[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was your favorite gaming mag? For me, it was Game Players.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 17
File: gpmag.jpg (95 KB, 500x677) Image search: [Google]
gpmag.jpg
95 KB, 500x677
What was your favorite gaming mag?

For me, it was Game Players.
I loved those people, Bill Donohue was my idol back then.
>>
>>2816786

8 bit era it was Nintendo Power.

during the 16bit era EGM was my favorite.. I was a loser in school so getting my EGM in the mailbox was easily the highlight of my month. Game Players was really great during this era too. remember having the issue in OP.
>>
8bit GamePro
16bit EGM and GameFan
32bit GameFan and Next Generation
64bit R.I.P
>>
Fun Club News -> Nintendo Power + Sega Visions -> EGM -> Internet
>>
Nintendo Power, followed closely by Game Players and Next Generation.

NP used to have a very clean and easy to read layout, full color screenshot maps for games, and the occasional article about tech. Game Players was funny to young me. Next Generation had some of the best articles about tech and interviews with people in the field.
>>
I feel sad that kids today will never know the joy of getting the phone-book thick issues of EGM right around Christmas
>>
>>2816786
EGM was always my favorite until they got killed off and resurrected a few years back. Not that I think there's a drop in quality since then it's just their death was probably the final thing that made me stray away from gaming mags for good in favor of the internet.
>>
File: psm wipeout.jpg (127 KB, 407x540) Image search: [Google]
psm wipeout.jpg
127 KB, 407x540
I always liked PSM
>>
My older brother would get EGM and GamePro during the 8 and 16bit generations and I liked EGM the better of the two.
Game Informer was great during the PS1/N64 era.

It was really disappointing when all the magazines started taking themselves so seriously at the turn of the century. Who ever had the bright idea of turning game mags into GQ looking rags should be shot.
>>
I liked Game Informer from back before Gamestop bought Funcoland. They stayed cool for a bit afterwards, but then they became shit. I can't believe Andy let himself still be with the mag after how far it's fallen.

Also liked the charm of the personas in Gamepro, but I never liked how it felt like it lacked editorial cohesiveness.
>>
>>2817015
PSM was mine too.

>Dad comes home from work with a magazine for me
>Have no idea what kind of magazine I could possibly be interested in, never heard of gaming magazines
>He hands me the PSM issue where they first talk about the PS2

Great memories. Loved all the members of PSM, especially Bill.
>>
Official Sega Saturn Magazine UK was the shit. Managed to be unbiased despite being official, and managed to get the news before their competitors. They were funny as hell and genuinely passionate about games too.

Super Play was another really good one. I read N64 Magazine every month despite having no interest in the N64 simply because it was the follow up to Super Play and I love those writers and that style so much.
>>
File: FLUX.png (84 KB, 167x225) Image search: [Google]
FLUX.png
84 KB, 167x225
my mom took away my FLUX magazine cause she saw me drawing nippals on the female boob's therein lol :D
>>
>>2816786
Nintendo Power, Gamepro and PSM.

Bill Donahue was great in PSM.
>>
>>2817015
PSM was great
>>
>>2816965
First time, long time. That was the best feeling in the world.

Nostalgia.
>>
>>2817015
>that issue where they had a guide for thrill kill.
>game got cancelled
>>
When I was about 13 I wrote a letter to OPM in response to their question "Which final fantasy babel is hottest?" They chose to post my cringe-worthy response. My email was hammered with responses from pissed off nerds.
>>
>>2817015
PSM was the shit
Best import section of any magazine at the time
>>
>>2817015
Anyone knows where i can find scans of this magazine? Ive only been able to find a few issues on emuparadise.
>>
>>2817991
Tips and tricks also had a great import section. They also has great coverage of the street fighter tourney scene thanks to Tyrone Rodriguez.
>>
>>2817391
I liked GamePro's score system but always found them to be way too forgiving. Still it's a shame no other reviewers really bothered to pick up rating stuff like sound, graphics, and gameplay instead of just rating the game as a whole.
>>
>>2818030
>>2817991

Gamefan where pretty big weebs at the time too so they covered a lot of import stuff.
>>
>>2816786
Hi Bill Donohue. Stop sucking your own cock.
>>
>>2818146
Wait. One of the PSM guys here. It didn't click in that OP was referring to a Bill Donohue too. Is it the same one from PSM? I never knew he was a part of any other magazine. Couldn't really find much info on any of the PSM guys when I checked, aside from finding out the old head guy from PSM was actually a huge nintendo fan.
>>
>>2817015
PSM was junk, but it had cool covers.
>>
>>2817991
You obviously never read Gamefan.
>>
I always liked Tips and Tricks to see cool screenshots of games I didn't have and the pencil puzzles.
>>
>>2818030
Loved seeing Armored Core builds they would feature in the back if memory serves me right.
>>
>>2818243
Yup. He started at GP through most of the 90's, then went to PSM after the magazine shut down. Chris Slate also started with GP, and went on to Nintendo Power.

