[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
God I hope this is good.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 8
File: 22CART8.jpg (298 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
22CART8.jpg
298 KB, 640x480
God I hope this is good.
>>
>>2810616
i'll prolly finally get into playstation if this thing has good compatibility
>>
>>2810618
Same. Hoping the reviews are good.
>>
Funny how everyone on /vr/ called it snake oil and a scam.
>>
I have high hopes. Really wishing it has great compatibility. Think of all the homebrew that could be done.
>>
I doubt the serial port will have enough juice to manage CD bandwidths...
>>
>>2810764
It uses the parallel port not the serial port.

This is from the PSIO FAQ:

>the PlayStation 1 Parallel Port can handle up to 3 megabytes per second on the system bus. The original CD-ROM (at 2x speed) could read at a maximum of 352 kilobytes per second, so there is plenty of bandwidth available.
>>
>>2810771
well, I'll be damned.
interested to hear how it goes then.

still I've a PSOne so no port for me.
maybe I could mod one on?
>>
>>2810616
Too pricey for my hobo ass.
>>
Been following this for a while, to bad it needs an internal mod to get it running otherwise it would be perfect
>>
>>2810773
Even big PS models that have a parallel port need an internal mod for this thing to work.
>>
>>2810789
Its a small PCB that goes inside and some wires are soldered. Its not a full CD drive replacement we have hopped for, but its better than nothing
>>
>>2810773
>>2810789
Just so you know, it's possible to solder parallel ports on any PS1 model, even the little one, you just have to know what you're doing..
>>
>>2810809
Or just pick up a PS1 with one for a few quid
>>
Does the original hardware meme exist for the ps1? Am I actually missing out on anything using my cfw ps3 or eboots ?
>>
What is this thing and what does it do?
>>
>>2810827
PS1 had lots of different SKUs with varying advantages.
eg. If you have a good CRT like a Trinitron or whatever the PSOne systems have the best quality RGB output available. Alternatively if you have a good sound system the SCPH-100X models have extremely good audio quality.

If you just want to play video games without any bells and whistles though eboots are fine.
>>
>>2810738
The lead of the project has scammed people out of money before... I think it's a pretty safe call to be cautious with a known scammer.

I hope this will properly play the DDR/BM/POPN games, or other games that have odd setups.
>>
>>2810808
>. Its not a full CD drive replacement we have hopped for,
But... that's exactly what it does... it emulates the disc drive, what the fuck else did you want?
>>
>>2810912
I think he meant a plug-and-play or otherwise "no solder" solution.
>>
It's a failed piece of hardware is what it is. The/ idea was to build a flash booter that plugs entirely into the parallel port instead of an ODE like normal hackers develop. Presumably so it would be more accessible and not require people to open their consoles like an ODE does.

Well guess what. Not only does it require opening your console, it requires soldering so its plainly worse than an ODE. Will not be buying.
>>
>>2810925
I don't think it is worse. I feel like its better than a mod chip as loading should be decreased.
Does it still allow for disc games to play normally??
>>
>>2810912

More or less this
>>2810917

Its something to do with the port not supplying the amount of power required
>>
>not plug and play

NO BUENO
>>
>>2810827
240p
>>
>>2810884
it goggles the geegles for you
>>
>>2810616
>>2810616
Is shit i have a beta and it was a pain in the ass to solder it to the motherboard, if you don't have solder skills forget about this shit, just wait and hope that deunan make a good replacement
like the gdemu,Rhea/Phoebe
>>
>>2810616
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbNEmO3qClo&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>2810616
the installation its at 7:35 it was a pain in the ass!
>>
>>2810616
Let us know what your wife thinks.
>>
>>2811140
Nice video
>>
>>2810827

PS3's upscaling is a MESS, if you play anything even slightly reliant on timing you're not gonna have a good time. PS3's in general don't look good on CRTs, and if you're playing PS1 games on a HDTV the fuck are you doing?

