[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some comfy retro vidya books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 12
File: nesgameatlas1.jpg (162 KB, 450x571) Image search: [Google]
nesgameatlas1.jpg
162 KB, 450x571
What are some comfy retro vidya books?
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (16 KB, 224x300) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
16 KB, 224x300
>>2820219
That's basically volume 2 of this
>>
>>2820219
>No Pizza Zone
Fuck that, fuck you Nintendo
>>
File: SMWAPE0.jpg (293 KB, 1920x400) Image search: [Google]
SMWAPE0.jpg
293 KB, 1920x400
will scanbro ever return?
>>
File: underwood.jpg (471 KB, 1280x1718) Image search: [Google]
underwood.jpg
471 KB, 1280x1718
>>2820219
Joey, I still have this, and I still appreciate you passing it on.
>>
File: Super-Mario-Adventures_8574.jpg (29 KB, 219x300) Image search: [Google]
Super-Mario-Adventures_8574.jpg
29 KB, 219x300
>>2822269

This and the SMB 3 ones were great

Anyway, contributing!
>>
>>2824656
Had this! Read it tons!
>>
File: 1395875469901.jpg (42 KB, 372x481) Image search: [Google]
1395875469901.jpg
42 KB, 372x481
Versus Books players guides are the absolute comfiest. Written by guys who were passionate about games, full of jokes, erroneous thoughts, and humorous anecdotes, not to mention excellent layouts, hand-drawn maps, and hi-res printings of official art that was usually hard to find anywhere else. Anything that Casey Loe had a hand in from this era is pretty golden. Also Gamefan magazine.

I bought a ton of guides back in the day just for official art, in fact, since this was the era before dedicated art books or just using google.
>>
Do you guys have a DL link for retro american vidya magazines? Either I'm retarded but I can't find them online.
>>
File: $_35.jpg (28 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
28 KB, 225x300
>>2820219
I remember seeing ads for that in pic related, which I got as a gift from my grandpa. I never actually owned Super Mario All-Stars, but I had the original NES versions of 1, 2 and 3, so I just used this as a handy all-in-one guide for many years. That, and I just loved flipping through it to look at pictures and to commit secrets to memory.

I never asked for Mario All-Stars, for some reason. I guess my younger self was far more frugal and sensible, since I decided there was no need for me to re-buy 3 games I already owned.
>>
>>2826589
You're retarded.
http://www.retromags.com/
It's okay, anon. Happens to us all, from time to time.
>>
>>2826597
Damn right I'm retarded. Welp, thanks a lot, at least I've got stuff to read now.
>>
File: Ocarina-Of-Time-Nintendo-Power.jpg (58 KB, 250x318) Image search: [Google]
Ocarina-Of-Time-Nintendo-Power.jpg
58 KB, 250x318
Nintendo Power made the best strat guides for 4th and 5th gen, and their magnum opus was the Ocarina of Time guide. The drawings and fluff made this book a great read.
>>
File: SMB3book.jpg (76 KB, 358x480) Image search: [Google]
SMB3book.jpg
76 KB, 358x480
I still have mine
>>
>>2826954

I remember asking for this for christmas and I got the prima guide instead.

prima guides were awful :(
>>
>>2826597
That and oldgamemags are great sources. I'd still like to find some of the jap ones that haven't been scanned afaik, especially that digicube guide for ff7.
>>
File: 851Eg.jpg (93 KB, 376x470) Image search: [Google]
851Eg.jpg
93 KB, 376x470
>>2826954
I loved how this and the Link To The Past guide were written as historical accounts of Link's Adventure. They'd never do that shit today, it would confuse the fuck out of kids.

Although I still say the Versus Books guide is technically the "best" guide for any game it is available for.

>>2827036
I loaned my VB Ocarina guide to some friends, and it came back to me fucking DESTROYED. Their parents made them buy me a replacement, but it was the shitty fucking Prima version.
>>
I was planning to read pic related one of these days. Any impressions?
>>
What were the best video game magazines of the 90s?

I liked Nintendo Power as a kid, but that was all I knew of at the time. A lot of people speak fondly of Game Fan and EGM. What else was there?
>>
>>2828667
Those three were all I ever read. Gamefan is absolutely, hands down, the best. Their layouts, articles and reviews were awesome. It was a magazine put together by a bunch of young folk who actually had a passion for video games. Shame it's impossible to find scans for.
>>
Some guy from rpg codex has been working on a CRPG book, not sure how complete it is right now, but there was a 200 page preview available.
>>
>>2828167
its basically just a big list of the guys favourite vidya with short descriptions.

i was honestly hoping for more insights and historical context.
>>
>>2820296
We can only hope anon...we can only hope.

>>2828704
Gamefan is no where near the best. Yes, its layout was pure eye-candy, but it was chockful of garbage info. I knew some people who worked there, and they even admitted that they just made stuff up. EGM had the best info, while Next Generation had the best articles.
>>
>>2829505
>Gamefan is no where near the best. Yes, its layout was pure eye-candy, but it was chockful of garbage info.
Eh. To each his own. At least it was amusing garbage info. No other gaming mag was as interesting to read. I actually sat and read each article from beginning to end, where most other magazines were so boring by comparison, I would just skim them and pick out the interesting tidbits. Although to be fair, I don't think I've ever read Next Generation
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 261x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 261x400
Maybe comfy is the wrong word for this, but I still want to post it here.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.