[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Sonic Xtreme was released, what would Sonic look like today?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: SomethinBugginYou.jpg (89 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
SomethinBugginYou.jpg
89 KB, 640x480
If Sonic Xtreme was released, what would Sonic look like today?
>>
>>2823989
Xtreme
>>
File: 285087-ngbbs4df013f1e9594.jpg (22 KB, 599x322) Image search: [Google]
285087-ngbbs4df013f1e9594.jpg
22 KB, 599x322
>>2823992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gok60e1G0ks
>>
>>2823997
this shit right here is why konami dropped out of the industry
>>
>>2824036
no they dropped out of the industry because they fired people like based Tak.
>>
>>2823992
Championship
>>
>>2823989
Sonic Xtreme looked absolutely terrible so not that different
>>
Sonic can't get worse nowadays, so it would probably be better.
>>
Xtreme is interesting from a historical stand point but honestly as a game it really didn't look very good.

>>2824480
>Sonic can't get worse nowadays
Please, remember the 06/Secret Rings/Sonic GBA days? I actually think Sonic's in an okay position at the moment, Colors and Generations were great, Lost World was okayish and I'm told Runners is fun but I haven't played it. Honestly the only bad Sonic game in ages was Boom and that was a cartoon tie-in by a western developer.
>>
>>2824485
>Secret Rings/Sonic GBA
those weren't bad, the ds games and dark knight were worse but they weren't bad either
>>
>>2823989

Probably like Snoop Dogg.. Smokin a blunt with all the white women on his shoulders and all the white dudes putting just beiber acts but failing like larry appleton failed to procreate.
>>
>>2824485

GBA games aren't THAT bad, I'd rank them over most of GG/SMS titles. Pocket Adventure in NGP still my favourite handheld Sonic game
>>
>>2824505
>>2824492
Sorry, I meant the GBA port of the original game. Released on the series' 15th anniversary IIRC. Quite an anniversary present.
>>
File: JadeGully.jpg (136 KB, 683x599) Image search: [Google]
JadeGully.jpg
136 KB, 683x599
>>2823989
If, by some slim chance, it was released in its early stages, it would've probably been seen as a joke. The Isometric Game wouldn't have accomplished anything that Sonic 3D didn't. Sonic-16 game would've tried to slow down the pace of the game and jam SatAM characters in, leading to a bit of a niche game that most players would've felt was strange. And Sonic Mars would've pushed the 32X's hardware too hard, while still failing; that version of the game could've been pretty fun, but would likely have been forgotten. Either way, not much would change besides one other retro game for people to make fun of or look to as a curiosity.

But for the Saturn version everyone knows? There was a whole bunch of production trouble and communication difficulties throughout development; and nobody really had much of an idea of what they wanted it to be, with the base concepts changing a few times. Even if there were no scuffles between Sega of America and Sega of Japan, and even if Naka was cool with them using NiGHTS' mechanics, they'd basically designed to have the game running on two separate engines; one for bosses, one for the levels. If they went with that idea, it would feel disconnected. If they went with Nayakama's insistence that they use a single engine, it would be too late in development to really do anything substantial.

If it had been ready by its intended deadline of 1996, the main programmers would be dead from stress. Sega was planning on pouring a lot of advertising money into it, so it would've been a disjointed mess hyped to crazy extents. And while not having a Sonic game for the Saturn DID cause a lot of annoyance, having an overhyped game would just deal a bigger blow to Sonic earlier on.

As for how Sonic would look? If development continued with Sonic Xtreme late enough, Sega of Japan might not have taken it into their own hands to make a 3D Sonic game; we might have not gotten Sonic Jam or Sonic Adventure, or we might have gotten them later.
>>
I'm amazed by how good the 3D World in Sonic Jam was. A full game like that would have been incredible.
>>
>>2824536
tl;dr but I would play the fuck out of a 2.5D Sonic game like the one in yo' pic.
>>
>>2824572
>what is 2.5D
>>
>>2824492
>Sonic Rush and Sonic Colors DS
>Worse than Sonic Advance
You have shitty taste in Sonic games.
>>
>>2824664
Isometric games are very often labelled/referred to as being 2.5D and pseudo 3D. More so during the height of their popularity, but not an invalid label nonetheless.
>>
>>2824738
>liking any Sonic game
You have shit taste in video games.
>>
>>2824738
I can't speak about Rush but Colors DS was definitely worse than the Advance games.
>>
>>2823989
Lost World
>>
Here's the thing, OP: it's not just the fact that Sonic failed to make the transition to 3D. Even if Sonic X-treme had gone off without a hitch, you still have a great game on a horribly mismanaged console released by a largely dysfunctional company. That means Sega _still_ goes down the tubes, _still_ releases the Dreamcast even though they have no intent to stay in the console industry, and Sonic Adventure will _still_ be a huge step down as Yuji Naka & co. lose all interest in trying to make quality games amidst a never-ending maelstrom of corporate idiocy.

Sonic was always tied to Sega, and as they fell, so too did Mr. Needlemouse.
>>
>>2823992
Kek
>>
>>2823989
Considering all the insane shit that went on behind the scenes, if Xtreme managed to be released after all of that, the Sonic series would probably have gone full Bubsy and died right then and there.
>>
>>2825350
This
>>
Nothing would probably change
>>
>>2824738
The first Sonic Advance was the only decent one of all of them. The other two and the DS games were infected with too much boring running and insta-fast on-rails dullness.
>>
>>2824993
>>>/trash/
>>
>>2825509
Their soundtracks were great, though. SA3 in particular had a stellar soundfont the likes you'll never see again unless some fangame is making direct homage to it.
>>
>>2824494

How did you even manage to connect to the internet
>>
>>2825350

This. Sonic Adventure being Sonic's "first" legit 3D game (and being at least decent) is basically how the franchise kept going. A gameplay mess like Xtreme would have just confirmed the already building suspicions that it couldn't work in 3D and he'd be done.
>>
>>2826453
>>2825350

It's really arguable as to if that would have been better or not.

Imagine if there wasn't pressure to constantly be releasing Sonic stuff, and a dev team decided to give a good crack at it with no rush to it. We might actually have gotten something gold in that timeline.
>>
>>2825991
Sonic soundtracks are almost always good, though, with two notable exceptions (3 if you count Sonic Genesis).
>>
>>2824738
Not really, advance 1 at least resembles the best sonic games.
>>
>>2824204
WR-WR-WR-WRRRESTLIINNG!!
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.