[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beat-em-up General: Hitboxes Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 39
File: 0000.png (20 KB, 384x224) Image search: [Google]
0000.png
20 KB, 384x224
Feel free to talk about anything related to beat-em-ups, but here are a few topics to get things started.

- - - - - - - - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb8hhKfQTo4

>Cadillacs and Dinosaurs 1cc using Jack
>hardest difficulty
>no healing
>no weapons
>no megacrashes!
>no deaths

Jack is an underrated character, superior to Hannah in everything that matters.

- - - - - - - - - -

Power Rangers (SNES) came out after Ninja Warriors Again (SNES) and is something of a spiritual successor, both being made by Natsume and having similar gameplay, but why is Power Rangers such a massive downgrade?

- - - - - - - - - -

Best beat-em-up weapon of all time? Some examples...

a) Runark/Growl: whip
b) SOR2: Max using pipe/sword
c) Return of Double Dragon: nunchucks
d) Cadillacs & Dinosaurs: shotgun
e) D&D2: Sword of Legend

- - - - - - - - - -

What's your best 3 arcade beat-em-ups of all time

>Final Fight
>Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
>Guardians

- - - - - - - - - -

What's your best 3 console beat-em-ups of all time

>Streets of Rage 2 (Hardest mode)
>Ninja Warriors Again (Hard mode)
>Kung Fu (Game B)

- - - - - - - - -

Beat-em-up guilty pleasures (dumb but fun games)

>Runark
>Die Hard Arcade
>>
File: 0002.png (26 KB, 384x224) Image search: [Google]
0002.png
26 KB, 384x224
Best move ever?
>>
We have pretty similar tastes.Final Fight and Guardians are among my favorites, third is probably Warriors of Fate. I agree with SoR2 and Ninja Warriors Again too.

I have been playing Alien vs Predator recently, i'm pretty bad at it but i like it, i get a lot of random hits from nowhere though, enemies have tons of priority too.
>>
>>2814783
>Jack is an underrated character, superior to Hannah in everything that matters.
I thought Hannah was shit tier. What does her "item skilled" perk even do?
>>
>>2814856
watch the agdq run, lots of good tricks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hx3qldaCSM
inb4 e-celeb bitching
>>
Anyone have the hitboxes on Haggar's body splash in the original Final Fight?
>>
>>2814794
what does he say when he finishes a combo?
>bully-bully-ya!
>>
File: Old Photo.png (110 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
Old Photo.png
110 KB, 480x320
>>2814783
>Power Rangers (SNES) came out after Ninja Warriors Again (SNES) and is something of a spiritual successor, both being made by Natsume and having similar gameplay, but why is Power Rangers such a massive downgrade?
Probably because of the source material. I doubt they had much creative liberty in a show about palette-swapped spandex heroes. It's a shame they didn't at least gave the female rangers different sprites.

>Best beat-'em-up weapon
The baseball from Double Dragon

>Best 3 arcade beat-'em-ups
The Punisher
Violent Storm
Undercover Cops (Japan/Alpha Renewal version)
Gaiapolis also deserves an honorable mention, even though it's not really a belt-scroller.

>Best 3 console beat-'em-ups
Double Dragon Advance
Mighty Final Fight
Bare Knuckle 3

>Beat-'em-up guilty pleasures
The Adventures of Bayou Billy
Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (arcade)
>>
>>2814859
>What does her "item skilled" perk even do?
She's more skilled with weapons than the other characters IIRC (item = weapon).
>>
>>2814906
And those genres lack actual good co-op, now fuck of mr autismo.
>>
>>2814856
>Alien vs Predator
Yeah, that game has some funky shit going on with enemy priorities and I think it has to do with enemy ranking (for the lack of a better word). The higher ranked enemies seem to have less frames of animations in their attacks (and are much more aggressive) so some of them can hit you out of your attacks even. The enemy ranking is not based on the stage or enemy type, but is based on individual enemies. Good game, and I used to play it enough to regularly 1cc it, and used to recommend it all the time too, but the one thing more than anything else that bothers me is the inconsistent grabbing. Irregular throwing mechanics bug me in my beat-em-ups. It's a pet peeve of mine. But it probably has more to do with enemy ranking that makes enemy attacks come out fast (and hits you before you get to grab them) more than anything else. Also, Lynn using her reload glitch makes the game kinda lame, so I stopped playing the game altogether. I would still recommend the game to everyone though. There's awesome stuff in it.
>>
>>2814906

Underage poster detected.
>>
>>2814974
>Lynn reload glitch

Her bullets are so incredibly weak you're more likely to die from a time over if you abuse her too much
>>
>>2814974
>but the one thing more than anything else that bothers me is the inconsistent grabbing
I hear you brotha. I hate how weak the grapples are in late Capcom beat 'em ups, this and the floaty controls are the main reason i dislike Armored Warriors.

