[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hidden control options
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (180 KB, 256x358) Image search: [Google]
image.png
180 KB, 256x358
Post games with hidden/alternative/advanced control options.

Shinobi 3 has a hidden 6 button control mode.
>>
>>2813584
Does it just add a block and melee button?
>>
>>2813584
While the 6 button control scheme made playing the game better(manual blocking, sword, etc) it also made an already somewhat simple game even easier. Which is why I'm guessing they left it as a "secret".

Since I found out about it(which was only a couple years back) I only play using the 6 button configuration but set the game on the highest difficulty. It's still piss easy tho.
>>
>>2813601
Yes.
>>
File: image.png (44 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.png
44 KB, 320x240
Feels better and more convenient to put item select on the Y button. Never found moonwalking useful.
>>
File: Pad_MD_JP_I.jpg (94 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Pad_MD_JP_I.jpg
94 KB, 1024x768
>>2813606
>it also made an already somewhat simple game even easier. Which is why I'm guessing they left it as a "secret".

Well, you guessed wrong.
>>
>>2813997
Are you telling me they could only afford 3 buttons on the genny controller? What the fuck, SEGA?
>>
>>2813997
The six button controller and game released in the same year, though. Or did you mean something else?
>>
>>2814005
What I meant was, they went with said default control scheme because the early genesis controllers ony had 3 face buttons and they still wanted to support those. They probably would've liked the 6 button one to the standard. Far as I know there were quite a few revisions. I don't think it has to do with gameplay balance primarily is all.
>>
>>2814014
>controller and game released in the same year
Exactly. While it was a big upgrade for sure, I'd expect the 'install base' for the new controller to have been low in the beginning. Locking out a significant portion of existing genesis owners would've been a bad move.
>>
>>2813997
There are genesis games that let you swap between 3 button and 6 button controls. Makes me wonder why this one was hidden.
>>
>>2814038
So, you're under the impression that it was made secret not because it makes the game easier, but because "not enough people owned it"?

You realize that if that were the case, they would have just made it a option, right? Tons of games did this. The 3-button layout made the game somewhat more difficult, as you had to learn the various prompts for various moves, no?
>>
does anybody use a button to dash in Mega Man X? I always use the double tap
>>
>>2814047
Yeah, hiding it is a bit of a weird move. I am too lazy to look it up right now, but if the game came out really close to the release of the 6 button controller I think they maybe wanted to hide the fact that this is in fact a 6 button game (it really is). And that you essentially needed to make an additional purchase to play it the optimal way.

The game is really torn design wise like that. You get so many shurikens that you don't really need. It's because of the controller limitations I think.

But again, locking out potential buyers is just bad business.
>>
>>2814051
read
>>2814068

They tried to hide the fact it is a 6 button game as it was one of the first and that you really 'needed' to buy a new controller for this. Which is of course not entirely true as the did a pretty good job of supporting both setups. I'd say it is a 3/6 button game. But better played on 6 of course.

I mean, if that controller had been out of a year or whatever and everybody already bought like 10 games that use that, no biggie. But being one of the first. Ehh...
>>
>>2814078
>read

That only makes sense if it was said before, which it wasn't. But I digress.

It was hidden because the "optimal" layout made the game easier. Which was the whole point.
>>
>>2814092
>which it wasn't

Whoops I'm blind. Ignore that.
>>
they made it unlockable by a code because it makes the game too easy
>>
>>2814092
>That only makes sense if it was said before, which it wasn't.

No, it doesn't? How does it only make sense if that's the case? I wanted you to read that reply. How does that not make sense?

>>2814097
Is it only accessible by a cheat code? I had forgotten about that. It certainly does make the game easier but my idea still stands. They could might've made the game more challenging with a default 6 button layout. It's still my favorite Shinobi.
>>
>>2814116
read
>>2814095

I suppose they could have made it harder with a default 6-button layout, but that would also mean making it harder for 3-button players (as you yourself have noted).
>>
>>2814118
lol, I didn't even mean the contents of my post. It's not about you being blind or the order of posts. I just wanted to say 'read x, it's an answer." That's all. Wasn't meant to come off as snarky or anything.
>>
>>2814139
I realise that, my original point is that saying "you should read this" implies that I'm posting superfluous content, which I was. I was originally under the impression that you were linking me to something said after my post, which would be improper usage of "read". Using "read" is entirely snarky, it's kind of the point. Like dismissing an argument but you're not even the one doing the typing.

But I digress. Wouldn't you agree that making the game more difficult for 6-button players is unfair to 3-button players?
>>
>>2814156
>Wouldn't you agree that making the game more difficult for 6-button players is unfair to 3-button players?

Absolutely. That was entirely hypothetical. They clearly took care implementing 3 button support meaning there are design concessions within the gameplay itself because of it.

And again, I think they didn't want to give off any signals that it might be a gimped way to play that game with 3 buttons.

It just would've been a different game if 6 buttons had been the genesis standard from the start. But that's unrealistic...
>>
>>2814178
>They clearly took care implementing 3 button support meaning there are design concessions within the gameplay itself because of it.

Because as you yourself had said (or at least I believe it was you), most people at the time owned 3-button controllers.
>locking out potential buyers is just bad business.

>it might be a gimped way to play that game with 3 buttons.

So they locked the easier way with a password.

>But that's unrealistic...

Indeed.
>>
>>2814058
Most people use the button since you can't dash jump off of walls with double tap.
If anything, the double tap is a secret because it's never listed as an option when changing the controls
>>
bump...any more examples?
>>
>>2814005
It's not a matter of cost it was a manner of the Genesis coming out before six buttons was needed and nearly everything else only had two unless you count the select button. Keep in mind the console was launched in 89 when most games were just simple platformers, beat em ups, shmups, and run and gun shooters.
>>
>>2814913
3 is still the perfect amount of face buttons, despite the fact that 4 has become the standard.
>>
>>2814940

Tekken requires 4 so obviously 4 is the best
>>
>>2813584
6 button controller with boogerman = one of the top row makes him say "BOOGER!" on demand
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.