[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember when Nintendo really milked Pokemon in the 90s? Pokemon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11
File: image.gif (76 KB, 780x599) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
76 KB, 780x599
Remember when Nintendo really milked Pokemon in the 90s?

Pokemon Snap, Puzzle League, Hey You Pikachu etc etc
>>
And I wanted them all, I WAS CLOSE.
>>
File: TCG_EN_boxart.png (208 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
TCG_EN_boxart.png
208 KB, 256x256
i remember i used to buy the cards but never bothered to learn how to play until i got this game
>>
>>2823154
it was still better than the pokemon shit coming out today
>>
File: Gengar PT2.jpg (243 KB, 1015x681) Image search: [Google]
Gengar PT2.jpg
243 KB, 1015x681
>>2823180
Gengar was my fucking card back in that game. Shit, even though Haunter did 10 damage his attack always made the opponent fall asleep. You could milk Haunter for days until you got the card you wanted.

Also, the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqBJhgncVek
>>
I really liked Pokemon Snap, such a unique game.
>>
They should have stopped with Gen. 2.
>>
>>2823215
I'm not poo-pooing it but loved it as a kid. But when you find out the game is just an hour long it's pretty jarring.
>>
File: 91ysII+QOEL._SL1500_.jpg (298 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
91ysII+QOEL._SL1500_.jpg
298 KB, 1500x1125
I spent months raising this ungrateful asshole
>>
>>2823154
They're still doing it. I'm not making a comment on whether it was only okay back then, or if it's only okay now, but they never stopped looking for every possible way to shove it down peoples' throats.

I will say that the Pokemon fanbase is the hardest to introduce the concept of a series' entropy to. That is some brand loyalty on another level. A lot of the biggest 'fans' of it have no concept of criticism towards something they claim they love and it's terrible.

>>2823215
I agree, and I don't know why they never tried it again even once or twice more, given how peripheral heavy Nintendo got I'd think it would be absolutely perfect.
>>
File: 1423164789423.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1423164789423.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>2823154
>yfw beating mewtoo in puzzle league even though he had +20 blocks on you
>>
>>2823529
Zeta impressed me there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7AUTjc-mA
>>
>>2823154

Pokémon Snap to me is still the most 'alive' feeling Pokémon game. Back then I figured a actual Pokémon game like that wasn't too far off....

If only...

Now if they made a new Snap that was open world free roam that would be awesome.
>>
>>2823215
Agreed.
>>
>>2823154
I remember, and I fucking loved it. 1998 through 2001 was the golden age for Pokemon.
>>
Nintendo really missed an opportunity by not making a sequel to snap on Wii U using the Gamepad as the "camera"
>>
>>2823595
I think the major appeal of Snap is that the gameplay itself is built upon secrets and attention to detail. You might be able to finish the game in an hour but it's so full of content that it'll take a lot more time to discover the majority of it.

I don't know if there are any modern games comparable to it. In terms of game design it's really neat, like it's essentially a lightgun game without killing (though you do assault a lot of pokemon with apples). The way the game progresses is sort of metroidvania inspired, you get items which unlock new paths in areas you've already explored. The Yume Nikki type games have a similar idea behind them - it's exploring areas looking for weird secrets and things and finding items which let you get to more secrets - but they don't have that feeling of the world being alive like you're talking about
>>
File: Team_Rocket_trio_OS.png (2 MB, 2590x2337) Image search: [Google]
Team_Rocket_trio_OS.png
2 MB, 2590x2337
>We're ready whenever you are!
>Aaaaaaallll right!
>Let's go!
>Show us what ya got!
>Ooh, I love a good battle!
>Ooooh, keep it up!
>Okay, let's see what you can do!
>I'M FEELING GIDDY
>HAHAHAHAHAHA PREPARE FOR TROUBLE
>Meowth, dat's right!

Spa Service mode was my favorite Puzzle League mode by far.

Spoilered for personal blogging and not /vr/: It feels really weird whenever I glimpse the Pokemon animu on TV again and try to see where it's gone. I used to have dreams about being a Pokemon master and catching them all, I named my character Ash in Pokemon Yellow, I got my Pikachu above level 72 without trying to trade him over and evolve him because our bond was special, I kept playing with the trading cards and always tried to get a Charizard because Ash had one, I hoped that Ash and Misty would get together... And now whenever the TV show comes on, I find it hard to emphasize with any of the protagonists. I immediately start rooting for the Team Rocket trio as soon as they appear, share their frustrations and hopes, and lose interest as soon as they go blasting off, but take comfort in the fact that they'll never leave each others' side. I don't know what's happened to me.
>>
>>2824576
normal people feel nostalgic for 5 minutes then go about their daily lives
>>
no, nobody remembers at all
>>
File: team rocket.jpg (142 KB, 500x550) Image search: [Google]
team rocket.jpg
142 KB, 500x550
>>2824582
That can't be helped. We're all nostalgic here. I'm nostalgic. You're nostalgic.
>>
>>2824576
I stopped watching the anime as a kid about the 6th time Ash released a really strong Pokemon because he wanted it to be free. I had enough, it was so fucking stupid.
>>
>>2824847
You know what, this kind of thing wouldn't be stupid if Ash's motivations changed because of it. I feel like if he realized he cares more about Pokemon individually early on, he could become a non-trainer Pokemon master and maybe pass the torch onto a new main character and refresh the series.

