[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post the game you are playing. Cyborg Justice Customize your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 16
File: k.png (43 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
k.png
43 KB, 640x480
Post the game you are playing.
Cyborg Justice
Customize your robot and then kill other robots with yours via beat em up style.
Pic Related
>>
File: fushigi-no-umi-no-nadia-cover.jpg (51 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
fushigi-no-umi-no-nadia-cover.jpg
51 KB, 250x350
Fushigi no Umi no Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water for Megadrive.

Starts pretty much identical to the series, then it goes on a different direction. I'm on chapter 3 and it has some really dark moments already, but overall it's pretty comfy.
>>
>>2804795
At the end of stage fucking three the boss is impossible. If you get your arm torn off in the beginning, which is bound to happen 80% of the time, you can't hit him, as he just tears off your body.
>>
File: Lagoon5.png (27 KB, 799x600) Image search: [Google]
Lagoon5.png
27 KB, 799x600
>>2804795
Lagoon for snes. Fun game similar to Zelda. It came out early in the snes life so the graphics aren't the best for snes game, but not bad.

>>2804849
Fun game but yeah boss fights suck for the reason you stated though you can still attack without arm. You can rip arm off other borgs but not sure if you can remove torso too.
>>
>>2804806
How does it compare with the Famicom version?
>>
Waiting for my copy of Area 88 (U.N. Squadron) to come in
>>
File: ddpl.jpg (170 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ddpl.jpg
170 KB, 640x480
Doki Doki Pretty League for PSX
You manage a high school girl's baseball team.
It's more fun than it has any right to be.
>>
>>2805221

Sounds p fun
>>
File: Nadia-Secret-of-Blue-Water-4.gif (13 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Nadia-Secret-of-Blue-Water-4.gif
13 KB, 256x224
>>2805214

They're different games completely, the Famicom game is a strategy game, sort of like chess with nadia characters.
The Megadrive game is an adventure game, kind of an "interactive story" game with some dungeons and puzzles, so far each chapter seems a bit different from each other so it feels variated, but most of the game revolves around speaking with people, gathering items and using the right items on the right place, but it's pretty straightforward and not too cryptic thankfully.
>>
File: ランス01_20151119_165711.jpg (267 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ランス01_20151119_165711.jpg
267 KB, 1024x768
Rance 01, a remake of a classic 1989 game.
>>
>>2804795
I spent so many years trying to remember the name of this game.
>>
>>2805569
Well no problem, it's a cheap game too, you can grab is on eBay for a good 8$
>>
File: 1447957277593.png (9 KB, 256x232) Image search: [Google]
1447957277593.png
9 KB, 256x232
Dragon Warrior, the first.
>>
I'm playing Monster World IV it's pretty fun, just got past the fist tower but now I'm lost again since I can't figure out how to leave the city.
>>
File: snap049.png (71 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
snap049.png
71 KB, 480x272
Finished this bad boy half a day ago and I'm going to start Suikoden III right now.
There's no way to transfer my save to the PS2 Classics version of Suikoden III (that I'm aware of), but fortunately, this exists:
http://gensopedia.com/wiki/Suikoden_III/Save_file
>>
File: sword of vermilion.gif (14 KB, 300x210) Image search: [Google]
sword of vermilion.gif
14 KB, 300x210
>>2804795
Started playing this simply because I'd never played any RPGs on the Genesis as a kid, and wanted to have some diversity in my collection.
>>
>>2805213
Is that a Zaku?
>>
>>2805824
Looks like a custom Zaku.
>>
>>2804795
used to rent this like crazy at blockbuster could never pull off the jumps over pits when I was younger. my fave part was stealing the other robots weapons.
>>
>>2806378
Jump and then attack and you'll fucking fly
>>
>>2806381
good to know may have to replay it again soon
>>
>>2805824
>>2806217
First or second boss in Lagoon. I don't think it's a Zaku.
>>
Tomba. I know must of you probably anyway know about it, but that's what I'm playing.
>>
>>2807438

