[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
-
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10
File: aladdin.jpg (34 KB, 513x224) Image search: [Google]
aladdin.jpg
34 KB, 513x224
-
>>
Keywords for this thread:

Sword
Sprite Animation
Platforming
Tight Controls
Sega
Nintendo
Capcom
Virgin
Disney
Mikami
Perry
Hitbox
>>
File: The ride begins.jpg (54 KB, 534x650) Image search: [Google]
The ride begins.jpg
54 KB, 534x650
This thread again?
>>
>>2813240
What, nothing about the music? Did people realize that both soundtracks have amazing original tunes and thus it is impossible to prefer one over the other?
>>
>>2813246

In a way, it's cool.

I mean, for decades people kept thinking the Virgin game was objectively better because it sold more.

Now we can look back at both and make objective comparisons, and really the Virgin game isn't that great outside of sprite animations.
Gameplay is undeniably better on the Capcom game, and even if the sprite animation isn't as fluid, the overall game looks prettier on SNES, the background comparison on OP's pic is an example, lots of detail and colors on the Capcom game, while Virgin aladdin has very barren, empty backgrounds.
>>
File: Disney.png (1 MB, 1617x1045) Image search: [Google]
Disney.png
1 MB, 1617x1045
>>2813257
>implying people ever thought some american first-timer made a better platformer than Capcom at their absolute peak
>>
>>2813260
The meme was real.
>>
File: 1444871026.png (163 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1444871026.png
163 KB, 600x338
>>2813260
>Virgin
>American
Nice try, champ.
>>
>>2813257
Does it matter either way? There are people who legitimately like the SNES Jurassic Park better than the Genesis versions. I just think it's cool we got more games.
>>
>>2813367

It's cool because we get more people to try the Capcom Aladdin. A lot of people just diss it as a bad game because it doesn't have a sword or wasn't as popular as Virgin's game.

I agree it's cool we got different games, both are enjoyable.
>>
>>2813367
Of course it matters, when the next generation asks us for the best Jurassic Park game we can't start mincing words and they're not going to play multiple versions. Just tell them the SNES game has awesome music and they're sold.

>>2813371
I have never heard anyone diss it IRL, everyone I know loved it. The NES version was a famous joke though, I think it was released in '95 or something.
>>
>Disney animators did the pixel art for the genesis version
Pity given the game has that diarrhea colour palette.
>>
>>2813371
As I see it that's their problem if they dismiss it. But yeah, I enjoyed both as well.
>>
>>2813375
My point is they shouldn't be asking for "the best Jurassic Park game" like it's some pre-determined decision. They're different games and some people prefer one. I don't like the SNES game much at all, but I'm not everyone. If I told someone only the Genesis games are worth playing I'd be doing them a disservice.

If we're going to be going out of our way to teach anything to the next generation it should be to think for themselves and not just parrot the last, loudest opinion they heard.

Also, Genesis version has some awesome music as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1fF3DSErK4
>>
File: oob.webm (656 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
oob.webm
656 KB, 720x480
>>
>>2813232
Left, it looks more like the movie it's based on.
>>
>>2813257
>objective comparisons
>lists off a bunch of opinions

good job faggot
>>
>>2813773

What opinions?

The Capcom game has tighter controls compared to the wonky controls on the Virgin game.
The Capcom game has more detailed backgrounds than the Genesis game.
The sprite animation is better on the Virgin game.

Those are all objective comparisons, not opinions.
>>
>>2813786
>i like the look and feel of this one more
>this is not an opinion
good shit right there right there
>>
>>2813807
>i like the look and feel
Those words are not in the post you quoted.
>>
>>2813813
>I am a massive faggot
>>
>>2813807

I'm not talking about "feels" and "looks".
Capcom's game is heavily momentum-based platforming, without tight controls, the game would be unplayable given the level design.
For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fixsN-Dp6xo

The genie levels are the best example of this, if the game controlled like this: >>2813395

Aladdin's jumps would be so out of control and weightless that you'd have a hard time getting through all the tricky parts in the level.
The Virgin game is more designed around maze-like levels and fighting enemies with the sword/apples. In Capcom's game it's mostly jumping over enemies because it emphasizes the acrobatic gameplay.
It's not hard to figure out why the Capcom game has more precise controls and better designed levels, as Capcom had a lot of experience developing platformers and arcade games all throughout the 80s and early 90s, Virgin and Dave Perry were still experimenting a lot, and the floaty, not-so-precise controls of Aladdin carried over onto Perry's Earthworm Jim games (which I also love, by the way, but I admit the controls could be better).

The backgrounds, well, look at OP's pic. Do you think the Virgin one has more details?

The sprite animation is a lot more fluid on Virgin, as disney animators made them, and Dave Perry's team was pretty good at digitalizing hand-drawn animation into sprites for the Genesis, this was also seen on EWJ.

All of those are objective observations, and just in case I like both games, I'm not shitting on the Genesis game.
>>
>>2813786
you keep doing it you sperg lmao
>>
>>2813837

I'm deeply sorry if I somehow offended your childhood memories. By no means I'm saying the Virgin game is bad.
>>
File: skip.webm (309 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
skip.webm
309 KB, 720x480
>>
>>2813857
not him, but i think it has more to do with your arrogant tone. just because your opinions line up with what is probably the consensus, that doesn't make it an objective fact. presenting it as such makes you come off as a douche
>>
>>2813870

Nah, both are pretty good games. I played both when I was a kid, played them somewhat recently again, and I'm giving my observations (which I try to be as objective as possible, I'm not just saying "I like it more", I'm giving actual arguments and examples as to why I say what I say)

I don't think I'm arrogant, and also I'm not the one gratuitously insulting, bear that in mind.
>>
>>2813257
>and really the Virgin game isn't that great outside of sprite animations.

