[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /vr/, what are some games where after you "beat"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: gscmap_zpsa75115bc.jpg (31 KB, 456x190) Image search: [Google]
gscmap_zpsa75115bc.jpg
31 KB, 456x190
Hi /vr/, what are some games where after you "beat" the game, you can keep playing and there's new side quests, maybe a new overall goal, and some of the characters might address that you've completed the main goal of the game. Not just NG+ or going back and finding all the collectibles, like new challenges/quests open up.

The Pokemon games usually do this. In Gen 1, only Mewtwo's cave opened up, but in Gen 2 you had the entire world from the first game with its own sub-quests. The newer games have a lot of stuff, too.
>>
Lunar 2's epilogue.

Gold and silver only fit in Kanto because they went back and optimized the code so well that they could afford to. It wasn't planned supposedly.
>>
>>2814883
Didn't know that. Why'd they'd bother going back to optimize the code? I guess they wanted to improve upon it in Silver/Gold.
>>
Megaman battle network 3
>>
File: Iwata.png (696 KB, 983x1303) Image search: [Google]
Iwata.png
696 KB, 983x1303
>>2814917
>During the development of Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver, developer Game Freak was experiencing quite a bit of trouble fitting everything they wanted to do with the Johto region onto the rather small Game Boy cartridge. Time was winding down on the aging hardware and cramming the new generation of Pokémon, by then already one of the biggest names in gaming, in such a small space was a challenge for the studio. Upon hearing about this, Iwata aided Game Freak by compressing the game to a fraction of its original size. This allowed the developers to not only finish the highly-anticipated new Johto region, but also fit the entirety of Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow’s Kanto region into the game. Thanks to Iwata’s programming ability, he effectively doubled the size of what many still consider to be the best game in the series.
>>
>>2815010
>Upon hearing about this, Iwata aided Game Freak by compressing the game to a fraction of its original size.

I'm curious how he did it.
>>
If I remember correctly, the original Shining Force does this. It's been forever though
>>
Well he's dead now so we'll never know.

Okay no, to be serious for a moment, Game Freak wasn't run by experienced devs and their programming skills were probably pretty shit. The final games were notorious for having many huge bugs, even if they got the job done. Chances are Iwata, having plenty of actual professional experience, caught many of the problems and poor optimizations that were made and just optimized it properly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satoru_Iwata#Early_life

He'd been doing that stuff forever and Pokemon devs were probably worse off than a modern indie dev is today as far as knowledge goes. Programming stuff is also typically in English which isn't going to make things any easier for a bunch of kids and young adults over there, so Japanese people are often behind in that sense by a little bit.
>>
>>2815015

Game Freak weren't exactly the masters of programming. Their code was probably extremely unoptimized and full of redundancies.
>>
>>2815037

I probably should have finished reading the thread before replying back this guy already said exactly what I did, only better.
>>
>>2815015
Iwata was a crazy good programmer. He programmed the combat system for Pokemon Stadium in less than a week only by analyzing the source code for the original games.
>>
>>2815015
maybe like javascript for example, but i don't think this would make a big difference in terms of size for game code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minification_(programming)
>>
>>2815368
Compressing in >>2815015's context doesn't mean data compression but literal compression, making things smaller without necessarily losing functionality. The correct word would in fact be "optimising".
Minification has nothing to do with this.
>>
>>2815385
literal compression? you mean like no safari zone or lavendel tower?
>>
File: Goe1406164454071.gif (998 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
Goe1406164454071.gif
998 KB, 500x329
After you beat the final boss in Goemon's Great Adventure, you can go to a sorta hidden spot in one of the levels, and you have to wait until dawn in there. A sort of ghost bus will pick you up and you will be taken to the Creep Village, inhabited by the tengu.
It doesn't add any new actual stages as far as I remember, but creep village is fairly large with tons of people to talk to and also you will be able to take new quests on past levels.
>>
>>2815792

I remember waiting for ages at that bus station.. Then I discovered that you had to beat the game before
>>
>>2815015
>I'm curious how he did it.
He sacrificed some of his vitality to do so.
>>
>>2815015
Iwata was an extremely good programmer and Gamefreak is known for being extremely incompetent at programming.
>>
>>2815785
It means stuff is stored in a way it has to be decompressed before being analyzed by the game. There are different kinds of compression algorithms for many different uses.
>>
>>2815886
>>2815092
Kind of amazing they've lasted this long, then.
>>
>>2815902
ah ok. thanks buddy
>>
>>2815936
Quality programming doesn't correlate with a game's success. Contrast Sentinel or Driller for the ZX Spectrum and whatever Bethesda is doing today.
>>
>>2815936

Their games were still good, even if there were a lot of bugs. Plus, they obviously improved over time.
>>
>>2814876
My friend was "that kid" that always lied about vidya. He tried to tell me you could go to Kanto but I didn't believe him. When that fat guy talked to me on the other side of New Bark I was so excited. I miss when video games could make me feel like that.
>>
>>2816103
Let's be fair, the sheer amount of shit going on per -second- in a modern game probably involves more line of code than a sizable chunk of that generation.
>>
>>2816205
The point was optimization. Geoff Crammond managed to cram realtime 3D graphics and 9999 levels into a sub-100kB game for a cheap line of 80s computers. Meanwhile FO4 struggles to run on modern computers despite having 2006 tier audiovisuals. This from a company which has been legendary for horribly buggy games for almost two decades now.
>>
>>2815015
As good as Iwata is, he didn't do EVERYTHING from scratch. He cleaned up a lot of code and used compression designed by Claude Comair and used in Bionic Commando.
>>
>>2816208
>Geoff Crammond managed to cram

Heh
>>
>>2815936
>>2816151
>>2816103

What people seem to forget also is that game studios have very, very few lifetime members.

The guys who programmed RBY are not even remotely the same guys who made the latest ones.
>>
>>2817292
>>2816208
I find this shit weirdly fascinating to read about.
>>
>>2817990
You better wise up, Janet Weiss.
>>
File: tears.gif (4 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
tears.gif
4 MB, 400x225
>>2815010
>Find out the Iwata dude I always thought was pretty cool for a CEO/suit aided my favorite pokemon game in a huge way, probably saved it
>And now he's gone

Alright
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.