AvP feels like it wanted to be a fast-paced mashy brawler, but for me Guardians did that much better (grapples in that game are fucking amazing too)
>>
File: 0000.png (23 KB, 384x224) Image search: [Google]
0000.png
23 KB, 384x224
>>2814859
Yes, Hannah is the weakest. Her dashing attack is the most vulnerable in the game. Her combo-ending attack's hitbox is only active for like 2 total frames while everyone else is active for like 4-5 (and Jack as shown in the OP pic has a HUGE hitbox that even serves as anti-air). Her down-up attack is useless. Her running jump kick, which serves as an alternative for her risky dashing attack, is also vulnerable. She's the most difficult character in the game bar-none.

>Item skilled
Knives normally knock down enemies with one hit, but Hannah can do a quick 3 stab combo on enemies.
Characters normally drop whatever weapon they're holding if they're hit, but Hannah will only drop weapons when she's actually knocked down.
I haven't noticed any differences with blunt weapons at all.

>>2814863
pic related
>>
File: i came.jpg (20 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
i came.jpg
20 KB, 400x400
>>2814994
Mmmm... Guardians... so much goodness in that game....
>>
>>2815007
Can you share some hitboxes from Warriors of Fate? especially Kassar's normal punches. The hitboxes in that game are so misleading and probably the main reason everyone suck at it
>>
>>2815007
>>2815019
Same, but with Night Slashers. I really want to like that game, but I can't get pass the Pinnochio boss.
>>
>>2815019
Aw dang. The program I'm using doesn't support Warriors of Fate. Sorry, man.

It works for the following games though.
Final Fight
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
The Punisher
Alien vs. Predator
Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara
Battle Circuit
>>
>>2815032
Does it work with non-Capcom games? How about Night Slashers?
>>
File: wof.png (200 KB, 405x237) Image search: [Google]
wof.png
200 KB, 405x237
>>2815032
I see, no problem.

Anyway, my tip for the game: hit the air a lot, especially with long-range characters.
>>
>>2815038
It only works with Capcom games unfortunately.

Here's the link for those who want to try it:

https://code.google.com/p/mame-rr/downloads/list

1) Download mame-rr-0144-test0.7z

2) put applicable roms into the roms directory. The mame version is 0.144. Some roms don't work, like Final Fight (World) for some reason, so try Final Fight (Japan). The roms at planetemu.net seem to work fine (except Final Fight (World)). Don't forget to get Q-sound.

3) https://mame-rr.googlecode.com/svn/lua/beatemup-hitboxes.lua
Save that file.

4) Start up mame-rr, then load a rom

5) Once the game has started, press CTRL+L and select the file from #3 and finally press Run.
>>
>>2815049
That screenshot has made me curious to see the actual hitbox lol
>>
>>2814994
>this and the floaty controls are the main reason i dislike Armored Warriors

I could never get into Armored Warriors no matter how many times I've tried. You're absolutely right about the floaty controls, it feels like you're ice-skating all over the place, and the attacks lack impact and feel a bit loose in terms of controls. Furthermore, the lack of character variety bothers me a little. I don't mind games with only 1 playable character, but when a game has 4 characters that are essentially the same except for a couple stats then that kinda bothers me.
>>
We can all agree that Konami beat em ups were fairly weak, right? That Ninja Turtles one was fucking monotonous.
>>
File: Vendetta_-_1991_-_Konami.jpg (160 KB, 1440x1061) Image search: [Google]
Vendetta_-_1991_-_Konami.jpg
160 KB, 1440x1061
>>2815256
>We can all agree that Konami beat em ups were fairly weak, right?

Nooooope.
>>
>>2814783
>that fucking Slisaurs fight

What the FUCK. Dat skill.
>>
>>2815256

Nah. Turtles in Time is great, as is the original Arcade game (the NES release was OK for what it was).
>>
>>2815256
>Vendetta
>Violent Storm
>>
File: 5912_865375.jpg (130 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
5912_865375.jpg
130 KB, 300x200
Who is your favorite Guardian?
>>
File: kurokishi.gif (363 KB, 500x432) Image search: [Google]
kurokishi.gif
363 KB, 500x432
>>
>>2815403
That game has so many great-playing characters that it's hard to pick just one, but I'd have to say Rou because he's both powerful and has the most unique fighting style (many long range moves, uppercut that pops grounded enemies into the air, his canned combo while holding down is fast and does wicked damage, grappling hook then hold back-up is fun, etc).
>>
File: Haggar.png (303 KB, 4096x1792) Image search: [Google]
Haggar.png
303 KB, 4096x1792
hello

mike haggar here
>>
File: guardianheroes-13.png (53 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
guardianheroes-13.png
53 KB, 320x224
Which Beat em Ups have the most complex move sets for their characters? I always found Golden Axe and Double Dragon really boring because they feel like walking forward and using the same 2-3 moves on everything.

