[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NTSC-J vs NTSC-UC color
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: 400px-NTSC-PAL-SECAM.svg.png (35 KB, 400x203) Image search: [Google]
400px-NTSC-PAL-SECAM.svg.png
35 KB, 400x203
I've heard that NTSC-J has different black levels than NTSC-UC. Is this true?

Maybe it is only for composite video and S video or higher is the same.

I know that NTSC has color differences from PAL but I think that's only for composite.
>>
>>2816001
>I've heard that NTSC-J has different black levels than NTSC-UC

No because NTSC is the exact same everywhere, what you're referring to are region codes for PlayStation games.

>but I think that's only for composite

And S-Video, because it's still being color encoded into NTSC/PAL.

RGB is not NTSC/PAL, so it always looks the same depending on your set and it's also the clearest option.
>>
there is only one ntsc colour standard. if you are worried that you are missing something, get an oled or led with rec. 2020 colour space which covers the ntsc colour space correctly by 99,98%.
>>
They did calibrate for 0 IRE vs our 7.5. Probably why games started including color bars in the 32 bit era.
>>
>>2816058
Does that mean I have to adjust the picture on the TV when I turn off my north american console and turn on my japanese import console?
>>
>>2816184
No, if you play a game designed with 0 IRE in mind and your TV isn't set to that, you'll just get crushed blacks. The picture will just be too dark.
>>
>>2816218
Does this mean that games played on Japanese import consoles will be too dark?

Or that Japanese region games played on a console of any region will be too dark?

And you cannot fix this by adjusting the TV?
>>
>>2816380
I calibrated my CRT using an NTSC-U Wii with 240p test suite for 7.5 IRE.

Using an NTSC-U N64 with the NTSC-U and NTSC-J 1.1 Ocarina of Time carts, there are no differences I can spot. It must be console wide, unless the N64 doesn't follow that rule. Or I might just be blind....
>>
A couple sites I found about IRE

http://www.glennchan.info/articles/technical/setup/75IREsetup.html

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/114994-black-level-75-ire-0-ire/
>>
>>2816001
Japan TVs have a slight bluer tint to them. Hence why some DVD or Blu-ray releases of the Studio Ghibli films like Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Spirited Away and From Up on Poppy Hill have a slight red tint which was probably fixed on some reissues or international releases.
>>
File: vlcsnap-00022.png (687 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-00022.png
687 KB, 720x540
>>2816763
I guess that explains why the Dragon Boxes have that weird pinkish hue to them.
>>
>>2816779
No, that's because the actual master film colours deteriorated with time and there was no attempt at correcting the footage. I recon you could just switch the hue around and it'd look loads better.
>>
>>2816784
But that doesn't explain why more recent digital movies like Spirited Away (2001) and From Up on Poppy Hill (2011). And the red tint on Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was fixed on the Japanese Hayao Miyazaki box set. Spirited Away was also fixed for the US DVD and the Blu-ray version.
>>
>>2816789
Your argument falls flat the moment you take "Japan TVs" in consideration, as if you're implying both Japanese CRTs and LCDs have arbitrarily bluer tints to them (unless you're talking about color tones but those are digital enhancements) for whatever reason. You also have to take in account Blu-ray having no color encoding of any kind other than H264's.

Also, as you noted, FUPH (I don't know about Spirited Away, could swear it was still traditional animation) is a wholly digital movie so there's not any film to scan, subject to various environmental sensitivities. Not to say they might have applied a reddish tint to some movies for whatever reasons, but I don't think that's the case with DBZ, because the Dragon Boxes were scanned in the US from the original Japanese films.
>>
File: bd9v.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bd9v.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>2816806
>but I don't think that's the case with DBZ, because the Dragon Boxes were scanned in the US from the original Japanese films.

The Dragon Boxes were a complete remaster done by Toei themselves and were Japan-only for nearly a decade until Funimation finally decided to bring them over here and besides adding subtitles, nothing to the video was altered.

In contrast to Funi's own remaster effort which has much, much better color correction (Too lazy to plug in my blu ray drive to get an exact comparison shot, but you can see the difference either way. It just sucks that this remaster only lasted 40 odd episodes before they just decided it wasn't worth the effort and for the rest of the show threw a shitty filter over their cropped older master and call it a day.
>>
>>2816819
No, I can assure you Funimation personally rescanned the masters from Toei instead of just TOEI handing the footage over, and they weren't cheap to loan. As far as I know Funi's own remaster reuses the footage they got for the Dragon Boxes. They just didn't want to spend resources into color correction during the DVD release, or maybe they didn't want to mess with it, I don't know.
>>
>>2816763
Yeah, the west calibrates white point at 6500k and Japan does, I think, 5000k
>>
>>2816945
>Japan does, I think, 5000k
9300k, at least for broadcast specifications.

5000k is going in the direction of yellow/red.
>>
>>2816009
SCART is the clearest and best option, actually.
>>
>>2816009
>are region codes for PlayStation games.
The Xbox and GameCube games used those labels, as did some Saturn and Dreamcast products.
>>
So how does this IRE black level thingy affect emulation?

Will a Japanese ROM be lighter or darker than an American ROM?
Or is it something you adjust in the emulator settings menu?
Does it make any difference if your monitor is CRT or LCD?
>>
>>2818821
It's all in the actual hardware output itself. It doesn't mean anything unless you have an actual out-of-region system.
>>
>>2816218
Is it possible to adjust the TV to accept 0 IRE without crushed blacks?
>>
>>2816058
>color bars
Games with color bars? I never saw anything like that. Do you know any PS1 or PS2 games that have color bars?
>>
>>2819559
Resident Evil for one. MGS has grey bars.
>>
>>2818837
So let's say I have an American NES connected to my TV. Screen is calibrated and looks good.

I turn it off and connect a Japanese PC Engine Duo to my TV. Will the picture be darker with crushed blacks?
>>
>>2821004
Likely if they made it with 0 IRE TVs in mind. Just turn the brightness up if it bothers you.
>>
Does using SCART RGB bypass the IRE darkness problem?

What about if you use a RGB to component transcoder?
>>
>>2822036
Man, stop wracking your brain about it. Just play the games.
>>
>>2822046
I'm meeting someone in a week to buy a Japanese super famicom. I need to know all the details so I can decide whether I should cancel and get an American SNES.
>>
>>2816001
their blacks are lower, but their yellows are through the roof!
>>
So how much does a 7.5 IRE difference affect the games?

Will I miss items hidden in dark corners?
>>
If you increase the brightness setting on the TV to uncrush the blacks from using NTSC-J console on a NTSC-UC TV will you lose dynamic range or will it be fixed good?
>>
>>2822191
This. It's because way back when they wanted skin tones to look more Asian, even on non-Asians and then when they started producing their own material they also adjusted their cameras. It's why Asians in Asian movies look white and Caucasians look pink.
>>
>>2823548
TURN THE BRIGHTNESS UP
>>
Do NTSC-J consoles have different hue as well as different brightness?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.