[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game isn't as bad as people say it is. Discuss
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
File: 2361833-nes_hydlide.jpg (2 MB, 1533x2100) Image search: [Google]
2361833-nes_hydlide.jpg
2 MB, 1533x2100
This game isn't as bad as people say it is.

Discuss
>>
File: Craffta.jpg (7 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
Craffta.jpg
7 KB, 320x180
Inspector Gadget is watching this thread.
>>
NES version sucks, Windows version is where it's at.
>>
>>2817939

it's not one of the worst games ever (or even one of worst on NES), but it's a deeply flawed game. different music and some polishing of the mechanics and it could have been a real solid game.
>>
File: hydlide.gif (25 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
hydlide.gif
25 KB, 640x400
I enjoyed it, at least the X1 port. The Famicom version seemed pretty bad. I can understand if Americans didn't like it when they got the same shit four years later.
>>
File: bQMiw.png (197 KB, 542x359) Image search: [Google]
bQMiw.png
197 KB, 542x359
>>2817951
>>
File: Virtual_Hydlide_Box_Art.jpg (90 KB, 355x600) Image search: [Google]
Virtual_Hydlide_Box_Art.jpg
90 KB, 355x600
I think they made this series as a joke
>>
>>2818065
No, but Virtual Hydlide was evidence that T&E Soft was resting on its laurels (they mostly produced golf games at that point). In a recent interview with series creator Tokihiro Naito (Untold History of Japanese Game Developers Vol. 2), he mentions that another programmer took his place on VH, with Naito directing but not changing too much (aside from randomly-generated overworlds, lol).

The 1984 original was great for its era, though it couldn't keep up with Falcom's Xanadu and then OG Legend of Zelda on consoles.
>>
>>2818074
>>2818065
Wasn't Vyrtual Hydlide just one of many failed attempts to bring a franchise into 3D?
>>
>>2818065
Virtua Hydlide is genius, there's something zen about the experience. It's the Saturn's Dark Souls.
>>
>>2818084
First and only. Hydlide 3 aimed for realism (sleep cycle, inventory/equipment weight, &c.), but not over-the-shoulder exploration of a polygonal 3D world. I've seen Japanese fan mock-ups of what a new 3D Hydlide could look like, but nothing serious.
>>
>>2818104
I meant for franchises in general, not just Hydlide.
>>
>>2818108
Well Sony blunt out refused to publish anything that wasn't 3D at the time. It was either go 3D or go home.
>>
>>2818094
I wouldn't go this far but I like Virtual Hydlide better than NES Hydlide. I can sort of see the comparison but it's nowhere near as good as Souls. It's more FUN than King's Field though.
>>
>>2818127
Sony blunt out refused to publish anything that wasn't 3D at the time
dude wat
>>
>>2818138
I think he meant "flat". Maybe it's some slang I've never heard before.
>>
>>2817939
It's a pretty average computer game (not bad by any means, just competent) that was ported to the Famicom Disk System, then it was ported to the NES and nobody wanted to spend money on giving it a battery for proper saving so it was given a really clunky password system that basically neccessitates you have a legal-pad and a pen and that you don't make any mistakes.

The NES port is generally seen as kind of poor, you'll probably enjoy it much more with save states on an emulator.
Though at that stage you might as well get the PC version.
>>
>>2818170
Okay. Still though it's both inaccurate and off-topic.
>>
File: Hydlide 2.png (61 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
Hydlide 2.png
61 KB, 640x400
How do I get into Hydlide 2? I find the game fairly overwhelming compared to 1.
>>
The original Hydlide on the PC-88 was great I though.

Never played the NES version.
>>
>>2819001
You can try, but it's more of a half-assed expansion to the original vs. 3. I'd do the latter or skip ahead to Rune Worth (which has a partial MSX2 translation).
>>
File: hydlide 3.png (27 KB, 824x580) Image search: [Google]
hydlide 3.png
27 KB, 824x580
>>2819014
What's the best version of 3?
I'm inclined toward the x68k but I'm having trouble starting. It refuses to accept any User disk. I tried both images I have as well as different blanks and it tells me that either it's not a User disk or that the disk is irregular.
>>
>>2818065
If there's one thing I hate the most in life it's a game with really cool ideas but god awful execution.
>>
I didn't even know Hydlide was hated. Did a YouTuber make a video about it?
>>
>>2817939
Love Super Hydlide
>>
>>2819136
AVGN once made a video of the NES version, which in all fairness is a very substandard port.
>>
>>2819136
Hydlide was getting hate in America before Youtube was even a thing. I remember EGM giving the game something around a 4 out of 10.
>>
The original failed port.
>>
>>2819824
>I remember EGM giving the game something around a 4 out of 10.