The one I liked best was Guardian Heroes, which felt like it had more to it than others I had played. Also it was mostly co-op which helped make it entertaining.

Are there any Beat em Ups out there where your character feels more like a full fighting game character with multiple specials and normals that are useful?
>>
>>2815914
Guardians

Double Dragon Advance
>>
>>2815934
Wow really? I'd only heard bad things about DDA.

Do you mean Guardians of the Hood? I couldn't see one just called Guardians.
>>
>>2815914
Ragnarok Battle Offline
It's not really /vr/ though, but it is something you are looking for.
Also probably Panzer Bandit
>>
>>2815914
I hate the mention it but Dungeon Fighter Online is good for the fighting game feel. It's worth a look if you can get past the Nixon grind game style.
>>
Is it true that the fighting game community considers beatemups to be simplistic and boring?
>>
>>2815967
>>2815968
Thanks, I'll look into those.

>>2815983
Probably. I'm into fighters and my trouble getting into Beat em Ups is that they feel similar yet much more simplistic and boring. Which brought me to ask about more complex ones to look into.

That said, I don't consider myself a representative of the fighting game community as a whole and quite frankly find most of them pretty insufferable. I like the games, but try to interact with the communities that form for them because of that. Based on what I know of them, they mostly probably think Beat em Ups are simplistic garbage baby games. If only because that's how they view anything that's not a fighter.
>>
>>2815995
>I like the games, but try not to interact with the communities that form for them because of that

Fixed sorry, forgot an important word in there. Tl;dr, don't give a moment's care as to what the fighting community thinks about anything that's not a fighting game, and even then take it with a grain of salt.
>>
File: image.jpg (221 KB, 640x738) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
221 KB, 640x738
>>2815948
>Wow really? I'd only heard bad things about DDA.
You must come from an alternate universe or something, cause DDA is generally regarded to be one of the better games in the series, if not the best. It's just kinda obscure due to coming out only on the GBA and having a small print run.

>Do you mean Guardians of the Hood? I couldn't see one just called Guardians.
It's also known as Denji Makai II.
>>
>>2815983
Who gives a fuck what the FGC thinks? As if their autistic opinion matters.
>>
>>2815983
The two communities overlap. And I don't know why you asked this question.
>>
>>2815256
Most of them sure, but Violent Storm and Vendetta are pretty legit.
>>
>>2815403
They all are fucking awesome so hard choice, i think i like Belva the best.
Zeldia is easily the worst though.
>>
>>2815983
They are allowed to say that only if they don't suck balls at them.

>>2815995
There is a common misconception in modern gaming that combat must be all about juggle combos and special attacks. In a beat 'em up there are much more important things, such as enemy/level design, balance and solid mechanics. Try 1cc'ing Final Fight if you think it's that simple.
>>
>>2816632
SoR trilogy is a lot better. But i'd take Final Fight arcade over any SoR.

Final Fight 2 and 3 are shit.
>>
>>2816528
Thing about juggle combos and special attacks is that they break up the repetitiveness.
Final Fight is good and all but to be quite honest with you family, if you've seen the first 5 minutes you've seen the whole game.
>>
>>2816726
Juggle combos are just as repetitive, quality in a beat 'em up is in the game itself, not in the combo system.

Final Fight 3 has some special moves and stuff but it's still awful compared to the arcade because the enemy design, levels and challenge is mediocre.

Shadow over Mystara has jugglecombos but you can cheese all the game with a basic combo and large oils. Fighting Gados, Poison and Andores have way more action than that shit.