I'd rather you be quiet
>>
File: Kevin_Rian.jpg (76 KB, 577x320) Image search: [Google]
Kevin_Rian.jpg
76 KB, 577x320
Garou.
I like this guy.
>>
Street of Rage 2 Awesome music
>>
>>2808226
Funny thing, a lot of the fanbase don't like this dude and apparently he is one of the best chars in the game.
>>
>>2808275
Why not? I thought you liked big tough American types.
>>
>>2805213
You can remove arms and torsos of other bots. Either install or throw the arms. Throw or drink like 60% life from the torso. I used to just spend the entire game sucking the life out of the bad guys so my player 2 friends could burn as many lives as possible.
>>
>>2804795
I love this game, but I fucking hate the controls because I could never get to pick up the damn robot parts and hook it my body.
>>
>>2807401
>Most Autistic Post: November Nominee
>>
>>2808280
He's pretty cheap. Been playing garou for about a month myself on fightcade. Tizoc4lyfe
>>
gengis khan , the shining force, Paperboy, lost world sega genesis
>>
>>2806378
They have a certain type of legs you can get (The one with the holes in it i believe) that let you do a crazy high double jump. I recommend using that for the first 3 levels just for that one hard jump, then switching to the big foot legs to avoid magnets and spikes.
>>
I managed to header and NTSC patch my glorious German rom of Terranigma. 4 towers down and it's decent. I thint it hasn't really started yet.
>>
>>2811189
Terranigma is the only SNES game I actually played through, though it took me two attempts. Definitely a very entertaining game
>>
>>2811189
how come you're playing the German version? Aren't they usually translated from the English versions, which in turn are translated from the Japanese versions? At least that's been my experience, with the German version usually being a bit on the cheap side, because the localization department has less money than one going for a more international release.
>>
Just beat FF7 for the first time ever. Please don't bully
>>
>>2811204
verdict?
>>
>>2811206
I enjoyed it very much, I think it's now my second favorite in the series after V. Midgar was the best, most characterful part of the game, but the rest was still very solid. I felt like it lacked challenge compared to V and VI though. Yuffie is cute, cute!
>>
File: terranigma - vermaledeit.png (49 KB, 500x438) Image search: [Google]
terranigma - vermaledeit.png
49 KB, 500x438
>>2811203
>how come you're playing the German version? Aren't they usually translated from the English versions, which in turn are translated from the Japanese versions?
I've heard that, but I really don't know. Most of the time I avoid PAL roms for obvious reasons, but when I get to play a PAL exclusive (localisation) I always pick the German version, because I love the language. It's really fun to me when they say "nö" or "vermaledeit". Gives it an additional level of charm.
>>
File: Fallout2front.jpg (258 KB, 800x832) Image search: [Google]
Fallout2front.jpg
258 KB, 800x832
>>2804795
It's been so long since I last played Fallout 2 I forgot damn near everything but being able to get raped by a dude and a quest at the start to kill some geckos for a moonshiner. Wish I could say the same thing about 1 but I played that game more than I played with my dick during puberty.
>>
>>2805221
I really wish story/simulators took off more in the US.

I want to manage a soccer team, but also have to deal with the drama of the players, not just analyze excel sheets.
>>
>>2811261
Aren't these just all VNs with different filler mechanics? Like, in jRPGs you do RPG fights between the cutscenes/dialogs, in a soccer manager you would, well, manage a soccer team. In my perception these games tend to have rather shallow or repetitive mechanics, with less player agency, because of the railroading narrative. Like, for example, in such a soccer manager, you'd be forced to reach a certain league or get certain titles, just because the story tells you to, you can't run a club the way you want to. Maybe I'm just not the target group for these games, but I just don't think they're something desirable
>>
Recently 1cc'd ESwat, cool game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZpS7u0u52E
>>
>>2811284
why would you link to a random audio track with placeholder image, instead of actual gameplay?
>>
>>2811290
Because i thought the OST was cool, but here is my video for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvVAgDp83Bw
>>
>>2805590
Surprisingly, you must go to the left instead of the right of the fountain where you are dropped.
>>
>>2805590
This one's on my top 5 favorites, fantastic game.
>>
File: r_t_u_r_01[1].jpg (2 MB, 3660x3888) Image search: [Google]
r_t_u_r_01[1].jpg
2 MB, 3660x3888
>>2805824
looks more like a sazabi to me
>>
>>2811273
Branching paths aren't uncommon in Japanese adventures.
You get a full game with added incentives. At worst you use less suited members because you want to unlock their scenes.
>>
>>2808694
I'm actually autistic so it's no surprise.
>>
>>2811416
>Branching paths aren't uncommon in Japanese adventures.
The human author is the limit on branching. A couple dozen branches are already extremely rare. Also, branching or not, you still need to follow one path the author puts down.