I as only allowed one sub back in the day, and I really feel like i've missed out on some great mags. Never got to read EGM for example.
>>
>>2818921
I would love to find out what happened to all the PSM guys. I grew up buying every issue that came out because the reviews were fair, and they were all hilarious. At least, that's how I remember it. I loved the little comics they'd make out of game screenshots.
>>
Sega Visions. Have every issue
>>
File: pcxl.jpg (180 KB, 500x696) Image search: [Google]
pcxl.jpg
180 KB, 500x696
Had a PCGamer subscribtion for like 9 years
kept everyone of those magazines
gave them to my cousin
he tried to sell them to get crack

even with that
pic related was always a good read.
>>
File: pelit.jpg (3 MB, 1280x5400) Image search: [Google]
pelit.jpg
3 MB, 1280x5400
Pelit, a Finnish vidya magazine that originally was pretty much just about computer games, but later on they started to do console stuff as well. My older brother was a subscriber. This magazine is still around, but I haven't read a single issue for years now.
I really liked their sense of humor, the reviewers were clearly vidya nerds themselves back when nerd actually meant nerd.
>>
>>2816786
Die Hard Gamefan
Early Nintendo Power
>>
I had a subscription to Nintendo Power starting from 1990, to 1998, it was the comfiest mag ever. I also basically had every EGM from 91 to basically its end, best vg magazine imo, solid reviews and tons of content. Gamepros I had too, tho i found it kinda lame in some ways. In the mid nineties, Game Players had such a twisted sense of humour, I loved it. Next Generation seemed very sophisticated and mature when I started reading it in 96. Tips and Tricks I loved for the weaboo shit and the easy to reference cheats of course. Also egm2, PSM, and Wild Cartoon Kingdom
>>
File: SuperPlay1b.jpg (61 KB, 305x400) Image search: [Google]
SuperPlay1b.jpg
61 KB, 305x400
i loved brit mag superplay
it got me into jrpgs anime and video games in general. it will always hold a place in my heart
>>
File: Club Nintendo .jpg (25 KB, 143x200) Image search: [Google]
Club Nintendo .jpg
25 KB, 143x200
Club Nintendo magazine (latin america).

Had good layout design, lots of good quality art, good writing, and although it was mostly Nintendo-related for obvious reasons it included non-Nintendo articles, especially "El control de los profesionales" which was a section about how games were developed, they'd talk about anything, from binary code to how mirrored sprites worked, all in a reasonably approachable way so that it wasn't too complex or boring to read.
It also had articles about arcade games, even if they never got Nintendo ports. That's how I first read about the Vampire/Darkstalkers series.
>>
File: segastaurn.jpg (447 KB, 2048x1158) Image search: [Google]
segastaurn.jpg
447 KB, 2048x1158
>>2817582
loved this beast
>>
>>2818298
you sir are obviously a faggot(for not liking the swimsuit issues) and an dickhead(for not liking bill)
>>
File: Amiga_Joker_Face.jpg (102 KB, 400x371) Image search: [Google]
Amiga_Joker_Face.jpg
102 KB, 400x371
>>2816786
>>
Nearly forgot, Electronic Entertainment back in the 90's before it turned into PC Entertainment was a good mag. Had articles from Nolan Bushnell, lots of good detailed reviews and columns.
>>
File: Super Play 2 - 014.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2515) Image search: [Google]
Super Play 2 - 014.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2515
Super Play for me.
>>
File: Super Play 2 - 015.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2515) Image search: [Google]
Super Play 2 - 015.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2515
>>2822924
>>
File: Super Play 2 - 016.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2515) Image search: [Google]
Super Play 2 - 016.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2515
>>2822930
>>
File: Super Play 2 - 017.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2515) Image search: [Google]
Super Play 2 - 017.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2515
>>2822932
>>
For me it was EGM, Tips and Tricks, PSM, and Game Informer. All of them on equal footing.

I can't remember which magazine did this, but one of them did a "Girls of Summer" issue back in 1999 or 2000 and it had various game girls in bikinis and other revealing wear. The one I remember most in that issue was Regina from Dino Crisis.

Anybody know which magazine that was and which issue it was?
>>
The only gaming mag I ever got into was GameNOW. It was called EGM2 before that.

It lasted 20 issues. ;-;
>>
>>2823214
It was definitely PSM, I owned that particular issue. Don't remember the number though.
>>
>>2823226
This may be stupid of me to ask, but do you still have that issue? (Probably not, but still worth an ask)
>>
File: swimsuit.jpg (235 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
swimsuit.jpg
235 KB, 1024x768
>>2823292

I used to have a collection of all the pics but lost it when my old computers died and had since forgotten where I downloaded it.
>>
>>2816786

For me it would be EGM2/ExpertGamer.

EGM was great as well. Especially in the mid 90s when issues got phone book thick near the holiday season.

PSM was great, and Game Players/Ultra Game Players was great.

OPM was pretty cool given the demos, and the reviews on other things outside of gaming. Like DVDs and music that tied into games.

I also loved going down to the bookstore and buying British import gaming magazines. They use to be so fucking huge in terms of size no really in terms of pages though.
>>
>>2817991

EGM2 had a lot of import stuff, and was sort of designed with the import scene in mind. Then when it became Expert Gamer the import stuff fell off until the end when Andy Baran brought it back with Phil.
>>
>>2819247
This had a localized version in Chile at least. By 2000, we started to get the mexican version. The quality went to shit in my opinion.
>>
File: check it out.gif (34 KB, 406x378) Image search: [Google]
check it out.gif
34 KB, 406x378
EGM, Tips & Tricks, and Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine

Demo discs baybeeeeee
>>
Nintendo Power, when it still had Epic Center.
>>
>>2823214
Does anyone remember the magazine that was just pictures of girls from video games topless? It was connected to play magazine or something

... holy crap, they made 7 issues of it
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.