[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It still pisses me the fuck off that Jenova is the real villain,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6
It still pisses me the fuck off that Jenova is the real villain, and not Sephiroth.
>>
>>2819915
It pisses me off that Sephiroth took away so much focus from Shinra.
>>
>>2819915
>spends the entire game sleeping in a crater
>greatest achievement is stabbing a flower girl in the back

The greatest Final Fantasy villain, people.
>>
>>2819915
You'll be pleased to know then, that Sephiroth is the main villain and Jenova has been dead for centuries and is only used as a physical manifestation for Sephiroth.
>>
>Expecting great storytelling from weebshit games
>>
File: Rufus.Shinra.full.227774.jpg (72 KB, 600x622) Image search: [Google]
Rufus.Shinra.full.227774.jpg
72 KB, 600x622
reminder that he did nothing wrong
>>
I remember omnislashing Jenova at the end of the game. Wait...
>>
>>2819915
Except that's untrue. Sephiroth's real body is indeed trapped in the crater, and it is indeed parts of Jenova's body that are actually walking around, but said parts of her body are actually being controlled by Sephiroth, using Jenova's power to shape-shift to give them Sephiroth's appearance. He even makes it shape-shift into one of your party members at the crater to trick whoever you told to carry the Black Materia into handing it over to him, which you then get back after defeating Jenova Death.
>>
>>2819915
That hasn't been the case since Sephiroth's popularity skyrocketed after the game came out.
In all the spin-offs and compilation shite, Sephiroth was retconned as the real villain, and if the remake ever comes out in our lifetimes, you can expect Sephy to be front and centre as the undisputed big bad.
As a Jenovafag, it fucks me right off.
>>
I've posted in FF7 threads before that the game is weird with its bait and switch, not really establishing beyond doubt which parts are really Sephiroth and Jenova, and generally being really fucking confusing. Every time a bunch people end up going apeshit while claiming that it's obvious what was happening all along yet manage to have completely opposing views. I've played the game about ten times over the years, read every bit of dialogue and it still gets hazy after a while.

It's a classic in its own right though. I don't rate any of the other media or continuations since the original game, and not just because they're all fanwanking messes. If the remake tries to establish beyond all doubt the remaining issues I'm not going to take it into consideration even if it matches exactly what I think happened.
>>
Considering the plot of the game, deciding where Sepiroth ends and Jenova begins is really hazy, and placing the blame on either one of them is really hard to do.

And saying "the plan is Sephiroth's" ignores that we never really know what Jenova is after.
>>
One Winged Angel?
>>
>>2820617
>controlled by Sephiroth,
Durr, Sephiroth never had such powers
>>
>>2820751
Well we do know that Jenova is dead, so her total contribution to the planning aspect is zero.

>>2820920
He gains them by merging with the Lifestream and demonstrates them dozens of times, did you even read what was going on or were you just smashing X as fast as possible?
>>
>>2820928
>Gains powers
>Is lifeless in mako in the northern crater
>>
I thought it was a fairly straightforward "Jenova crashes to Earth thousands of years ago. Body is uncovered and experimented on. Sephiroth is infused with Jenova cells. Finds out. Goes crazy. Decides to fulfill her original plan. Ends up in hibernation. Projects his consciousness in order to get others to reawaken him and Jenova so the plan can finally be carried out in full" plot.
>>
>>2820941
except sephiroth initially thought jenova was an ancient
>>
>summons Meteor
>has to wait two weeks for it to show up
>Sephiroth is totally the strongest FF villain, guys
>>
This is something the remake can clear up EASILY but you just know it'll get even more underwhelmingly convoluted somehow.
>>
>>2820929
He's not lifeless. How would Meteor get summoned when Cloud hands him the Black Materia if he's lifeless?

Face up to facts, Jenova is the dead one.
>>
>>2821079
If we're playing the power levels game then Shinryu wins easily. Nobody says Sephiroth is the strongest, he isn't even a god like most FF villains are/become.
>>
Fuck, I played this game something like 15 years ago and all those discussions about the game now that we know about the remake/cloud on smash are showing me that I don't remember shit about it. I seriously can't remember if it was Sephiroth or Jenova, and a lot of other details are hazy as fuck. Might be time for a replay, or maybe I just wait for the remake to come out and wait for the reviews of that before deciding.
>>
>>2819926
That was Jenova. Any appearance of Sephiroth outside the northern crater was Jenova.
>>
>>2821105
>Sephiroth isn't a god
What was Safer Sephiroth then?
>>
ff8 is much worse with this

>it's sorceress edea
>no wait it's sorceress adel
>no wait it's really sorceress ultimecia
>>
>>2821124
>it's sorceress adel

At no point was Adel ever considered by anyone to be the main antagonist. First two discs it's Edea, then on disc three it's revealed to be Ultemecia who wasn't even known to exist until that point. The game definitely doesn't blur the lines about who the main villain is like in 7.