>if you've seen the first 5 minutes you've seen the whole game.
Then try playing the last 5 minutes of the game as good as your first 5 minutes.
>>
>>2814783
>What's your best 3 arcade beat-em-ups of all time
Metamorphic Force
Warriors of Fate
Gaiapolis

>What's your best 3 console beat-em-ups of all time
Streets of Rage 2
River City Ramson
Figthing Force

>Beat-em-up guilty pleasures (dumb but fun games)
Ninja Gaiden Arcade
Streets of Rage 1
>>
>>2816737
Why does everything boils down to a pissing contest to you?
>>
>>2816793
Why do you have to recur to ad hominem when you don't have anything to say?, it's embarrassing. If you say a game is "too simple and repetitive"; the bare minimum to say that is knowing how to play the game, simple logic m8.
>>
>>2816808
I don't know, I think it's pretty sad that you've spent the past 20 years practicing the same video game every day just to brag about an 1cc achievement no one cares about. More power to you, I guess.
>>
>>2816726
Beat'em ups aren't competitive games. Comparing beat'em ups to fighting games, and judging beat'em ups under the same criteria as fighting games is pointless. Beat'em ups should be compared to genres like shoot'em ups and run'n guns and action games, not fighting games. All those genres are essentially the same thing: you move, you dodge, and you attack computer-controlled enemies. The difficulty is increased by the number and aggressiveness of enemies and projectiles on the screen. The main differences between the genres are the reach of your attacks and how much of the screen you can move around in. Stop comparing beat'em ups to fighting games. You're barking up the wrong tree, homie.

When it comes to beat'em ups, aim for a 1cc. Just have fun, and try not to die, beat'em ups aren't a dick-measuring contest of who spent more time practicing like competitive genres are. Beat'em ups provide a nice cathartic experience of punching people in the face and kneeing them in the dick that you can complete from beginning to end in about 30-40 minutes, and you'll get immense satisfaction from a successful 1cc. Why would you want anything more than that? Lastly, if you don't get enjoyment from beat'em ups then stop playing them, genius.
>>
>>2816816
You must suck at video games if you think Final Fight takes 20 years to 1cc, a couple of weeks at most. And excuse me for enjoying games, i didn't know it was such a crime, lol.

/v/ is the better place for you friend, we actually talk about video games here instead of shitposting ad hominem (well, sometimes).
>>
>>2815403

Tulks
>>
>>2816816
>20 years

Try 20 days. That's all you need.
>>
File: aVhLS.jpg (51 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
aVhLS.jpg
51 KB, 480x640
Posting some Final Fight stuff I found on twipple.
>>
File: LvlV4.jpg (38 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
LvlV4.jpg
38 KB, 480x640
>>2816963
>>
File: RdOOh.jpg (51 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
RdOOh.jpg
51 KB, 480x640
>>2816968
One of the developers confirming rumors of Poison and Roxy being shemales. Basically the same explanation that Nishitani himself gave on Twitter.
>>
File: NTmfC.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
NTmfC.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
>>2816970
>>
>>2816970
Wait, I thought the lead designer confirmed that Poison/Roxy were females.
>>
File: 1445201114894.jpg (154 KB, 1016x970) Image search: [Google]
1445201114894.jpg
154 KB, 1016x970
>>2814906
kek
>>
>>2816463
>Zeldia is easily the worst though.

Yup. Zeldia and Kurokishi are the worst by far. Very fun to use though. All the characters are a blast to play.

By the way, I read somewhere that there is another version of Guardians that combines all the alternate routes to make for a much longer game. Not sure if it was an official hack/upgrade (like Darius Gaiden Extra and Undercover Cops: Alpha Renewal) or a bootleg. Would love to see it on mame someday. Would also love to see the current glitches and graphical issues sorted out in mame Guardians itself.
>>
>>2816117
Yeah, I was probably remembering wrong. So many of the "advance" versions of older games were terrible that I probably lumped them in. I'll check both it and Guardians out though, thanks.

>>2816528
Fighters aren't really about juggle combos and special attacks though. That comes in of course, but above mid level play they're much more about positioning, footsies and the mind games of second guessing your opponent.

Also I didn't mean to imply that simple was the same as easy. What I was referring to is more that in a fighter you usually have either 4 or 6 basic attacks all with different frame data, range and power. That's built more with simple commands like down+heavy punch that do variations and then usually 5 - 10 special moves on top of that.

The result is that the character you're controlling in a fighter has a very wide pool of attacks and you can really do a lot with them. Of the Beat em Ups I've played they were all a lot more simple and so it feels like you're doing the same small number of attacks over and over.
>>
File: vrandy.jpg (540 KB, 1200x628) Image search: [Google]
vrandy.jpg
540 KB, 1200x628
>>2814783
It seems quickly clarifying you only play SoR2 in mania so as not to taint your /vr/ panache when bringing that game up is already a tradition around here

It's a home game; it's got not quarters to guzzle, and what that translates into in terms of gameplay design doesn't make it less of a good game
>>
File: scrkA9WYN.gif (104 KB, 794x550) Image search: [Google]
scrkA9WYN.gif
104 KB, 794x550
seeing a beat em up just gave me a nostalgia rush of little fighters 2, fun game.. remember getting a demo of it off some gaming magazine back in the 90s
anyone know of any general pc beat em up? I know of openBOR but it always crashes on me
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (33 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
33 KB, 480x360
RU-FI-O
>>
>>2817352
I was mostly comparing them to hack 'n slashes, since people who play that genre and want to try beat 'em ups usually expect that combat style.

