[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup /vr/ Do you guys know where I can learn how this game engine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: mm7-21.jpg (172 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
mm7-21.jpg
172 KB, 640x480
sup /vr/
Do you guys know where I can learn how this game engine is working? (Might and MAgic 7)
I know for instance that games like these have fan patches, fan mods, even a full new game made out of the original engine and assets
How do theres guys do it? Do you know where I can learn specifically how to do it for this engine? it feels like the knowledge on this must be online somewhere
>>
>>2822418
>even a full new game made out of the original engine and assets
Are you talking about Echo of Destruction? That thing won't come out I believe.
Also perhaps you should talk to Sergey a.k.a. Grayface. He just released the second version of the MMExtension which allows modifications of outer maps.
>>
>>2822418
I played a bit of MM6 but the goofy character portraits prevent me from immersing myself in the game.

Is MM7 basically the same as MM6 in terms of gameplay?
>>
>>2822758
MM7 has better mechanics, the classes are more balanced, has a good and evil path, and continues a certain bit of story from MM3 and HoMM2/3 (though you don't have to play MM3 to understand this, as MM3's actual plot can be contained to its ending video, honestly). It's pretty great. However, it was also a little rushed out, which mostly shows in that the dungeons are really lame.

MM7 rocks, whichever way you look at it. It's MM8 where most people start having issues, and nobody ever likes MM9.
>>
>>2822529
no I'm talking about this :
http://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/10974
https://hg.assembla.com/mm7/

Very interesting project, they apparently have put tons of work into it since 2010, and it is currently up to the point where you can download the source code on the website, build it, launch it, and it will run MM7 completely as if you were running the original .exe file.
This means that basically as long as you know C++ you can change anything in the game.

What I don't understand though is why such a cool thing is completely under the radar, for instance most of the source code is undocumented, but also I can't even contact the guys who made it.... they seem to be in Kazakstan or some shit.
Hence my question is basically how do I contact these people ? or alternatively how do I learn about how this engine works?

sry maybe this is off topic for /vr/
>>
>>2823562
Oh, that one.
Last time I heard they switched to unity.
>>
>>2823562
>>2824941
Also forgot to mention, here is their facebook page so you might try to ask there. Also they are russian if that helps.
facebook/mm7engine/
I don't know, with all these HD textures and waters it kinda takes away the visual charm of the M&M games but that's just me.
>>
>>2824941
>>2824958
yeah I realized they moved to unity but the normal C++ engine source code is still being updated
basically what I don't get is that they don't even tell what the fuck they are working on
I agree the unity stuff is pretty bad and jarring. I think it'd be easier to just refactor the whole engine that the game is easily moddable as fuck, and in a second time working on how to integrate better graphis
>>
>>2826983
And that's what M&M8.5 Echo of the Abyss tries to do.
Check it out, they've made a new outdoor area
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3veFpPAlKE
Also they plan to add new classes, monsters and HD textures without moving to another engine. Though sadly updates are VERY slow and who knows if the project is still alive.
>>
>>2822758
>the goofy character portraits prevent me from immersing myself in the game

Are you sure it's not the fact that you play as a camera floating around an angular lowpoly world inhabited by sprites with 2 animation frames?
>>
Seeing these 3D remakes reminds me of Might and Magic 9 actually.
>>
>>2822758
>Is MM7 basically the same as MM6 in terms of gameplay?
Yes, except MM7 is better in every single way than MM6.

People who say MM6 is better than MM7 are just blind nostalgiafags.
>>
>>2828241
except that 7 lacked the mind-bogglingly vast dungeons 6 had.

7 had baby shit in comparison. Give 7 the dungeons of 6 and it would be the perfect game.
>>
>>2829214
Thunderfist Mountain and The Maze were pretty long.
It doesn't need long-ass dungeons but I would like one Tomb of VARN dungeon at least.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.