[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Counter Strike 1.6
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 9
I'm suprised that this game is still so popular (at least in latin america). I hadn't played it in like 10 years yet there are still a fuckton of servers running full of people.

counter strike thread?
>>
Yep. Because its old doesnt mean its not good. I still play action quake 2
>>
I stopped playing after Valve scrapped EAX/A3D support. Surround sound was a necessity for me.
>>
I remember surf maps being stupidly addicting back when I played this game a lot.
>>
>>2825413
it's a great game but 4chinks pretend to hate it because they think it makes them cool and hardcore when they suck at video games anyway
>>
>>2827307
true. I love 1.6 the maps are so cozy. 1.6 inferno is best inferno. I play occasionally but its a pain to find an actual 5v5 match so I just play MM on CS:GO.
>>
>>2825413
>guns are all mirrored to the left
This bothered me, always.

>>2827307
I'm not very good at CS but I still had fun with it.
>>
>>2827307
you're the doom babies autist aren't you.
>>
>CS thread
>waaah the bullets don't land where the crosshair is when I hold down the trigger
>>
There's only two types of servers now. South American servers where you can do whatever you want but it doesn't matter because they all fucking suck at the game, and American servers where you can't even bhop or fire at spam spots or do well without getting banned since all the Americans left on the game are 40 year old pussy faggots. Thanks for listening lol
>>
>>2827307
4chan more than sucks at videogames, which explains why you can make a thread in /v/ where you ask "why is quarter circle for hadoken allowed" and it'll get 400+ replies since people are evidently too fucking mechanically inept to slide their finger on a d-pad.
>>
>>2829642
I have no idea what you are talking about I am the supreme master first class of the 1 deag.
>>
>>2825413
well CS:GO is so similar that most just went with it by now.
>>
>>2829670
>since all the Americans left on the game are 40 year old pussy faggots

Wardads are seriously the worse online gaming demographic. They make squeaky 12 year olds seem tolerable.
>>
>>2829687
DoD dads are worse. They are all big ww2 buffs trying to impress their dads or something. Me and my friends loved trolling DoD. It's always the best when you're way better than everyone else on the game too.
>>
File: Bwall_large.png (1 MB, 1000x982) Image search: [Google]
Bwall_large.png
1 MB, 1000x982
>>2829684
the maps arent as cozy on GO about everything else is better except the fucking maps. the old GO mirage was so fucking tight and old school looking before they added it to official rotation and tried to make it pretty :(
>>
>>2829692

DoD wardads will ban you for having a KDR that is too good. It's written in the rules of wardad servers and they are unashamed of it.

They literally do not allow you to be good at video games on their servers.
>>
>>2829701
I usually just waste people up close with unmounted MG42 then be all like "OH YOU GOT FUCKIN RAMBOD" that made them pretty salty
>>
File: 142316978954.png (28 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
142316978954.png
28 KB, 200x200
>>2825413
AWP is allowed
>>
>>2829706
>no awps
>no autos

never play on those shit tier crybaby servers. Auto is a piece of fucking garbage anyway I don't get why people are so scared of it. Its only good against complete noobs.
>>
we should all play as_oilrig sometime or some goofy map that never gets played. i am totally down with being the VIP I could totally get those USP 1 taps 8)
>>
>>2825413
>connect to server
>always dust2
>scream in agony
>GIVE ME SOMETHING DIFFERENT
>>
>>2829642
yes they do. What are you moving while you shoot or something? The cross hair literally gets bigger when you move which SHOULD indicate something to you.
>>
>>2829723
oilrig was by far my favorite map and gamemode.
>>
>>2830005
for real as_ maps are so underrated
>>
Anyone remember?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exBo0Rotd50
>>
>>2830558
there was another group who used to pull funny shit too, they would get admin controls and do shit like people's mouse1 to die
>>
loved it. good old times

>#5on5 on irc
>>
its a shame that servers only had de_dust2 at the end

there were so many great maps

cs_havana
as_oilrig
de_survivor

man i miss those days
>>
Anyone liked zombie plague?
I always felt it could've been far better. The gameplay was very, very obviously teamwork oriented, but everyone always went on their own so zombies always won.
>>
>>2825413

tfw when u discover fy maps for the first time :o

also,
I used to play 1.6 in cal (rip cal). I stopped playing games for a while in high school, but found CoD 4 at goodwill for $5 so I got it. After 3 rounds I was always at the top of the ranks in the pubs I was playing in.