I'm of two minds about the PSIO though, I HATE that for so long it was plug-and-play then it quietly changed to a fucking mod, but supposedly the actual soldering is on the easy side. I'll probably get one someday but for now I'm waiting on further compatibility reports and how well they actually support the damn thing post-release.
>>
Why not just disk swap? It does kill your motor, but there's plenty of old PS1s to go around. Or you could just replace the motor itself.
>>
>>2811140

Good GOD, I hope somebody makes a better video than this by the time I buy this thing. 12 minutes of this dumbass fucking around with screws featuring no soldering (the only part of the process actually worth looking up a video on).
>>
>>2811242
Kinda different to what this does,
Bung PS1 games on the SD card select and play
>>
File: ps_game_booster_news[1].jpg (72 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
ps_game_booster_news[1].jpg
72 KB, 400x300
parallel port accessories thread?
>>
>>2811295
I still wonder why there was no screw holes for that port.
>>
>>2811076
That's nice
>>
PSIO
>$110, or 149 dollerydoos
>Can't use with Gameshark
>Requires soldering
>Won't work with some games, claim it will be fixed in future firmware, despite saying "We have no idea why this is broken"
Modchip
>$4.00 on EurAsia
>Works with every game
>Requires soldering

Lets say for sake of argument that you are buying this because you are worried about the CD drive going down. Your PS1 is currently valued at $20. Meaning if your drive DID go down, you could get an entire replacement PS1 for $20. You are spending $110 to avoid spending $20 on a replacement. Lets say you aren't even pulling the modchip back out to reuse in the replacement. That's $24 for each PS1. You are spending four times that for what exactly?

For the same price as the PSIO, you could go out and buy four PS1's, install modchips, and then you would have three backup PS1's ready to go in the event that the first one dies. Hell, I'm still using the 7xxx model I got back around 98.
>>
>>2811331
PSIO
>Dont use CDs
>Can put games on a huge SD card
>Quicker loading times
>>
>>2811004
This is the one thing that it's missing, I would even be fine with a boot disc rather than a chip.
>>
>>2811340
>PSIO
>>Dont use CDs

but then how will i play monster rancher
>>
>>2810616
It's kind of silly that they didn't simply go with a circuit that plugged into the CD drive's ribbon port. That would have 100% compatibility and not require soldering.

Going parallel port was a mistake
>>
random question since it seems to be on-topic:

I have a goldfinger for booting burnt games on PS, and for some reason Pop'n Music always gives an error about breaking the law or playing it in the wrong region or something. Is there something extra that has to be done to play JP backups on an NA machine?
>>
>>2811331
Are you some modchip shill? Like, do you have stock in the ps1 modchip market?

Your investment certainly isn't just $4 on the modchip side of things, you need to go out and buy (and burn) discs. You need to make sure you have whatever stealth antipiracy patches are floating around after 15 years, some of the older modchips also /do/ have compatibility issues.

The PSIO fixing the games that are currently not working isn't some farfetched idea, the SD2SNES is a great example of this it has had support since it's release, like many products do. Sorry the developers aren't some clairvoyant autists like you, shilling old ps1 modchips for good boy points so you can get your mom to take you to buy some chicken tendies
>>
File: 2pl3.png.jpg (56 KB, 604x443) Image search: [Google]
2pl3.png.jpg
56 KB, 604x443
>>2811447

Nothing about this post makes sense, /vr/. What in holy fuck am I reading?
>>
>>2810738
>Funny how everyone on /vr/ called it snake oil and a scam.

It is. It started out as something you plug into the parallel port. Then there was no progress for half a decade. Right now you need to plug it in the port and solder a bunch of cables to the system for it to work; and it's still not a real product, just a work-in-progress.

That is with multiple people already paying them.

Since PSIO was announced, a single developer has already made fully functional Dreamcast and Saturn SD loaders (two Saturn ones even), and has a PC Engine one halfway done.

PSIO guys are idiots.
>>
>>2811447
Are you a PSIO shill? Why do you care about it this much? Is it just your autism flaring up?
>>
>>2810827
>Does the original hardware meme exist for the ps1?

