[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Link have pink hair?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 320x233) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 320x233
Why did Link have pink hair?
>>
amerifats weren't involved
>>
It probably was supposed to be brown...and blended in way too much because a lot of that game IS brown
>>
File: hideto.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hideto.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
Because hide was at the peak of his popularity in Japan and everyone wanted pink hair.
>>
File: zeldapinkhair1.jpg (3 MB, 2560x3350) Image search: [Google]
zeldapinkhair1.jpg
3 MB, 2560x3350
>>
>>2824828
Contrast
>>
File: 1448226428826.gif (2 MB, 400x332) Image search: [Google]
1448226428826.gif
2 MB, 400x332
>>2824841
>hide
>>
>>2824842
>literally nothing said as to why his hair is pink
>>
From what I hear, it was palette limitations. Supposedly on most TVs of the day, it looked the correct hue of brown.

However, considering that Link's Uncle has purple hair, I suspect this may be a bullshit explanation. Hell, hasn't anime always had a "thing" about weird hair colors out of nowhere? Like chicks with _green_ hair in a cast of otherwise completely normal-hued characters?
>>
>>2824828
>stealthdobsonthread
>>
>>2825235
>Supposedly on most TVs of the day, it looked the correct hue of brown.
If you had been alive then you'd know this is a lie.
>>
>>2824839
I remember it being brown on the SNES and only noticed it pink when I emulated it on ZSNES in our programming class at school back in 1997 or 1998 or so, a few years after I sold off my SNES, MD, SCD, TG16 and game collection because I discovered emulation (should not have done that).
I used to play vidya at school, copy my savestates to floppy, bring'em home and continue my game from that point.

Anyway, I think it was meant to be brown on a regular-ass TV, but I have no way of checking this.
>>
>>2825260

I was alive, just playing my Sega Genesis. Didn't play ALTTP until I was already a man.
>>
>>2825265
>>2825235

It was never meant to be brown, on old TVs or otherwise.

You can see official concept ALTTP Link figurine with pink hair here:
>>2824842
>>
>>2825260
I'm >>2825265
As said, I'm sure I've never noticed it as pink until after I started emulating.
I can't say if it was brown on the TV with absolute certainty, but I can certainly say I never noticed it as pink before seeing it on a computer screen. The only pink I remember was bunny Link.
>>
>>2825271

That was yet another thing that got me thinking "...I bet that's a load of horseshit.".
>>
>>2825271
That's really QI.
Why do I not remember it as pink, though?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nGeFmFCUfw
>>
>>2825292
meant for >>2825274
>>
>>2825287
Maybe you just didn't notice it at the time? It sort of blends into the brim of the hat if you're using a shitty TV and an RF connection.
>>
File: tumblr_lsogs20yVQ1qf2jixo1_400.gif (496 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lsogs20yVQ1qf2jixo1_400.gif
496 KB, 360x360
>>2825292

That's about what I'd expect. Explanation confirmed as bullshit.

Thank you Anon.
>>
>>2825303
I'm still slightly skeptical if only because that video was shot using an adapter, presumably to connect it to a more modern TV.
Any RF videos?

>>2825296
I said as much earlier ITT, that I may have just never noticed. Combine the fact that I sat quite a distance from the screen with the fact that CRT TVs in general blow goats when it comes to quality imaging and you could imagine why I'd never noticed it as pink.
>>
File: natural blond.png (49 KB, 181x197) Image search: [Google]
natural blond.png
49 KB, 181x197
japan is weird about hair color
characters will often have bright unnatural colored hair that is contrary to canon to stand out
>>
>>2825220
God, I have seen people post that picture so many times thinking that this proves why his hair was pink. That's the wrong interview. That one just proves that the pink hair was intentional.

The interview they're thinking of said that the art department gave him pink hair as a kind of placeholder, and everyone liked it so much (or at least got used to it) that they just kept it.

Nobody complained about it at the time, either, but then again, Zelda fans weren't the rabid frothing idiots they are now.
>>
File: Japan_Reuters[1].jpg (2 MB, 2048x1332) Image search: [Google]
Japan_Reuters[1].jpg
2 MB, 2048x1332
>>2825380
They're weird about hair color because their hair arr rooks arike. That's why white people are the master race, we're colored like protagonists in a sea of brown realism.
>>
Until /vr/ pointed it out, I always viewed that pinkness as the brim of Link's cap. I still do
>>
>>2824841

I love X-Japan.
>>
>>2824839
Pretty much this I think. They ended up making it the color it is to kinda provide a visual anchor for the player to be able to easily track the position of the main character even with peripheral vision (such as when examining a different part of the screen). The only logical explanation that comes to mind to be quite desu.
>>
>>2825235
>it was palette limitations
Such limitations might have existed on the NES, but no way on the SNES. Besides, patches have been made to change the hair color (look around RHDN for instance).
>>
>>2824828
Do you see the sign in the future teller house?
Goatse
Can't unsee
>>
Does somebody have an old Nintendo Power lwith pics from the game? I'm not american, but my local Nintendo magazine back in the day had a section dedicated to tricks and tips extracted directly from Nintendo Power. I remember reading some tips about getting something across a cave full of spikes, and Link's hair was blonde in the pics.

I could be misremembering, but i'm pretty sure about the hair. I never owned Lttp for my snes, but i owned those magazines for years. Maybe they did bullshots?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.