[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
He's never coming back, is he?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: Goemonrooftop.jpg (54 KB, 600x393) Image search: [Google]
Goemonrooftop.jpg
54 KB, 600x393
He's never coming back, is he?
>>
>>2825038
Not unless you like playing pachinko.
>>
>>2825038
I'm sure Konami saw the fans want Goeman back in there little survey this past summer....if they even read them. :(
>>
File: goe_yae.jpg (341 KB, 618x800) Image search: [Google]
goe_yae.jpg
341 KB, 618x800
The goemon team left Konami in 2005 anyway. They made a great swan song for Goemon with the DS game though, a shame it's still untranslated, but it's amazing.

I hope Good Feel gets to make an original IP for once, so far they've only made Nintendo IPs (all good games though). A spiritual successor to Goemon would be good.
Or maybe a rare chance of Konami letting Good Feel make a new Goemon game, but that's highly unlikely. Maybe with the help of Nintendo...
>>
>>2825060
I don't...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCCfPS8A8dA
>>
File: whylive.jpg (25 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
whylive.jpg
25 KB, 512x384
>Ganbare Goemon 2, 3, & 4 will NEVER get translated
>>
>>2825070
Just keep in mind that they can always license the IP to someone else. Like they did with Hudson's Momotaro Densetsu, which they gave to Nintendo.
>>
File: goeyae1.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
goeyae1.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>2825159

Yeah that's why I think maybe with Nintendo funding it, Good Feel would be able to make a new Goemon game. I don't think Konami themselves would be interested, but if they let Nintendo fund it and Good Feel develop it, then that'd be great.
I don't think I'd want to play a Goemon game without Etsunobu Ebisu involved.

I remember Goemon got quite a lot of votes on the Smash 4 ballot (I think he made it to the top 15 or so), so who knows.
Still very, very unlikely, I don't really want to hold my hopes up. I just accepted Goemon is no more, the old games will always be there.
>>
>>2825175
I voted for Simon Belmont, Goemon and James Bond from Goldeneye.
>>
File: 1416247649683.gif (177 KB, 255x191) Image search: [Google]
1416247649683.gif
177 KB, 255x191
>>2825087

>0:58
>>
>>2825113
I'm mostly concerned about 3 because 2 and 4 are mostly playable without being able to read.
>>
>>2825113
What makes you say this? Goemon is relatively well-known and I hear people mention the untranslated games somewhat frequently (on this board and elsewhere). I'm sure someone will pick it up and actually finish it eventually, at least one of the games.
>>
>>2825087
Glorious Goemon music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV9cHpgljOU
>>
Nope.

Blame the piss poor sales of the PS2 reboot where they tried to make Goemon like Naruto.
>>
>>2826042
It's a weird feeling to be happy and sad about that failing. Sad because Goemon series tanking, but happy because oh god if it sold well and they thought "This is what the kids want!" Goemon WOULD still be going today, and it WOULD look like that.
>>
File: goemon.jpg (11 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
goemon.jpg
11 KB, 240x320
>>2826128

Yeah, same here.
And probably since it was on PS2 it would be the one Goemon game most people would know about if it was released on the west. Even worse if you consider the working designs guy was going to make the localization. A lot of people would hate Goemon now, /v/ would shitpost about it everytime someone mentioned him.

We seriously dodged a bullet as a fanbase, even if as you said, it's sad to see Goemon failing, but it was for the better, we got DS goemon after that.

I think Goemon Team departing from Konami was something that was going to happen sooner or later, Igarashi and Kojima followed later and look at Konami right now. Etsunobu made the right choice, I think.
>>
>>2825038
Maybe it's better that way. He was embarassing on Sony systems.
>>
>>2825070
>They made a great swan song for Goemon with the DS game though
The game was full of aonuma zelda like bullshit, the graphics were gorgeous though.
>>
>>2825113
I've been waiting for years even after completing them.
>>
>>2826265
No? The PS1 games were at least decent, some of them actually great.
>>
>>2826356
The best PS Goemon were mediocre as fuck.
>>
>>2825113
2 can be played with no Japanese.
3 sucks.
4 would be tough but I would just use a guide for the puzzles since they are hardly the interesting part of the game.
>>
>>2825945
There have been a few translation projects for each of the SNES games, and they've all failed.
The humor and script are fairly hard to translate, just by the nature of the works. At this point I don't even get my hopes up when someone says they're working on the series because i've been let down so many times
>>
>>2826265

The 2D games on PS1 are good.

