[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a game that's harder than the NTSC version of Battletoads
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: 903937.gif (618 KB, 600x720) Image search: [Google]
903937.gif
618 KB, 600x720
Is there a game that's harder than the NTSC version of Battletoads on NES?
>>
prolly any arcade shmup with 5 million loops
>>
>>2814472

yes. just on the NES you've got Q-Bert, Arkanoid, and Ikari Warriors.
>>
>>2814472
That's beatable?

Possibly IO on C64.

If you're just talking NES games then probably not.
>>
Is there a patch to fix the glitches in ntsc version?
Or should I just play the jap version?
>>
I think Ghosts n Goblins is harder than Battletoads if we're talking about NES games
>>
>>2814487
What glitch? The only major glitch is for 2 player mode.
>>
>>2814484
It's beatable theoretically but not in 2 player mode. American NES battletoads is bugged in 2 player mod
>>
>>2814487

>Is there a patch to fix the glitches in ntsc version?

I assume you're referring to the Clinger Winger glitch? that doesn't matter unless you're playing 2-player, and even than you can still beat the level

>Or should I just play the jap version?

no. it's extremely watered down. I strongly encourage you to try and beat the real version
>>
>>2814487
Japanese version is a completely different difficulty level altogether, and you don't encounter the hard stop at Clinger Winger in single player mode.

Essentially, stop playing two-player and you'll be fine.
>>
>>2814491
>>2814495
>>2814496
My problem is I prefer to play co-op so I would like to be able to beat it with a friend rather than go at it single player again
>>
>>2814509
You can beat the bugged level if you let player 2 game over in the NTSC version.

But you're probably better off playing the jap version if you really want co-op.
>>
>>2814509

if it's an option for you, the Rare Replay version is the NTSC version and has the Clinger Winger glitch fixed
>>
>>2814472
It's really not that hard, it just requires a lot of replaying so you can memorize the levels.

Also knowing how t maximize your score for extra lives also helps.
>>
File: ghostsngoblinsnes[1].jpg (169 KB, 640x876) Image search: [Google]
ghostsngoblinsnes[1].jpg
169 KB, 640x876
>>2814472
>>
>>2814528

easier just for the fact it has unlimited continues.
>>
>>2814535
Yea but the last 2 levels are just this incredible gauntlet, there's potential to be stuck replaying them forever. Not to mention you have to do it all with the shield weapon
>>
>>2814519
would it be possible to somehow extract the rom from that?
>>
>>2814472
Go play Gradius III arcade for some perspective.
>>
>>2814545
THIS

There are a crapload of arcade games, a lot of them ported to the NES, that I would say are harder than battletoads in their attempt to nab quarters
>>
File: arino.jpg (41 KB, 567x487) Image search: [Google]
arino.jpg
41 KB, 567x487
>mfw Arino beat the Japanese Battletoads

okay it's easier but it's still fucking hard
>>
>>2814573
he was really enjoying it too which I loved
>>
>>2814573
Fuck off back to your containment thread weeb
>>
>>2814587
Yeah, I think he enjoyed the huge amount of variety in the game. Every level has a unique gimmick, and that's pretty rare for the time.
>>
Silver Surfer
>>
>>2814492
Clinger-Winger is bugged, but the game is still beatable. You can easily look up a video of people doing it.
>>
>>2814692
Yeah but doesn't the second player have to lose?
>>
>>2814597
>and that's pretty rare for the time

heh
>>
>>2814535
Japanese version doesnt have unlimited continues.
>>
You ever played Sexy Parodius, Anon? That game is fun but it's hard as shit.
>>
Adventures of Bayou Billy?

Immortal?
>>
>>2815910
There's a code for it.
>>
>>2815910

there's a code, that I'd imagine was widely known and used by kids in Japan back than. just like Adventure Island here in the states
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSQwC-XQBA
>>
>>2814524
That's basically every rare game, they were big on memorization difficulty.
>>
>>2814539
Maybe. Try asking on someplace that's dedicated to homebrew/piracy on modern hardware. They're more likely than anyone to know how to dissect xbone disks. I might also recommend seeing if a dump has been put online anywhere, as you won't get anywhere unless you can rip the files off of the disk itself.
>>
>>2815929
Usually I enjoy gimmick speedruns (e.g. blindfold Punch-Out), but this seems like pointless masochism and I can't enjoy it. Respect the skill tho.
>>
>>2815921
>>2815925
i never knew, i live in mexico, my dad gave me a famicom with lots of games, he bought to a japanese neighboor who was getting deported, this was around 1987 i think, the NES wasnt even officially released here yet, so i didnt knew there was a code for ghost n goblins, (or "zombies" like i used to call the game, since well it was in japanese) lol
>>
>>2814692
Wrong. One of the stages will not continue past the start in 2 player mode.
>>
>>2816289
no, he's right, you're wrong

you kill the 2nd player, have 1st player beat Clinger Winger, and continue 2player on the final stage.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.