But they just have to maintain that sacred status quo cash cow.
>>
File: image.jpg (298 KB, 726x879) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
298 KB, 726x879
Did someone say gen 1?
>>
File: pokemon2015.png (52 KB, 818x590) Image search: [Google]
pokemon2015.png
52 KB, 818x590
>>2823154
They're milking it even more today.
>>
>>2824906
BEST GEN

PLEB MILLENNIALS DON'T EVEN KNOW
>>
>>2824962

gen 1 and 2 are the only ones allowed on /vr/ anyway.

Don't even try to start shit.
>>
>>2824964
i honestly wouldn't know, i just saw my niggas ash and gary on the 4chan recent images box and had to jump in. I actually thought this was /v/, where a bunch of those fags blindly defend those new generations as if their lives depended on it.

also GEN 2 SECOND BEST GEN
>>
>>2824962
millennials grew up with gen 1 ya dingus
>>
crystal is the best /vr/ pokemon game because you can play as a girl
>>
>>2824972

>Ash and Gary

They're called Aka and Ao
>>
>>2823232
damn my 10 years old self would have been so fucking happy with that
>>
>>2824972
>>2824982
They're called Red and Green.
>>
The minigames in Pokemon Stadium were the best shit.

I tried the pinball games and couldn't really get into them, but I've heard nothing but good things about them. Maybe I just needed to git gud.

How is the trading card videogame? I collected cards as a kid but never really got into the game side of them.

>>2824568
>The Yume Nikki type games have a similar idea behind them - it's exploring areas looking for weird secrets and things and finding items which let you get to more secrets - but they don't have that feeling of the world being alive like you're talking about

Sorry for getting a bit off topic, but do you know where I can get a copy/file of Yume Nikki that doesn't get detected as malware? I had the game on an old computer and I've been trying to find it again forever, but I don't trust any version of it I've found thus far.
>>
>>2823154
why does jigglypuff have a negev?
>>
>>2824982

>AKSHUALLY

If all the weebs died tomorrow I wouldn't even feel bad
>>
>>2825946

You want Steven Seagal to die?

You monster.

also I think that guy was just joking, you sperg king
>>
>>2825671
>How is the trading card videogame? I collected cards as a kid but never really got into the game side of them.
It's fantastic but these days you might as well play the online one.

pokemon.com/tcgo

If you can tolerate new Pokemon anyway.

It's more balanced, looks better, plays better, you can play online, and it's free. You don't need to buy anything to jump in and be competitive because of theme decks. There's also NPC trainers to play against and you'll have to in order to unlock cards and get used to your decks.
>>
>>2825946
People who come to 4chan and then complain about weeaboos will never make any sense to me.
>>
>>2824539
Well said. Past generations will claim Woodstock and other shit, but I lived through the pokemon golden age when I was the prime age bracket (~10 years old). My life is a success.
>>
>>2825664
you mean Red and Blue?
>>
>>2826743
>>2825664
>>2824982
I thought it was ASH and COCKS
>>
File: 1445795118741.gif (1 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1445795118741.gif
1 MB, 300x169
>>2826752
Kek
That's funny
>>
>>2826425
weeaboos are fucking losers man, I love me some chinese cartoons but those fucking losers just want to be part of another culture so bad its pathetic.
>>
>>2824906
second worst gen after gen 2
>>
>>2823154
>Remember when Nintendo really milked Pokemon in the 90s?
No, I don't, considering Nintendo doesn't make Pokemon and never did.
>>
>>2826743
Blue's the chick in the manga, but was going to be a playable option in Gen 1.
>>
File: 1447538881438.jpg (2 MB, 1296x1784) Image search: [Google]
1447538881438.jpg
2 MB, 1296x1784
>>2827140

>enjoying cartoons
>not enjoying japanese philosophy, martial arts and shinto religion

disgusting pleb
>>
>>2824981
Yeah but it's just not the same playing as a character that shouldn't be there, imagine playing yellow as a girl
>>
>>2827249
I like that too but I am not a weeaboo faggot and also enjoy those forms of expression from other regions in the world too. Being a nippon supremacist is fucking pathetic, pleb.
>>
>>2827276

You have a really shitty sense of humor.
>>
>>2827270
>imagine playing yellow as a girl

sounds fine to me
ash was voiced by a woman anyway lol
>>
>>2827303
no it's just some people on this board would actually believe that so I couldn't tell you were being sarcastic. They are probably all on /j/ though
>>
>>2823218
I liked gen 3 though.
>>
>>2825928
That's an M249.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.