[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm playing this and fuck, it's hard and i find this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: Super_Mario_Land.jpg (71 KB, 326x333) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_Land.jpg
71 KB, 326x333
I'm playing this and fuck, it's hard and i find this weird since i'm pretty good at Super Mario Maker
>>
Jesus Christ I was just about to post a thread about this game no joke.

About how this game doesn't get any love or nods in new Mario games like going be to this area etc.

Let's also mention it has to me, without a doubt the best theme from ANY Mario game ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z856QDHL3-Q
>>
Mario Maker uses the modern jumping physics, even on the older sprites.

You're probably having difficulties with the more archaic physics. It takes time to read apt if you've never played them before.

You'll get it and you'll like it when you finally adapt.
>>
>>2812065
It's not. It's easy, you're bad.

>>2812076
It has the best soundtrack from the 2D Mario's.

And it's better than SML2.
>>
>>2812082
Oh shit I thought this was the sequel.

Nah, this game was hard as tits for a few reasons. Mostly that it was built under the "difficulty equals time spent playing" concept. The main game if played correctly can be beaten in under 40 minutes, if memory serves. The problem is the play speed as well as the crazy physics.

But that's just my opinion, mostly.
>>
Just play it. Like every other game, you get good the more you practice.
I can literally beat it in 15 minutes so just keep at it.
>>
>>2812090
I think that the problem are the physics, sometimes it's hard to reach a platform when you try to jump, but the game is fun.
>>
>>2812095
Yeah, i guess, it's more about practice.
>>
>Super Mario Land sold over 18 million copies—more than that of Super Mario Bros. 3

Shigeru Miyamoto is still butthurt it's not his Mario game it's #4 on Mario sales. So he doesn't bring Mario or even Daisy back to this land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAQcF03K5P8
>>
>>2812065
>it's hard
This game was easy peasy. I must have beat it when I was like 8, and I couldn't beat anything else back then.
>>
>>2812152
it's a troll thread, the levels in mario maker are more sadistic than any official mario game
>>
>>2812157
>the jap levels in mario maker are more sadistic than any official mario game

Also OP here, i am not saying it's soo hard, i managed to get to world 4, i just fucked up, gonna try it in a few hours.
>>
Amazing game. Short and easy, but so many ideas that will never be replicated in a Mario ever again

it's also the Mario 1 sequel that Lost Levels should have been
>>
File: RetroArch-1105-034122.png (4 KB, 640x576) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-1105-034122.png
4 KB, 640x576
It's hard because the physics are crap. Many of the later, difficult levels would actually be fun if changing direction/speed in midair wasn't so broken.

If it had SMW's physics we'd all beat the game first time through no sweat in ~25 minutes, so they had to pad it out with some cheap deaths.
>>
I found it hard too until i made it a rule of thumb to never run unless absolutely necessary. also soundtrack is amazing.
>>
>>2812309
It's not hard at all...

Not to mention there are countless extra lives, and the whole game is 12 levels.

Not to mention 2 of those 12 are shooter levels
>>
>>2812082
>You're probably having difficulties with the more archaic physics

Weird word choice. There's nothing "archaic" about the physics in the game. They're just different, not worse or better.
>>
>>2812309
When I played it I also had the feeling that the physics feel really weird and I died a ton because something was glitchy. I wonder if it was made on purpose that way. The music is still great though and the theme of real world plus aliens was something different
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-22-23-47-35.png (339 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-22-23-47-35.png
339 KB, 1440x2560
>>2812423
>>
>>2812065
It's not that bad. You're just used to different controls for Mario. The game is actually pretty easy and meant to be completed in a short sitting.

I beat it within the first day of getting it. Fortunately, it was just a borrow.
>>
>>2812502

Yeah. How are they "old fashioned"? How are they obsolete? How are they out of date? Who are they antiquated? How are they no longer in every day use?

Great argument, there.
>>
>>2815096
The jump physics (and platform physics in general of Mario games) aren't the same now as they were then. That's all. They aren't in use.

The dev notes on Mario Maker comment that when using the classic sprites, the original intention was to use the original jump physics in the original games, but the beta testers as well as market testers found them too difficult to adapt to compared to the newer one.

So yeah. Old fashioned. Not used anymore.

The definition fits, cunt.
>>
>>2812065
>it's hard
But it's piss easy.
>>
>>2812065
This game has completely fucked physics.
Like, it all works, but its far from the Mario standard.

Still neat in a way. Mostly because of the different settings, enemies and music.
>>
>>2815296
I dont truly believe this. The different Mario Maker styles do aim to play like the older games up to a degree.
Its not like they slapped on the NSMB movement onto everything.

I think they simply didnt manage to fully recreate them. There's some small inconsistencies with object properties too. Like you cant spinjump onto certain things you could jump onto in World as an example.
>>
>>2812065
Keep at it, OP. If Arino can beat it, so can you.
>>
>>2812076
Wouldn't Daisy appearing in new games count as a nod? One of the tracks got a remix for Brawl and it was added again in SB4.
>>
C'mon op, that's not hard.
The first and second stages are enough for you to get used to the controls.