It's great because it has large levels with lots of hidden stuff and details, one of the best animations of the console generation, great colour contrast despite the Genesis small palette, good music and great sound effects, sword fighting where you can actually parry (causing blinding sparks), the gameplay is very action packed and the controls are momentum based, and the game looks like the movie did. Even sounds more like it, due to using its music.

And it has LOTS of humour and small details. Like the Goofy column on the desert, the sword jugglers' throw slicing your apples in half, the camel spit, the guards getting their legs burned on the fire pit, Abu doing backflips on a knocked out guard, the flamingos you can use as platforms, Iago losing feathers as you hit him, the Genie balloons looking down on you, and so on...

It's also pretty damn difficult too, which is good.

It has some downsides: the difficulty spikes too high on some levels, then gets lower on some later ones. And I dislike how those girls from the cavern got reused in the palace (they are the oddest enemies in the game, they look very out of place and have annoying hitboxes).

The Genesis game feels more like an action game, with more & funnier details and more open levels. The SNES game feels more like a generic happy happy fun fun platformer; and less of an Aladdin game. Not saying that it's a bad game, but it's not that good either.
>>
>>2813919
>sword fighting where you can actually parry
how?

>those girls from the cavern ... have annoying hitboxes
I think they just don't take damage unless you're looking away from them.
>>
File: Image1.jpg (213 KB, 1007x671) Image search: [Google]
Image1.jpg
213 KB, 1007x671
>>2813835
>Aladdin's jumps would be so out of control and weightless that you'd have a hard time getting through all the tricky parts in the level.

Could someone explain what they mean about the Genesis Aladdin having floaty controls?

They felt incredibly tight to me, plus they added an extra layer of controls by using your momentum to change the way you jump. You did a shorter hop if you jumped from standing or before you gained enough momentum, and you did a longer jump if you were running before. It feels perfectly logical to me, and the controls are extremely tight once you keep this in mind.

Or does it just have floaty controls because you can't grab onto the ledges or what?

>better designed levels

Most of the levels in the SNES game are linear and go from left to right. The Genesis ones are a lot more open, and yes, maze like.

>Do you think the Virgin one has more details?

It certainly doesn't lack them, unless you are cherry picking.

But basically, SNES game has better backgrounds, crap animation, while Genesis one has superb animation and less detailed backgrounds (and if you play them on real hardware and real CRT TV for the dithering to kick in, it'll also be pretty darn colourful as well).

Genesis one does seem to have way more levels of parallax though. Rug Ride was incredible. And all the levels played way faster.
>>
SNES version is better because it's on SNES on not the shitty Genesis.
>>
>>2813932
>how?

If you hit the muscular guard the same time he is hitting you, it's a sword parry. You can tell from the screen flashing a bit and it'll play a sound effect of metal clashing together. Neither you nor him will receive damage in that case.
Which is why it is difficult to just slash them down while facing them directly, it is better to use crouching hits which don't parry.

And when an enemy throws a sword at you (either the fat guy or the juggling fakir), you can deflect them with your own sword.

>I think they just don't take damage unless you're looking away from them.

That would make sense. I remember I just used to stand next to them and use the up+slash move until they died.
>>
File: AladdinSNES1.jpg (120 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
AladdinSNES1.jpg
120 KB, 640x480
>>2813962
>Genesis one does seem to have way more levels of parallax though

This part in the Capcom game has pretty great parallax, I don't remember much parallax in other levels (maybe on the cave/laval levels), but this part with the palace on the back was really great, and has multiple layers.

I did think the controls on Genny Aladdin felt floaty, and I had some trouble landing on some platforms (especially on that level in the screenshot you posted). It's not bad, but I felt it could be better.
>>
>>2813969

It's funny how some people still think like that unironically
>>
>>2813969

nice falseflag
>>
>>2813978
>I had some trouble landing on some platforms (especially on that level in the screenshot you posted).

The only thing hard to land on that level were the rocks that moved in-out from the background, and that was primarily due to their hitbox, not the jump physics.

Unless you mean the 2 separate jumps making things too difficult for you.

>>2813969
This guy pretty much summed it up. Sega makes shit games today, so their old games must be shit too.
>>
>>2813996
>This guy pretty much summed it up. Sega makes shit games today, so their old games must be shit too.

Come on, he's falseflagging or just baiting.

Also neither Aladdin game was by Sega or Nintendo. This is Capcom vs Virgin.
>>
>>2814002
>Also neither Aladdin game was by Sega or Nintendo. This is Capcom vs Virgin.

Do you actually think normies have the brain capacity to figure that one out? It's all just Sega or Nintendo or Sony or Xbox to them.

Heck, I'm collecting Megadrive & Saturn games and my mom sent me a couple of copies of Total War & its expansions she picked up on a boot sale, because she knows I like Sega games and those discs had the Sega logo on them. They are a pretty fucking far cry from Radiant Silvergun or Streets of Rage 2...
>>
File: cavern.webm (355 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
cavern.webm
355 KB, 854x480
>>2813976
ah, alright. I was imagining a separate control for "block" or whatever.

and yeah, you can actually just kinda run past them and swing as you go. semi-cheesing
>>
>>2814012
>ah, alright. I was imagining a separate control for "block" or whatever.

Well it's not a fighting game so no. But I think it's one of those neat little details that blows your mind. Like when you try throwing apples on the juggling fakir, and his swords cut your thrown apples in half.
>>
SNES version is much superior
>>
Genesis version is much superior
>>
Both are good, but if I had to play one of these nowadays, I'd choose the SNES game

>>2813835
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fixsN-Dp6xo

This level was so much fun, the person playing it makes it look easier than it really is.
>>
>>2813240
dude spoiler that. I wanted to read the thread.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.