[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GBG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 20
Okay boys and girls I bought my first game boy and it is the classic original one. I was hoping you could recommend me some good game boy games? I have tetris and super mario land 2. Also game boy general I guess
>>
>>2813418
Weekly recommend thread!

First tell us what kinds of games you like. Also you fucked up a little on the model. Original Gameboy has the worst screen and Color is when a lot of the truly great games started getting made.

There's still a lot to play, but no reason for an original model other than nostalgia, and nostalgia is idiotic.
>>
Mole Mania and anything with Kirby in it
>>
>>2813428
>nostalgia is idiotic

Not that I disagree, but do you know where you are?

OP can just emulate GBC and GBA games. The original GameBoy has some gems.

Pokémon Yellow
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
Castlevania Legends
Kirby's Adventure in Dream Land and Dream Land 2
Metroid II The Return of Samus
>>
>>2813438
Fully. I like old games because some of them stand the test of time very well and are still a lot of fun. I think trying to recreate the past in a vain attempt to relive it is pathetic though. There's really nothing good about trying to generate nostalgia.
>>
File: ninjagaiden-1427749463891_1280w.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ninjagaiden-1427749463891_1280w.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
>>2813428
Yes I know it isn't the best model and that I should have bought the advance sp ags-101 so I could play all the game boy library games, but ever since I was litttle and one of my friends had the original one I fell in love with the clumsy brick and that weird green/yellowish screen. So about the games: I enjoy games like super mario bros, contra, metroid, mega man and ninja gaiden but also adventure games and beat em ups. So what I really want is variety.
>>
>>2813438

I'd bet for a fair portion of /vr/ nostalgia isn't a large deciding factor.

I grew up on NES, PS1 and PC but as an adult I like Sega, handhelds and the SNES
>>
>>2813454
Cool then. All this guy's recommendations are good >>2813438. Metroid 2 is great. If you like RPGs and haven't played Pokemon, they're legitimately fun adventures.

Final Fantasy Legend 1 and 2 are very interesting games as well. 3 is more of a typical JRPG but also good.

Final Fantasy Adventure is the first in Square's action RPG Mana series.

Gagoyle's Quest is also really good.

Link's Awakening is a must play if you like those kinds of games.

DR Mario, if you're into Tetris is another great puzzler

Adventure Island 2 is a lot of fun.
>>
>>2813428

I actually never owned an original game boy but I'm getting one just because I like how it looks
>>
>>2813418
Fuck you, google that shit.

>>2813513
>Gagoyle's Quest is also really good
It's not just really good, it's one of the best designed games ever. Capcom couldn't even improve on it.
>>
File: Bionic-commando-gb.jpg (13 KB, 200x203) Image search: [Google]
Bionic-commando-gb.jpg
13 KB, 200x203
>>2813594
Well yeah I could read those lists and find out that they are extremely repetitive, but I much rather take preferences from someone who actually likes a game and can tell which elements particular. Also would like to hear some great games that went sort of under the radar that people find good.
>>
>>2813672
Monster Max. developed by Rare (pubblished by Titus) Excellent isomeric puzzle-platformer which is severely underrated. should be able to find it cheap on ebay
>>
File: Donkey_Kong_94_box_art.jpg (26 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
Donkey_Kong_94_box_art.jpg
26 KB, 250x251
>>2813818
Following this recommendation, here are some other Gameboy games that I liked that are kind of lesser known:

Donkey Kong: NOT the Donkey Kong Land games, but the gb game based off the original arcade game. Excellent platformer with puzzle elements,100 levels with boss battles, great music and really good animated sprites.

James Bond: plays kinda like zelda but with guns (kinda like metal gear solid for the gbc). lots of different weapons, many bosses, card games minigames. Not as polished as Link's awakening, some parts are slightly obtuse to figure out (don't forget to look everywhere by pressing A).

Game and Watch Gallery: mingame collection, be sure to check out the sequels as well.

Wario Blast feat Bomberman: bomberman game with wario in it, 'nuff said

Rolan's Curse 2: Plays kinda like zelda, You control a party of 4 characters with slightly different attacks and spells, you can switch between any characters in your party at any time (there are 8 different playable characters in all in the game). You level up by finding icons spread thougout the land. Bossfights suck though, they don't seem to have clear patterns
>>
>>2813859
Sounds interesting. I better check these games out
>>
>>2813438
Castlevania Legends isn't very good.

