[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /vr/'s stance on Let's Plays? Are there any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 3
File: 1409521782131.gif (180 KB, 404x416) Image search: [Google]
1409521782131.gif
180 KB, 404x416
What is /vr/'s stance on Let's Plays?

Are there any good Youtubers who focus on retro games?
Is there any audience for those kind of videos?
>>
I liked deceased crab suffering through la mulana, but after I played the game I am annoyed I ruined the game for myself.

On the other hand I'm glad he introduced me to it, and I beat the older version too. (but I never finished hell temple.)

He's sucked lately though.

I used to watch AVGN too, but he really did go downhill a lot.

I wouldn't argue with anyone saying face cams are cancer and virtually all the channels are crap, but I do watch them sometimes.
>>
"Let's Play" is what I say to someone when we're actually going to fucking play something.

They should call those videos "Let's fucking watch somebody else play"s
>>
>>2811884
I would say Continue Quest, maybe?
>>
>>2811884
i don't like lets plays but i like informative videos about retro games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfh0ytz8S0k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdUZfpcpt5s
>>
>>2811884
It seems like a lot of people don't get the appeal. Personally, I don't really understand why people watch streams of people playing games they've never played. Its great to get reviews for that stuff, especially for arcane shit that isn't intuitive or just to get a preview of a game that never landed on my radar.

What I do enjoy are watching people play games that I'm fairly good at myself, because you can see how someone handled a situation differently or better than you did. Watching Mike Matei play Zelda II was kind of fun, because he's not really good at it in that he was just plowing through the game hitting confirm at every level up and not really planning on upping attack first and trying to maximize XP return from the temples, so when he finished the 6th temple he had to go grind on those spiders you need Fire to kill. Then at the last temple he never really figured out how to fight some of the bird knights in the rooms where they are piss easy to kill. But at least it was still interesting to watch.
>>
Friend simulators for 12 year olds. Also not /vr/
>>
>>2811976
pretty much this, I'd rather watch longplays or speedruns
>>
>>2811912
>I liked deceased crab
You what.
>>
>>2812007
HUZAAH
I watched his la mulana videos too. It's alright.
>>
>>2811884
I've been kind of into Psychedelic Eyeball's Commodore 64 crypt series lately. I was an Apple II kid, so it's all new to me, and each video provides a concise but thorough overview of an individual game.

His System Shock 2 playthrough is pretty cool as well, I've played that game a lot of times but I always found the OSA tree too much of a pain in the neck to bother with, but watching him do it kind of makes me want to after all.

The only problem you might have with him is his incredibly thick Quebecois accent. If you can live with that, he's great.
>>
The only Let's Player I've ever had any care in watching again is Croooow!!!.

He only plays Pinball now but he had a ton of older Crow Plays.
>>
>>2812007
I like him too. He introduced me to a bunch of really good games like cave story, hydra castle labyrinth, sweet home, and shadowgate. I'm too much of a wimp to try la mulana.
>>
>>2811884
I love Let's Plays, but my game skills are poor so I like to see a game played right.
>>
>>2811884

Frankomatic almost exclusively does really old retro games, mostly Commodore 64 stuff. I think he's good.
>>
>>2812043
You should try la mulana or la mulana 2. The main game isn't very hard. Some of the bosses are challenging, which is good. It doesn't get hard hard until hell temple.

You've even had most of the puzzles spoiled by watching him so that's not hard either.

I can't wait for LM 2 so I can play it without being spoiled.
>>
>>2812198
I've only watched one or two episodes of his la mulana playthrough, actually. I was under the impression that it expects you to know a lot from the start. I'll try playing it someday.
>>
>>2812213
The main thing is to get a notebook to write shit down, and maybe even draw maps for awhile. Sometimes hand drawn maps will be better than the game maps because you can write notes on them.
>>
LPers are a bunch of whiny faggots. Who the fuck wants to watch some kek play a game for 40 hours when they could just play it themselves? Fuck Twitch streamers too. HEY GUYS, DONATE AND SUPPORT. Why the fuck would I do that?? LPers and streamers are cancerous and everyone is hopping on that stupid fucking bandwagon.
>>
It's kind of a saturated genre. Due to the booming popularity of gaming on YouTube, everyone's making Let's Plays. Unlike a speedrun video, the main focus is the commentary; there's are fine line between boring and annoying that the commentator has to walk, and sadly not many of them end up making entertaining videos.