>it's sephiroth
>no wait it's jenova
>oh wait it's not jenova
>it's either sephiroth or jenova
>>
>>2821079
>summons one silly power
>in a matter of seconds most planets are destroyed
>sephiroth totally weakest ff villain, guys

I can play this game too, easily.
>>
>>2821123
A mutant human/parasite hybrid thing.
>>
>>2821317
You know the whole "destroying the solar system" thing isn't actually canon, right?
>>
>>2821331
>a thing in the game isn't official

My kekes are sidekes.
>>
Sephiroth and Jenova are a couple
>>
>>2821102
Jenova CAN NOT be killed though, god damn even the movie establishes this, JENOVA is like god damn Buu
>>
>>2821102
Did you not pay ANY attention to what Reunion was? Or did you think it was "le sephiroth and his "mommy" jenova"
>>
>he plays Final Fantasy for the story
>he doesn't play the superior Dragon Quest
V and VII's mechanics shit on any FF game.
>>
>>2821354
>I think that an attack whose solar-system destroying animation only exists in certain versions, can be cast repeatedly and inexplicably destroy the same planets multiple times, and doesn't destroy the planet everyone's on when it arrives, is canon
Faggot YouTube parrot status confirmed.
>>
>>2821501
She can be killed, but you have to do total outright annihilation of every cell in her body.
>>
>>2821501
As Jenova has merged with the Lifestream, its cells cannot ever be fully destroyed, but the consciousness that was Jenova died 2000 years prior to the start of the game.

>>2821504
No idea what you're trying to say here. Stop spluterring and translate to English for me and everyone else who doesn't speak Fucking Idiot.

Reunion was Sephiroth calling all Jenova cells back to one place, since Jenova's consciousness was utterly dispersed by the Lifestream. This was proven by Hojo when he informs the party that he knew about Reunion and expected it to occur at Midgar, where Jenova's main body is kept, but was instead occurring at the North Crater, where Sephiroth was, showing how his will was now in control of the Jenova cells, culminating in Cloud handing him the Black Materia.

How is it after all these years and an exhaustive wiki available for perusal are you morons still getting basic plot details wrong?
>>
>>2821695
>Jenova died 2000 years prior to the start of the game
This wasn't stated ever, plus jenova has 1 line in ff7, calling cloud a puppet.
Some of the story just isn't there. All we can do is guess sephiroth was controlling jenova parts the entire time and anyone who has jenova cells.
>>
>>2821603
I fucking love Dragon Warrior 7.
>>
File: Sephiroth.full.407607.jpg (68 KB, 700x524) Image search: [Google]
Sephiroth.full.407607.jpg
68 KB, 700x524
Jenova is the main villain, but Sephiroth is the villain of Cloud's character arc. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Sephiroth is an agent of Jenova, but more than that, he represents the SOLDIER program's potential for anger and cruelty. He's the man Cloud never wants to become. Even if he's not the "main" villain, the narrative would be completely different without Sephiroth in the picture.
>>
>>2820902
Hojo's genetic experimentation fuck-up.
>>
>>2821717
>This wasn't stated ever

Gast and Ifalna have a conversation stating this. And the puppet line was, once again, Sephiroth speaking through Jenova cells.

>>2821751
Wrong, read the thread.
>>
>>2820920
>>2820929
>>2821504
>>2821717
Wow you're fucking retarded
>>
>lol, I can totally convince people that I know what happened in FF7 after watching a few randos on YouTube
This thread.
>>
File: FF6_Kefkaart.jpg (153 KB, 769x1000) Image search: [Google]
FF6_Kefkaart.jpg
153 KB, 769x1000
Reminder that Kefka is the best FF villain and that he needed no other motive than batshit insanity.
>>
>>2821850
It was never stated nor implied in the game that he was insane.
>>
>>2821856
Could've sworn it was stated that Magiteck engineering/experimenting fucked him up mentally.
>>
>>2821850
God Tier:
Kefka

High Tier:
Exdeath

Mid Tier:
Golbez
Emperor

Low Tier:
Garland
Xande

Shit Tier:
Every villain after ff6
>>
>>2821873
>Kefka
>Didn't telekinetically drop the whole party to their deaths when he had the chance
>God-tier
>>
>>2821858
Celes got Magiteck'd but she didn't go insane. Kefka must have other issues.
>>
Sephiroth vs. Kefka's Light of Judgment

