[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can /vr/ help me remember the name of a DOS first-person shooter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Can /vr/ help me remember the name of a DOS first-person shooter from '94 or '95? The full game was never released for some reason. In the first level of the shareware version, you start off trapped in a prison cell with yellow, stone walls. If I remember correctly, you had to make a bunch of noise by smashing wooden barrels so that the guards would check on you and you could attack them. This is all I can remember right now. I know it's not much to go on.

By the way, pic unrelated. I thought the game was Strife. It's not Strife. But I do believe it has a one word title.
>>
>>2807330
Wolfensfein
>>
>>2807330
I guess I should also mention that the game combined sci-fi and fantasy elements. Like, your prison cell resembles a medieval dungeon. But the guards look like robots and fire plasma guns. I think there's magic involved, too.
>>
>>2807343
Was it real time combat or turn based?

Can you remember who developed it or published it?
>>
Fate

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sUOZwQneA-4
>>
>>2807405
Yes, that's it! Thank you!
>>
Shame it was never finished.
>>
>>2807485
Anybody know why?
>>
>>2807854
For whatever reason, the devs shut their doors.
They had done games before I think, but maybe they just didn't have the money to continue.

I assume at least one of the dudes who worked on it is out there somewhere, if you can find out who worked at the company (and it was a small company), maybe you could find them somewhere online today?

I mean, it's not too likely that any of them have any of the old stuff from development still around all this time (though who knows), but you might be able to ask them if they remember how the story would have gone, how the rest of the game was planned, etc, and why they shut down their company.
>>
>>2807405

Its like Quake had sex with Powerslave.
>>
>>2808135
I kinda like that honestly.

Does anyone have a rip of the graphics? The rocket-gun is kind of rad with the recoil, the animated ejection port with the empty casing being thrown out.
>>
>>2808135
But Quake DID have sex with powerslave, or at least recruited powerslave as gestational surrogate.

Shame there weren't more games that used the slavedriver engine. Like, I don't know, ummm, how about Strife?
>>
>>2808726
Strife ran on the DOOM engine.
>>
>>2809975
The Saturn port of Doom and the ports of Hexen were pretty terrible, using the slavedriver engine instead would at least have made use of all the work that went into making a new engine. Besides, Strife was kind of dated the way it was.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.