[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever played Battle Toads?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: giphy.gif (618 KB, 600x720) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
618 KB, 600x720
I love this game
>>
>>2820048
I've never heard of it. Tell me more.
>>
>>317967565
The initialBattletoadsgame for the NES was renowned for its difficulty, but also received a cult following and spawned sequels for various platforms including acrossoverwith the Double Dragon series. In each of the games, the objective is to defeat the toads nemesis theDark Queen her army of space mutants. It's a rare game to obtain
>>
>>2820132
They actually have it at Gamestop a lot, now that they're doing retro stuff. You should call them and ask for it.
>>
Is this game similar to Fighting Frogs or sumthin?
>>
File: thumbnail_53807.jpg (78 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_53807.jpg
78 KB, 640x360
this was a prank call I did like 5 years ago
>"hello GameStop where we etc"
>"Hi I wanted to know if you guys have this game in stock, it starts with a 'b' its pretty popular"
>"uhhhh lesseeeee here, star wars battle front?"
>"no that's not right.."
>"battlefield?"
>" is that the one where they're amphibian creatures?"
>"...no..?"
>oh oh was it "fighting froggies"?
>" uhh nothing is coming up in my register"
"oh NOW I remember. battle toads!"
>" battle toads? hmm this one isnt coming up either
>hear over in the distance on GameStop end
>"here Jason let me take care of this one"
>phone handed over
>click
>>
File: hje67aa7.jpg (59 KB, 814x768) Image search: [Google]
hje67aa7.jpg
59 KB, 814x768
>>2820207
>implying Gamestop deserves anyone's money
>>
I enjoy seeing all the crazy zany posts where people say "haha turbo tunnels was the hardest level in Battletoads!" and it's so obviously clear they never made it past that level. Hell maybe they didn't even play the game and only watched their favourite autist play it on YouTube.
>>
>>2820927
It's not the hardest level in the game sure, but it comes by so early and it completely fucks your shit up
>>
>>2820927
Not everyone who plays Battletoads can make it to the hardest levels, but pretty much anyone can at least make it to the turbo tunnel
>>
Hahha, I absolutely love memes like battletoads xD. I'm such a nerdy retro gamer lol.
>>
>>2820048
Me, too. It's a really fun game.

Not nearly as impossible as people make it out to be. I had it and beat it as a kid without warps or cheats. All it takes is time to learn the game.

I still play it every once and a while. Good times.
>>
>>2820927
its babbys first casual filter
>>
>>2821724
Casual is a design style, not a difficulty setting.

Fucking underages.
>>
beat it for the first time a few years ago. probably my favorite game of all time now (tied with Ninja Gaiden) . I can play it over and over and it never gets boring. it's just such a brilliant game... the god-tier variety and stage design, the simple but complex controls, the incredible graphics and attention to detail on the sprite work of the Toads and enemies, and a kick ass soundtrack. love it
>>
>>2820294
lol they got rek'd
>>
>>2820403
Well they do now. They're a huge chain with an easily recognizable brand, now instead of grandma throwing some old gems in the trash, or handing them to reseller scum (kek, I know) there's actually a huge network ready to circulate them. Fuck ebay/amazon/thrift hunts. I'll just keep my eyes on their website and store shelves
>>
>>2820048
I've the original cartige, I was 5 or 6 and never been able to pass level 3 (the image you are showing)
I tried again at 19 and I wasn't able to pass level 2
fuck.
>>
No I don't like racing games
>>
File: dark_queen-1.jpg (139 KB, 1024x803) Image search: [Google]
dark_queen-1.jpg
139 KB, 1024x803
>>2820048

I've beaten it, but it took two months of concentrated practice. I suggest playing the Japanese version first to get familiar with the various stage mechanics and some of the enemy placement.

The downside is that the US version is much, much harder and even seems to take pains to make anyone who uses that method suffer more. So don't get too used to it.
>>
>>2820048

Was it the NTSC, or the PAL version that played at the intended speed?
>>
>>2820207
They will just sell you Rare Replay. They literally wore buttons that said "Ask if I have Battletoads" or some such for it's release.
>>
>>2820294
There was a thread on /b/ years ago where they everyone in the thread was prank calling the guys from 'Pawn Stars' and asking them if they had Battletoads.

It got so bad that at one point a dude called up and immediately the guy at the store was like:
>store: "Let me guess, you're after Battletoads?"
>anon: "Battletoads? What's that?"
>store: "Oh I'm sorry, we've been getting a lot of prank calls recently from people asking for 'Battletoads'"
>anon: "Ah I see, well I'm not after 'Battletoads', I'm after something else in particular"
>store: "How can I help you?"
>anon: "I was wondering if you had Battletoads?"
>*click*

It was a good day.
>>
>>2822927
Playing the American version then the Japanese version made me mad. It feels laughably more easy.
>>
that is exactly every time I played that game.
>>
>>2825398

yeah for some reason I thought the Japanese version just nerfed the Turbo Tunnels and fixed the Clinger glitch, I was really shocked when I finally played it and seen how much they actually changed the difficulty
>>
>>2821586
>I've never gotten past the third level in Battletoads
>>
I have this game on Mega Drive. I haven't bothered to play it yet.
>>
>>2825368
Was there too, anon. Pretty sure they keep a wildly overpriced Tyco handheld of Battletoads in stock just so they can say yes.

>5 years ago
wew lad
>>
Rat Race killed my thumb. Fucking friction burn from pressing too fast.
>>
>>2826253

you know you run automatically when the rat appears and don't have to double tap to dash
>>
File: $_1.jpg (30 KB, 392x400) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
30 KB, 392x400
>>
>>2825368
That is a throwback to the days of calling GameSTOP about Battletoads, which was a joke inspired by the old meme of replying to "Hey guys, which game is this?" posts with "Battletoads."

Hard to believe that shit that happened during the early years of 4chan are now old enough that we have users who were in elementary school at the time they were happening.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.