That said, they're a good way to learn a foreign language.
>>
>>2812582
>Who the fuck wants to watch some kek play a game for 40 hours when they could just play it themselves?

Remember when you used to go to the arcade and you'd just stand there and watch some other kid play? Maybe you'd get in a few plays yourself, but for the most part you'd just watch other, usually better kids play. You'd learn strategies, tricks, maybe even chat with them if they weren't too intensely involved with the game.

Let's plays are the modern internet equivalent of that.
>>
Text-based LP like those on the LP Archive are better than the video based ones.

Probably because you don't get to hear any pointless banter or unfunny jokes.
>>
This let's play it's pretty interesting:
http://lparchive.org/Half-Life-2/
>>
>>2812756
>unfunny jokes.
Not really, SA's let's plays are choke full of those no matter the format. Add in some complaining about social justice issues.
>>
>>2812715
>Remember when you used to go to the arcade
That would require him being older than 15.
>>
I like retsupurae.
>>
The occasional one where a single person plays while calmly talking about the game with a good microphone can be okay. I don't watch them often or for long.
>>
Live event speedruns for charities where they use a trick are neat if they're not too long. That's how I learned Small Fire. Now I get all the pussy with my mad Mario skills, yo.
>>
>>2811884
My favorite Let's Player was Sirronlionheart but he died and broke my heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHTbYky-2JU&list=PL51DF565F92D8F5C2

Godspeed, Sirronlionheart.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfB-2_09D50

That's the kind of let's plays I like to see, just a obese mentally ill man screaming AUGH YEAH FOLKS every 5 seconds and actually enjoying himself while playing on a crappy clone console and a crappy little 13" CRT FOLKS, AUGH YEAH FOLKS, HERE COME THE FLYING FISH, I'M SO SCARED lol :D
>>
>>2811884
I don't understand them or why people watch them. If emulation wasn't as widespread and easy ass it is, or for new games that don't have demos it can be a decent way to see some gameplay that hasn't been cherry picked by the developer.

But for retro games, I don't get it at all. Why would you watch someone else play something when in the same amount of time you could be doing it yourself? It sometimes feels like people just want opinions and experiences spoonfed to them.

>Ghouls n' Ghosts is supposed to be pretty tough, maybe I'll watch this guy try it
>Watches some youtuber struggle for a while or play really well
>Interesting, now that I've seen it and absorbed the opinion of the guy who I watched play it I can now spread this opinion myself!

That might be an exaggeration, but it really feels like that at times.
>>
>>2811884
I don't understand why somebody would want to watch some obnoxious unfunny faggot play a video game badly.
Stop making these trash threads.
>>
>>2812715
>Let's plays are the modern internet equivalent of that.

Except it isn't, most LP'ers don't even play that good. Besides most of them are talking for hours before beginning the game they're supposed to play.
>>
>>2811938
Thanks for posting that. 8-bit Guy's stuff is pretty great. Love informative stuff like that.
>>
>>2812715
LPs aren't the equivalent of arcades at all. You'd watch people play to see what the game is like, then maybe you'd play them. Maybe you'd wait for them to leave so you could play alone. Arcades were social. LPs are faggotry.
>>
>>2812715
>Let's plays are the modern internet equivalent of that.

Not even close.
>>
>>2813267
>But for retro games, I don't get it at all. Why would you watch someone else play something when in the same amount of time you could be doing it yourself?

I mostly look up gameplay videos to see how the fuck other people play old games that I have no idea how they're supposed to work. Like 8 Eyes. The description I hear is that it's like a co-op castlevania, but actually playing it, the enemies have better reach and swing faster than the player, so I'm sitting there thinking "what am I doing wrong?", so I go look up a play through and see how other people get through the game.

The problem is the huge amounts of idiocy that get uploaded because some people post videos just to hear themselves try and force jokes. Those ones are fucking terrible. It really demonstrates the bottom of the barrel of uploaded videos. The hard part is trying to separate out people who comment, but make useful commentary like interesting things to know about the game or tips and tricks.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/user/KingThantosGaming

What you guys think about this guy?
>>
>>2811884
They -can- be good, but there's things to balance, and most obviously don't.

