[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IGN recently voted their top 100 video games of all-time. They
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: Pirates.jpg (134 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Pirates.jpg
134 KB, 1280x720
IGN recently voted their top 100 video games of all-time.

They placed Sid Meier's Pirates at the 12th position. I played the game a couple years ago but I found it kind of boring. I didn't give it much of a chance, as I only played it for maybe an hour.

Is the game really all that good? To the point were only 11 other games are better? Is it really that much of a classic?
>>
>>2820934
its nice to see them giving love to retro games but IGN is shit. I checked the list and the walking dead game is #100. they really expect me to believe that shit is even in the top 1000?
>>
>>2820938
What do you think about them voting Mario 3 as the number 1 game ever?
>>
>>2820934
It's fun for a while, but it's a game of minigames, and once you've played all the minigames, you've really done everything. Definitely not one of the best games ever.
>>
>>2820938
>the walking dead game

Are you confusing Season One with Survival? S1 was a fantastic game that put Telltale on the map.
>>
all these "best games" lists get weird because of the fact that half the time people list games that they don't even care much for but that they see on other people's lists... much like those pathetic "great albums of all time" lists that Rolling Stone magazine will print up and then include a Kanye West album in there. Niggas please...
>>
>>2820942
A solid choice for sure, but I would have went with Super Mario World or Tetris
>>
>>2820945
It is from the 80s and was designed around 8-bit computers. Of course there were limits as to what you could do with that hardware.
>>
>>2820949
>game
>>
The NES version would be the easiest one to set up and play, especially on the actual hardware. Amiga Pirates! looks and sounds the best.
>>
>>2820951
Fun fact: The Number of the Beast only has one good song on it and that's the title track. Yet you'll see it in best albums ever lists all the time.
>>
>>2820958
On /vr/

Will defend point and click adventures regularly

Claims this is any different.

Okay.
>>
>>2820961
And has the best controls.

It's an open world game. A lot of fun comes from setting your own goals and seeing how far you can come.
There's also the tensity of fearing that every ship you encounter could turn out to be a Spanish pirate hunter. Navigating by map and Jacob's staff is also an experience.
>>
>>2820971
You're posting is like someone on Facebook trying hard to not out themselves to everyone that they use 4chan. Even though no one cares really.
>>
>>2820979
Well duh. It's a little easier to figure out a two button controller than every last goddamn key combo on the computer versions.
>>
>>2820992
Amiga uses a mouse and many of the computer versions use a single button joystick.
>>
>>2820995
Along with keyboard controls that you can't figure out without the manual.
>>
>>2820957
I'm not arguing about the technical limitations of the game.
The question was 'Is this one of the best games ever', and the answer, in my opinion, is 'no'.
>>
>>2821010
See, I disagree about the technical limitations part because there are many NES games (also primitive 8-bit hardware) that legitimately belong on best games ever lists, but Pirates! doesn't quite qualify.
>>
>>2820957

What the fuck does that have to do anything?

Technical limitations don't somehow limit you to a series of mini-games. That's an elective design choice. The remake released in like 2004 was pretty much the exact same game.

I enjoy Pirates!, both the original and the remake, but every time I play them I can't help but think they would benefit immensely from a little more depth a little less blatant compartmentalization.
>>
>>2820961
Pirates! required you to:

>use a game floppy with Satan's copy protection
>use a specially formatted save floppy
>doc check for still more copy protection
>nonstop disk access any time you did anything in the game

Albeit these aren't really issues for anyone wanting to play the game today since they'd be using an emulator or if the real hardware, a Flash floppy emulator, but back in the day you had to be a masochist.
>>
>>2820958
Oh Christ, go back to/v/. Either you're bankpedalling or trolling, neither of which we need any more of here.
>>
>>2820938
>being this unintelligent
>>
>>2820934
I played Pirates! Gold, it's alright. Better idea than execution desu.
>>
>>2820949
>fantastic game that put Telltale on the map.
>I like games that only pretend my choices influence things
>I like whatever the Spike awards gets paid to "honor"
>>
>>2821061
The game had more consequences for your actions than virtually any other narrative-based game. And I don't know spike awards are.

I can understand that you don't like it, just don't act like an opinion is something that can be disproven, especially with lies.
>>
>>2821007
For entering your name or what?
I checked the manual and the only other key is the spacebar to pause.
>>
>>2821054
Which one? There are two completely different remakes called Pirates Gold. One is for computers (IBM, Mac) with filtered photographs, the other is for consoles (Megadrive, CD32) with has comic graphics.
Both have their shortcomings.
>>
Pirates Gold was from the early 90s and it's a VGA/sound card remake of the original game.
>>
>>2821027
Sorry that you adore a modern game based off of a soap opera
>>
>>2821013
Oh yeah, there are plenty of great old games, I don't think you have to convince anyone posting on /vr/ of that. The hard part is differentiating between legitimate masterpieces and nostalgia.