Yeah. Original first batch units are supposed to have super high end Hi-fi grade DACs (which sound the same as normal ones...).
>>
>>2811451
>PSIO guys are idiots.

They aren't idiots. Stop using that word so freely.
>>
>>2811458
Well I guess they need an amount of intelligence to scam people out of their money.
So they are not idiots then.

Just scum.
>>
File: b55.jpg.png (162 KB, 430x301) Image search: [Google]
b55.jpg.png
162 KB, 430x301
>>2811451
Does the saturn one work for model 2s yet?
>>
>>2810778
how much is it?
>>
>>2811486
399$
>>
>>2810738

Still too early to say it's not
>>
>>2811489
>not $299

Sony has changed
>>
I POSTED ON THIS EXACT SAME THREAD LAST NIGHT MOMENTS BEFORE IT DISAPPEARED.
>>
How does a PSX know that a disc is burned anyway? Might be a stupid question but what's the secret, why does a real game work but an identical burnt CD of the disc image give an error? How does the console know?
>>
>>2811616
There's spots on real discs not writable on burned CD, and the existence/setting of that is how the drive can tell. If I recall correctly, it was a 'copy protection bit' at the start. Probably more complicated than that
>>
>>2811489
>How much is a PSIO cartridge?
>$149.95 AUD
Who's lying, you or the official site?
>>
>>2811458
only one of them is stupid
>>
>>2811625
Take a guess dummy
kek
>>
>>2811616
At the beginning of the disc there is region information and boot text which can't be written by a regular CD burner.
>>
>>2811482
Waluigi kind of looked like Nights to me for a moment there.

They have a similar color scheme and body type.
>>
>>2811427
You don't. This PSIO thing can't play disc swapping games.
>>
>>2811656
Is the boot text always the same or does it vary from game to game?
>>
File: PSOne_Boot_Screen.jpg (16 KB, 400x227) Image search: [Google]
PSOne_Boot_Screen.jpg
16 KB, 400x227
>>2811743
It varies by region. I'm sure you've already seen it crapton of times.
Oh, and this protection is there only in the PSOne, the original PlayStation had only the region string check.
>>
>>2810738
Funny how they were right.
>>
this needs a chip installed on the PS1 to work doesn't it?

that makes it significantly less attractive as a "flashcart" device
>>
>>2812259
wtf are you talking about
>>
>>2812293
if you don't have basic soldering skills, you are a lazy pleb.

>>2811625
150$ sounds like the sweet spot for this device. I think that's the most i'd pay without much hesitation
>>
>>2810616

So it's an actual soldering mod now? Why not just buy a $10 modchip that only needs like 5 wires to solder instead at this point? The whole appeal of the PSIO was it's plug and play nature, and now it doesn't even have that so there's no reason for it to exist.
>>
>>2812356
One advantage is that this system doesn't require a functional CD tray (or at least I don't think so anyway).
So once the laser assembly wears out a PS1 system with PSIO can still play backups.
>>
>>2812335
It was all a sham.
They claimed you would just need to plug the shit in to use it. Then they discovered they couldnt do that and started selling a 150$ glorified mod chip.
>>
>>2812356
>>2812378
from what I have seen, the PSIO is still the only one that lets you play from an SD card, much more attractive than having a pile of burnt disks with titles in sharpie.
>>
>>2812386
I dunno. A CD book full of burnt games is pretty attractive to me. But yeah, not worrying about the CD drive going bad is nice
>>
>>2812365
And any fucking PC, a PS2, PS3, PSP, a dreamcast or even a fucking Wii can easily play PS1 games AND backups with little if any modding at all.

It's a devise that has NO reason to exist. It's literally there so morons who never learned the disc swap trick (or are too dumb to soldier) can play copies on their PS1. It's fucking worthless.
>>
>>2812405
>And any fucking PC, a PS2, PS3, PSP, a dreamcast or even a fucking Wii can easily play PS1 games AND backups with little if any modding at all.
Not on the original hardware, and not in 240p.
Okay certain PS2 SKUs can do 240p when playing PS1 games, but depending on your console it might not work, and certain PS1 titles are just generally forwards-incompatible. Then there's the Wii/DC which have performance issues when emulating, and no other system can output 240p besides PC (where it's a pain in the dick to output a proper 15KHz signal).
Also the earlier PS1 units have extremely high quality DACs in them, which is a boon unless you've already got an audiophile-tier receiver with S/PDIF input.

