[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There have been a few threads for best story in a retro game,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: ninja-gaiden.jpg (20 KB, 604x374) Image search: [Google]
ninja-gaiden.jpg
20 KB, 604x374
There have been a few threads for best story in a retro game, but what about for the nes?

The 8-bit age was the era where more advanced story-telling was just beginning to form in gaming. Often primitive, the stories told tended to be incomprehensible, jumbled, or rushed together. But there were some exceptions.

Which nes games had the best stories in your opinion?
>>
Do people actually read that shit? I thought long ass exposition was what you hated the most about modern gaming.
>>
File: dragon_warrior_iv_lighthouse.gif (29 KB, 976x685) Image search: [Google]
dragon_warrior_iv_lighthouse.gif
29 KB, 976x685
Dragon Quest/Warrior 4, hands down. Its chapter structure is incredibly unique even by today's standards. Not only do the first 4 chapters tell all the character's stories before joining the Hero in chapter 5, but those early chapters are also peppered with hints of the greater threat to come.
>>
>>2827424
Ha ha, whoops! That wasn't the image I thought I was posting.
>>
>>2827419
I don't think anybody hates stories per se, it's just that most modern games suffer from bad storytelling
>>
>>2827430
Yes, because Ha ha was an expression never before used in the history of mankind before reddit came around.

Oh wait, no. You're just a retard.
>>
>>2827434
Press F to pay respects.
>>
>>2827434
And NES games are much better?
>>
>>2827446
At least the NES has the excuse of limited hardware. If a modern game lacks in anyway, it's completely on the developers.
>>
>>2827446
There's a difference between HD big-budget Michael Bay interactive movies catering toward what test audiences wanted in comparison with quaint ten second long cutscenes from an nes.

Less is more. And even if nes games aren't trying to be the next Citizen Kane (which they aren't), they're still enjoyable in the context of what is expected to be delivered.
>>
File: Ninja Gaiden (U) [!]-1.png (3 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
Ninja Gaiden (U) [!]-1.png
3 KB, 256x240
>>2827419
>>2827446
NES games are usually better in this regard because they almost always let you skip their cutscenes and/or story segments if you want to skip them because you either have already seen them or simply don't give a fuck about them while many newer games (especially from 5th and 6th gen games) usually do this in form of unskippable FMV cutscenes which you are forced to watch every single time.
>>
I want people who play modern games to go back to >>>/v/
>>
>>2827476
I play both modern and retro. Where do I go?
>>
Famicom Tantei Club or some other adventure game for the FDS. The snes remake of The Girl in Back is better than Snatcher.
>>
>>2827416
>people getting triggered at the mere notion that retro games have stories in them

What the fuck /vr/?
>>
>>2827419
Couple of things. Ninja Gaiden was considered revolutionary when it came out for its cutscenes.

Number 2, the narrative is not lengthy. There's just enough of it that it won't fit on a fortune cookie.
>>
>>2827419
>I thought long ass exposition was what you hated the most about modern gaming.
Personally, what I hate more is boring gameplay.
>>
>>2827476
>not playing both
Shit taste.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.