It blew my mind that an online FPS could be objectively easier than another.
>>
>>2830629
havana was shit.
>>
source is better
>>
>>2825413
You mean M4-AK-AWP-and-DE, the game? It's dull as shit.
>>
>>2832532
>i only play pubs
casual is fun and all but CS isnt really a game until youre in a scrim.
>>
>>2832532
>play cs:go
>try the mag
>rape everything
wew
>>
Who /surfmaps/ here? That was my shit in college, holy fuck I was good at them. Also played a ton of TF1, never tried 2.
>>
>so popular (at least in latin america)
are you brasilian OP?

>>2825447
i never bought original CS 1.6, but i currently still play Day of Defeat "goldsource" (thats halflife1, same as cs16), and theres still surround sound, what do you mean, in cs16 steam updated you cant eco locate footsteps?
>>
>>2827319
true, the nutsjobs only play dust2 24/7 full servers of it hahah.

its easier to just go out, make 9 friends and then convince them to play good'ole cs16 with you on some forgotten maps
>>
>>2829723
>>2830554
>>2830005

with todays 1mbps ~2mbps UPSTREAM on our home connections, isnt it enough for 10 players?

im totally down with being the VIP too if you get tired of it, ill even bear the high latency from intercontinental conn
>>
>>2834869

dust2 is best map though

inferno is corridor shit, only retards with tunnel vision like maps like that along with office.
>>
cs_havana
cs_rio
de_piranesi
as_oilrig
dod_kalt
>>
>>2834932
Inferno is the fuckin bomb mate, it seperates the men from the boys. If you can't win T side inferno you are shit at counter strike.
>>
Why do people actually liked Aztec and Assault? Boring camper havens imo.

>>2834934

love piranesi
>>
>>2834948

nade spam isn`t hard mate
>>
>>2834960
neither is waiting for the other team to waste their nades...hard to die from a nade when you wait for the other team to blow their loads.
>>
>>2834980

that`s why inferno is shit, its just a constant stalemate
>>
>>2834981
no you smoke left or right side mid throw a flash in that same direction and push through facing the other way. B despite being a corridor is very easy to take 5 people can over power 2 no problem if you smoke and flash right.
>>
>>2834986

left is always camped by CT which have a much more easier time fucking Ts up with fewer numbers. Most successful T strategies went for middle and right.
>>
>>2829687
>>2829692
>>2829701
>>2829704

That's nothing compared to the American Revolution mod for Half-Life known as The Battlegrounds. Every Player is an amateur history buff and slme servers kick you for breaking RP rules ecen when there in no RP. For example running around an avoiding bullets and trying to flank the enemy instead of joining in the line battles.
>>
>>2825413
A good percentage of the server list are actually fake clients/bots and fake servers. So not as many people as you think.
>>
>>2827307
It's always been a buggy pile of crap with one of the worst fanbases in existence.
>>
>>2835236