PSIO is a niche product, yeah, but it has its uses. Mainly due to emulation problems and inconsistencies between PS1/PS2 SKUs.

Of course this is moot since the fucking thing isn't 100% compatible. Until it is, I agree, PSIO is a waste of silicon.
>>
>>2812450
>not in 240p

People like you are the absolute worst. PSIO at first seemed worth it, but since it's no longer plug and play then also costs over a hundred bucks, it's just not worth it.
>>
>>2812396

you know what's pretty attractive to me?

Having a stack of 150 dollars that I can look at because I didn't waste it on crap
>>
>>2812378
if you can't solder the thing in you must be retarded or lazy as fuck. 150$ for no more burning CDs is worth
>>
>>2812516
>People like you are the absolute worst

people that prefer the highest available quality? spoken like a true pleb
>>
>>2812736

Do you also rub your corneas against your TV screen or does your autism have it's limits?
>>
>>2812738
le autism!!! I love that meme!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>2811716
Is that just Monster Rancher, Vib-ribbon, etc. or stuff like MGS, and multidisc RPGs too?
>>
>>2812450
>Also the earlier PS1 units have extremely high quality DACs in them, which is a boon unless you've already got an audiophile-tier receiver with S/PDIF input.

Stop it with this shitty meme. It started as a mere rumor on some German audophile website and there was never any evidence for it. In fact it was actually DEBUNKED by a signal analysis showing that early PS1 DACs are merely "above average" at best.
>>
>>2812750
The only way to change discs is to reset the system. Any game that needs you to change the disc without resetting will not be allowed to do it.

>>2812759
It's not magic, and the hype is overblown, but it is definitely a good DAC. It's the kind you'll find on a music enthusiast-grade PC sound card, and for it to be found in a 1994/95-era PlayStation is very nice indeed.
>>
>>2812386
Just because you like what it does doesn't mean it does what was promised.
>>
>>2812780
>It's the kind you'll find on a music enthusiast-grade PC sound card

By that I hope you mean equivalent to what you might get on a decent old SoundBlaster or something.

A lot of people act like the DAC in the PS1 is equal to that of a $1000 CD player from the mid-90s, when in actual fact it's more like one from a $300 CD player in the mid 90s. Definitely better then what you'd typically get in a games console, but not punching radically above its weight.
>>
Buying it assuming 99% compatibility.

Not sure why kids are knocking it because they can't solder.
>>
>>2813076
99% is being far too optimistic. Multi-disc games, games with CDDA audio or subchannel data and a bunch of others still have serious problems. They ain't kidding when they say it's in beta.

Originally it was supposed to be plug and play. After they'd starting accepting donations for beta access it was pointed out that you'd need to do a bit of soldering if your PlayStation didn't have a parallel port, no big deal. That was the official story for the next 18 months or so until it was noticed the FAQ had been stealthily updated to mention that soldering would in fact be required. When questioned it was explained that it would only be a single wire that was absolutely essential for the device to work. The excuse was that they hadn't realized this was the case. Fast forward a few months and that lone wire has become about 6 or 7.
>>
>>2812450
>Okay certain PS2 SKUs can do 240p when playing PS1 games
Every single PS2 RAMDAC out there can do NTSC-NI
>>
File: what the fuck.jpg (25 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck.jpg
25 KB, 640x480
>>2811428
>go with a circuit that plugged into the CD drive's ribbon port
Whhhhhhhh that makes a lot of sense to be honest. Can some hackerbro confirm if this would actually be a viable option? I can't see how it wouldn't work. And if it's the way to go, why didn't they do it?
>>
>>2813213
It's possible but I believe it would require a custom IC that can speak the protocol the drive unit uses. The parallel port was likely used because you can just talk to the CPU directly. Also according to the dev the parallel port has more bandwidth so loading times would be like 8x faster this way.
>>
>>2813223
>loading times would be like 8x faster this way

