[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anyone here beat this? I'm finding it hard as fuck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: SMB2title[1].gif (87 KB, 549x480) Image search: [Google]
SMB2title[1].gif
87 KB, 549x480
anyone here beat this? I'm finding it hard as fuck
>>
>>2816579
I did.

It's hard as fuck.
>>
Good discussion gentleman
>>
>>2816585
any tips? was it mostly memorization eventually? I'm pretty good at platformers generally, the first mario is a breeze, so is stuff like donkey kong country
>>
>>2816592
Memorization is all it is. And patience. I think I died in this game as much as I did in Dark Souls.
Later in the game, I would game over intentionally if I lost a life on the first level of a world.
>>
>>2816624
Why not just hit reset? More fun?
>>
>>2816627
Wouldn't that reset the entire game? When you game over you continue at the start of the world you were on.
>>
The difficulty in Lost Levels is so hyped. Granted it isn't an easy game, but I wouldn't say it's noticeably harder than most of the nes library either.
>>
>>2816649
To be fair a lot of the NES library is unplayable to the average person. Out of all the well known "classic" NES games the hardest are probably Zelda 2, Metroid and the first/third Megaman games. I'd say Lost Levels is harder than any of those.

I've only gotten to world 8 myself.

As for tips for the OP, hit as many bricks as you can. Most power ups, especially later on, are hidden in average brick blocks rather than ?-blocks. It doesn't make the platforming any easier but it can save you from jumping into a plant or getting past a hammer bros.

Also fuck hammer bros in this game. Fuckers are even worse than in the first Mario bros.
>>
>>2816635
...Really? I was under the impression that getting a game over means you have to restart the entire game.
>>
>>2816579
this was my second nes game I ever played in my life. I started playing nes now with 24. naturally i hated nes. now that i have played much more enjoyable and better games than lost levels i really appreciate and like the nes. i wouldn't say love, but i definitely like the nes and it has really grown on me, since my traumatic experience with this game.
>>
>>2816670
It would be unplayable otherwise.
>>
>>2816592

I usually play through this game like once a year. I know it sounds suicidal but I recommend going as fast as possible. For some reason it's always helped me (except for a few lvls) and it's alot funner.
>>
>>2816661
>To be fair a lot of the NES library is unplayable to the average person.

I think the opposite is true, a lot of NES games were casual as fuck, especially the first levels of the game. After that it became hard mode.
>>
>>2816716
I... What? So does it restart you at the world you were playing or not?
>>
>>2816734
Yes, get a game over and you start at the beginning of the world you were playing.

How would limited continues be more playable than unlimited?
>>
>>2816752
Right, that's what I thought.

None, "in the grand scheme of things".
>>
>>2816752
>>2816760
I mean. "Not right". When has a game over meant not ending the game entirely?
>>
>>2816661

Lost Levels is definitely hard af, but doable.

I've beaten it in it's entirety but it took lots of time and anger. Once you beat world 8, you get world 9 which is hard as balls.
Then you get worlds A-D which also all have 4 levels a piece.
>>
>>2816734
>So does it restart you at the world you were playing or not?
Only in All-Stars
>>
>>2816762
Any game with a continue screen, bruv. Game over means you lost the game but the continue screen usually appears after the game over screen. I guess that's the game telling you 'you may continue, but you're still a loser for not doing it all in one go'.
>>
>>2817120
Ah, I totally forgot about continues. That explains it.
>>
>>2816579
Beat all stars version but I heard the original jp version is a bit more difficult. Is this correct?
>>
Slightly off-topic, but does anyone else feel guilty using warps/continue in SMB?
>>
>>2818117

Nope.
>>
>>2818082
fuck sake, just google it
>>
>>2816579
Super Mario USA is a better game
>>
>>2817001
You can continue from the same world in the original as well. Just played through it a few months ago.

You might be thinking of the first SMB which doesn't let you continue. It's the one thing about the original that's less forgiving than lost levels.

>>2818082
In the original you can only unlock world 9 if you don't use any warps and worlds A-D if you beat the game 8 times. You don't get any continues for worlds 9-D, and there is no save system.

I'd say all of that makes it harder, but not really in a fun way. If you played through Allstars then you're fine.
>>
>>2816579
Yes, but I cheated like the bastard that I am.
>>
>>2816635
>>2816670
You can select "continue" or "retry" on the game over screen.
>>2818339
>You might be thinking of the first SMB which doesn't let you continue.
A+start, my man.
>>
>>2816585
I seriously don't think you beat the WHOLE game. Also cleared until world D? Yes, D.
>>
I'm tempted to buy it on the VC but having to complete the game 8 times to get the last 4 worlds might be a bit too much for me.
Can you use Warp pipes and still have it count even though you didn't do World 9?
>>
>>2819080
it's the same thing as world 5 except you're swimming in the air
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.