>type of game
>how long the videos are
>if they show all of it, or if it's an incredibly long winding game and they show highlights (such as Sim City, you obviously can't show all your gameplay)
>if the presenter(s) are funny or otherwise interesting
>if they are NOT annoying and grating
>if they can present the game in an interesting manner

I recall this guy called Frankomatic (I think), made a fairly entertaining LP of Wizards & Warriors, an old childhood favorite of mine, it's sometimes interesting to hear someone else's perspective on some games.

Then there's that Ross guy who did Freeman's Mind, roleplaying the player character and putting a screwball comedy spin on the game by inventing a narrative for Gordon Freeman, an inner monologue, paintings him as a bizarre shyster and an eccentric, as well as lampshading a lot of the pecularities of the game and it's levels, how there's parts of the Black Mesa mega complex that are absolutely, mindbogglingly strange or outright stupid (if you think about it, there are very few of the facilities that aren't either needlessly expensive, doesn't violate OSHA in at least multiple ways, or both).
Fantastic game, one of my absolute favorites, but if you look at some of the things and take them at face value, Half-Life is fucking surreal, but I also love it for it, it melds a (pretty decent) attempt at realism with crazy videogame logic.

I like to put on an LP that I know I will like on occasion, in the background, and then play something on my PS3 or 3DS.
>>
>>2813353
This.

And for OP I'd like to think most of /vr/ doesn't care for them as it is possibly a slightly older crowd here and can see how stupid this LP garbage is.

also
>NOT RETRO
>>
>>2813491
meant to quote >>2813301

and don't forget to sage when posting in this shit thread :)
>>
>>2813453
That sounds fair. I've never been used to there being gameplay videos of that sort around so any time I was stuck I went checking faqs and forums. I guess it's about the same thing.

>>2813491
Even if you don't like them, people talking about reto gaming are still fine topics of discussion here.
>>
>>2813267
>Why would you watch someone else play something when in the same amount of time you could be doing it yourself?
Just regular human laziness, the shortest way, you could go look up [game], spend time downloading it, setting up the emulator/dosbox/whatever/dealing with some faggot copy protection, then spend time playing it, and there's no promises that you'll enjoy it.

Or, you see "Let's Play [game]" or "[game] review", it has an eyecatching thumbnail, you click it, and you get an idea pretty quickly on what the game is, and you can make a decision from there.

Also, just because there are LP'ers I like it doesn't mean I sit down and watch anything, Christ, no, it's saturated, of course most aren't going to be good. There's millions of Minecraft LPs but none of us here have any reasons to sit through that.

>friend simulator
I genuinely do not understand this meme, is it from /v/? Do they think only asocial kids watch this? You know they watch this together during breaks with their pads and phones, and that they talk to each other about it. Do you think PDP would be so obscenely wealthy if only the shut-ins and loners watched him fagging about?

When I was young kids would talk about AVGN, and if the school computers would have had speakers they would have went and watched his videos right there, together.

>12 year olds
I don't really care, I'm not there for the audience. Also, what are the chances of some 12yo watching some LP footage of say, Powerslave/Exhumed, unless he actually has an interest in old games like that, and if so isn't it just a good thing that he gets exposed to an old classic he'll probably enjoy? If he sees that game and thinks "Holy shit, that's crunk daddy-o!" (kids talk like this, right?), and then he wants to play it for himself, has there been some kind of harm?
>>
>>2813540
>Just regular human laziness, the shortest way, you could go look up [game], spend time downloading it, setting up the emulator/dosbox/whatever/dealing with some faggot copy protection, then spend time playing it, and there's no promises that you'll enjoy it.

Do people really download roms individually still? I assumed anyone who was into emulating even a little just grabbed complete rom dumps.

So for me the difference is between booting something up and being able to immediately see and play the game for myself. Of course there's no promise that I'll enjoy it, but there's no promise if Mr Let's Play tells me it's good that I'll enjoy it either.

At least this way I get to experience it formyself and decide from there. To each their own, I just don't understand wanting to watch someone else do something and describe it to me when I could be just doing it myself and forming my own opinion.
>>
>>2813540
>If he sees that game and thinks "Holy shit, that's crunk daddy-o!" (kids talk like this, right?), and then he wants to play it for himself, has there been some kind of harm?

With many fanbases on 4chan, you'll notice a ton of people who are with them to be part of a sekrit klub.
>>
>>2813545
Well emulators are obviously a walk in the park (until we get to 5th gen home consoles, N64 emulation is still absolutely terrible to this day), but a DosBox involves manual typing and then configuring, and then there's games which simply can't run on modern systems without you knowing how to virtual machine.

