[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shitstains on otherwise great retro games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 16
File: tower of hera.png (5 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
tower of hera.png
5 KB, 256x224
>>
What's wrong with Tower of Hera?
>>
>>2826318
Pic unrelated.
>>
Had you posted a pic of Dark World dungeon 3 I would agree with you, but I just don't understand that one, OP.
>>
>>2826318
The fuck? Retard.
>>
File: cistern0.jpg (84 KB, 583x423) Image search: [Google]
cistern0.jpg
84 KB, 583x423
PS1's water temple.
>>
>>2826445
Stick to the reboots, faggot.
>>
File: 004.jpg (93 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
93 KB, 600x450
>>2826445
No, that would be this.

But it's just excruciatingly boring, not hard.
>>
>>2826318
>great retro games
>Zelda Link to the Past

Pick one
>>
File: 1397196451393.gif (725 B, 27x37) Image search: [Google]
1397196451393.gif
725 B, 27x37
This thread is a shitstain on an otherwise great retro board
>>
File: sucess.png (134 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
sucess.png
134 KB, 500x374
>>2826487
>great retro board

maybe im just missing the greatness in between all the
>just emulate
>age pissing contests
>obvious shitpost/contrarian threads that people fall for all the time
>lcd anon
to just name a few. sure man. great board
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
24 KB, 480x360
>>
File: 1393766800060.jpg (189 KB, 671x680) Image search: [Google]
1393766800060.jpg
189 KB, 671x680
>>2826951
>there are people that couldn't figure this out as adults
I played and completed this game when i was like 7 years old, pathetic
>>
>>2826956
Yeah even as I kid I got conditioned to super bombing every single dead end room since the very room where you get the bombs for the first time teaches you to do that. It's weird how many people got stuck at that place.
>>
>>2826931

>shitting on emulators

check out this cück paying £60 for a game made years ago which he can get for free.

Either that or you bought all of them when they came out, and you're just entering into another "age pissing contest".
>>
File: castle darkmoor.jpg (151 KB, 1050x730) Image search: [Google]
castle darkmoor.jpg
151 KB, 1050x730
At least it wasn't that long.
>>
>>2826473
>on a retro board
>telling people to play current gen
wut
>>
>>2827017
Best answer in thread so far. FUCK THOSE EYES.
>>
>>2826445
There was L I T E R A L L Y nothing wrong with the Water Temple.
>>
>>2827017
Ah Everquest. This triggered me so hard. My dream is to create a modern day EQ.
>>
>zelda
>otherwise great
>>
>>2826445
Love this
>>
>>2826973
>>2826956
I concur, that shit was easy.

>>2826931
I agree on you with all but emulation, emulation is gr8 m8.

>>2827027
What's wrong with enjoying current gen titles?
>>
>>2827015
>>2827903

Not shitting on emulation at all. I think there's too much of a habit for people to shitpost a "just emulate it" to x thread
>>
>>2826951
It pisses me off when people post this one. The original Metroid had shitloads of areas which couldn't be passed until you bombed every brick until something gave - most of the time it wasn't even in dead ends or remotely obvious places, but in the ceilings of long corridors or in the very top corner of a vertical area. It wouldn't even have been that bad had the game actually taught you to bomb everything or subtly marked bombable areas in some way. Zelda I had this same issue.
>>
>>2828012
It's also the fact that it's a special graphic, a tile you haven't seen in the game until then, like, why wouldn't your first instinct be to try a bunch of things to see what happens?
>>
>>2827568
that's a MM6 dungeon
>>
>>2827240

IMO it was a pretty good temple in design. The biggest problems were the iron boots and, if you chose to do so, using the Megaton Hammer/Din's Fire/Biggoron Sword to break the Dark Link battle, which was a great mini-boss fight.

The Fire Temple is probably worse just because it's so unmemorable.
>>
>>2826479
>zelda games are popular
>ill look rly cool if i make fun of them on an anonymous image board luls
>>
>>2827903
>What's wrong with enjoying current gen titles?
No one said there was anything wrong with that. He stated that this is a RETRO game board, not current. Go to /v/ if you wanna talk about current gen, or jerk off to pictures of Zero Suit Samus.
>>
File: flying.png (143 KB, 848x363) Image search: [Google]
flying.png
143 KB, 848x363
>>2826318
Hating on the Tower of Hera is kinda nitpicking. I see where the complaints come from, but if that's the worst you can think of ALttP, you're flattering it.

>>2826951
>got the power bombs
>oh, this corridor again
>you know what would be really freaking cool in a game like this? If the tube would break with a big ass explosion
>I try with no hope in my hearth, just to play make-believe
>it shatters
>fuck I love this game

My vote goes to every single flying level in the first Spyro. Everytime they pop up they make you go "not this shit again", while the rest of the game is pretty enjoyable. Thank god they were more and more nerfed with their sequels.
>>
File: super_mario_bros_3_7_fort.png (41 KB, 3184x1360) Image search: [Google]
super_mario_bros_3_7_fort.png
41 KB, 3184x1360
This piece of crap level. It's not much of a hassle when you know what to do, but it's so unexpectedly technical and solution-specific when playing for the first time. I remember when playing it for a second time years later, I had forgotten how to solve it, and I once again fumbled around not knowing what to do. It really kills the momentum of the game. There is a shitload of red herrings:

>that pipe you can't enter
>the high possibility that you'll never find the P-switch in the first room
>even when hitting the P-switch, you can miss the hidden door because your eyes will focus on the hundreds of coins appearing around you
>the bottom door in the first room seems more important than it really is
>the "unactivated" obstacles in the second room that (I think) never activate
>absolutely no visual cues to guide you towards the roof pipe in the second room

One of my friends stopped playing SMB3 because he thought his ROM/Emulator was broken or corrupted somehow.

