[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
He literally did nothing wrong.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
He literally did nothing wrong.
>>
He did
>>
>>2823069
He was given 5 weeks to make the game. If he was given more time he probably would have made something good seeing as he did Yar's Revenge and other 2600 top sellers. Also, Spielberg played it prior to release and gave it the OK, so Spielberg could have stopped it. If you haven't seen it, I'd highly reccomend watching Atari: Game over.
>>
File: 1448486670865.gif (894 KB, 258x237) Image search: [Google]
1448486670865.gif
894 KB, 258x237
>makes some of the best games for the Atari 2600
>given his time constraints for E.T., no one should blame him
>he's been forgotten to time
>>
This revolutionary game that was before its time has been patched and is now flawless.

http://www.neocomputer.org/projects/et/
>>
File: s_Saboteur_2.png (4 KB, 640x380) Image search: [Google]
s_Saboteur_2.png
4 KB, 640x380
Saboteur is one of the best 2600 games and it never got released until like two years ago, it's a shame he stopped making games after the crash
>>
>>2823539
ER is actually a really good game. The only issue was using pixel collision instead of a hitbox.
>>
>>2823736
ER for 2600 when

I wanna be a single pixel that's supposed to be George Clooney
>>
>ET
>bad

It wasn't any worse than the Indiana Jones games on the Atari.
>>
>>2823067
Holy shit look at that neckbeard. You could stuff a pillow with that thing.
>>
>>2823747
I agree
The main problem with it was the falling glitch, and the shitty sound effects (wich were common at the time)
If you take that off, you have a solid game, with items system, two main villains, and it actually is related to the movie. Give it two extra weeks of development, and it could be fine.
>>
>>2823067
No I don't think he did anything wrong aside from biting off more than he could chew. It was simply too much for one person to take on, make good, and release in such a short time span.
>>
It was a stupid idea to try to make complex adventure games for a system so basic and primitive.
>>
>>2824142
Clearly you've never played zork.
>>
>>2824148
Zork couldn't run on the 2600 either
>>
Considering he made E.T. in 5 weeks, the game is super fucking impressive and ambitious compared to most Atari games.
>>
Anyone who thinks ET is the worst game on 2600, just try fire fly.
>>
The system was ok fot the time and only in that time. Any honest person knows it was shit.
>>
>>2824254
there are 2 good games on the atari, warlords, yar's revenge, river raid and solaris
>>
>>2823539
>He was given 5 weeks to make the game.
That's when you say "not possible, fuck off."
>>
>>2824254
Or Skeet Shoot. Hell, almost every sports game was god awful.
>>
>>2824262
I larfed.
>>
>>2824140
This, I never understood why they dumped such a huge account on one person instead of a team of programmers
>>
>>2825312
I thought that was just how Atari worked. A lot of games were made by just one person.
>>
I want to play 2600 games but Stella is such a shitty ass emulator
Any better ones?
>>
>>2823067
>he did nothing wrong
he partied too hard
>>
>>2824264

Not easy when they flash the royalties numbers in your face.
>>
>>2825457
But this game was more important to them because of all the hype surrounding its movie tie in so they should have made a better effort to make sure it was done right.
>>
>>2825484
no kidding, I play them in browser emulators, just type name of the game + online on google.
on related topic, both retroarch and mess support atari games
>>
>>2823067
That battlestation is awesome. What even is that thing over on the left?
>>
File: 2185799066_d961d75a5c.jpg (85 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
2185799066_d961d75a5c.jpg
85 KB, 500x333
>>2825971
>What even is that thing over on the left?
my guess would be an EPROM programmer similar to pic
>>
>>2825985
Pictures of stuff like that are near orgasmic. I'd love to see video of someone using an EPROM.
>>
ET isn't as awful as people say it is, compared to other games on the 2600.
>>
>>2824153
Source?
I smell bullshit.
>>
>>2826168
How many text games are there on the 2600?
How the fuck are you gonna input commands with a one button joystick?
>>
>>2823067
>believing the myth that jesus did nothing wrong
>believing that's a pic of jesus
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.