>>2826267
>aonuma zelda like bullshit

I don't know what do you mean by this. I enjoyed the game thoroughly. Although it's been years since I last played it.
>>
>>2826464
>The 2D games on PS1 are good
Being playable doesn't make something good.
>>
File: 0722_image_08.jpg (78 KB, 424x244) Image search: [Google]
0722_image_08.jpg
78 KB, 424x244
>>2826265
>He was embarassing on Sony systems.
That's because the PlayStation Goemon games were made by other teams. The people who made the original Famicom and Super Famicom games were the ones who formed KCE Kobe and did the N64 versions.
>>
>>2826480
>>2826489

what PS1 Goemon games are you guys talking about though?
I'm not talking about New Generation Goemon (which are indeed embarrassing).
But there are 2 titles on PS1 that are at least on par with the Famicom/SNES games (although maybe not as good):
Ganbare Goemon: Uchuu Kaizoku Akogingu and Ganbare Goemon: Oedo Daikaiten

Those 2 are classic 2D Goemon.

Then there's a 3D one that was released in 1998 (called "Kuru nara Koi! Ayashige Ikka no Kuroi Kage"), but it really doesn't hold a candle to Mystical Ninja starring Goemon. And then there's new generation which is a sidescroller but it features the awful redesigns, that one was released on PS1 on 2001.

I was only talking about the first 2 I mentioned, the others are indeed forgettable.
>>
>>2826489
Kobe was founded much earlier then that, Iga even said that the CV team not only came out of Kobe but was also part of proto Treasure as well.

http://www.gamingcx.com/2011/08/gamecenter-cx-episode-7-prince-of_6706.html (interview starts at 27:36)

Kobe also did Twinbee & most of Parodius as well (the MSX one was done by proto Treasure who most of them were in Tokyo).
>>
>>2826496
>Ganbare Goemon: Oedo Daikaiten
Okayish. It's a cheap GG2.
>Ganbare Goemon: Uchuu Kaizoku Akogingu
Meh.
>New Generation Goemon
Eh.
>Then there's a 3D one
Eeew.
>>
>>2826517
>Kobe was founded much earlier then that, Iga even said that the CV team not only came out of Kobe but was also part of proto Treasure as well.
True, but they operated strictly as Konami originally. The various Konami divisions (KCE Kobe, KCE Tokyo, KCE Japan, KCE Osaka, ect.) were established officially during the fifth gen.
>>
>>2826642
Kobe did most of their console stuff (Tokyo did some NES stuff like Skate Or Die, Rollergames, NES Metal Gear as well as Osaka with NES Hinotori) when Tokyo did PC (Mainly MSX & X68000 games) & Arcade stuff (I have a feeling that Kobe was solely opened up to bypass Nintendo's hold on 3rd parties at the time).
>>
How are the GB/C titles? Two actually made it here but nobody ever talks about them.
>>
>>2825945
>What makes you say this?
Script locations are a mess. Sure, someone could change every line to 0001-9999 and figure out where each line takes place that way, but everyone interested in translating it doesn't want to put in the effort and is too autistic to work with others willing to help out.

>>2826402
>The humor and script are fairly hard to translate, just by the nature of the works.
That's more of a copout answer, given that they've already been mostly translated and posted on youtube. And the humor itself could just was easily be revised with a later patch to overhaul the script after creative input is had from players & more experienced people with localization.
>>
>>2825113
did magniuskun give up on his translations or something?
>>
File: 276864-mninja64_badguy2.jpg (51 KB, 579x415) Image search: [Google]
276864-mninja64_badguy2.jpg
51 KB, 579x415
>>2825038
>>
>>2829043
The one with the cats is nice enough.
>>
>>2829043
Out of the two black an white Goemon game on the Game Boy, the Kidnapping of Ebisuramaru is the good one, which was the one they included in one of those 4-in-1 Konami compilations for the Game Boy Color.

The second one, Mystery of the Black Ships, was the one that got a stand-alone stateside release under the Mystical Ninja and it's kinda shitty, which is no surprise since it was made by KCE Nagoya (the same people who did Castlevania Legends and botched the Saturn port of Symphony of the Night).
>>
>>2829415
>That's more of a copout answer
It's really not, trying to localize some of the jokes flat out doesn't work. A 1:1 translation of the games would read incredibly awkwardly, and not carry any of the humor and charm.

You pretty clearly do not understand much about how localization works...
>>
>>2830310
This. I played my fair share of Goemon and most of the jokes are untranslatable wordplays and cultural references.
>>
>>2830310
>muh faithful translations
copout, autism
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.