Belmont's Revenge is great though.
>>
>>2813418
http://gbdev.gg8.se/forums/
You should look into getting a flashcart and playing homebrew, the creator of gunman clive is porting it over to the original gb, demo rom available, there's currently a GB Dev competition, last one got us a beatiful steins gate visual novel. These guys should be getting money to do more stuff
>>
The DMG has the best handheld Harvest Moon game in my opinion.
>>
>>2813418
Rolan's curse was fun and short, and feature multiplayer if you can ever manage to find 2 cartridges.
>>
The GB version of Samurai Shodown. Of course its nothing like the real thing, but it is oddly well made for a GB fighting game imo. Amazing soundtrack as well.
>>
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Boy

This probably covers most of it.
>>
>>2813428
I got all the gameboys and i still like to get the old brick out sometimes,the screen is perfectly fine in good sunlight.

/vr/ is built on nostalgia you pleb
>>
File: 5432441.jpg (109 KB, 663x842) Image search: [Google]
5432441.jpg
109 KB, 663x842
>>2813428

>nostalgia is idotic

Jesus fuck this is how someone takes advantage of Anonymity. If I knew who you were I'd beat you to within an inch of your fucking life for being such a faggot.
>>
File: callingthisbait.jpg (298 KB, 655x554) Image search: [Google]
callingthisbait.jpg
298 KB, 655x554
>>2813418
In my experience:
>Kirby's Dreamland
Comfy levels are at max
>Warioland
Better than that plumber everyone likes so much, but that's me
>Rolan's Curse 2
Not Zelda is pretty fun, features playing other characters to keep it interesting
>Link's Awakening
A classic not much to say about this one except if you haven't tried it you're missing out
>Metroid 2
While more linear than it's predecessor or successor, it's got more of the eponymous villain than all of the games combined (probably not true but damned close)
>Final Fantasy Legend/2
2 is superior to 1, but a both are unique plays especially if you've never played SaGa games because they're the first
>Nemesis
Not gradius is great fun if don't mind it's markedly slower being on the gb
>Pokemon R/B/Y/G/S
No comment, you have to have lived in a cave to missed these.
>Gargoyles Quest
An excellent platformer, the only stumbling block is the difficulty at the beginning.

My to-do list:
>Legend of the River King
Usually see this recommended but haven't tried it personally. Described as very comfy
>Azure dreams
Same as above, from appearances it's a stipped down version of the roguelike for the playstation.
>Kid Dracula
If at all like the NES release a worthwhile investment. But hard to find for a reasonable price.
>Megaman 3-5
Great music new levels if you're used to the originals

>>2813428
4/10 for knowing your audience.
>>
>>2817747
>Legend of the River King

Legend of the River King is a very odd game. Very, very comfy but also extremely slow paced, even for a Natsume game. I love that about it, but it's best to know going in. If the minutia of fishing with various baits and lures in a very light RPG setting appeals to you, it's great.
>>
>>2815732
Funny because if I knew you in real life and you admitted to being a grown adult who actively seeks out nostalgia in the way some people on this forum do I would laugh in your face.
>>
>>2813672
Why is this game expensive and hard to find these days?
>>
>>2813573
>>2813428
You should've bought a modded DMG with a bivert chip
>>
>>2817770
Why are you even here man? Your immature antics only distract yourself from thoughts or truths about yourself that you are hiding.
>>
>>2817906
I'm here because I enjoy a lot of old video games and on occasion, people around here talk about them. Also 4chan is a great place to kill time while at work.
>>
>>2817914
So you like nostalgia then.
>>
>>2817923
No, that's distinctly different. I like the design of some of these old games and they're still a lot of fun to play today. But my enjoyment of them doesn't come from nostalgia for how they used to make me feel, or wanting to recreate the original experience again. I simply like games, and many old games are still good.

Nostalgia is based on sentimentality for the past and wanting to relive it. I have none of that. I live in the present.
>>
>>2817902
>not modding it yourself.
tsk, tsk.
>>
>>2813418
>or wanting to recreate the original experience again. I simply like games, and many old games are still good.
>Nostalgia is based on sentimentality for the past and wanting to relive it. I have none of that. I live in the present.