it got two 5's and two 6's from EGM. although one of the reviewers who gave it a 6 said he didn't remember playing it
>>
>>2819824
>Hydlide was getting hate in America before Youtube was even a thing.
Yeah but you know that you can't shit on a bad port or outright bad game anymore if a big name on youtube has talked about it, because that means you're just parroting e-celebs.
No, but seriously, contrarian hipsters will genuinely argue this even if a game was widely regarded as bad before the advent of online video services, there's people who will legit insist that Dragon's Lair for the NES wasn't actually dogshit because that's just a notion the AVGN put in people's head, nevermind the fact that it was disliked in it's time and is objectively an abysmal cash -in on the popularity of the original Don Bluth animated arcade adventure.
Yes, he isn't infallible (I disagree with him a lot), and he admits to exaggerating or shitting on games he actually doesn't hate, purely for comedic value, but many of the games he calls shit, are legit awful and was viewed as such even in their day.

>>2819827
This, Hydlide on the NES is a textbook example of a bad console port. It actually does the original game a terrible injustice.

>>2819216
Haven't played that one, how does it compare to the others?
>>
>>2817961
Where do you get the Windows version?
I only found a translation patch.
>>
>>2817939
i won prize money when i was 6 and my folks let me buy a game with it. i bought this one. probably played it for an hour before i realized it was shit.
>>
>>2820397
You mean the NES version?
>>
>>2821363
>You mean the one in the picture you're replying to
No
>>
>>2821368
Ah, hold on, thought OP had posted the original PC one.
>>
>>2820197
The fact is that AVGN is a character completely separate from James Rolfe, people fail to realize that.
>>
>>2817939
No game is as bad as people say it is.
>>
I really like Super Hydlde/Hydlide 3.
Not a fan of the huge fan of Virtual or the first two though.
>>
File: 79856-hydlide-msx-front-cover.jpg (140 KB, 800x1120) Image search: [Google]
79856-hydlide-msx-front-cover.jpg
140 KB, 800x1120
>>2821574
With the all the American Nintendo stuff at the bottom?
Can't find a picture of the PC-88 original so MSX will have to do.
>>
won it. was ok. Hardly ever touched a zelda game though. But they seem cool. Just wasn't any in the store I rented from. It's on my list.
>>
>>2819119
Better than the opposite which is most games today
>>
>>2818094
it could be good if it had a better framerate. as it is it's horrible
>>
>>2820197
MD/Gen version is the best. Cool system where you have to eat and sleep on a regular basis to maintain your vitality.
Exploring is fun as well, I love how cryptic some of the hints are.
Also day and night cycle, with stronger enemies emerging at night.
>>
>>2824668
>Cool system where you have to eat and sleep on a regular basis to maintain your vitality.
I can do without that.
>>
>>2819136
LOL? Hydlide was one of my first NES games as a kid, it sucked then and it sucks now. If anything, people only defend it because they read on the intarwebz that (the original version) was "historically important" and it superficially resembles Legend of Zelda.
>>
>>2826840
>people only defend it because they read on the intarwebz that (the original version) was "historically important"
Well the PC title isn't as bad as the NES port. That doesn't mean it's great, just that it isn't outright terrible, it's competent.
>>
>>2827301
I wouldn't really call it competent. It's experimental like many RPGs and other games of the time.
This doesn't mean they can't have a naive charm or be fun to play.
>>
File: 566406563.png (652 KB, 490x653) Image search: [Google]
566406563.png
652 KB, 490x653
I love me some Hydlide. The only bad thing about the NES version of Super is the bloody music.

I'd like to find a scan of the Mega Drive/Genesis Hydlide 3 manual, either English or Japanese is cool. It has thus far eluded me...
>>
>>2817939
yes it is.
>>
>>2830074
No it isn't.
>>
>>2817939
Without Hydlide, both Zelda and every action RPG game would have never happened.
>>
>>2832267
Dragon Slayer came out two months before Hydlide.
Druaga should also be mentioned as well as Adventure even when they don't fully qualify as RPGs. Ultimately you could even include games like DnD/Telengard which included a limited timeframe for actions.

Did Hydlide help propagate slimes as entry level enemies before DQ? Wizardry also had them but they were just one of a dozen possible foes while in Hydlide their your main prey.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.