If I look up a LP of say, True Lies for the SNES or Genesis, I'll see that it's a top down kind of shooter, I'll see how Arnold moves about on the screen, I'll see how the enemies behave, how the guns handle, what kind of action to expect in general. I obviously don't get to experience the controls, but compare that to just hearing the name, and then learning that it's a movie license game, my first instinct would be "those are never good" and I wouldn't be inclined to play it, because most movie license games just aren't good, and it would be safe for me to assume this one isn't different, even though it actually is quite decent for it's kind.

Watching a few minutes of an LP can encourage me to check the game out by myself, or if I don't like what I see, I've saved some time.
>>
>>2813590
Well, ok, so some brat comes into a general and decides this interests him, why wouldn't he check out the game for himself?
I don't care about Katawa Shouji, so why would I ever go to /ksg/?
>>
>>2813545

In the age of emulation there are just SO MANY retro games available to play instantly that picking one can be overwhelming, or it can condition you to try every game for 5 seconds and quit if you're not immediately hooked (which is a bad habit). A good Let's Play is entertaining in and of itself and can manage to "sell" games to interested watchers.
>>
>>2813730
I get that, it's just from my perspective you could have learned all that for yourself but also been able to experience first hand how the controls work.

And it would take the same amount of time compared to watching a let's play assuming you downloaded a rom dump at some point. I see it as the difference between wanting to experience something for yourself and wanting to have the experience relayed to you.

Also the assumption that licensed games are probably going to be bad is foolish. The 16 bit era especially had quite number of good to great licensed games.
>>
>>2813750
>picking one can be overwhelming
> it can condition you to try every game for 5 seconds and quit if you're not immediately hooked

I think this must be some weird generational thing, it makes no sense to me at all. When I see the huge number of games, many of which I still haven't tried it just makes me excited.

But then I also don't understand actively wanting someone else to give me a preformed opinion on something when in the same amount of time I could experience it myself and form my own opinion.
>>
I miss text Let's Plays. Nowadays it feels like all those video LPs are all about the personality of the player, not about the game. Plus I can't really stand someone randomly yelling at a game for hours, I want to take it in at my own pace. Meanwhile text LPs could offer wit and humor while also explaining the game at a decent depth. I still re-read lparchive regularly and wish more people did that, but yelling on camera is simply more lucrative.
>>
>>2811884
Gaming Wildlife is highly entertaining.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBwcqcC5VvE

This one is good.
>>
SirRonlionheart and Cr1tikal are top tier.
>>
>>2813776
Having many choices can make it more difficult to make a choice and that choice can be less satisfying because of it. This isn't a generational thing, studies have proven this.

I still don't see the entertainment aspect or appeal of Lets Plays though which is a generational thing.
>>
>>2813968
I'm 27 and don't mind Let's Plays from time to time, especially if the player is skilled and is focused on actual gameplay commentary with the occasional joke as opposed to "Ohhh.... uggghhh... why does my fucking emulator keep crashing!? Fuuccccckk.... Dammit, cat, get away from me, can't you see I'm playing games here!? So yeah, this afternoon I went to the... uhh... to the... Shit, I died again. This stupid game is impossible. *State 286 Loaded*"
>>
>>2813876
Is that the man of the hour?
>>
>>2811928
>Let's play
>Let us play
>Let us play while you watch.

The name's perfect.
>>
>>2812213
No video game expects you to know stuff from the start. You're supposed to go in knowing nothing, die, then start over knowing the thing that killed you and rinse and repeat until you win.
>>
>>2811884
It's entirely subjective, since it hinges entirely on the personality playing.

Gamegrumps vs Clement, for example.
>>
>>2814019
Do you come from some alternate dimension where games never came with instruction manuals?
>>
>>2813990
I'm not above watching someone play a video game if I can learn something from it. What you describe is exactly what I think of when I hear Let's Play. Watching someone who is skillful and knowledgeable about a game I am familiar with can be interesting though like a speedrun, preferably not AGDQ. I don't need to see someones dumb face welcome me to a video and remain on the screen the whole time though.
>>
>>2811884
/vr/ loves let's plays since they cannot stop sucking on Arino's 5cm erect cock.
>>
>>2814029
Yeah, this place called "being poor" and buying games used.