as much as I like CS, I can confirm this. The only other online shooter I actually liked was DoD source, but it gets boring fast, whereas CS will rarely get stale.
>>
>>2825447
>EAX/A3D
EAX isn't surround, it's environmental enhancements like reverb and wall muffling. Your current hardware should likely have support for the equivocal of A3D - HRTF. Even realtek generic audio supports it now external the game.
>>
>>2835247
Except HRTF is only part of the A3D 2.0 experience. You're forgetting stuff like wavetracing, which gives geometry based occlusions and reflections.
>>
>>2835265
The wavetracing calculates the game's geometry to make things sound as they should. It isn't a set of canned effects like EAX. With EAX reverb, if you walk into a room the reverb comes on, then nothing changes until I walk into the next room, at which point a different reverb comes on (if the game actually has a reverb for every room in the map, in many cases the reverb only changes in a few spots). With Wavetracing, if I walk into a room, reflections come on, and they constantly change every frame as I move around and duck and walk by pillars, and it just keeps going as you move through the map. No other sound hardware has done this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAOcdfCN-RU
>>
>>2829723
>>2830005
The best thing about as_oilirig was War3: TF mod. You could teleport as Human CT through the ceiling at CT spawn to land directly in the building near the helicopter (some kind of bug apparently, it worked only in this one spot).
Oh, many butts were hurt when I did that as VIP.
>>
>>2825447
A3D was the reason wallhack was created
>>
>>2835239
old school kicks the shit out of dod source
bayonets, FG42s, enfields. Source was just such a fuckin let down.
>>
>>2835265
His concern was surround sound not environment simulation. Surround sound still exists in the game.
>>
>>2835308
I'd definitely prefer not playing with it. Since the audio on it isn't even centered properly where it should be and the positional sound is bit wonky - yes with straight headphones. Things like the access denied door sounding like it's bouncing to the left and the right but not directly in front of you at all, almost as if their sound was 0% dry and 100% wet reverb output or something. The HEV suit sounds like it's bouncing around on the sides rather than right their by your head. The meat locker crane didn't seem to track position quite right.
>>
>>2835385
No it wasn't. Wallhacking was created because people wanted to win, even more true when money was an issue as "pro gamers" have a significant cheating base. It definitely wasn't to compete with 'super accurate' sound processing, which it really wasn't more. As for locating targets you could do that even without a proper soundstage even, outputting stereo with headphones for examples without A3D would still let you hone in the pinpoint position of a player through stereo separation just fine - it's not spatially correct modeling but it still positions directionality properly. Your issue there is sound being heard at all and if you play really any games online you'll note that a majority share of players are pretty damn deaf anyway. Rudimentary sound gives you a leg up on most players.
>>
>>2835001
inferno should have a player on each side of mid a player on apartments and 2 on B. It's CT sided as fuck but you can win T side if you are legitimately good at cs
>>
>>2836936

T side wins usually if CT team is full of noobs that try rushing Ts. It`s a shitty camper haven map otherwise, I mean like both left and right are skewed for CTs to just wait around and let Ts funnel themselves in a row for the shots.

why retards never go middle is beyond my comprehension.
>>
>>2825413
the competitive scene is completely and totally dead though. if you mean there are still random community servers up, then yeah. but it's really not worth playing anymore.

which is unfortunate considering it's the best cs game, but that's another discussion
>>
>>2836958
I have played lots of all 3 (well 4 including CZ) and GO is easily the best. 1.6 is very close and source is just awful compared to those two as far as being competitively tuned. For fun maps and bullshit source is easily the best, I wish people still played jailbreak on GO. I loved griefing and making some 12 year old warden rage.
>>
>>2836963
I don't know man, I play it solely competitively. In those terms, plenty of people prefer 1.6 because of csgo's admittedly bad RNG. not that csgo isnt the best competitive game out there right now, but it's definitely not perfect.

just wish I got more into 1.6 when it was in its prime
>>
>>2836964
I blame 64 tick horseshit for bad registry on GO. Shots that the RNG says only do like 4 damage when with proper 128 tick server refresh you're hitting a lot more consistently. 1.6 matches are probably more fun because its with better players most of the time, even legendary eagle master on CSGO is fucking trash.
>>
>>2836967
I know what you're saying, but I mean regardless of the servers, the rng is still there. the recoil mechanism in csgo is fundamentally different and plenty of people dont like it, some do though of course.

I never play mm anymore either, just esea. mm global used to be pretty decent, but valve fucked something up bad with the ranks and now legit novas are up there. also nice having your shots actually land regularly
>>
>>2836973
Yeah I am almost at global but the other SMFCs on my team are all dumb as fuck and I usually only solo que. I was going to get ESEA once I got to GE. MM is so bad though, I get too angry to play it sometimes. Im going for it right now actually cause I want to say "I beat cs:go" lol and move onto real matches. My friend says he can do 15 RWS some games and I am way better than that shitter. I have played faceit, and CEVO. Faceit was pretty fun played some legit professionals cause I was at top of daily ladder one day.
>>
>>2836981
just get esea dude. i've played matchmaking, cevo, faceit all plenty, and esea is really the only easy to use one that actually puts you in a game regularly where teammates dont quit, AND the servers are good quality (usually).

not trying to shill either because i really hate the people that run esea, but whatever. if you can stay at smfc/global then you should have no problem with the difficulty of esea
>>
>>2836986
Yeah I know I just need to pony up and get it. My friends are always telling me too. I just really want to hit GE cause some of my friends who are way shittier than me somehow got there and I need to as well haha. Will get ESEA for sure if I can do that. I know MM is meaningless poop and the rank system is broken and stupid as fuck but some autistic part of me just wants that blue marble.
>>
>>2836994
getting to global the first time, even at this point, still does take a little while, but once you get it it's pretty damn easy to get back, unless you really lose a lot.

