadvantage.

People just have this odd mindset of
>wow, Fighter / Mage / Thief?! I could do EVERYTHING!
But turn their noses up at the idea of playing an "underpowered" Bard.
>>
Opinions on fighter/mage vs kensai 13 / mage 28?
>>
>>2853653
Kensai is the stronger, but cheesier option. The no armor is already a moot point with being a Mage and the Gauntlets / Bracers aren't that big a loss.

If I recall correctly, the Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization don't stack with Haste, so you're just missing out on the +1 Dmg, +1 THAC0 from Weapon Expertise which is completely negated by the Kensai abilities.

Spells offset the AC thing pretty well too. Spirit Armor is as strong as Full Plate and lasts so long you basically cast it once after a rest and you're good until the next time you rest.
>>
>>2853653
F/M doesn't have to be solo (for a team-based kensai/mage, you have to dual very early) and has a nicer progression throughout the game (no slump when you're regaining your Mage levels), plus access to Fighter HLAs.

>>2853625
>Thief: Between spells and attacks, Backstab is entirely superfluous
It helps to diversify your tactics (if only just for the heck of it) and hiding can help preserve spellslots you'd use on Invisibility otherwise. Backstab can be pretty ridiculous with Mislead and/or Simulacrum cheese, too. Strong burst damage on your first attack is certainly just nice to have.

>Mage: It'll take 2.25million XP to cast 6th level spells whereas the Bard was casting those a million XP earlier and with an insanely higher caster level. By the time the Mage gets top-end spells, the Bard'll have UAI and can just fire off scrolls of the same.

Scrolls of high level spells are limited - unless we're talking Simulacrum abuse. A mage hybrid certainly can fire them off more often in normal cases. Also, in a solo playthrough, you're still gated not only by XP gains, but also chapter progression. You won't find most high-level scrolls until past Underdark; if you want to capitalize on this advantage of the Bard at its most capacious (as in press your advantage before the mage would be able to), I'd argue you'd do well to get scroll-hunting rather early and leave some of the content for the final chapters.

>Fighter: Offensive Spin puts him easily on the same field with the Fighter with the added benefit of wearing armor to compensate for his AC.
I don't pay much attention to AC, myself - it's a dud stat by mid-SoA, and ToB completely invalidates it. Mage-types have better ways to insure immortality, like the Protection from Magic Weapons spell.
Fighters still enjoy better weapon specialization, progress more often in weapon pips (= more weapon versatility), have 18/xx strength available for early game (before buffs), etc.
(cont.)
>>
>>2853625
>>2853882
Let's talk about HLAs, once again. I'd argue that, past a certain level, classes don't really improve all that much on their climb to level 40. F/M/T will have access to some really cheesy stuff, like Assassination, Greater Whirlwind, Critical Hit, and some more benefits like Hardiness; with something like The Ravager, you're looking at way more damage output.

I'd also argue that the early levels for F/M/T aren't that bad - you have the option of dealing with every encounter with the very cost-effective backstabs; this is an advantage over the bard, you have a much easier time setting up good Sleeps, Webs (edging the LoS of your enemies), and backstabs. On top of the diversity of tactics, throughout BG1 you'll also have access to the Composite Longbow, as well as ** pips in weapons and so on. I think F/M/T wins early levels with the Bard on those merits.

I find your points to be very well articulated, of course - but I still find the triple-classes to have a lot of merit to them. Bard is a very good character, that's for sure.
>>
>>2849587
If you're willing to spend hours until you get the desired stats, just cheat.
>>
>>2853625
>Blade
He can also do cheezy shit like combining Defensive spin with Freedom, wear boots of speed while polymorphed into wolf and having offensive spin on to essentially teleport around the map while shooting wands/rings/necklaces, and can at higher levels go apeshit with tensers transformation.
>>
>>2849510
Yep, it heals.

If you manage to get your physical resistance over 100%, guess what happens? You get healed when you get hit.
>>
>>2842930
>favorite party
Korgan, Edwin, Mazzy, Jan, Viconia
>alignment
Chaotic Neutral
>class for the player
Inquisitor/Blade
>solo
Solo is fun for a while but tends to get boring by chapter 3~5. Still, had some fun times playing a sorcerer with a borat soundset. Casting shitloads of magic missiles while my character yells "ILL EAT YOUR SHIT" was so fun.
>>
What do you think the best power gaming classes are for the PC?

Everyone knows kensai/mage can shit on the game, but what else is super effective?
>>
>>2854979
Inquisitor is just down right overpowered too.

>lvl 35 demilich casting shitloads of protection spells rendering him literally immune to everything in the game
>Inquisitor just goes "lol no", cast Magic Dispel and rape his shit with Carsomyr +6
>>
>>2854979
Blade, Monk (at higher levels), Cleric/Mage and Cleric/Ranger.
>>
>>2854979
Cleric/Thief is a very interesting combo. It's a toolbox character who will do whatever you need - open locks, disarm traps, heal you -- and he also boasts some ridiculous backstab damage numbers. Staff of Striking is the best backstab item in the game due to its special power. Add all sorts of Cleric buffs to your backstab, elevate your strength to 25 with Draw Upon Holy Might, and chunk people for 100 damage in BG1 alone.

