[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does this game have the most underrated setting in all of gaming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: Shadowrun_SNES_cover.png (104 KB, 300x220) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun_SNES_cover.png
104 KB, 300x220
Does this game have the most underrated setting in all of gaming? I am actually surprised it's setting and themes haven't been copied much if at all.

From what I seen of Shadowrun Returns it doesn't seem to capture the same feel that the SNES game did although it looks like an okay game.
>>
>is cyberpunk underrated

No
>>
Oh shit! A friend of mine reccomened this to me the other day. When I complete Metroid Fusion, this is next. Does Shadowrun live up to the hype?
>>
>>2822509
Not just Cyberpunk anon. Also the fantasy elements to go along with it. That's what I meant.
>>
I like it. I can understand other people finding either the story's progression a bit dull and slow-moving or the game mechanics themselves a bit strange to get a grip on so I've always assumed that's why it's never been lauded with much fanfare.
>>
Maybe the best thing about the SNES game was how much it played up the film noir aspect of cyberpunk and how it expressed it in its visual design. A lot of cyberpunk games, even other Shadowrun video games and the PnP RPG, tend to be more straight technothriller/action, and play either the super-chrome angle or else the total low-life one. SNES Shadowrun's aesthetic oozed futurism though, maybe better than almost any other video game I can think of.
>>
>>2822492
Dragonfall captures the Shadowrun universe pretty well. I haven't played Hong Kong yet but it's supposed to be good too.
>>
>>2822527
>SNES Shadowrun's aesthetic oozed futurism
I don't know what you mean by "futurism", but nothing in it seemed futuristic to me. Drab colors and 20's style architecture permeated everything. Guns and computers looked old and run down as well. It's like a derelict retro futurism, in a way.

The Genesis game felt way more futuristic, the decadence there didn't seem to affect technology. But it's really just two different styles of futurism, I guess.
>>
File: 1443020610323.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1443020610323.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
All I remember form this series was the game that caused PC/360 online connectivity to be scrapped because a dumbass with a mouse beat the best controller players 9/10 times.
>>
>>2822516
all sci-fi is fantasy
>>
>>2822582

All fantasy is sci-fi.
>>
>>2822561
Halo?
>>
>>2822609
Nope
>>
>>2822624

Yes.
>>
>>2822582
The high fantasy elements anon. Like elves, dragons, talking dogs, etc.
>>
>>2822558
>I don't know what you mean by "futurism"
And yet you still felt somehow qualified to try and comment anyway.
>>
>>2822551
>I haven't played Hong Kong yet but it's supposed to be good too.
They took some liberties with the magic voodoo elements because le mystical orient, but yeah I found it as enjoyable (if not more) as Dragonfall.
>>
>>2822649
Those are all based in science
>>
>>2822674
Now you are just acting like an ass. I have never seen another game combine all these elements in the way Shadowrun did. Besides FF and maybe few other games I guess but then what >>2822558
said is pretty much how I saw it. Shadowrun SNES version is at the very least unique. It's a one of a kind kind of game.
>>
>>2822697
Do you always get mad when people don't let you say literally anything you want?
>>
>>2822674
Next you're going to say that Ki and Chakra attacks are actually possible.
>>
>>2822697
>>2822767
>replying to him
>>
File: Motoko Kusanagi .gif (1 MB, 400x480) Image search: [Google]
Motoko Kusanagi .gif
1 MB, 400x480
>>2822582
>>2822609
That's deep, man.
>>
File: 51sSzQXnlVL._SY400_.jpg (30 KB, 313x400) Image search: [Google]
51sSzQXnlVL._SY400_.jpg
30 KB, 313x400
In case it wasn't known, the Shadowrun video games are based on a pen and paper RPG in its 5th edition. There are several lines of novels as well if you like the setting.
>>
Are these shill threads? I've just been seeing a LOT of Shadowrun threads lately after almost never seeing them ever for years. Just a question...
>>
>>2825407
Or that MegaCD game that is never going to get translated.
>>
>>2822512
It's hard as fucking shit. You'll likely need a walkthrough for this bullshit. That aside, graphics, music and gameplay (when you know where the fuck to go) are awesome.
>>
>>2822492
Something about the way this post is worded makes it sound like you're unaware that this game is based on an old tabletop RPG of the same name first published by FASA way back in the day.

If by "copying its settings and themes" you mean games with a cyberpunk theme, then there have been a good number over the years. If you mean games actually based on the Shadowrun setting, there haven't been many as it would require a license from whoever the hell owns Shadowrun at any given time. I think Catalyst Games is the current owner, although I couldn't tell you who (if anyone other than HareBrained Schemes) holds the rights to publish video game titles.
>>
>>2825609
>ShadowRun is hard
Lol, yeah right. Once you get invisible spell the game turns into a cakewalk.

Minesweeper hacking isn't hard either when the game gives you ICE every turn.
>>
>>2825537
A lot of people have fond memories of the old SNES/Genesis Shadowrun games and the success of the Shadowrun Returns series on PC is likely responsible for people talking about them more.
>>
>>2825681
Microsoft owns the video game rights for Shadowrun along with most of the other FASA IP and has been letting it sit unused for years. HBS had to cut a deal with a dragon to make Shadowrun Returns and now the new BattleTech game.
>>
>>2825862
didn't they have the actual guy behind mechwarrior for that?
>>
>>2822642
Sci-Fi is dictated by at least one novum or futuristic element that conforms to a speculative or scientific rule.
Fantasy rejects this in favor of magic or a world where explanation isn't necessary.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.