I'm gonna get some shit, but the Gameboy port of Race Drivin' --- three tracks & actual polygons and physics;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-y7fk8mvH4
>>
File: 20151126_005230d.jpg (703 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
20151126_005230d.jpg
703 KB, 1280x1280
my DMG developed this funk around the edges...

anyone know what it is?
>>
File: RetroArch-1105-032405.png (7 KB, 640x576) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-1105-032405.png
7 KB, 640x576
>>2813418

Link's Awakening
>>
File: RetroArch-1105-070848.png (7 KB, 640x576) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-1105-070848.png
7 KB, 640x576
>>2813418

Metroid 2
>>
>>2818376

I had the genesis port. Hours of fun as a kid, the "crash cam" and the stunt course really sealed the deal.

Wish more games today did the attempted realism + wacky courses, I wanna do some sikk jumps in Forza. The closest thing out there today seems to be BeamNG, haven't been following it too closely.
>>
>>2818950
Try the Trackmania games
>>
File: Elevator-Action-J-_05.png (19 KB, 600x540) Image search: [Google]
Elevator-Action-J-_05.png
19 KB, 600x540
Elevator Action. It's a hidden gem and a sight better than the NES version
Fun arcadey timekiller and it's graphics are mostly dark on white making it more playable with the Gameboy's screen
Also
>Not buying a Gameboy Color
>>
>>2818376
I had a friend who swore up and down it was called "Race Driven"
>>
>>2813418
Original gb is great! Battery life lasts forever (I got over 40 hours out of it once) and it's nice and sturdy.

I can recommend the following
Mario 1 and 2. Very fun.
Pokemon. Great games.
Final fantasy legend 3. Good little rpg. Amazing soundtrack.
Tetris!
Bust-a-move/puzzle bobble is surprisingly playable in monochrome and as fun as ever.
Mega man 2. I have the others (pirate cart) but never really got that into them. 2 is great though.
Gauntlet 2. If you like gauntlet, this is probably the best portable version. Has voices!
Harvest moon. Missing the dating aspect but the first game works on original gb. Super comfy.
Lemmings. Works a bit differently to usual (odd grid system going on) but once you get past the quirks it's still fun.
Tmnt 3. It's turtles, but metroidy?

And finally the big one:

Link's awakening. You have have have to play this one.
>>
>>2819067
Oh shit yeah and donkey kong I forgot. I still need to get a copy of that...
>>
So much love for Link's Awakening :,3
>>
File: 1427502512616.jpg (415 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1427502512616.jpg
415 KB, 1280x1280
>>2813418
Wario Land 1 & 2.

If you upgrade to color try 3.
>>
>>2817935
#rekt
>>
>>2819067
>>2819229
Yeah I've heard that so many times I just have to buy that. How come is mega man v so expensive? Is it really that rare?
>>
HIJACKING THREAD, PLS HELP:
Searching for a forgotten title here, original game boy, not 100% sure if licensed, definitely not very popular, memory is so foggy, so not all the points below might be true. Sorry.

Here goes nothing:
- Hi-tech future setting
- Side view, you can move in all directions (4-way or 8-way?)
- You control a flying human like character, possibly wearing armor
- Armed with a fire arm or maybe rifle of some sort, you can shoot in any direction
- Levels look busy graphics wise, possibly maze like
- Wall and barriers made from tile like structures, like rounded but future looking
- Generally seem to remember it looking rather busy
- Power ups might have had kanji characters, possibly giving you like a shield made from objects orbiting you. Maybe you had that by default
- Generally there were Asian design elements. Seem to remember a snake like robotic dragon maybe?
- Shooting through barriers?
- Maybe auto scrolling, I just can't remember