If even so it feels hard, then you are the issue.
>>
>>2812309
SMW easily had superior physics, but SML physics are not hard in the slightest. They're precise and easy --- but there's no momentum or sliding, so they're boring.
>>
>they didnt play the androidarts romhack
plebs
>>
File: image.png (849 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
849 KB, 640x1136
Just wait for the final boss ....
>>
Also the music in the original is great
>>
I usually beat it in 20 minutes and I'm terrible at games.
>>
>>2817207
>One of the tracks got a remix for Brawl
Which one?
>>
>SML
>hard

You probably play your NES games with a GameGenie.
>>
>>2818039
Too easy for you?
>>
>>2816395
He's saying SML land physics are archaic because they are really simple and very rigid. They aren't the more elaborate physics of later games. What the fuck are you on about, it's accurate to describe them as "archaic" because compared to newer games they are wonky as fuck because of how they were programmed. What is your problem
>>
>>2812065
it's not hard
but the control is really fucking different

Hell, other than it having Mario and the powerups, it feels only barely like a Mario game. I like it still, and kind of wished it was longer (first time I beat it, I was like, "that's it?").

the game also hands out lives like candy
>>
>>2819179
>What is your problem
Seems obvious enough; anon, a retro enthusiast jaded by thousands of millenials who see his entire collection as obsolete throwbacks, took the term archaic as an insult to the entirety of his hobby and let his over sensitivity take flight.

See also
●Autism
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MusQqQVvuFQ
>>
>>2819184
>the game also hands out lives like candy

This holy shit. If I don't have at least 30 lives by the end, I feel like I've failed.
>>
>>2812065
Is this the first game with a New Game Plus?

Also, I was never able to beat the NG+, furthest I got was the ship level
>>
>>2820416
They called it a second loop in arcades, Nintendo used to called it second quest for some reason.
>>
>>2820416
No, even Super Mario Bros. has a second quest.

New Game + is when you can start with your characters from the end of the last game a la Chrono Trigger.
>>
You're trash m8. It's a 25 minute game. How.
>>
>>2812065
>beat the game once on normal, then again on hard
>unlock stage select
>implying you give a fuck about an unlockable stage select after you just cleared the game twice
>on a game with no save feature

Honestly, beating the game on hard should have given you a stage select code instead.
>>
>>2820487
Yeah. Also, after choosing in the stage select, you have to keep going through the rest of the stages. It should give you the option to go back to the select or something.
>>
>>2812065
OP has like 12 yo and its butthurt cause can't deal with the real difficulty of a super mario game.

I bet that he hates everything before SMW
>>
>>2821127
>difficulty
>mario games
It's like I'm in a parallel universe.
>>
>>2812107
>Muda Kingdom
>>
>>2819205
You were doing so well until the shitposting kicked in.
>>
That's odd, I just recently started to play this and it's pretty easy.
>>
>>2818085
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0IhWGUFljk
>>
>>2815296
>The dev notes on Mario Maker comment that when using the classic sprites, the original intention was to use the original jump physics in the original games, but the beta testers as well as market testers found them too difficult to adapt to compared to the newer one.
Then why just not just choose a better "Mario"? what a dumb decision, could have been pretty cool to have all those physics options, kinda like Hyper Street Fighter 2.
>>
>>2822106
the target demographic for that thing aren't neckbeards
>>
>>2819707
that guy needs a channel reviewing games
>>
Love SML, great game.

I get why someone would call the physics archaic, they're certainly limited by the Gameboy's capabilities. The first SMB actually had physics that were more developed. In Land, Mario doesn't slow down during a jump as he approaches its apex, and doesn't accelerate as he falls back down. There's a very uniform vertical speed. His ground movement is also less subtle and as such less controllable than in other Marios. Press right or left once and he'll take two steps instead of one, that's just how he moves in SML and it can make positioning yourself at the edge of the platform while you run kind of tricky, since when you press a Mario jumps at the end of the 'two step animation' instead of right as you press the button.

I'm not bringing this up to talk down the game, like I said I love SML. Despite all these things it's a game with amazing music, scenery and atmosphere, but most importantly it's just incredibly fun to play. It can put you in a good mood like very few other games, even other Marios, can. A game doesn't have to be perfect to be fantastic.

Also OP when you're done with it play the sequel because that shit is so fucking premium you don't even know.
>>
I also like Super Mario Land but I also want to mention that I was really blown away the first time playing Mario Land 2.
>>
>>2822378
The difference between the two games in terms of content is pretty staggering.
>>
File: Super_Mario_Land_2_box_art.jpg (33 KB, 300x268) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_Land_2_box_art.jpg
33 KB, 300x268
>>2824203
Indeed, the jump was so big from one game to the other.
>>
>>2824471
warios' first appearance,I loved this game
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.