[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Harvest Moon 64 tips?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: harvest_moon_64_large.jpg (477 KB, 800x1156) Image search: [Google]
harvest_moon_64_large.jpg
477 KB, 800x1156
Started playing harvest moon 64 for the first time, any tips or things I should know?
>>
>>2806409
Remember to water your plants.
>>
>>2806409
dont talk to grandma or she dies also spoiler
>>
>>2806409
never ever talk to ellis grandma.
>>
>>2806421
>>2806423
Looks like I already fucked up.
>>
>>2806427
To be more precise, her grandmother will stop rocking her chair for a bit. Don't talk to her when that happens or you'll find her dead. Ignore her until she starts rocking again and all is fine.
>>
Put your chickens on your roof.
>>
>>2806421
>>2806423
hive-grandma mind
>>
>>2806427
Nah, it's a special event when Ellen dies. Just watch for a slow screen fade in and if you see her, don't talk to her
>>
>>2806423
>>2806421
It's okay to talk to grandma when she's inside the house. They day you suddenly see her sitting outside of the house is the day you stop talking to her.
>>
File: superior.jpg (177 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
superior.jpg
177 KB, 600x600
>>2806409
I was a PSX dude because the N64 had a garbage controller. Why do people like this over Back to Nature? Sure, it's the same game with little quirks to each version but why would you bother playing HM64 with that controller?
>>
>>2807674
Because Back to Nature is a botched version. It's improved in many ways, but also gets rid of what made HM64 truly memorable and fun and exchanges it for tedium.

And also because nowadays you can emulate and use any controller you want.
>>
>>2807683
>but also gets rid of what made HM64 truly memorable and fun

Elaborate?
>>
File: harvest_moon_64_world.png (46 KB, 643x712) Image search: [Google]
harvest_moon_64_world.png
46 KB, 643x712
>>2807683
That's true, but even with a 360 pad the N64 feels weird to me as far as mapping goes. Why is it botched? I came across this, maybe you guys can see if it stacks up:

http://www.hmfarm.com/page.php?file=64vsbtn

Also check out this world map, the beach is next to your house and the mountain seems really far away. There's no nice circular way to get around town like in BTN.
>>
>>2807674
>le n64 controller sucked meme

when will this meme just fucking die already. goddamn millenlials
>>
>>2807674

...loading...

...loading...

...loading...
>>
>>2808184

It did suck, just not the way the stupid sons of bitches say it does. It's perfectly comfortable to hold and a joy to play with.

Dat analog stick doe...
>>
>>2808184
I wish people would cite its actual reason for sucking, that is to say the joystick that wore away into literal dust. Its comfort and functionality was just fine.
>>
>>2808248
I think the analog was also not that good to use, not just because it would tear and wear easily, but also because it just didn't felt precise at times and it just wasn't that comfortable to use for extended periods of time, but then again it was one of the first to come. Nintendo definitely nailed it with the GC controller. Still, the controller overall wasn't that bad.
>>
>>2807683
how is BTN botched. it's almost the same game except far more content
>>
File: Best.png (65 KB, 147x227) Image search: [Google]
Best.png
65 KB, 147x227
>>2806409
Yeah, win over best girl.
>>
>>2808184
>goddamn millenlials
What's the matter, babby gonna cry because people have different opinions than him?

I'm 30 fucking years old, and I dislike the N64 controller. It was uncomfortable to hold as a child, and it's even more uncomfortable to hold as an adult. The Rumble Pak put extra weight at an awkward position. The analog stick is in the top three worst analog sticks on any first party controller (it's funny because the other two worst are also Nintendo, albeit not retro)

This sentiment is shared by a lot of people. There's a reason the Hori Mini is so coveted... Just because someone else has a different opinion than you doesn't mean they're wrong idiot.
>>
>>2808723
>I'm 30 fucking years old
literal millenial
>>
>>2808748
Anon...
>>
>>2808356
More isn't better, to access more content you need to do the equivalent of a permanent grind or put the game on autopilot. It's repetitive and not worth it, no quality to it.

It's like how A Wonderful Life had TONS of content but playing it was sluggish and grindy to the point where smaller Harvest Moons are actually better.
>>
>>2808931
>to access more content you need to do the equivalent of a permanent grind or put the game on autopilot

How so? The game never felt grindy to me.
>>
>>2807694
>>2808356
Harvest Moon 64 is generally a fulfillment of what the creators originally set out to accomplish with the original game for the SNES. They've said as much openly.

