[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good morning fellow gamers, I'm here to ask and to see
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (216 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
216 KB, 960x640
Good morning fellow gamers,

I'm here to ask and to see if anyone here has a "Top 3" Turn-based RPG games. I have completed majority of the NES/SNES/PS1 Final Fantasy Series, Super Mario RPG, Lost Odyssey, and Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana.

Not a lot, but I would like to know if there are more games similar to these I listed. I am 100% about trying anything out, as the JRPG/RPG is not as complicated or hard anymore. (Grant it I'm 30, been playing since I was a kid haha).

Thanks.
>>
So you are 30 and still want to play childish weebaboo games? I don`t think that should be encouraged.
>>
File: phantasy_star4_box_us.jpg (117 KB, 432x600) Image search: [Google]
phantasy_star4_box_us.jpg
117 KB, 432x600
>>2826431
What are you looking for out of them? More story based or mechanics based?

Anyways, Phantasy Star IV excels at both and is one of the best 16 bit RPGs flat out. The Lunars are good too.
>>
>>2826437
>coming to 4chan
>complaining about weeaboos
>giving advice to other people

You're a special one.
>>
>>2826431
You're missing a lot, notably Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire. Pokemon has a lot of spergs but it's a classic turn based RPG and there's enormous love among RPG players for MegaTen. Phantasy Star is a great series. Robotrek is an obscure gem. Lagrange Point was recently translated. There's a lot. Like a lot a lot.
>>
File: ps2wallpaper_1b.jpg (186 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ps2wallpaper_1b.jpg
186 KB, 1024x768
1. Phantasy Star 2
2. Phantasy Star 4
3. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue on Sega CD
Honorable Mentions: FF5-7, Skies of Arcadia, Panzer Dragoon Saga and, while it's not /vr/ yet, I am a big fan of Riviera on the GBA
>>
>>2826431
Saga Frontier goat rpg of all time nigger kek
>>
>>2826439
Mechanics > story
Phantasy Star really looks amazing.

>>2826442
Seeing Chrono Trigger play through does look amazing.

Thanks dudes/lady dudes for giving me some good pointers. I'm jump on Chrono Trigger this Friday. I will hit this thread up again, or make another one once I complete said games you all brought up.

Thank you !!
>>
>>2826431

Have you played any of the SaGa games? It was sort of the sister series to Final Fantasy, but not as widely known outside of Japan due to a lack of localization, or in some cases, retitled localizations. The "Final Fantasy Legend" games for Game Boy were actually the first SaGa games, for instance.

Aside from that, I'd recommend classic computer RPGs like Bard's Tale, the D&D gold box games and Ultima. Grab a copy of DOSbox and dive in.
>>
I would suggest you Chrono Trigger (snes) and Legend of the Dragoon (psx) and maybe chrono cross (psx). They all have A great story especially CT and LoD!
>>
>>2827138
No I have not sadly, I greatly appreciate the people here giving me information towards potentially great games (to me).

I tracked down a Chrono Trigger emulator, starting tomorrow night.
>>
>>2829315
Wat
>>
>>2826431
Fallout (better story than FO2, so it wins despite inferior replay value)
Unnethack (fork of Nethack with the tedious parts replaced)
X-COM: UFO Defense (it has named characters who gain experience and upgrade equipment, so it's an RPG). Play this one in OpenXCOM for the interface improvements and bug fixes.
>>
>>2830696
RPGs are about more than just XP and equipment. One of your games is a rougelike, the other is a strategy game.
>>
>>2830706
How are they different from Fallout? All three require more tactical thought than JRPG spam A to win.
>>
>>2830707
>All three require more tactical thought than JRPG spam A to win.

Which is one of the things that makes them not JRPGs. I don't have time to explain every genre definition to you, but the point is they exist for a reason. Roguelikes may have experience, levels and equipment but are fundamentally different from RPGs. Hence the different genre name.

All three of the games you listed are good though, no debate there.
>>
>>2830714
Op wanted "turn-based" RPGs, not "JRPGs".
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.