[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Replacement N64 Sticks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: replacementN64Stick.png (213 KB, 1024x522) Image search: [Google]
replacementN64Stick.png
213 KB, 1024x522
Has anyone had any experience with these replacement sticks? I want to get some replacements for my controllers, but I'm torn between getting the 'normal' style or the 'gamecube' style.

I'm not sure if I want to be a purist and go for the normal style, or if I want the comfort of using the gamecube style thumbstick (perhaps that will be easier to use it for certain mario party minigames that require you to rapidly rotate the thumbstick).

Are there any issues I should look out for? I hear that there are some sensitivity issues with these sticks. For example, the replacement sticks can be too sensitive for Goldeneye, or that it can be harder to do smash attacks in Super Smash Bros.

What's your opinion /vr/?
>>
I got those replacement PCBs from the German guy for the GCN style sticks.

Flawless.
>>
I have a GameCube styled stick on one of my controllers. I haven't had any issues with it. I did have to get used to the new sensitivity, but once I did, my high score in starfox 64 rose a bit, and I got better at the Zelda shooting minigames.

tl;dr I like my replacement stick.
>>
I got a pair of the original styled replacements and outside of having a loose wiring issue which was easily fixed, they've worked just as well as the original
>>
I've used both of those joysticks. I would mostly recommend the "normal" style one (especially for SSB), but the "gamecube" style one is also good for most games.

The "gamecube" style joystick feels less stiff out of the box and is only a little more sensitive than normal. I would recommend it for most games except for playing SSB. I ran into those issues with smash attacks while using this stick; I had to tap the joystick really early relative to pressing A to get it to smash, plus I had to move the stick really really fast to get it to register a tap at all. Other than SSB I didn't have any issues with other games, and I would still recommend this stick.

The "normal" style one works well for all games I've tried and has no issues with SSB. It feels a little more stiff out of the box though, so you may want to take it apart and add a little bit of grease. This extra stiffness may be why I don't remember it being as sensitive as the GC stick, but it's probably a little more sensitive than stock as well. It also works/feels more like the stock joysticks which you may like.

tl;dr: don't get the "gamecube" style one if you play lots of SSB, otherwise both sticks are good.
>>
>>2810068
It's your prerogative. iirc, even the "original syle" is different; it has a totally different style of sensor. idk if it's worse or better.
>>
I have one it's too sensitive and makes some games very awkward to play but otherwise it works alright.
>>
>>2810107
OP here, this has been a most helpful post.

I'll buy the normal style then, because I do play a lot of SSB. I'm also more sold on that it feels more like the stock joysticks.
>>
>>2810129
The original mechanism is similar to how the scroll wheel in a computer mouse works but it has two photo-transistors instead of just one. Each photo-transistor handles an axis. And obviously the springiness of the joystick is caused by an actual spring.
>>
Most replacement N64 sticks aren't as high quality and don't offer the same range of control as the original do.
>>2810107
The reason this anon had to imput his moves earlier in order to side-smash, is because the Gamecube pad has a sizeable dead spot in the center.

The guys in this video cover it very well at the 8:15 mark, I highly recommend watching it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3GYtAyRCOo
>>
is there an adapter to use other controllers with the N64?
>>
>>2810197
http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/gc_to_n64/index_en.php
>>
>>2810191
I hate to sound like a prick but the guy with the glasses makes me angry with his facial animations and manner of speech.

They're correct that the NGC analog style replacements are not perfect out of the gate, but the level of research they did for why it's off (as well as why the original sticks break) was non existent. There's a guy in germany who makes replacement pcbs for the NGC style sticks (as mentioned earlier in this thread) that largely fix the issues. Maybe if glasses stopped contorting his face while he jerks off to the n64 controller as perfect for some god forsaken reason he'd have the mental strength to do a quick google search and learn this.
>>
>>2810220
Regardless I'm not taking a chance and sticking to an original with a tight joystick. Leave a link to the German guy if you don't mind, I can't find out anything on him.
>>
File: kek.png (39 KB, 200x173) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
39 KB, 200x173
>>2810220
>>
>>2810068
I've seen quite a few of those Lodgenet controller with GameCube-style sicks.
>>
>>2810229
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5023.0
>>
I love how people shit on the N64 control stick even though it's virtually impossible to play Perfect Dark and Sin and Punishment well without it.

Durability of control stick /= quality of control stick under ideal conditions
>>
>>2810072
I got one of these and its awesome. I recommend it
>>
>>2810536
>http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5023.0
That is the thread for the outdated V2 of the board.

Version 3 is here:
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5803.40

They are out of stock ATM though.

I have installed 6 of these things. They are VERY good. cures all previous problems with GCN-style sticks.

You have to be able to use a soldering iron.
>>
I recommend finding an OEM stick in good condition and lubricating it with silicone grease.
>>
>>2810072
Do you have a link to get those?
>>
>>2813325
>Do you have a link to get those?

>>2812716
>Version 3 is here:
>http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5803.40
>They are out of stock ATM though.

Lurk moar
>>
>>2810107
This, plus neither of them have as many steps as the original.
>>
>>2810191
MLiG is some comfy as fuck /vr/ edutainment
>>
>>2814673
Great to watch!
But when he get things wrong (and he does often) it really triggers me.
I just want to grab his cheeks and yank his head toward a screen with a web browser displaying the correct and researched info waiting for him to read.
Then yank him (again: by his cheeks) back to his camera and make him do a correction/retraction episode for each under-researched thing he has ever said.

RAAAAAAAAGE!

Then do the same thing for people like Adam Koralik as well.
>>
>>2816991
Sounds like someone has a crush.
>>
>>2814673
The thing I'm sick of is EVERY USA-Based YouTuber trying to explain the existence of SCART over and over and over again!

I'm from a country that nearly completely missed out on SCART and even S-Video (had to wait for YPbPr Component for mass acceptance of anything other than RF or Composite), but still knew of the existence of SCART.

It was mentioned in the manuals for the SNES AND the Sega systems I owned.

Quit with the droning and just link people to some standard YouTube video that explains it via an annotation or a link in the description!
>>
How do Gamecube to N64 controller adapters work? is there much imput lag?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.