And again, comparing beat 'em ups to fighting games is just pointless, like some anon said before, they are completely different genres that focus on different things, beat 'em ups are more comparable to other arcade genres. You can't design a "2.5D" game with 10 CPU enemies on screen the same way you design a 1v1 PvP fighting game, it's kinda obvious.

Also, limited moveset isn't a problem if the game has a good challenge, because, beat 'em ups are more about positioning, enemy design and perfecting the mechanics of the game, which takes quite a while to master, combos are just a small part of them.

I think you are getting this is impression from playing only old-school games like Double Dragon or Golden Axe, which are indeed quite simplistic and kinda broken. But since Final Fight, beat 'em ups added a fair amount complexity to the formula. Large crowds, on-contact grabs, cancels, desperate attacks, more mobility and more polished enemy design make a huge difference compared to those 80s brawlers.
>>
>>2817563
>But since Final Fight, beat 'em ups added a fair amount complexity to the formula. Large crowds, on-contact grabs, cancels, desperate attacks, more mobility and more polished enemy design make a huge difference compared to those 80s brawlers.

Sounds like it's time I gave Final Fight a serious try. You're indeed right that I get my impression from old games like DD and Golden Axe. I had really enjoyed Guardian Heroes, but it felt very different.

I wasn't meaning to say in all of this that I think fighters are better, just that they're a genre I'm a lot more familiar with. Beat em Ups always seemed cool, but didn't quite click with me. Though they're not something I've put a lot of time into. This thread has given some good suggestions though so this weekend I'll probably give some more a serious go.
>>
>>2814783
>Best beat-em-up weapon of all time? Some examples...

SOR3 should get honourable mention for its weapon specials, IMO. They don't hit as hard due to the different damage balance and crappier sound effects. But in-game, some of them are insanely powerful (Blaze blitz with sword or super with a knife, Axel super with a sword, Skate blitz with a knife).

And axels dashing pipe/plank/baseball bat swing looks damn sweet.
>>
>>2817352
Advanced Guardian Heroes is usually regarded to be a weaker game than the Saturn version, although its critics usually blow it out of proportions. Personally, I didn't think the original was all that great.
>>
>>2817667
I had boatloads of fun in the Saturn Guardian Heroes, but probably 95% of the time I played it was co-op and that's where a lot of the fun came from. It also had so many branching paths while being fairly short that it led to a lot of replaying. The brief time I spent playing the GBA game was very disappointing.

I did have some fun with Code of Princess which is the spiritual successor, but it's a lot longer and kind of grindy which made the problem of a limited number of attacks got pretty repetitive.

Looking forward to trying out some of the suggested games this weekend though.
>>
>>2817369
>It seems quickly clarifying you only play SoR2 in mania

Where in the post did I mention mania?
>>
>>2817804
When you said hardest difficulty.
>>
File: 0jOFfbL.jpg (12 KB, 320x394) Image search: [Google]
0jOFfbL.jpg
12 KB, 320x394
>>2817825
Hardest is an actual difficulty level.
>>
>>2817825
>>2817840
also I said "Hardest mode" not "the hardest mode". There's a difference, bro.
>>
File: WwTIP.jpg (34 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
WwTIP.jpg
34 KB, 360x480
>>2817017
That's pretty much what they say in that scan. The interviewer asks him "Are Poison and Roxy really shemales" and the developer (which could be Nishitani and someone else) basically said that the decision to make them transgender was made when they market tested Final Fight in the US and someone told them it was taboo to punch women in the US.
>>
>>2817843
And I doubt that's what he meant. Don't be pedantic.
>>
>>2817856
There is an actual Hardest mode in SOR2. You made a mistake.
>>
File: Wob0u.jpg (28 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
Wob0u.jpg
28 KB, 360x480
To those who had 1CC'ed Final Fight. How accurate are the versions included in Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1 on PS2/Xbox and Double Impact on PS3/Xbox 360? I notice they lack some of the difficulty options that were available on the original arcade game, so instead of 32 possible settings, you only get 8. That seems pretty gimped to me. The defaults aren't accurate either.
>>
>>2817856
If I wanted to be specific about mania then don't you think I would have said "Mania mode"?