But more to the point, the game's the only title in the entire HM franchise to really capture the quiet subdued essence of rural life. There are no great causes to overcome, or evil curses, and the village isn't a bustling exciting place. It's a quiet world that has existed long before you got here, and its inhabitants are all in different stages of their lives. All of the characters have their own worries, fears, and traumas that add to their depth. Dead family, lost opportunities, the ravages of age, broken relationships and insecurities are present in all the different subplots. It's sad, but wha can you do? This is just part of the human experience, and everyone has some tragedy if you talk with them long enough.

The whole game is just filled with a rich sense of verisimilitude and countless incredibly minor details that make its world and characters feel credible. Future games lost sight of the pangs of reality that made the game so great, as if they were being made by people who never had grown up in a rural area and were just creating an idealized caricature of it. The Brides in future games became reduced to pure Okatu bait, and the characters all increasingly turned into anime cliches without even a touch of endearing humanity. No amount of seasonal gimmicks like evil witches or shared towns could ever compensate.

> Wada had moved to Tokyo after being brought up in the countryside. Though he had no interest in returning to that environment, he finally understood its advantages compared to the big city, and thus wanted to turn that experience into a game. The problem was that he didn't know how.

> "I needed to nail the player experience," said Wada, but he had a problem: "How do you express the game system of living while working?"
>>
>>2810510

this was a pretty good post until

>rich sense of verisimilitude
>>
>>2807674
> Same game

BtN has a few better features mechanically, like Winter not punching you in the nuts, but its characters aren't as compelling. HM64 has the best girls.
>>
>>2806549
does that really any good?
>>
>>2810792
Not him so I'm not sure about that, but I know putting your cows out in the rain is a good thing.

Also, I agree with N64 being the best. I feel like the later games, BtN being the very beginning of it, falls into paradox of choice territory.
>>
>>2810792
It's been long time since I played but from what I recall you can leave them up there rain or shine, not have to feed them, and they will continue to produce eggs.
>>
>>2806409
>I'm playing a basic as hell farming sim
>How do I play it?
>>
>>2806409
Gather what you can in the woods in free time and sell it.
The most you get for medical herbs, rest you will gave to figure out yourself.
First house expansion you should build is greenhouse.
If you want to start rising animals, cows give you the most money, but if you dont feed them or leave them in the rain, you will have to spend cash for medicine for it.
When you are inside a house/barn/coop/shop, time stops.
Dont overwork yourself, or you'll get sick and loose whole next day.
If you overwork, take a bath and dont work anymore and you'll be fine.
Plan your workload a day or two before.
have fun
>>
Am I the only one who thought Harvest Moon 64 AND Harvest Moon on the PS1 BOTH sucked?
>>
>>2811230
Also, watch in-game help videos.
Watch TV every morning
Mark shit in your calendar
Talk to people
>>
>>2811247
OOOH! I got one!

There will be times when you feel like you just want quick money for that next big upgrade and you'll want to just tend to your crops/animals and advance to the next day. DON'T. Every minute of every day is potential profit or story line advancement. It will same VERY tedious at times, but when you can have a moderately decent farm by the end of year one and have 9 more years to just enjoy the story you'll be glad you did it.
>>
Just because seeds form in a 3x3 grid doesn't mean you should stick to it unless the seeds yield a one time only harvest. Be creative with seeds that yield multiple harvests. I know for sure that eggplant is one, as well as pineapples. I always grew these in two long columns for easy harvest and shipping once I got the basket.

Get a basket as soon as possible and when you do, plant as much crops as possible.

Also, after you finish working, continously use your tools until you pass out so you can level them up faster. The watering can always took priority for me.

You can also cheat at the betting mini games and don't use any money while still getting to beat. It'd up to you to exploit that or not.
>>
>>2806409
>>2811230
This is all good advice but I'd like to say that for me, building the greenhouse early on actually takes away a lot of the fun from the game. In game days quickly go from 10-15 minutes to 25-30+ and the challenge of time management goes completely out the window. If you DO build it, however, make sure you win the invincible katori (the pig-shaped citronella burner) from the Sea Festival swimming contest as it will protect your greenhouse from being blown away in a typhoon. And don't forget that you can make bank in the mines during winter.
>>
>>2811897
CORRECTION!

The object that protects your greenhouse from typhoons is the turtle figure that you win during your second egg festival. My mistake.
>>
>>2810510
You make a compelling case for the game, but the clunky menu/interface makes it difficult to enjoy. Plus, I know days in Harvest Moon games tend to go by quick, but even then, in HM64 there's hardly any time to do stuff before midnight approaches.
>>
>>2811902
Actually your both wrong. Put your dog in the greenhouse and you'll be fine.
>>
>>2812125
>>2812125
Was just about to post this.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.