Never stopped me from beating the 3 games I owned (usually a really obtuse movie tie in game) completely.
>>
>>2814003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeJyorNbvWg
>>
I use Lets Plays as a video gamefaqs guide.
If I dont understand how to hurt a boss, I search a Lets Play to see how someone managed to beat it.

I dont watch Lets Plays for fun though, I think it would spoil you of games you havent played yet.
>>
>>2814019
>No video game expects you to know stuff from the start

There are a whole bunch of games that expect you to know shit from the start, especially the further back you go as far as release year. For a good 2 decades games expected you to read the manual before you played the game, and early programmers who didn't have a good design background would pull shit that will kill you if you don't know about it ahead of time.

It's like playing Simon, except instead of being shown a pattern and then expecting the player to replicate the order, they expect you to replicate the order blindly. While it can be done with enough time and patience, it's not like that type of thing is particularly fun, especially when you don't have a lot of time to just fuck around.
>>
>>2811884
They can be done well, but I haven't seen any I like in a long time.

I feel the focus should be on the game, not the person playing it, unfortunately YouTube at large disagrees.
>>
>>2811928
Originally they were playing together. On Something Awful people'd take commands from the forum and play the game that way, so it was actually interactive.

That eventually morphed into a Video LP, and from there the whole interactivity thing was dropped.
>>
Any good girl let's players that are really cute? doesn't matter what game, people like Augustgirl515
>>
>>2813469
>if you think about it, there are very few of the facilities that aren't either needlessly expensive, doesn't violate OSHA in at least multiple ways, or both
So, an accurate depiction of a military facility built by private contractors?
>>
>>2813730
>If I look up a LP of say, True Lies for the SNES or Genesis, I'll see that it's a top down kind of shooter, I'll see how Arnold moves about on the screen, I'll see how the enemies behave, how the guns handle, what kind of action to expect in general.
But you can get that from a raw gameplay video
>>
>>2814146
>Augustgirl515
Well with those standards, every single let's player girl in the world, I guess.
>>
I like comparing how other people got through certain sections of a game compared to myself. Sometimes they continuously stumble on something I cleared instantly or sometimes they master something that took me awhile to do. It's fun to see different people's mindsets while playing a game.There are also people like HCBailey who know certain games inside and out. It's cool to watch people who have an extensive knowledge of every nook and cranny of a game.

In the past couple years people on Steam have been constantly pumping out Youtube fodder. Games solely made to be played in 10 minute chunks. They hand out free copies of their game to big name lets players so that they can both attract legions of 12 year old kids.Typically these games are either shitty jump scare "horror" games or unfunny SO RANDUM XD affairs. Chances are if a Youtuber has any of those games on their channel they aren't worth watching. It's a pretty efficient bar.
>>
>>2814241
Also avoid people who use face cam. It's a tell tale sign that their videos are less about the game and more about them.
>>
I don't know if this counts, but I like the CRPG Addict. He doesn't do videos, he just plays games and writes his impressions of him on his blog.
>>
Proteus4994's LP of Daikatana is pretty good.
>>
>>2814241
I agree with this. I enjoyed watching the Let's Play by Run Button (a duo) through Silent Hill. None of my friends have played it, and I was curious to see other reactions to the game, especially because it plays on so many of the player's expectations. It's also amusing in the same way that watching any horror game or movie with a friend is when you are the only one that knows a scare is about to occur.

The two guys were actually pretty funny to listen to, which made it enjoyable when they fuck up (as everyone has at some point) obvious puzzles and such. I like seeing the full thinking process of other players (as opposed to something like Pewdiepie, who just edits the videos and uses walkthroughs to make the videos more fast-paced).

Also, LPs let me get my game fix while I am eating dinner or something and aren't in the mood for a movie or documentary instead.

link to the playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ8Er5MR1Cs&index=1&list=PL44442E102EC984C7
>>
実況プレイ
>>
I have a very shitty PC and there are games I can't play, so I like watching LPs to at least experience the game in some way. I'm just talking about non-retro LPers, because the retro games, those I can play.
>>
>>2813420
>>2813436
>>2813353
>Watch someone else play.
>See what the game is like before you play.
>Maybe even chat if it's a live stream.