In my opinion, the fact that you can exploit this level for easy 1-ups only adds to the shittiness. Maybe this was done on purpose, I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocepkHYNhkE
>>
File: 6-5.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
6-5.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>2828381
..also, 6-5. Such a time-waster. Getting a Koopa shell unscathed is hard enough without cunts throwing blocks at you
>>
>>2828381
I don't remember anything about that level except that me and my friend used it to farm easy 1-ups.
>>
>>2828381
I can't recall having too much of a problem with that level, but then again I tend to enjoy randomly exploring any level I'm in.
>>
>>2828389
Maybe it's just because I had been playing the whole game up until then and got impatient. I just couldn't imagine the level working in such a way. Most of the levels in SMB3 are fairly linear with only minor "puzzling", so that fortress was a huge curveball to me.
>>
>>2828383
I hated that part. I think I floated down and killed one of them with the tail when it jumped up.
>>
>>2828383
This was the only level I remember getting a time over in this game.

Remember that mushroom house that opens up when you beat this level? In the GBA remake, they moved the path so it's no longer a requirement. They knew this level was bullshit.
>>
>>2828383
This required way too much logical thinking and problem solving skills when taking into consideration the game's target demographic
>>
>>2826956
This. I think it was actually one of the most beautiful things in the game. It was a very elegant way to provide a connection between a water and a land area, one that would tease you first and could be used only much later in the game. The only thing that's kinda odd about it is how lower Brinstar wasn't flooded after shattering the glass tube, but that's just nitpicking.
>>
>>2828381
How about SMB3 fortresses are a common ancestor of both SMW fortresses AND ghost houses, and thus are supposed to be confusing?

>>2828383
Come on, it might have been a challenge, but not an undoable one, and world 6 is where the game is slowly getting to the point as far as challenge is concerned. Next thing you'll do is complain that world 8 levels were challenging?
>>
>>2827017
Almost every Oracle-related dungeon was obnoxious.
>>
File: TMNT-water-level.jpg (37 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
TMNT-water-level.jpg
37 KB, 460x276
inb4

>great
>>
File: Ice cave.jpg (45 KB, 731x363) Image search: [Google]
Ice cave.jpg
45 KB, 731x363
This is the only pat of the game that's absolute bullshit. It's just saving in front of it, and resetting until you don't get buttraped by Mages and Sorcerers.
>>
>>2826473
>Reboot
>With woe-is-me noob Lara who can't even dual-wield guns
My opinion of Angel of Darkness is higher than that blight on Lara's name.
>>
File: Down_the_Tubes.png (20 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
Down_the_Tubes.png
20 KB, 320x224
Down the tubes
>>
>>2828816
>How about SMB3 fortresses are a common ancestor of both SMW fortresses AND ghost houses, and thus are supposed to be confusing?

Why are you bringing the sequel into this? You're saying SMB3's fortresses are confusing because of levels in the sequel. A sequel that obviously didn't exist yet. That's not a valid argument at all.

You are right about all fortresses in SMB3 being deliberately more confusing than regular levels, but I just feel this one was very unintuitive compared to the other fortresses. The inactive obstacles and the pipe in the roof are particularly confusing.

>Come on, it might have been a challenge, but not an undoable one

I never said 6-5 was undoable. I said it was time-wasting and annoying. Mostly because you have to reload the room for each mistake.

>Next thing you'll do is complain that world 8 levels were challenging?

No... I honestly think World 8 is perfect, and I've beaten it hundreds of times. These are my honest thoughts on one of my favorite games ever, so stop assuming I'm just bad at the game.
>>
>>2828381
>>2828383
SMB3 level design, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
File: Deeptrouble.png (311 KB, 634x438) Image search: [Google]
Deeptrouble.png
311 KB, 634x438
The underwater levels in Crash 3 always felt so tedious and annoying, I really hated that.
I really like the game but looking back I find the diversity in levels really lacking compared to the earlier games.
But I still enjoyed it a lot, even managed to get platinum relic on every single course, which was quite a daunting task.
>>
>>2828824

I liked it a lot, and I still like it some now, great or not

but that isn't the stupidly, terribly hard part in it--it's early in the game and once you're used to doing it it's not all that bad
>>
>>2828383

I remember really liking this level and thinking it was clever.
>>
>>2826951
I solved this instantly because they power bomb the tube in the commercial
>>
>>2829785
I think they also show this in the "demo mode" sequences that appear after you turn the game on but before you start playing.
>>
File: m.png (12 KB, 372x85) Image search: [Google]
m.png
12 KB, 372x85
>>
>>2828383
this was painful on the 3ds
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.