I dunno man, fuck what was this game called?
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT GAME I'M TALKING ABOUT?
>>
File: 15876-46029.jpg (119 KB, 958x960) Image search: [Google]
15876-46029.jpg
119 KB, 958x960
>>2819960
nvm, people i've come to terms with the fact that it must be Burai Fighter Deluxe and it's probably the heaviest case of nostalgia goggles for me yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suUqogcHB70
>>
File: 2015-11-26 22.41.40.jpg (90 KB, 997x561) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-26 22.41.40.jpg
90 KB, 997x561
game boy games take me back. I'm with family for Thanksgiving and my dad brought up my old box of game boy stuff from home... pretty cool just for nostalgia factor. will probably go through it tomorrow to see if there anything good
>>
File: GBAreassembled.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
GBAreassembled.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1440
>tfw you will never come across an ags-101 you can afford that's broken so you can salvage the screen and not feel guilty about ruining it

I'll never get my backlit superior model ;_;
>>
>>2818917
Aparently it's dead pixels, the liquid spewed and i've been told there's no fix, but it's usually not abig deal if it's around the edges.
>>
>>2820507
I just did, a busted AGS and some guy is selling the ribbon cable for 50, sometimes life's just too good, MMZ Series is soooo underated.
>>
>>2820537
Can you give me your luck because I'm out
>>
>>2813451
Teenager detected
>>
>>2820372
Post results pls
>>
>>2819646
It was released late, in small numbers and is the only megaman title for the original gb with completely original bosses, levels and story (actually has dialogue and stuff!)

It's the most advanced and most complex of the lot. You get the rocket arm. I still prefer megaman 2 though. Possibly because all of mine are on one pirate cart and in japanese so I don't understand the shop...
>>
File: ss (2015-11-27 at 02.40.46).png (978 KB, 626x742) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-11-27 at 02.40.46).png
978 KB, 626x742
>tfw you royally fuck a shell replacement

Screen protector was installed off center, hinges don't work properly. Kill me
>>
>>2820532
Oh, far out. Thank you.

Dunno why my googling never came up with that answer.
>>
File: ss (2015-11-27 at 09.33.03).png (778 KB, 689x688) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-11-27 at 09.33.03).png
778 KB, 689x688
Can somebody help me with finding a particular part for my gba and gba sp?

I've sort of unintentionally screwed up the black sticky padding that goes around the actual lcd panel on both units, they're different obviously but they serve the same purpose. They're the one part I cannot find a replacement for, I'm hoping they're sold somewhere so I don't have to use my own adhesive strips.
>>
File: reactionimage5.gif (2 KB, 210x187) Image search: [Google]
reactionimage5.gif
2 KB, 210x187
>>2820372
>Gameboy Advance
>nostalgia
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
>>2817747
I can't see how you can recommend Gargoyles quest, the leveldesign was plain evil and really hard. If you want to recommend a platformer, why not go with Ducktales
>>
>>2821898
Its 2015 anon, why are you surprised.
>>
>>2813418
The smurfs game was actually pretty good and now looking back, it had some really good music tracks, such as the swamp level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDkhZ4Pe2HQ
>>
>>2821898
It was like, what, 14 years ago? Hell yeah I have nostalgia for the GBA. Especially WarioWare and Advance Wars.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (342 KB, 1000x946) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
342 KB, 1000x946
>>2820748
>>2820372

Random info for anyone who cares:
>I didn't always save boxes until I was a little older. I always saved manuals though. Link's Awakening was my first game boy game, so I kept that one.
>Kirby 2 is missing. Probably somewhere back home. Will look when I go home to see family for Christmas.
>Game Boy Camera didn't have anything funny or neat on it, I checked
>My dad didn't bring any of the GBA games. When I asked him why, he mumbled something about "not retro"
>Mary Kate and Ashley
>>
>>2821946

I still play Advance Wars every time I take a shit. Feels good man
>>
Looking to make use of my Super Game Boy, what are some worthwhile gb/compatible gbc games to play on it?
I don't really care if it has special content exclusive sgb content, I just want games that look nice being played on a TV.
The only games I have ever play on it are Pokemon Yellow, Donkey Kong, and FF Legend 2.
I also play Power Quest and Battle Arena Toshinden.
I'm particularly looking more for RPGs.
>>
>>2821910
easily, only the first 2 levels are especially difficult with a moderate curve and slight spike on last 2. and by the last 2 you should be maxed out with all weapons and if you found it the health-refill.
>>
Get an Everdrive-GB and grab games on this list.

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Boy
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.