[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: weird/obscure adventure games If there's an obscu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 18
File: 250px-Obsidian_Coverart.png (120 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
250px-Obsidian_Coverart.png
120 KB, 250x250
ITT: weird/obscure adventure games

If there's an obscure game you're having trouble finding, check for it on Adventure Legends, it has a ridiculous archive.

To run a lot of older games, I suggest using the program Oracle VM VirtualBox to run something like Windows 95 or 98.

You can find a couple already-set-up VM's on the Adventure Legends forum here, be sure to : www.legendsworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13565&view=unread#unread

>run VirtualBox
>click New at the top to make a new virtual machine
>go through the steps, then when you get the chance, choose to use an existing virtual harddrive and select the VDI file you downloaded
>>
File: 5997-8-shivers.jpg (44 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
5997-8-shivers.jpg
44 KB, 640x480
Shivers
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
Alice: An Interactive Museum
>>
>>
File: Bad_Day_on_the_Midway_Coverart.png (161 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Bad_Day_on_the_Midway_Coverart.png
161 KB, 256x256
The Residents' Bad Day on the Midway

I tried playing it once, I don't think there's a goal, you just explore and see weird shit.
>>
File: the-residents-freak-show_1.png (82 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
the-residents-freak-show_1.png
82 KB, 640x480
>>2822568
The Residents' Freakshow

Similar, but smaller.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (77 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
77 KB, 960x720
9: The Last Resort

Haven't played it, though.
>>
File: 17249-TheDarkEye.jpg (16 KB, 480x300) Image search: [Google]
17249-TheDarkEye.jpg
16 KB, 480x300
The Dark Eye

A collection of interactive stories based on E.A. Poe's short stories. All in clay-mation and featuring the voice of the author of Naked Lunch.
>>
Drowned God

Haven't played it, but I believe it's about like every conspiracy theory. Apparently the guy who made it later murdered his wife, pets, then himself.
>>
File: shivers2.gif (121 KB, 1000x400) Image search: [Google]
shivers2.gif
121 KB, 1000x400
>>2821450
Shivers 2
>>
File: 1434740825925.png (17 KB, 116x99) Image search: [Google]
1434740825925.png
17 KB, 116x99
>>2822575
>Apparently the guy who made it later murdered his wife, pets, then himself.

say what?
>>
>>2822894
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Horse#Death
>>
>>2822949
>The Daily Mail reported on July 13, 2008 that rather than the "Romeo and Juliet" scene described in many articles relating to their deaths, Horse had stabbed her thirty times before killing their pets and stabbing himself until he too bled to death.

Th-Thanks, anon.
>>
>>2822568
Wow, completely forgot I ever played this game. I was far too young to deal with the game - that came to me with no manual so I had no idea what to do, and contained quite a lot of disturbing, bizarre and adult themes and content; as a result I never finished it (if such a thing is even possible), I didn't know who to follow around and look at the world through, and was generally uncomfortable playing it. I remember at some point I played as a red-eyed rat, which was pretty cool.
>>
File: Rat King 01.jpg (288 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Rat King 01.jpg
288 KB, 640x480
>>2822974
Also Bad Mojo.

Like, ridiculously underrated gem if I ever saw one. OST alone was fantastic.
>>
File: 1_005.png (102 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1_005.png
102 KB, 640x480
Eastern Mind

I played it recently, I surprisingly managed to beat it without a guide EXCEPT for one puzzle which appears to require knowledge of Japanese.
>>
File: 287390_front.jpg (70 KB, 500x706) Image search: [Google]
287390_front.jpg
70 KB, 500x706
Garage: Bad Dream Adventure

/vr/ was obsessed with finding this game a while ago until one hero bought one on a Japanese auction site. No translation project thofiugh.
>>
I can't download half the shit on this site. It's all gay 4shared links that don't work with the 4sharedserver workaround.
>>
>>2823258
>make throwaway twitter or facebook account
>log into 4shared with that account
>click "authorize app"
>>
>>2822974
Yeah, I tried playing it for the first time recently, it gave off a weird vibe. I stopped playing it pretty quickly. I just read that some of the characters have "endings," maybe I'll give it another try at some point.
>>
>>2823371
>I just read that some of the characters have "endings"
I remember some of them dying, if that's what you mean. Really the whole experience was just weird overall, not even game-like.
>>
>>2823426
Well I scanned the wikipedia and it just says some characters have "endings."

