[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Leaving Idle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12
File: simearth-the-living-planet_9.gif (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
simearth-the-living-planet_9.gif
37 KB, 640x480
What retro games play themselves? Sometimes I just like bots fighting in the background or leaving my auto-generated world do it's thing.

Also, screensavers.
>>
>>2826483
knights and merchants pretty much(at least the scenarios)
settlers games(most) have a lot of idle.

but yeah simearth is the king of let it play itself for two days.(at least the first levels)
>>
File: johnny-castaway-1.png (29 KB, 644x483) Image search: [Google]
johnny-castaway-1.png
29 KB, 644x483
>>
>>2826551
There are no levels in SimEarth, just scenarios. There is no way to win either. SimEarth is more a toy than a game. Something you can play with however you see fit.
>>
>>
Once you get a good park going in Roller Coaster Tycoon and plenty of handyman and mechanics the park will handle itself for the most part
>>
>>2826483
Wheel of Fortune on the sega genesis (super nintendo as well?) lets you choose three computer players with no human ones.
>>
I think DEFCON needs a mention here even if it's technically not retro, it just ticks too many boxes. Perfect idle game.
>>
not retro: I've turned on space engine on a spare computer and had it approach Mars at a constant speed over the course of a week or two. It's amusing to see how it's coming along and how close to the surface you are. Increase FOV to 120 or so, follow the planet (lock orbit instead of pausing time so stars will still move) and download whatever planet's texture pack for best results.
>>
File: GenChaos (4).png (68 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
GenChaos (4).png
68 KB, 640x480
>>2826830
>space engine

I forgot all about that.

General Chaos allows for CPU vs CPU I think.
>>
I remember sometimes leaving Smash Bros. Melee run an endless game with 2 level 9 CPU players, it was quite relaxing.
Don't know if that's also possible in SSB on the 64.
>>
>>2826903
it is possible, I used to do 4 player 99 stock matches, just remove yourself and it's all good.
>>
Is there a civ game or mod which let's you just watch a game on fold?
>>
>>2827005
I think ROT3K strategy games from IV and up allows you to set only CPU players, and watch them conquer china.

http://kongming.net/games/#r4
>>
File: tumblr_kxx8poMa3X1qa5kxw[1].jpg (61 KB, 323x308) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_kxx8poMa3X1qa5kxw[1].jpg
61 KB, 323x308
This game lets you set two bots to fight each other for eternity in training mode
>>
RollferCoaster Tycoon
>>
I'd watch Marble Madness play itself as a screensaver if there was a way.
>>
>>2827126
If that counts then so does Starcontrol 1 and 2, in super melee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6twU3zyEI
>>
>>2828214
emulator + recorded input (demo) would do it. not sure how you'd loop it though.
>>
Sim City 2000 on normal speed
>>
Fire Pro can play CPU vs CPU mega tournaments with wrestlers you created.
>>
>>2828489
That sounds like pretty fun background ambience.
>>
File: pquest2b.png (24 KB, 682x569) Image search: [Google]
pquest2b.png
24 KB, 682x569
>>2826483
ProgressQuest, not retro though.
>>
Barney's Hide and Seek on Genesis will win the game for you if you don't press anything
>>
>>2828626
That's both sad and spectacular.
>>
File: Untitled.png (115 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
115 KB, 1680x1050
>>2828583
My PQ brother
>>
>>2826483

Haha I played that on the SNES... it had a nicer presentation there I guess, but agh what a ridiculous port, that platform just could not run the program at anything remotely close to a reasonable speed. But I was a kid and it fascinated me so I "played" it anyway. So much waiting. I seem to remember reading Roughing It by Mark Twain while "playing" through one of the scenarios. I got pretty far but I don't think I ever finished them all. :(

And I don't think I ever got the intelligent trichordates I dreamed of. :(
>>
>>2828896

Also SimCity of course. That was actually a simple enough simulation to port successfully to the SNES, I guess... unlike SimEarth it didn't have any dumb bugs in it (like how saving your SimEarth world and then loading again would scramble all your creatures around). But it was still painfully slow, at least if you had a big city. I think I let my city live overnight once or twice, so I could get some money to make tweaks to it. I wasn't even enjoying it all that much anymore, but I was on a quest to make a megalopolis. I did succeed at that, at least.
>>
>>2828214
>>2828291
UberNES let's you record your game play session and use it as a screensaver.
>>
>>2829095
Thanks!
>>
>>2828856
>*tips fedora*
I never got pass Act 3.
>>
>>2826483
Conway's game of life.
>>
File: 148926317.jpg (340 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
148926317.jpg
340 KB, 640x480
>>2826483
Is Majesty /vr?
>>
>>2832308
Nope. Still a decent game though.
>>
>>2826483
You can have 2-4 bots fight each other in Super Smash bros.
>>
>>2829095
that's badass

any other emus do it?
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (54 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
54 KB, 480x360
the king of CPU throwdowns
>>
>>2832573
mame has a playback function, though they point out it's nothing you should rely on
>>
File: worms.png (102 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
worms.png
102 KB, 960x600
Four teams of four worms with 500 health, maps will run for 15-20 minutes
>>
>>2833183
I like to try and guess which team will win just from the spawn locations
>>
File: 23568_front.jpg (42 KB, 640x459) Image search: [Google]
23568_front.jpg
42 KB, 640x459
The AI was shitty, but it was nice to have the option. It's actually clever to make an assist mode in a fighting game to let you study the moves a bit.
>>
Unreal Tournament
>>
I remember reading an essay online about someone trying to apply social study theories and war theories to a hands off run of europa universalis and hearts of iron.
>>
>>2832578
Late reply but Mario Retardy is so fucking great to just sit back and enjoy or leave in the background while you do shit, I haven't seen a good stream in ages though.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.