>for good compatibility we need keep speed close to original ps1 cd-rom. but there are games that works good in "faster" mode
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=506#p3624
>>
>>2813239
That's a shame. Well at least for the moment some games actually work well with the faster loading. This is the first version of this device maybe we'll see improvements in the future to help with compatibility after enough people use it and report back.
>>
>>2813223
I see. But if I had to pick, I'd have 100% compatibility with shit loading times rather than a dodgy but fast parallel accessory
>>
>>2813239
>>2813249
Crash 3 wouldn't even boot on a regular PS2 if you set the disc speed above normal.
>>
>>2813760
Using the disc drive doesn't guarantee better compatibility, the device itself affects that. The drive port is just another way you could attach the device to the unit it's not inherently any better than the parallel port.
>>
File: IMG_0835.jpg (558 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0835.jpg
558 KB, 1920x1280
>>2811482
>Does the saturn one work for model 2s yet?

Yeah, for a while now.
>>
>>2811494
>not $299
>Sony has changed

Yeah, it would be five hundred ninety nine dollars now.
>>
>>2813805
I have no idea what are you talking about, PAL version boots flawlessly.
>>
>>2812405
>what is convenience

burning discs is costly and a pain in the ass. Also very prone to breaking unless you use expensive ass discs.

also people complaining about soldering ? neanderthal ass plebs
>>
>>2813223
>>2813213
>>2811428
From what I recall the Playstation has the cd drive laser plug in to the motherboard, and from that point on, all the controller chips are on the motherboard.

So it's not like the Dreamcast or the Saturn where you have a CD Drive communicating with the motherboard, and you just have to intercept the consoles data commands to read file x, on the logical level.

You have to go down directly to the hardware level, you have to intercept stuff like analog PWM voltage waveforms that the laser sends, or that the controller sends to the motor, etc. Then convert it to data that your drive emulator microcontroller can handle, and then convert it back to the type of crap that the drive controller expects.

That would need way more complex hardware and quite a bit more backwards engineering too (for one, I'm not sure if there is any documentation on such functionality of the drive chipset, meanwhile the stuff that the PSX sends to the CD drive is better documented).
>>
>>2814127
>burning discs is costly
You can buy a modchip and more than 200 blank Taiyo Yuden CDs for the price of a PSIO alone, so unless you're going to play more than 200 games, it's not worth the shitty compatibility.
>>
>>2814115
I too have a PAL copy and mine regularly doesn't. Wipeout 2097 also crashes when loading courses.

Maybe it has to do with the PS2 model.
>>
>>2810616
Can't get excited for this. I understand the attraction of ditching cd loading, but the price and the soldering are a big negative to me. I don't mind burned discs and mod chip as much as cost
>>
>>2811331
>buy four PS1's, install modchips, and then you would have three backup PS1's ready to go in the event that the first one dies

Did this. I now have four PS1s with nonfunctional disc drives.

I don't know if it's my local climate or poor power conditioning in my apartment, but the average lifespan of a PS1 disc drive in my living room is two weeks. Any kind of alternative loader would be a welcome change.
>>
>>2814104
this pic gave me sad feels
>>
>>2814297
Console killer! Stop buying PlayStations immediately!

And you can get a used Copier Guardian for $30 if your power line's trash and you ever want to resurrect those PS with replacement lasers.
>>
>>2814159
lmao those are fake taiyo yudens

also isn't there like 4 games that are incompatible? I'll burn those
>>
>>2813076
>Not sure why kids are knocking it because they can't solder.