go for it, but after a while you probably wont even care anymore. I got global on a couple accounts so long ago and really couldnt care less now
>>
>>2836718
Even if not perfect it still sounds way more dynamic with it on. The A3D sound can be tuned to your liking with some console commands.

http://web.archive.org/web/20021226223405/http://www.vortexofsound.com/techhelp/gm_hl.htm
>>
>>2836718
The effectiveness of HRTF depends on the shapes of your ears, so maybe that's why its not perfect for you.
>>
>>2832828
TFC brofist. I played TFC more than any other Halflife mod. I played it competitively. I miss it more than any other FPS.
>>
>>2829497
lmao no that's me . how's your proto-CoD doing anyhow?
>>
>>2837131
Hahaha, not that much buddy. Try again.
>>
>>2837141
So most drivers let you change and use a custom HRTF profile for no reason? Obviously the feature is there for a reason.
>>
>>2837141
You realize you don't have to actually use HRTF right? A3D works fine with surround speakers.
>>
>>2837154
Yeah, HRTF is but a means of simulating surround sound on headphones. Don't need HRTF if you use surround speakers.
>>
Is there anyway to get this plus Half Life (basically all GoldSrc games) running at a non-shit framerate? I've tried fucking around with all settings imaginable but these games still run terribly.

inb4 shit computer. ive got a 770. i know its something to do with OpenGL but is there any fix?
>>
Why does everyone hate Source? I like how the weapons are all so insanely accurate, makes it more arcade-like. You can generally go for headshots way more often. With GO, it feels it's best to go for body shots and to try to control the spray of your weapon, which I understand is an integral part of CS, but I don't see why the absurd accuracy of weapons in CSS makes it bad.
>>
>>2837349
Pisspoor hitbox registry.
>>
>>2837349
Valve is killing off CSS on purpose by charging it double what CSGO costs.
>>
>>2837367
It's hitreg is better than 1.6.

>>2837349
The weapons aren't more accurate, the hitreg is though and less significant bugs for shit. Though it has other improvements. It's been a windy road of updates for both. Of course they have even worse recoil mechanics these days than they used to after they borked it up similar to GO mechanics.

>>2837341
Probably one of the video settings after they updated the video to be shit. Try checking 'low video quality' it actually makes the video quality not fucking terrible for starters and uses the older style of video rendering before Valve decided to goof it the fuck up. I get 100fps solid with 32xS AA and 8xSGSS on with a card far less powerful. They did a patch a year or two ago or something to let older players remember what it was like to get Valve quality patches that broke the shit out of things and made shit worse.

>>2837639
CSS was kind of already dead anyway given how long Valve sat with fucked up master server lists full of garbage. There are people still playing it, but it's fairly fucking empty and has been for quite some time.
>>
>>2836726
wait wai twait
are you saying it is posible / ppl did that, use A3D streams from the server to programatically show precise directions and approximate distance, using some CS plugin?
>>
>>2837702
No.
>>
>>2837702
No. Wallhack just shows player models through walls if they are close enough the server thinks you need the data. Autoaim sends mouse movement until your screen is locked onto their player model.
>>
>>2837349
CSS has retarded hitboxes the head hitbox is fucking massive
>>
File: GOHBX.png (219 KB, 616x631) Image search: [Google]
GOHBX.png
219 KB, 616x631
>>2838185
>>
>>2838286
They released a new game just to change the hitboxes?
>>
>>2838647
GO also removed all the retarded physics objects that cluttered up the map. No more shooting barrels on top of bombs.
>>
File: hitboxes.png (419 KB, 512x440) Image search: [Google]
hitboxes.png
419 KB, 512x440
>>2838286
>>2838286
GO changed the hitboxes again to be a bit more accurate.

>>2837736
>if they are close enough the server thinks you need the data
That was a popular mathack that worked on older Source engine version. Effectively undetectable but could be prevented by sv_pure. Not a problem these days though. True wallhacks gave you the position of everyone no matter their distance or occlusion.
>>
File: hl2 2011-11-01 11-40-12-57.jpg (261 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
hl2 2011-11-01 11-40-12-57.jpg
261 KB, 1024x768
>>2838286
The CSS hitboxes are better in that picture. Missing parts of the body is worse than not having more of the body. Shooting someone in the face or the back or ass should count as a hit - not be 'close enough'. A game should never penalize a player for doing something right, but it's okay if they fudge the margins if they do something wrong. Ideally per pixel or per vertex is best. But that's not what they did and they'd probably fuck that up as well.