I remember going into a theatre as the kid, and a woman is on stage who tells a story about how she turns guys into tattoos of dogs, and it ends with a shot of a tattoo of a dog on her butt. Then I try to leave the theatre and some guy appears in front of me and murders me.
>>
>>2823048
The guy didn't buy it, he unironically had it in his attic.
Someone tried to translate it but got bored.
>>
>>2823437
>and some guy appears in front of me and murders me
Yeah, that was my impression as well, that there's a murderer going around killing some of the characters, and you're on a time limit of some kind. Never really bothered to play this as an adult. Maybe there's a walkthrough somewhere/
>>
>>2823465
Ehh I remember someone saying they THOUGHT they had it in their attic but it turned out they were confusing its cover with System Shock 2.
>>
>>2822572
Aww shit, I love me some WSB. Might need to grab that.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
Journeyman Project. The first one has that surreal early 3D. The second and third are more like modern point-and-click. Well, except for this part:
https://youtu.be/D4CY8G9gaFg
>>
>>2821869
Looks interesting. Apparently it was made by Istvan Pely, who is now a lead artist in Fallout 3/4. He made a couple other games called Symbiocom and Majestic, pic related.

I started playing Majestic, it feels similar to the first Journeyman Project in some ways. You explore an abandoned spaceship from afar by controlling 4 nodes, which you can switch between at any time.
>>
Are any of these obscure adventure games good at all? I don't mean in the 'it's so weird it's good' but 'it's so good that it's actually good'
>>
>>2826710
I can vouch for Obsidian, Shivers, and Shivers 2.
>>
>>2826710
I have a copy of Obsidian, the game in the OP. It only works on 95/98 though, and every virtual machine I've tried gave me fucked colors.

then again I didn't try a whole lot since I have a 98SE machine just for Rocket Jockey.
>>
>>2826734
Completely disagree with Shivers 2, that shit is awful. That said, don't let Shivers 1's cartoon villains sway you away from a great game.
>>
>>2826738
There's a sticky in the support board in the Adventure Legends forum where you can download virtual machines that already have the graphics/sound set up. Haven't tried Obsidian with it but every other game so far has worked. (Stupid question, but you did try different color settings, right?)

>>2826747
Why is it awful? The acting is awful, but it's not like it was better in Shivers 1 (although there isn't much in Shivers 1). I liked the puzzles and the weird town...

That said, yeah Shivers 1 is great, I like how in addition to your standard puzzles, there's the whole pot-collecting/matching thing.

Last time I mentioned Shivers in a thread someone was saying they hated the second one. Was that you by any chance? Just curious if Shivers 2 hate is universal.
>>
>>2826942
I have said that I hate Shivers 2 on this board before, yes. Not outside the realm of possibility that it was me.
>>
>>2823048
Seriously, who do I have to pay to get that shit translated?
>>
>>2827575
I think someone said that part of the problem is that for some reason it will be hard to actually change the graphics in the game.
>>
Myst 2, Riven.

Deeply under appreciated compared to its predecessor yet much much better.
>>
>>2826710
I'll vouch for >>2822976, interesting thread still going here: >>2815812
>>
>>2828417
I have been asking on this board if there is a version that can work on modern machines that can both:

Save your game
Play the FMVs

I can get one or the other, but never both. Has anyone here gota fully working setup? How'd you do it?
>>
>>2828771
Have you tried the gog.com version? I've never had a problem running old games if its from goodoldgames.
>>
>>2823465
>The guy didn't buy it, he unironically had it in his attic.

No, that was Chu Teng, the sequel to >>2823038. Garage was purchased at auction by a different /vr/ anon.
>>
>>2824613
I've been thinking about playing that after finishing Policenauts and having an empty place in my soul for a sci-fi adventure game. Thanks for the reminder, anon.
>>
>>2828408
>>2827575
>>2823048
>>2823465
Get me a download link, three days, and I'll see if I can crack this game open.

I don't know a word of Japanese but I do know how to open and edit most common compressed files.
>>
>>2831192
Here you go, make note of the password, and you need to sign in with a twitter or facebook account.
legendsworld.net/adventure/game/10386
>>
File: gadget-cover 1.jpg (45 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
gadget-cover 1.jpg
45 KB, 300x300
I've seen people lovingly talk about pic related. I'm gonna try it, anyone familiar with it?

>>2831192
Any luck?
>>
>>2831192
It's been 3 days. You crack anything yet?
>>
File: kgb.jpg (4 KB, 190x120) Image search: [Google]
kgb.jpg
4 KB, 190x120
One of my all-time favorites is called KGB, which takes place right around the fall of the Soviet Union. The puzzles are less about give-the-cheese-to-the-mouse and more about observation. The music is goddamn amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9SzHvG9gSo
>>
Fish Files and The New Addams Family on the GBC
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.