I already have a PS1 with a modchip in it and the ability to solder. The whole appeal of the PSIO was the plug and play nature, but by the looks of it you'll have an easier time buying a cheap modchip for a fraction of the price that probably has less wires to solder.
>>
>>2815191
the appeal is no more burning cds and no cd drive imo
>>
>>2815202
>buy flash cart / ODE
>fill media with every game for the system
>only ever play a handful of games
>>
>>2815221
>handful of games

ps1 library is massive.
>>
>>2815228
And most people aren't ever going to play around 99% of them.
>>
>>2815259
we're on a retro gaming board. I'd hope people here were interested in more than just the surface games.
>>
>>2815328
It's more of the difference between someone downloading every game for a system rather than just the ones they'd actually want to play. Maybe a bit less relevant on a disc based system with thousands of titles.
>>
>>2810897
>PSOne systems have the best quality RGB output available
I've heard this before, does anyone have any pics to prove this?
>>
>>2815396
I wouldn't know. I have a shit PSU that causes (or at least I believe that is the cause) noise in the signal so I get fuzz travelling upwards or downwards the screen slowly. It's only really visible if you look for it though.
>>
>>2813093
I got the impression that they genuinely believed they could hack around the limitation with some bios tricks like the PSP hacks. But then the reality of how PS1 games were actually coded hit home and they had to throw their hands up and require a hard mod.
>>
Confused by the reactions itt

Ive got a decent ps1 collection and i love my ps1 but the lasers keep dying on me,ive got a stack of broken ps1 systems,it must have the shittiest laser out of any system,anyone who was around back in the ps1 days knows this already.

Ive had my eye on the PSIO for a couple of years,because like a lot of people i like to play on the original hardware glorious 240p RGB on my crt,this is the perfect solution and better yet il still be able to play my disc games anyway.

I can only guess that people are slating it because they cant solder.
>>
>>2815736
>I can only guess that people are slating it because they cant solder.
More because of:
A. The product's grossly protracted development
B. The developers reneging on the promise of a truly solderless solution in a fashion clearly intented to deceive donators and potential buyers
C. It has a much lower compatibility with the PS1 library than originally forecast
D. The price is higher than stated earlier

Any idiot can solder. Fewer can solder well, and even less SMD components, but that is well besides the point; people are slating this rather because it's taken the developers half a decade to deliver, at a higher cost and with less functionality than promised, despite now needing more hoops to jump through to get the damn thing working- with the developers lying to their backers at every turn.
>>
>>2810616
cool relabeled action replay bro
>>
>>2811457
>2015
>giving a fuck about analog audio output
most autistic shit ever
>>
>>2815396
>>/crt/
>>
>>2815758
A. who cares
B. no effect on end product
C. what is the actual difference in compatibility? site only lists 4 games. 1 interesting one
D. 150$ is cheap compared to having to continually buy CDs over the years. 150$ is pretty cheap anyways. especially considering ps1 library size

this is why you don't back things. just wait for final product and you won't have to be such a sour nancy
>>
>>2816242
That's $150 Australian btw, which is about $110 US.

Had to look up these four games that keep getting mentioned and two of them are actually the same game. Those are just the ones that are explicitly listed as "not working". There's another category for games with problems that currently has a further eight games. There is no way in hell it's only going to be those ones that have problems though. It's not like they've tested every other game and verified they're all working properly.

It does seems to be getting there, but very slowly.
>>
>>2816242
Then buy it bro. This product is targeted exactly at people like you.
Personally I have plenty of space to store my spare $5 PSs and books of CDs. I also like several multi player games and don't want to wait another 5 years to find out if the hucksters will deliver on that.
>>
This thread is really fucking gay but not in a homosexual way.
>>
>>2815736
>I can only guess that people are slating it because they cant solder.
Modchips require solder too. It's a matter of Cost VS Value. This item doesn't bring anything to the table except not having to burn discs and they claim shorter loading times. For $110. And that doesn't include the cost of the SD card either. This isn't like an 8-bit or 16-bit flashcart, you can't fit all the roms on some 2-4GB card. I only have a small selection of 40 PSX games on my hard drive, and that takes up about 30GBs. If you wanted to put every worthwhile game on there, you would need at least a 128GB card, if not larger. If you go with a cheap no-name card, that will run you about $35. A name brand will run you about $50. So that's anywhere from $145 to $160, if just getting a 128GB card.