GO!
>>
>>2821856
>>2821858

It was, and Celes was originally slated to be nearly as mentally fucked as Kefka was until one of the developers caught the Waifu bug and propelled her to secondary heroine status. What makes Kefka work as a villain (best if you can experience the game in a vacuum) is that he comes of as a mostly (excluding the obvious like Doma and Leo) harmless lackey/midboss goofball right up until he starts fucking with the Triad statues.
>>
>>2821887

They mentioned that Kefka received a prototype version of the Infusion process; it's also implied that he didn't have anyone to really guide/ground him like Celes did with Cid.
>>
>>2821873
>High Tier:
>Exdeath

He's not even a character. He's literally just the bad guy for no other reason than needing a villain.
>>
>>2821850
Reminder that Shinryu used Kefka like a personal plaything for no other reason than shits and giggles and interdimensional chaos as a fun bonus.
>>
>>2821928
I don't remember that in the game.
>>
>>2821942
Dissidia series.
>>
>>2821909
Why did Cid choose to help Celes instead of Kefka?
>>
>>2821952

In-game you could probably argue that Kefka's age is indeterminate; he may have been a grown-ass man when he had his done, or already on his way to being a bit fucking nuts even before, and no one would have wanted nor cared to help the dude. Also, who would deny mentoring an adorable Loli-Celes?
>>
>>2821808
>Sephiroth speaking through Jenova cells
You're the stupid one here fella
>>
>>2821695
>>2821808
>>2821828
>>2821102
>>2820928
I wish the ultimania-retcon/ff7-sequel babbies to go
>>
>tfw no matter how good they do the remake, I'll still probably just play the original.

The remake could literally be perfect in every way, but I'd probably still stick to the original. It doesn't really sit well with me supporting modern SE.
>>
>>2821989
Too bad I never read the book or saw the sequels, as evidenced by only referencing shit in the actual game.

Seriously, go play it again, it's all right fucking there.
>>
>>2822019
And you been called out for saying saying wrong things everytime you try to reference something
>>
>>2822019
LOL, you're one of those people who imagine facts in their heads.
>>
>>2819915

No, this is good. Because Sephy has zero motivation for anything he did if you take away Jenova. Jenova is some alien parasite that wishes to consume life energy.

Jenova and Seph merge and become one entity. Jenova uses Seph as her avatar.
>>
>>2820941
>Projects his consciousness

That's literally Jenova. Jenova from Shinra HQ wakes up, kills everyone, takes the form of Seph. that's the guy you're chasing for the whole game. It's also why whenever Seph shows up you fight Jenova.
>>
>>2822207
Also, in Gasts records he says that Jenova can take the apperance of any loved or whatever to trick people, Jenova tricked everyone that Sephiroth was alive as a Red Herring, like people were more busy with Sephiroth than the fact that Jenova escaped the Shinra building
>>
>>2822213
What if Jenova effectively became Sephiroth? It has brain problems from being entombed for millenia and now thinks it's actually an arrogant momma's boy? So much so that it completely jeopardizes it's biological imperative to drain the planet by pettily harassing a traumatized goofball at the first opportunity?
>>
>>2821947
>non-canon alternate reality created to shut the "all games must be related" dumb fanboys up
Ok, got it.
>>
File: 1414979303348.jpg (634 KB, 2894x2171) Image search: [Google]
1414979303348.jpg
634 KB, 2894x2171
>>2820749
anything past the original game completely retcons the ending of the game itself. although not directly stated, it is HEAVILY implied that all humans are dead at the end.

pic related
>>
>>2822765
>heavily implied they are all dead
More like Midgar is simply abandonned.

Thats a fucking huge stretch man. Midgar is pretty much the absolute worst in terms of Mako use and production with what, fucking 7+ reactors? There are a handful of mako reactors around the rest of teh world. 1 in Corel, 1 in Nibelheim, 1 underwater under junon, 1 in gonanga (I think, but its obviously offline), and I guess fort condor and afaik thats fucking it.

I think its more implied humanity abandonned Mako energy and resorted to not sucking the planet dry.
>>
>>2822469

You're completely wrong about all of that, but ok, then. You're not going to believe it's canon but neither can you prove it isn't.

It does, however, explain Gilgamesh's appearances throughout the series and his acquisitions of other Final Fantasy signature weaponry, so it's canon by default until a dev comments otherwise.
>>
>>2822794
>lol, you haven't proven a negative, so whatever claim I make is true until shown otherwise
>the best I can do to "prove" it's canon is present a fan theory about a character whose cameos in other games follows the same behavior as spells, items, and summons that also show up between games
>fan speculation is canon until a dev explicitly debunks it
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.