>>2838185
The head hitbox isn't fucking massive, it just has a slight overreach in some areas. If it was a problem at one time, it was fixed and wasn't a problem for the longest and anyone complaining about the hitbox in CSS but glorifying the horrific reg and shit like the aimbug of goldsrc was retarded. CSS had it's own reg problems too, but it was significantly better for accuracy in ever respect. GO's hitreg was worse, though I can't comment on how it is now since I haven't played it anytime soon.

>>2838662
Physics objects were great. They added more dynamism to the game and you could use them to fuck with people, change up the flow of a map dynamically to slow or route. Plus it gave you something to do while waiting for fuckers to get in position in shit games. They were one of the best additions to the game.
>>
>>2838671
>Position of everyone
Wow, I didn't think the netcode in source was that shitty. There's no reason to give that data to a client unless you're waiting for it to abused. Besides wasted bandwidth.

fucking A, gimme tribes baack. fuuuuck. 40 players servers, 56k was perfectly playable for a client. The server didn't need to send you data for anyone that was past the fog layer because you couldn't see them.

MMOs are dying, right? Maybe Shooters will get netcoders back.
>>
Warning: there's a CSS autist on /vr/ that has been active here for over two years. He's retarded enough to believe that CSS wasn't a broken piece of shit with the worst hitbox registry in the entire series by far. It's the reason the game never hit anywhere near the heights that 1.6 did in competitive gaming. GO however is a worthy successor to 1.6 and former 1.6 players have made the move to it - something they never did with Source because of the absolute atrocity of a game it was. It was also pretty much impossible NOT to get a headshot in Source. You could literally aim at someone's ankle and still score a HS it was so fucking ridiculous.

Just clearing that up. Source was always objectively a piece of shit and that's never gonna change, despite what some idiotic tool has to say about it. Have a nice day.
>>
>>2829701
so true. played DoD a lot in 2011/12. Old dudes would ban you for literally anything they didn't think the nazis would do or say in 1942
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdo9HZTgr6s
>>
I loved the hook mods.
>>
>>2837736
i asked because someone claimed that
>>2835385
>A3D was the reason wallhack was created
>>
>>2838959
nigga i wanna play some raindance so fucking bad
>>
It runs on toasters and it's perfect cybercafe fodder. That's hardly surprising.
>>
>>2830629

No one liked havana man.

Probably the most universally hated map.
>>
>>2838286

I remember seeing an image detailing while css can never be competitive or something. i hope someone has it here.
>>
>>2839271
>raindance
What is it?
>>
>>2839081
One of the funniest things i've seen all day.
>>
>>2840603
a tribes map (im talking about the tribes 1 version specifically)
>>
>>2841168
>Tribes
Fuck.
I've been wanting to play this multiplayer for years.
>>
>>2841849
There's still a community that plays. Google tribesnext I think. They reverse engineered the master server so when they finally shutdown they just remade them
>>
>>2842038
Derp
http://tribesone.com/smf/public-discussion/new-tribes-master-server-instructions/

Tribesone not next. Next I'd for t2
>>
File: image007.jpg (2 KB, 160x60) Image search: [Google]
image007.jpg
2 KB, 160x60
tribes is goat

obligatory.
>>
File: _28375-.jpg (279 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
_28375-.jpg
279 KB, 1920x1080
Best custom maps?
>>
Here in Chile was popular as fuck, I think they're some servers around

Gud Times early 2000s
>>
>>2842115
As far as I know it still is relatively active here in Argentina. CS is just one of those games that just won't die.
We sudacas just love that damn game.
>>
Ah, good to see a game that isn't pixelated for once on /vr/.

I mean, pixels are good and all but that's not all there is.
>>
File: cs-2323-awp_map_clarion.jpg (42 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
cs-2323-awp_map_clarion.jpg
42 KB, 800x500
>>2842114
or that fucking icy rectangle.
>>
>>2830558
>>2830579
Myg0t
Thanks for the memories. Here's another classic https://youtu.be/g_VtIkF8pDY
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.