[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about early (mid-80's to early 90's)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: Andorf.jpg (223 KB, 1195x541) Image search: [Google]
Andorf.jpg
223 KB, 1195x541
How do you feel about early (mid-80's to early 90's) 3D games on consoles, can you still play and enjoy them now despite the low framerate, resolution and crappy input lag?

I can still enjoy Starfox, but then I played that as a kid so it nay be nostalgia talking.
>>
I never saw a problem with Starfox framerate, I had greater problems playing some 3D games in slideshows during my 486 years
>>
I can't think of many outside Star Fox that I feel fondness for. I think Star Fox SNES was a well made game trying to push the boundaries of it's system and I can admire it for that reason.

If we're talking Star Fox though my preference on it is for the N64, and that might be MY Nostalgia talking but I think the original is pretty good.
>>
File: galaxy-force-ii-07.jpg (114 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
galaxy-force-ii-07.jpg
114 KB, 640x448
Star fucks is downright unplayable in the harder route and even if they somehow could have fixed the framerate it still feels underwhelming next to sega's super scaler shooters.

64 is brilliant though, love that game.
>>
File: 1447662619621.jpg (106 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1447662619621.jpg
106 KB, 960x720
I can still enjoy Stunt Race FX despite the ridiculous input lag. It's actually a very easy game to beat once you get used to it.

Why the fuck have Nintendo not provided rerelases or remakes of Star Fox or Stunt Race with the original visuals intact but improved framerate, resolution, draw distance and input lag?
>>
I remember not liking the little I played of the original Star Fox when I tried it as a kid when it came out.
I think what I didn't like about it was that up was down and viceversa. I think it was the first time I played a game with that kind of control scheme and I just couldn't put up with it, being a dumb kid and all, so I just passed on it and got Super Mario All-Stars instead.
Later on SF64 came out and I fucking loved it, GOTY etc.

Recently I played through the whole Star Fox 2, and I enjoyed it despite the low framerate, resolution, etc. Legitimately had fun with it. I feel like I should give the original SF a try, I think I would be able to enjoy it now.

I also liked the Genesis port of Virtua Racing a lot, actually. Played the shit out of it. It was a damn good effort by Sega (unlike the Virtua Fighter "port" on Genesis)
>>
What's the best way of playing Race Drivin? Is the Genesis port really the best?
>>
>>2826861
I would love for a 60FPS remake of Star Fox. The warioware microgame in Smooth Moves was a cruel reminder of what should have gotten.
>>
I have to really take a little while to immerse myself in it until I stop noticing all the problems.

Pre Mario64 3D games are one of the only retro things I consider objectively outdated and bad, but there can still be some charming games beneath the presentation.
>>
>>2826874

except that Starfox let you choose your own control scheme in the first screen before the game starts... and there was one where up was up and down was down...
>>
>>2827173

Yeah, probably I just missed that because I was trying the game at a store. I also couldn't read english when I was a kid anyway.
>>
>>2826837
Years later, when we first got OpenGL & DirectX drivers for PCs, the frame rates were no better. At least with the early console 3d games, they concentrated on gameplay. The early DirectX games were utter shit. Go back and play them now.
>>
>>2826867
>Star Fox
Because 64 topped it so they just remade that repeatedly instead. I will however say that nothing was more exciting than playing the original Star Fox as a kid, at least for its era.

>Stunt Race FX
Because no one gives it a shit about it and really it isn't a very deep or long game by modern standards. If it played well and came out today the whole thing would be about an hour or two long. How would you even model it when everything is a crappy, weird looking polygon? How would you balance it when everything ran relatively slowly? The whole thing would be awkward and they'd be better off making a new game entirely.
>>
>>2827406
The first good and commercially successful 3D card (3DFX Voodoo 1, 1996) easily reached 30fps with the games available at the time. Voodoo 2 (1998) easily did 60fps.
>>
>>2826837
>how do you feel about early 3d games

oh there's some gems man, like doom and elite and alone in the dark and...

>on consoles
oh... literally everything 3D on consoles was shit right up to the ps1 and n64. if it wasn't framerate issues, it was controls. they were all shit until the next generation, like everything when comparing PC to consoles.
>>
>>2828005
>>2828064
You forget that every 3D accelerator for PC before 3Dfx Voodoo was garbage and even slower than 5th generation consoles.

You couldn't go into a store and buy 3Dfx Voodoo until January 1997.
>>
I would like to point out that you can overclock the SuperFX Chip in the SNES9XNext Emulator and the game has no more slowdown, and is immensely enjoyable.

You don't realize how much you might be relying on the projectiles being slowed down till you play it at max speed.
>>
File: Arcticfox_box.jpg (28 KB, 300x303) Image search: [Google]
Arcticfox_box.jpg
28 KB, 300x303
>>2826837
Early PC 3D was great. Spent a ton of time in Flight Simulator and then Arctic Fox came out and I thought it was incredible.

Consoles on the other hand took a long time. I hated the early PSX era 3D and thought 3D games on average looked like garbage compared to even most 16 bit games. Let along 32bit 2D games. it wasn't really until Dreamcast came along that 3D graphics on console were good enough that I thought they could compete.
>>
>>2826837
I don't know about you guys, but I genuinely enjoy the SNES DOOM port. I found it be much better than some of the other ports. Its pretty impressive how they managed to port DOOM when the SNES was starting to show its age.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.