A top of the line modchip is $4, a stack of 100 decent CD-R's is about $20. Cheap out and use paper cases and you can get 100 for $3. You can go high end and get plastic cases, $25 for 100.

That's a difference of $100 for very minor benefits. Hence the panning.

>>2816242
>D. 150$ is cheap compared to having to continually buy CDs over the years.
$145 actually including a large enough SD card. How often are you destroying your CDs to need replacing them often? 100 CDs = $20. You could burn and replace your 100 favorite PSX games every 10 years for the next 70 years before the PSIO becomes cost effective. Let's say you trash your CDs every 5 years. That's still 35 years before the PSIO becomes cost effective. Do you think your console will remain functional that long?

It's not worth the money, not for what you get out of it. It's a shame too, I had high hopes. Glad I didn't give any money.
>>
>>2811331

>not mentioning the cost of Taiyo Yudens to burn discs that the system can actually read worth a damn

That's probably like a $40 investment right there.

Don't think for a second you can pick up ye olde Verbatims from Walmart and get playable games out of that shit.
>>
>>2816651

I had a modded original PS1 in the 90's and currently own a modded PSone. I've always mainly used maxell or Memorex blank CDs and have never had a problem whatsoever. Don't believe the taiyo yuden meme.
>>
>>2810616
not retro
>>
>>2816629
It's a niche device, so cost doesn't really bother me. You used to get a lot of people in flash cart threads losing their minds at ones that cost more than $40. "You can walk into any store and get GBA and DS flash carts for $5 each". If you tried explaining the higher production costs for low quantities they'd dismiss you outright, or tell you in all seriousness to manufacture a few million first then sell them for $5 each in which case everyone in the world would be able to go to Walmart and buy one. The people behind PSIO said they'd be able to sell it for significantly less than the likes of GDEMU ($180 vs. $110), which they have accomplished so I can't fault them for that.

I find shoving games on an SD card much easier than burning discs, but there are people who won't care about that. I never understood the appeal of bios mods for Dreamcast imports when a boot disc does the job.

So basically I can knock the project for its currently shit compatibility and the misinformation about the installation procedure, but not for the price or functionality.
>>
>>2816657

It's not so much a meme as the direct experience of a friend and I having modded our own systems. We never had any luck getting past cutscenes and various loading segments in most games on cheap discs, and that's even with burning the games slowly at 2x speeds.

I'm not doubting your luck but it's definitely not the same for everyone.
>>
>>2816678
Actually GDEMU is $120, so I guess I can knock PSIO for being $110. Significantly cheaper my ass.

Don't know where I got $180 from...
>>
>>2811331
Anon itd be better replacing the cdrom (instead of find a modded new psx...). I replaced my cdroms. Its about 10 bucks on ebay and very easy to install. Im good for another 10 years. Everything else in your post makes sense
>>
>$150 AUD
Christ that's far too expensive for me. I'm fine with emulation and a modded PSP.
>>
>>2816683
Another guy here. I bought about 3x a 25 cd pack for €5, and have no problem with any burned game be it Dreamcast or PCE cd.They all work.
>>
>>2816683
Everyone not retarded enough to fall for the taiyo juden burn at lowest speed on my broken hand me down writer maymay has the same luck
>>
cds are a pain in the ass. they wreck so easily for me.
>>
>>2814190
The first goddamn game I'd ever play on PSIO... and it's incompatible. What the fuck man I thought this shit is more or less native in compatibility
>>
>>2811628
>PSIO dev detected

lmao.. so how many axl roses do you have working on this mod?
>>
>>2814104
Sweet, last I checked they only worked with model 1s.

Which chip works with model 2s? and is it all model 2s?

>>2814105
no kidding m8
>>
>>2818936
how bad is compatibility ? the site only lists 4 games not working
>>
>>2814104

The $126USD I spent on my GDEMU was the best retro purchase I have ever made
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.