For example, Master of Magic is, conceptually at least, one of my favorite games of all time; it's in my top 10. But back when I first fell in love with it, I was too young and stupid to realize how dumb the AI was, and blissfully ignorant of all the bugs. Nowadays, I wouldn't call it one of the greatest games of all time, but I still have have a fondness for it.
>>
>>2820949
Fuck that map. I miss when Telltale resurrected classic adventure IPs.
>>
>>2821232
For example, are Sierra adventures actually that good? Or were they good back then, but have aged really freaking badly.
>>
>>2820970
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck yooooooooooooou
>>
>>2820970
Powerslave is way better
>>
I might get hanged. But the best game of all time has got to be an mmo. not saying it's the one I'm about to mention but. I never had so much fun sneaking on to low pop servers in the middle of the night in infestation survivor stories. I had it all, probably 200 guns, tons of ammo. And every sec I was expecting to get shot by someone. shit was fun. you really had to run for your life.

don't hate me. shit was a ball.
>>
>>2821063
>The game had more consequences for your actions than virtually any other narrative-based game.
By that you mean the series of questions that the guy asks you at gunpoint at the end of the game, which you can almost count on one hand, and which have absolutely no bearing on how the story concludes? Haaaaaaaaahahaha.

>don't act like an opinion is something that can be disproven
But they can, when said opinions are based on falsehoods and inaccuracies. You're lying to yourself when you say it was such a great game. Answer me this: would you have expected the game to be as "good" or received as much attention if it hadn't been tied to a wildly (and over-) popular franchise?
>>
I don't understand the point of these "Best of all time" lists, what do they even represent, most of them are just biased and they put things in just because they were popular when they were young, not how great the concept is or how the product trascended time.

I think it's because videogames are still a really young media.
>>
IGN is shit. Their opinions are shit and I don't need to look at this list to either validate my own tastes or to get mad cuz my favorite games got shafted.

I need to play some games!
>>
>>2820970
>doesn't like Hallowed Be Thy Name
>>
>>2820970
>The Number of the Beast only has one good song on it and that's the title track.
pleb overload
>>
I much preferred the 2004 remake personally
>>
>>2821238
Like Minecraft?
>>
no san andreas in top 20. your kidding your selves. grove street home, at least it was before I fucked everything up.
>>
>>2824725
I think they added too much shit to water it down.
I don't mind the dancing minigame itself but all the items you get just reduce the challenge. Seeing ships in the overworld also cheapens the experience.
>>
>>2820970
Fun fact: you're wrong
>>
>>2824816

Quality post It's in my top 5 for non retro titles without a doubt though
>>
>>2820971
>TWD
>point and click adventure

Right.

>>2824782
Cool reading comprehension
>>
>>2820949
It's just a casualized point and click game which is insane because those were already enjoyed by middle aged ladies.
>>
>>2820970
Nigga that same fucking album had Run to the Hills.
>>
>>2825864
It's more of a choose your adventure interactive story type of thing.
>>
>>2825878
That song isn't even that good and it's just a bald-faced ripoff of the Judas Priest song Savage.
>>
>>2820949
>Fantastic game

It's not though. It's a waste of time with "choices" that effect nothing, "gameplay" that is based entirely around set pieces, progression based solely on doing what they want you to do next and the WORST art direction of any horror game ever made.

At best, it's a shitty movie that requires you to do things occasionally.

At worst, it's a scam used to drain the wallets of retards like yourself.
>>
>>2821054
Thing I don't really get from the game is how you have to keep restarting the game, instead of say accumulating everything and being able to build an empire of sorts.
>>
>>2820934
I used to enjoy that game as a kid. It was fun sailing to different islands, hiring crew,finding treasure etc. I've played it pretty recently, it was ok, not as fun as I remember. Modern games spoil the innocence of older games.
I do think that Pirates at least belongs in the top 20.
>>
>>2820934
>Some kids recently voted their top 100 video games of all-time
Cool story
>>
>ctrl+f c64
>0 results

Wow.
Pirates! on the C64 is hands down the best version of the game available. Every other one is flawed in some way, awkward controls or just being an inferior port. Do yourself a favor, hunt down the Nostalgia release and play it.
>>
>>2820934
It's definitely decent but Uncharted Waters did most of what it did better.

Too bad we never got any games after New Horizons except for the shitty MMO.
>>
>>2825932
I grew up with Pirates on the C64. How is the Amiga worse in any way?
The other 80s ports are practically identical.
>>
>>2825994
The fact alone that the screen doesn't scroll (but flip) on the Amiga version has a huge negative impact on gameplay.
>>
>>2820981
This
>>
>>2825938
Such a damn shame how overlooked New Horizons is and how dead the series is. I'm hoping we'll get a bone in the West eventually, maybe a spiritual successor or something.
>>
>>2825938
>shitty MMO
just remove free PK, add pirate and pirate-target NPCs and the game should be somewhat playable.
next step would be fixing the over-reliance on players for the markets.

because players are universally assholes, though being able to explore together with some friends could be a plus.
>>
Pirates is basically old-school Mount & Blade, but a lot more repetitive.
>>
File: c64c_original_box.jpg (86 KB, 871x441) Image search: [Google]
c64c_original_box.jpg
86 KB, 871x441
>>2825932
I was going to ask where should I start as I've been meaning to give Pirates a go for some time now.
C64 it is then.
>>
Sid Meier's Civilization would have been a much better choice for that high.

Looking through their list, the top 25 or so are far too nostalgia driven anyways. Although I'm glad to see Battlefield 1942 getting some love at #33.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.