Anyway, the reason why I mentioned Hardest mode (and have done so for several years) is because it has the best balance out of all the difficulty levels. You get a higher number of enemies on-screen than the lower modes making the game more exciting and promoting a more active playing style, but the enemies aren't cheap and frustrating like in mania mode. Now stop reading into things, proceed to untwist your panties, and stop taking offense at trivial (and in this case, imagined) things.
>>
>>2817893
I don't even know how the difficulty differences work in that game (probably has to do with food chances and enemy rank). But since Final Fight never had a perfect port, i suppose the PS2 version is an emulated arcade revision.
>>
>>2816632
>No Double Dragon
>>
>>2816632
As a series I like SOR better, but when it comes to individual games I like Final Fight (arcade) the best.
>>
File: image.jpg (429 KB, 850x1195) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
429 KB, 850x1195
>>2818032
Double Dragon had less consistency than the other series.
>>
>>2816632
We all know Rushing Beat is the best series.
>>
>>2818083
So? They al have a certain formula.
>>
>>2818226
I think he's saying that the Double Dragon games were of varying quality.
>>
>>2818387
And Final Fight/Streets of Rage aren't?
>>
>>2817850
>the decision to make them transgender was made when they market tested Final Fight in the US

That seems kind of odd, considering that Poison's original concept art says "newhalf" next to the sketch.
>>
>>2817936
I took offense? I just clarified what you said. I don't get mad over invisible Internet people.
>>
>>2818658
You're the one who went on a rant when he never even mentioned mania. You come off as a pretentious idiot who can't admit when he's completely wrong, so just shut up now.
>>
>>2818746
I went on a rant? That's some serious projecting you're doin there. Just calm down a bit.
>>
>>2818748
You got proven wrong and now you're just in denial. Anything else?
>>
File: 0000.png (4 KB, 384x224) Image search: [Google]
0000.png
4 KB, 384x224
>>2817948
Nishitani said on Twitter that the difficulty options determines the "lucky" and "unlucky patterns". At any rate, it was kinda lazy on Digital Eclipse's part to remove the "Difficulty B" option from the emulated versions.

>>2818426
Yeah, that concept art on Capcom Classics Collection every official statement that Nishitani and co. has made regarding Poison's true gender. Maybe the newhalf part was written under the concept art after the fact. After all, they probably recycled the same plan when they did the Super Famicom and X68000 versions.
>>
File: 1447238252786d.png (249 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1447238252786d.png
249 KB, 640x960
>>2818658
>>2818746
>>2818748
>>2818780
>>
Rushing Beat 2 vs 3?
>>
File: 167000483.jpg (51 KB, 209x384) Image search: [Google]
167000483.jpg
51 KB, 209x384
>>2818912
Syura > Run
They're both kinda so-so though. I never understood why they got such shitty localizations.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (46 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
46 KB, 480x360
>>2818956
That's some god-tier cover art for a mediocre game.
>>
>>2818974
Zoku: The Legend of Bishin is another mediocre straight-to-SFC belt scroller with an awesome cover.
>>
File: 0013.png (19 KB, 384x224) Image search: [Google]
0013.png
19 KB, 384x224
>>2815007
>Hannah is the weakest

I was fiddling around, playing Cadillacs with hitboxes turned on, and found even more bad things about Hannah.

1) She's the only character who cannot hit an enemy with her normal jump kick while ascending because her jump kick comes out too slow.

2) When doing a jump kick, she's the only character who's hurtbox is lower than her hitbox, meaning that she's more vulnerable to getting hit out of the air. To make things worse, Hannah has a floatier jump that has more vertical height than everyone else (which is a BAD thing), making her even more vulnerable to getting punched in the cunt when doing jump kicks.

3) During a grab, if you do her rolling attack, some enemies can hit you before you hit them, and some enemies can jump away before you hit them.
>>
>>2820394
Doing running jump kicks with Hannah stops everything in mid air IIRC, it was fine for stopping Walters.