Bonus points - you get to play as either a half-orc (19 Strength, but honestly, it's only good in BG1, because you have a shitload of +STR bonuses available to you as a Cleric in BG2) or a gnome (my favored option due to shorty saving throws and massive style points).

And for total minmaxers there's the obvious Assassin/Cleric combo.

Other stuff: the Blade bard, Barbarian (the tankiest non-spellcaster motherfucker ever, Hardiness + Defender of Easthaven = wtf), Inquisitor, all sorts of Fighter/Thief types (Kensai/Thief can get UAI to wear anything anyway), any of the Dwarf/Gnome/Halfling multiclasses (shorty saving throws and a very smooth progression through the game).

Kits that have a walk in the park in all implementations of BG1 on BG2 engine (and are still pretty playable in BG2): Beastmaster, Totemic Druid, Berserker, Inquisitor,

Most dual-classes are pretty damn crazy so it's not really worth mentioning them all by name (unless they're really interesting); if you're willing to go through the arduous process, it will likely pay off. But stuff like Berserker/Cleric is probably what you're looking for.
>>
>>2854979
>>2855018
Also bear in mind that characters like the Kensai/Mage will force you to babysit them for a long time. They're not great if you're not willing to reload a lot and don't know the game inside out, and aren't willing to cheese with things like accepting quest rewards or scroll scribing abuse.

I always figure it's better to ask for stuff that is solid across the board throughout the entire game. Dwarf Fighter/Cleric might not pull the craziest cheese once you meticulously prepare the way for him, but he is really unlikely to ever die, has a response for everything (making the game more interesting at all times) and will contribute to the team in any encounter.
>>
>>2855018
I always found it sad how you can't multi class to a kit. A Ranger/Cleric kit combination would be too fucking OP.
>>
>>2855074
I would have absolutely loved fighter/swashbuckler as a multiclass.
>>
File: 1418961184850.jpg (236 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
1418961184850.jpg
236 KB, 1200x1600
>cant find my BG 1 discs
>cant do a BG 1 to BG2 run
>cant get tomes for maximum powergame
fuck
>>
>>2855074
Beastmaster/Cleric is pretty okay for a nature warrior kinda theme.
>>
What's better for a run through the trilogy, stalker or archer?
>>
When I install the high resolution patch for BG1 (regular, non EE edition) the image is always stuck in the top left corner and surrounded by a huge black box, similar to the letter boxing of movies.

Is there any way to fix this issue?
>>
>>2827724
>new NPCs
This is why I only ever gave it a passing glance in mobile. Shit's optional because it's IAP there.
>>
File: 1439832021513.jpg (46 KB, 300x553) Image search: [Google]
1439832021513.jpg
46 KB, 300x553
>Aerie starts whining before i even leave the tent
Now i remember why this whiny piece of shit never was in my party.
>>
>>2837153
Rashad was kinda irritating to me but dorn was alright

Fuck the others though, especially neera. What a colossal cunt, and you cant even tell her to fuck off without her tumblrette ass being a passive aggressive little shit and trying to force her way into your party.
>>
File: bg2 deer.png (456 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
bg2 deer.png
456 KB, 800x600
is there something like big world project/bg trilogy but for icewind dale? basically i wanna play iwd1 with 3.5e classes/feats/perks that iwd2 offers.
>>
>>2858476
There's Icewind Gate 2, but it's for BG2. It's the closest I know of.
>>
>>2841321
Edwin is objectively the best. Nothing can compete with that +1 spell each level AND the specialization, totaling to +2. The only downside is obviously no divination, but who needs that shit? A sorcerer could compete with not needing scrolls to learn spells, but that's about it.
>>
>>2842930
Imoen
Keldorn
Anomen
Aerie
Minsc

Lawful Good

Sun Soul Monk

Soloed BGEE one time with an Inquisitor, but it's like you're Superman, especially if you know what's where. Nothing can touch you.
>>
>>2859196
The biggest drawback of playing a wizard was always not being able to compete with Edwin for me. You just feel like a little bitch no matter what.
>>
>>2859196
In a game where you can rest anywhere, anytime, and wands can easily replicate the job? Meh.
>>
>>2859261
Wands have a minimum spell level. Sure they're good for some cheese, but can't replace a mage.
>>
>>2854979
Inquisitors for magerape, obviously. But then you got Keldorn, diminishing their value somewhat.

Gnome Fighter/Illusionist is a stronger variation of this ken>mage or berz>mage powergaming holy grail. Slower progression, no horrid wilting, and slow to catch up with THAC0 bonuses, but no afterdual babysitting/cheesing, bracers and helmets, shorty saves, more spells once he gets them except the highest levels, and fighter HLAs.
>>
>>2842930

Korgan
Edwin
Viconia
Sarevok
Wilson

Neutral evil

Fighter/mage dual

I kinda prefer BG with a party and IWD solo
>>
>>2859268
Play an archer-heavy team and have something like dual-classed Imoen stand behind with wand of monster summoning. Bam, you solved BG. Edwin a shit.
>>
How does IWD compare to the BG series?

Is the enhanced edition any good?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.