Yeah. It is.
>>
>>2813756
>The 16 bit era especially had quite number of good to great licensed games.
Eeeh, it was a bit better, since the majority wasn't published by LJN anymore (though they published True Lies, probably the best title to their name ever).
I can't think of a whole lot of movie license games for the SNES or Genesis that are beyond just average.
True Lies is pretty good, and Stargate is surprisingly good once you figure out what you're supposed to do and how the controls work (they're quite free and versatile for a 16-bit sidescroller).

Note that I'm not talking about licenses of cartoons and comics, there were great games from Disney, Warner, DC and Marvel, what I mean is major motion pictures.
>>
>>2813776
>But then I also don't understand actively wanting someone else to give me a preformed opinion on something when in the same amount of time I could experience it myself and form my own opinion.

Well, it could be a guy who's opinion I trust on some matters.
I disagree a lot with some people who's opinion I often value.

I think Ross's Game Dungeon is pretty nice, but I think he's outright wrong on some subjects.

>>2814019
Not everything has to be Dark Souls.

>>2814157
Heh.

>>2814163
I don't really bother making a distinction between LP and gameplay footage, sometimes there's a gut talking over the footage, usually I ignore him unless he's legit funny or catch my interest.
Some LPers do games or mods nobody else simply have footage of too. Some just play the game and don't talk over it.
>>
>/vr/ unironically has Let's Play threads now

Holy shit this place is fucked
>>
>>2815495
>people try to look at something objectively instead of kneejerking and posting memes
The end of days.
>>
>>2815546
Objectively this isn't /vr/ related. I don't see any discussion of retro systems or games. Just e-celebs personal lives.
>>
>>2815571
>people talking about 16bit license games
>mentions of Wizards & Warriors
>people talking about Half-Life
>people talking about how most LPs are shit and to avoid the ones with cams in the corners
I don't think I've seen anyone here talking about anyone's personal life, unless you count that guy saying his favorite LPer died.

I get that you don't like these threads but you don't have to make up bullshit.
>>
>>2813491
>talking about LPing old games
>old games aren't retro
Dumb.

>>2812763
What is it with SA and becoming Social Justice Keks?

>>2813301
>>2813353
Why the fuck do you conflate ALL Let's Players with the majority?
Why wouldn't you only watch the few that are actually good?

Most stand-up comedians are unfunny as shit (that's why only a few get famous), that doesn't mean there aren't good ones.
Are there atrocious stand-up comedians who are inexplicably famous? Yes, but that shouldn't take away from the ones who are good, the existance of Carlos Mencia l does not invalidate the existance Dave Chappelle, likewise, the existance of PewDiePie doesn't invalidate the existance of Frankomatic.
Most Hollywood action movies are hot garbage but we still all love Die Hard, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
>>
File: 1423701434702.png (34 KB, 223x223) Image search: [Google]
1423701434702.png
34 KB, 223x223
>>2813060
>tfw used to enjoy JewWario's Famicom vids.
>>
>>2815493
>Not everything has to be Dark Souls.

Yeah, and not every game has to be Elmo's Letter Hunt either. Why do you feel so entitled to victory on your first attempt?
>>
>>2815876
Not him, but why do you care so much what kind of games some stranger on the internet likes to play?
>>
>>2815894
When somebody disagrees with me it makes me feel alone in the universe, floating in an endless void of silence with nobody to connect with. I want to form a spiritual connection with every hypothetical person out there in the cosmos and when I like something, and somebody else expresses even the slightest disagreement with that, like displayed here, >>2812213
I feel the compulsion, the NEED to express my feelings and emotions, like I did here >>2814019

My fear of being alone in the vast expanses of spacetime is only compounded by people who say things like this >>2814029 preying on my worst fears and using it as a rhetorical question against me, so I inadvertently show more of my weaknesses here >>2814045 in some vain attempt to defend myself.

Showing your weaknesses in an attempt to defend yourself is foolish, I know, but I do it anyway, without thinking, because of unseen forces driving me. My analytical logical brain and my emotional fear driven heart are so often at odds.