Recently 1cc'd Alien vs Predator for the first time. Like some anon said before, it's kinda bullshit at times, but it's still an enjoyable game.
>>
>>2820410
Yeah, she can hit enemies while ascending with her running jump kick, but not her normal jump kick. Her running jump kick isn't very reliable though because her jumps have too much vertical height. If she had a running jump with minimal vertical height like Mustapha or Mess then her running jump kick would have been a great move.
>>
>>2818780
I did? Good to know. Here's your reply.
>>
>>2820425
In any case, i felt all the characters from the game were similarly doable to beat the game. The only part where a character was much better than the others IMO was Slisaurs, it's just much easier to do with Mustapha than the others.
>>
>>2820410
Try a Lynn playthrough next. Neutral jump then neutral gun (i.e. don't press any directions when shooting) is great for long distance, and ground gun for medium range. If enemies are close then super jump away. Super jump across the screen so that enemies are all on one side, then shoot, shoot and shoot. Melee attacks aren't needed 95% of the time. For regular enemies, that's all she needs. Knowledge of boss patterns is necessary of course. Stages 5 and 6 is more about using marine guns to wipe things out. Last boss is hard with any character. Overall though, in my opinion she's actually easier than Predator Warrior.
>>
>>2820439
Yeah, that's true. They're all perfectly doable. I would say the main difference is consistency, rather than efficiency. For instance, playing Mustapha, you'll get the result you expect 95% of the time. But when playing Hannah, you'll get the result you expect most of the time but every once in a while you'll get hit when you think you shouldn't have.
>>
>>2820439
>>2820457
Mustapha isn't the best. Mess is the best. Mustapha is second. Hannah is weak. Jack is okay. Play on lev 7 and you will see why Mess is the best. Lev 7 no death is muuuuuch harder with Hannah and needs a lot of luck.
>>
>>2818857
Diff b is enemy damage in Capcom games.
>>
>>2814783
Why are you making a beat 'em up general without inviting people to play with you on Fightcade?

Or at least mentioning that we can play online in Fightcade?

These games live and breath on co-op.
>>
>>2820502
I never said that Mustapha is the best. I just said Hannah is the worst, which is true.
>>
>>2820513
The last time I tried Fightcade, or GGPO before that, all the beat'em up rooms were empty, every single time I logged on. So I ended up playing SSF2T.
>>
>>2820502
I recall doing pretty decent with Mustapha and Hannah on fightcade. Never cared about no death though.
>>
>>2820446
Doesn't sound very fun but i'll give it a try.

I tried Predator Hunter and did pretty good until level 7, just fuck that Power Loader.
>>
>>2820520
On fightcade people often play Cadillacs and Final Fight. Also Captain Commando and Punisher but as much.
>>
File: 0000.png (19 KB, 384x224) Image search: [Google]
0000.png
19 KB, 384x224
>>
File: 0003.png (18 KB, 384x224) Image search: [Google]
0003.png
18 KB, 384x224
>>2820628
>>
File: 0004.png (19 KB, 384x224) Image search: [Google]
0004.png
19 KB, 384x224
>>2820628
>>2820631
>>
File: 0002.png (19 KB, 384x224) Image search: [Google]
0002.png
19 KB, 384x224
>>
>>2815256
Have you ever played Konami's Asterix for arcade? Best Asterix game ever and one of the best license video games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LhEovW4Uqw
Also Metamorphic Force was awesome. It's like Altered Beast but fun (Altered Beast aged poorly).
>>
>>2820742
Not him, but i played this one at a real arcade when i was a kid.
Great memory and great game indeed.
>>
>>2820752
Asterix or MF? I was playing Asterix on a real arcade too when I was kid, at early '90s when it was first released.

I don't understand why they never ported it to consoles. Even a downgraded port on SNES would be still fun and much better than Infograme's mediocre Asterix games.
>>
>>2820754
Asterix.

Yes, when i then bought the SNES game i thought it would be the same/similar. Even it was nice too, i still wished for an similar arcade version.
>>
File: ffight_dip_sw.png (813 KB, 792x1113) Image search: [Google]
ffight_dip_sw.png
813 KB, 792x1113
>>2820508
Are you sure about that? I actually experimented on Difficulty B a few times and didn't notice any difference in term of enemy damage. I did notice that more enemies do come from out of the buildings in the very first area when I gradually raise both settings.
>>
>>2821008
I'm really surprised that no one's documented the difficulty settings after all these years.
>>
>>2820434
Yeah, you did. Thanks for the reply. Have a good weekend.
>>
File: Tower_of_Doom_sales_flyer.png (296 KB, 333x474) Image search: [Google]
Tower_of_Doom_sales_flyer.png
296 KB, 333x474
What's the best character for Tower of Doom? i love that game but it's pretty tough.
>>
File: DSC_2536.jpg (3 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2536.jpg
3 MB, 3008x2000
>>2821028
Another theory is that Difficulty B affects how fast the time limit moves down, but I didn't see any difference when I experimented with each setting. At any rate, I don't think it's that clear cut. If Difficulty B really affected the time limit, then it would be called Timer Speed or something.
>>
>been playing Sengoku 3
>suddenly come to the realization that there are no ways to gain extra lives in the entire game
>you have 2 lives to 1cc and that's it
>there's barely any health in the stages too
>>
>>2821821
The default settings in Final Fight gives you only two starting lives and a single bonus one.
>>
>>2821821
Just avoid it like every SNK beat 'em up.
>>
File: 14185496123.png (1 MB, 1685x811) Image search: [Google]
14185496123.png
1 MB, 1685x811
I've been thinking of making a recommendation list for beat-em-ups. So far I've got a wide range of titles, but I'm not sure how to best categorize them. I was thinking of basing the categories on systems originally released on ie arcade vs console systems, or gameplay complexity, or even simply visual settings ie scifi, oriental, etc. What would you prefer?