>You get a full game with added incentives
In my RPG experience the "full game" is usually rather mind numbing. The "added incentives" feel railroading to me

>less suited members
That's a minmaxing statement

>you want to unlock their scenes
Like achievements, I hate that concept with a passion. I'd rather play a game on my own, than the author constantly standing behind me going "told ya you'd do that". It's a very good way to make me not play a game.
>>
>>2807501
lol poor guy
>>
>>2811261
Shame that Artdink isn't as active as they once were, based on what I've read they seem like exactly the company to work on a sim like that.

I think americans more enjoy action games or things that are easy for multiple people to play and get into together, so sims don't exactly fit their desires.
>>
>>2811421
I don't really understand your post content. What constitutes a 'full game' of an RPG for you? And how are unlocking all the story scenes in a game like achievements, or like the game creator telling you they knew what you would do? How do you get that implication anyway?

I'm not mad or anything, just curious because what you said didn't really make any sense to me. I want to know where you're coming from here.
>>
>>2811430
>so sims don't exactly fit their desires
The simulation genre, without the japan-typical drama VN mixed in, has been huge in the late 80s and early 90s. A problem of the simulation genre is that its cost-to-profit ratio is a bit bad. It takes a lot of research to produce a good simulation, but few people (compared to the total market) will buy it. So once gaming left its geeky experimental phase and turned into a raw money generator, that genre was killed off.
>>
>>2811436
>What constitutes a 'full game' of an RPG for you?
Conceptually, something like Daggerfall. The game/programming being merely an automatic DM, and the provided world being available for me on my own terms. I can accept story driven RPGs, if they keep things to a sane scale. Regardless, I kind of insist on the game's mechanics to go beyond fighting. Fighting is by far the cheapest and most simple interaction in an RPG. When it's the only interaction (no, dialog selections are not interaction), it's a game I'll likely skip.

>how are unlocking all the story scenes in a game like achievements
In that particular example that was mentioned, the sole reason for the player to visit a particular branch was to bring up the completion percentage, and/or read the pages on the book that they skipped so far. The big issue is that the choice of the player to go to that aspect of the story is not in character decisions within the game, but meta gaming decisions of completing the branching story tree. To me that undermines the concept of story telling. And in terms of RPGs, it undermines player agency. When a game is tightly story driven, there's no way to get off the rails that the author established. Even if these rails have a branch here and there, you'll always be where an author expects you to be. That's fun for a story, but it's not fun for a supposedly freeform game, like a role playing environment, or a managerial simulation.
>>
>>2811421
>That's a minmaxing statement
What's the problem? Management simulators are about minmaxing. Unlike most RPGs you can't just grind your stats since you have other limited resources such as time.
>>
>>2811441
>Management simulators are about minmaxing
One particular playstyle is. Fortunately, these games allow for more than one.
>>
>>2811443
So you like to play a losing manager and feel special about it?
>>
>>2811456
A good simulation will generally produce interesting emergent stories regardless of the outcome of choices. Look at something like Dwarf Fortress, where lots of people's favorite stories to share are ones where things go wildly and entertainingly bad at some point.
>>
>>2811440
How do you feel about Princess Maker 2?
That should be one of the few games accessible to foreign players.
>>
File: 4L_VDPe4xgX.jpg (189 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
4L_VDPe4xgX.jpg
189 KB, 1024x768
Not retro, but I'm playing it for my second time since it came out years ago
>>
>>2804795
>>2805213

Once you can consistently drain the robots of all their life it is almost impossible to die, save fucking up a pit jump or getting hit by multiple off-screen missiles. You can pull torsos for a good chunk of life, but I believe you get the most life by the move where you grapple/body hug the bots and smash them in the head repeatedly. It pulls life in sections. Hard to describe and it's been almost 20 years since I last really played the game. ANYWAY, You keep doing that until the bot dies, then you reassemble them (Kick the legs, then pick up the torso and slap it back on top) and repeat until the whole thing blows up. I think you can do it twice per bot. I want to say reassembling a fellow player is possible and will basically save/spare them the life, until they blow up.

EXO Squad on the Genesis/MD is a spiritual sequel. Also Quasimodo Body/Pneumatic Legs/Crusher Hand is best bot.
>>
>>2808275
>>2808280
>>2808697

The tier list used to read low/mid/top/Kevin-tier. That should tell you absurd he can be. ALSO, his bio states he's a big Star Wars fan and has religiously watched all six movies, putting the game somewhere mid/post-2005.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.