Oh and as for that guy who said "Dark Souls" he just seemed like a faggot who uses buzz words, so I said Elmo's letter Hunt because I thought it'd be clever. I don't actually want every game to be "Dark Souls" but I want every currently existing game to be accepted for what it is. You're free to make new non-Dark Souls games and I absolutely won't mind, but criticizing old games for being too hard, too obtuse, etc, really bothers me.
>>
>>2815905
Like, favourite, and subscribe. Amen.
>>
>>2815905
>instantly kneejerks and memes

Good effort. Really substantiated your point.
>>
>>2815912
You don't think someone acknowledging your opinion and telling you it's wrong is interaction or connectivity? You really need to work on it and not be such a drama a queen. This sounds like you're the goth kid from southpark give a rehearsed made up speech about how traumatized you are.
>>
File: dreaming1359802-b6.jpg (13 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
dreaming1359802-b6.jpg
13 KB, 320x240
>>2815912
>When somebody disagrees with me it makes me feel alone in the universe, floating in an endless void of silence with nobody to connect with

Let me help you then. You are all alone in this sense, and we all are. You will never find someone who agrees with you on everything. Even if you somehow cloned yourself an exact duplicate of yourself at this precise moment, you would soon begin to disagree.

Even more fundamental, not only will there never be a case where everyone (or anyone) agrees with you on everything. There will never even be a time when everyone, or almost anyone even genuinely cares about why or how you disagree.

You are wasting your energy chasing a white whale that not only can never be caught, the very pursuit of it will bring you nothing but despair the more you continue. But do not despair, for I come with a message of hope!

Much as you feel alone in an endless void of silence, you are in fact not alone. We're all here in the exact same boat as you, feeling the exact same void tugging at our heart strings.

Once you let go of the expectation that in order to form a connection with someone, they must agree with you on all fronts you will have moved a long way out of the void of loneliness. So when you see someone playing Elmo's Letter Hunt, instead of feeling disappointment and irritation that they're playing a game you think is shitty, instead choose to feel joy and delight that they have found a game which is bringing them enjoyment.

Once you can look upon them, playing a game you would never want to and feel genuine happiness for them, then you will finally begin to feel genuine happiness inside yourself.
>>
>>2814146
Well, Voidburger's a real looker, though the only videos where she actually shows her face are the PAX ones. You should watch her though, she's actually pretty good.

She has a bunch of Silent Hill LPs, but they're subtitled, since the games rely heavily on atmosphere and she doesn't want the ambient noises and disturbing soundtrack to be, as she put it, "drowned out by some nerd talking over it". Except for Shattered Memories. That one's fully voiced because she hates that game and doesn't consider it worth the effort of bothering with subtitle commentary.
>>
>>2815972
Dark Souls still sucks.
>>
>>2816070
I didn't say anything about Dark Souls and wasn't the guy who was talking to you about it. I would hesitate to say the game sucks, because it clearly entertained enough people to become as popular as it is and get a sequel.

But that said, I absolutely hated the little bit I played of it. I am an incredibly picky gamer though...
>>
>>2815912
That was a very complete answer to >>2815894 's question.
>>
>>2815876
>i don't want a game to be 100% trial and error
>so that means I want everything to be like childrens games
Holy strawman, Batman!
Of course coddling the player isn't good, but I'd want my challenge to consist of more things than trial and error ad-nauseum.

>>2815905
Thanks for proving my point.
Again, there's more kinds of Let's Plays than people aping PDP/Markiplier, some people just want to talk about a game they like.

>>2815912
I said Dark Souls because it's a game where you're expected to do a lot of trial and error, a lot of rote memorization.

>criticizing old games for being too hard, too obtuse, etc, really bothers me.
I never said that, just that games should have different sorts if challenges.
And some games are obtuse in bad ways, the EU/US release of Castlevania 2 is infamous for it's nonsensical translation, where actual hints and directions got translated into senseless rubbish, thus progress was made difficult, because a lot of people had no fucking clue to kneel with the red crystal at that one cliff to get to the next part in the game, you would probably end up reading about it in Nintendo Power, or get told by someone who did. In the original game this wasn't a problem, so CV2 was fucked up by the localizing team for us westerners, the publisher actually fucked up the devs intentions here.

As for difficulty, these days, there's no reason to not have at least three difficulty levels, and hard should legit be challenging (I think it was in COD Blops where on hardest, you could seriously go and hide somewhere and your AI partners would seriously do all the combat for you, that's just embarrassing).

Some games I'm good at, some I'm not so good at, depends on the kind.
I'm pretty good at Doom so I almost always play on Ultra-Violence, but I'm really awful at most strategy games (I seem to do decent at Dawn Of War), so I tend to play on easy in those.

>>2815958
He's obviously joking, anon.
>>
>>2815905
See >>2815754
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.