If you have any titles you'd like to add, I can always add them as well to the list.
>>
>>2822783
What the fuck does (NR) mean?
>>
>>2822783
By system is a good option, try to priorize the games with good gameplay over the ones with good visuals though.
>>
>>2821301
Is there a way to change the difficulty setting while the game is running (without going to the service menu)? Maybe changes will be more evident, then.
>>
>>2822828
It uses DIP switches, but I'm not sure if the effect takes place until you reset the game.
>>
>>2821098
Cleric. Best rushing attack due to attack speed, good reach and recovery speed. Heavy attack hits grounded enemies and has good reach and recovery. Avoid doing his combo, and his main attack should be his heavy attack from a medium to long distance, buffered into block when necessary. One of two characters who can block overhead attacks (along with the Dwarf). Buff before bosses to wreck them. Challenging game regardless of who you use, but in terms of a character ranking it goes Cleric then Fighter & Dwarf then Elf. Yes, you read that right, the Dwarf is as good as the Fighter. Less reach but better recovery speed on attacks, faster weapon throwing speed and able to block overhead attacks. Elf is the worst - good against bosses thanks to spells but, unlike Shadow, Tower of Doom has tough regular enemies that you have to deal with and she's the worst against them.

>>2821821
I wrote a long post about how to abuse the enemy AI a few months ago. Check one of those 4chan archive websites if you're interested. The biggest hurdle in the game is the final boss, but that's only if you didn't stock up on 9 bombs beforehand. The game doesn't throw you any curve balls at all and the enemies are very predictable, so the game is perfectly beatable with 2 lives.

>>2822783
Add Batman Returns (SNES) and Ghost Chaser Densei (SNES).

You should make categories based on who made them (Capcom, Konami, Sega, etc.). That tells more about the games than anything else. For instance, if someone plays Final Fight for the first time and likes it then he can pick out another Capcom game and will also enjoy it. OTOH if the categories are based on themes, he might end up picking out crap like Riot City.

Or make sub-categories within each Company, such as CPS1, CPS2, Crime Fighters series, Konami franchise games, Golden Axe series, etc.
>>
>>2822852
Yeah i remember getting pretty far with Dwarf in Tower of Doom, he is a good character. Now i will try Cleric as you recommended. I like this game because the regular combat isn't as trivialized as Shadow over Mystara, and it's overall better balanced.
>>
>>2822865
Yeah, Tower of Doom is a really, really, really well-made game. Too bad it got overshadowed by... Shadows of Mystara.
>>
>>2817936
>the enemies aren't cheap and frustrating like in mania mode.

They aren't cheap in Mania either, there's just way too many of them, so you need constant crowd control or you'll end up bleeding lives.

Well I think they do hit you a bit faster on Mania, but the problem is mostly due to the amount of enemies. There are 1-2 more of them at any given scenario, and a lot of exclusive lieutenants as well.

Biggest problem in Mania though? They should've added at least a "congratulations" to the ending, like how Hardest difficulty tells you the cheat code for the Options screen.
>>
>>2822896
Mania has the same amount of enemies than Hardest. The problem is the massive speed boost in the enemies compared to your sluggish character.
>>
>>2822896
Are you a necromancer?
>>
>>2822783
Where's Double Dragon Advance?
>>
>>2822852
What's the purpose of saving up nine bombs?
>>
>>2823162
To spam them on the last boss. Not just anytime you want. Do it after he whiffs a big attack, or he's turning around, or he finished recovering his health, etc, then throw all 9 in quick succession. Keep in mind that not all characters are created equal. Characters have varying throwing speed, and by throwing speed I'm referring to how fast they throw, not the speed of the projectile. Byakki > Kagetsura & Kurenai > Okuni > Kongoh > Falcon, if I remember correctly, although Byakki has fast throwing speed but slow recovery, although the recovery can be negated by cancelling into a special move, not that Byakki even needs bombs because he rapes the last boss for free.
>>
>>2822760
Sengoku 3 is by Noise Factory though. It just happens to be released on the Neo-Geo.
>>
>>2822783
By developer.
Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.