[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NES or Famicom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: nakayama.jpg (188 KB, 700x1583) Image search: [Google]
nakayama.jpg
188 KB, 700x1583
Hey /vr/
I'm thinking of getting either a NES or Famicom and rebuilding my collection of games after all these years.
Long story short, I want to be able to play both on one console, so I was going to get a famicom AV (the toploader) and then just use an adapter for NES games. As far as I can tell, this way I get the AV output and can play pretty much most games. Any thoughts/recommendations?
>>
>>2823142
Don't rule out getting an original Famicom and AV mod it, it's not all that hard (very easy unless you need to remove jailbars when it gets slightly trickier, but not too much)

Also there's quite a few games on Famicom Disk System when it comes to the japanese library. For example: Zelda and Zelda 2. So you should consider getting either an FDS, or just the Twin Famicom which has that built in.

The Twin Famicom also has the added benefit of having the cleanest AV output.
>>
>>2823142

I wouldn't even bother at this point. NES is perfectly emulated and you can download the entire ROM set in a matter if minutes.
>>
File: to hell with the sun.jpg (62 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
to hell with the sun.jpg
62 KB, 1600x900
>>2823159
Thats a very interesting point about the FDS. I didn't even know about the twin fami either, thanks!

>>2823164
I want to collect the games, I'm already well aware I can emulate.
>>
>>2823173
Oh, yeah. The AV Fami also doesn't have the mike so games that use that won't work unless you mod it back in (it is possible).

For instance they changed the thing with Pol's voice for the cartridge release (released later than the disk release) of Zelda since that cartridge was released at about the same time the AV Famicom came.

The problem with OG Famicom and Twin Fami though is that you get the hardwired controllers with short cables. It can be remedied via either modding the cables to be longer or by using the 15-pin port to plug in a controller. Either controllers made with the Famicom in mind, or you could make an adapter to NES controller ports. In fact you can plug in two controllers in that port.

Some games, although, seem to be incompatible with it (but most, and probably all in the Japanese library, are). Some games can use that port for a third player.
>>
File: it's okay.jpg (59 KB, 349x324) Image search: [Google]
it's okay.jpg
59 KB, 349x324
>>2823221
Some more food for thought. Much appreciated!
>>
File: $_12.jpg (28 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
$_12.jpg
28 KB, 500x375
>>2823159
This, also, if you want to play NES versions you should use this it's very cheap and works 100%
>>
>>2823142
I'd go with the console that matches the carts you're going to play the most just so you don't have giant NES carts on an adapter towering out of a famicom. Aside from that I'd go for famicom on price and durability.
>>
>>2824294
NES needs to be modded though to get the extra sound for fami games that use that (Castlevania III for instance) and I much doubt you'll get the FDS to work on a front-loader.
>>
>>2823142
I'd go with the console that matches the carts you're going to play the most just so you don't have giant NES carts on an adapter towering out of a famicom. Aside from that I'd go for famicom on price and durability.
>>
>>2823142
>>
>>2824294
>>2824309
>>2824329
did you need to say it three times?
>>
How are games for FDS?
Aren't magnetic fields going to get less for the long time?
>>
>>2824356
Yeah. At least one of my games won't start anymore. But then it's an inofficial release on a modded quickdisk, not official nintendo FDS disk.

Also depends on your FDS unit, some will be better at reading more iffy disks.

So, getting an FDStick (it's more or less an emulator of the actual disk unit that will plug into the RAM adapter and thus have perfect extension sound, compared with flash cards that currently only have half-assed sound emulation) and playing using that, or modding your disk unit for writing so you can rewrite the disks using the FDStick (or a few other methods, like connecting to the parallel port of a computer, but that requires old DOS programs and an old computer)
>>
I have a setup that allows me to play everything :

>AV Famicom (with NES pads 'cause I like those better)
>NES to FAMICOM converter to play NTSC-U games on it
>Everdrive N8 to play rare games, romhacks and translations
>a PAL NES to play PAL exclusive games at the speed they should be played.

There. You can play everything.
>>
>>2824414
But generally speaking, most FDS games I've gotten work OK for the time being.

Just avoid getting untested copies and stuff like that.

Also good luck finding ones still having the manuals, if you want to collect those.

I only have two (Akumajou Dracula/Castlevania and Metroid), and I was extremely lucky finding those.

BTW, FDS Metroid is neat because you can save without passwords. Akumajou Densetsu too has saves.
>>
>>2824419
>Everdrive N8 to play rare games, romhacks and translations

you can play FDS on that too btw.
>>
>>2824423
But how is the extension sound?
From the recordings of it I've heard it sounds badly off-key.

Even if that's been fixed the N8 has to _emulate_ the sound chips, so won't be as accurate. VRC6 emulation also sounds slightly off, from what I've heard.

I'd advocate FDStick > Everdrive for FDS, since it uses that actual RAM Cart. It's a bit less convenient though since it only stores 8 disk sides.
>>
>>2824420
>Akumajou Densetsu
should be
>Akumajou Dracula
I got them mixed up.

Akumajou Densetsu is CVIII in weabooanese.
>>
>>2824343
No, and I didn't
>>2824294
>>2824309 (You)
>>2824329
No idea what's going on. Sorry for the multiple posts but was the board fucking up not me.
>>
File: smug emobird.png (51 KB, 168x157) Image search: [Google]
smug emobird.png
51 KB, 168x157
>>2824486
>but was the board fucking up not me.
>>
File: Speedwagons.jpg (217 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Speedwagons.jpg
217 KB, 800x600
OP here, I've gone with an AV Famicom, gotten a NES adapter and I *might* get a flash cart to get those super expensive/super rare games or ROM hacks like this Anon >>2824419

Also as I'm a UK fag I completely forgot about the difference in voltage, but after a quick google, a UK megadrive mark 1 power supply will match the AV famicom perfectly.

Thanks to everyone in the thread for your help. /vr/...you guys are alright.
>>
>>2824643
Ah yeah, I had to get a power convertor, I don't remember the price but I think it was around 20€.
>>
>>2824643
yeah Famicom, AV Famicom, Megadrive, Super Famicom/SNES and PC Engine (briefcase) can all use the same power supply.

I think Twin Fami might be the same but with reversed polarity though, but I'm not sure.
>>
Depends on a shitload of factors.

Famicom has fucking short cords. So if your TV and couch/wherever you're sitting is pretty far away, you're pretty fucked and you're going to be using extension cords and shit. Likewise, if you have the original famicom and the controllers start to go, you're pretty fucked.

If you can't read Japanese and you want to play like JRPG's or text heavy games you're basically going to be consulting a walkthrough 100% of the time.

My advise is just to get a toploader NES, and buy for whatever region you're in.

A lot JP only games have reproduction carts you can get from sites like shop (dot) chipmasters (dot) us (not really shilling, but its where I get mine from for the most part. You can get FF2, Sweet Home, and Mother ranging from 35-55 USD.

Famicom games are on the rise just like everything else, and if you go for famicom you basically completely eliminate any chance of getting games locally. While I don't buy a lot of games locally, occasionally a guy will be offloading on CL or something and I can pick up some deals for cheap.

I have a toploader that's been RGB modded for reference.
>>
>>2825076
>Likewise, if you have the original famicom and the controllers start to go, you're pretty fucked.
Nah, they can be replaced quite easily. You just need to unscrew the console and unplug the old controller and plug in the new controller there. It's totally solderless, since it uses a connector.

There's also controls that plug in to the HD15 port on the front of the Famicom.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.