[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just played through Sonic 2, it was always my favorite in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13
File: Sonic-2-cover-art.jpg (125 KB, 529x768) Image search: [Google]
Sonic-2-cover-art.jpg
125 KB, 529x768
Just played through Sonic 2, it was always my favorite in the series and the only one I've ever played through to the finish

I think I'm gonna try to tackle Sonic 3 or Sonic and Knuckles finally, which one is more fun to play all the way through? I haven't played either in over a decade

Also, Sonic games rating thread I guess
>>
2 > 1 > dogshit > 3 >knuckles
>>
>>2804612
>2 > 1 > dogshit > 3 >knuckles
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CD
>>
1>2>3&K=CD>S&K>3
>>
>>2804605
Sonic and knuckles in my autistic opinion is the best of the series if only for the music in flying battery zone
>>
>>2804605
S3&K>2>1>CD
>>
Why is Robotnik taking out his anger on that giant model number 2 anyway?
>>
>>2804642
He's taking a number 2.
Hence the strained face.
It's symbolism my main.
>>
>>2804605
>Should I play Sonic 3 or Sonic and Knuckles?
This is a stupid question.

Which half is better? I'd say Sonic and Knuckles.
>>
>2D
2 > 1 > 3&K > 3 > CD > S&K

>3D
Adv >>> Adv2 > Shit > Everything Else
>>
File: RobotnikFurious.jpg (43 KB, 282x365) Image search: [Google]
RobotnikFurious.jpg
43 KB, 282x365
>>2804642
He got burned on sequels too many times. This was a time before there were very many sequels in the video game world, but plenty of movie sequels. Just when he was beginning to recover from Rambo 2, he ended up seeing 3.

And a little before Sonic 2, his brother convinced him that Rocky 5 was really good. His brother was set to appear in Sonic 2, since Robotnik wanted nothing to do with it. That was before the good doctor ended up watching Rocky 5 and killed his brother in a murderous rage.

Fun fact: Sega wanted input from Eggman on their next game. Unfortunately, the good doctor decided to watch Shrek 2 that day, since he adored the first movie. So great was his wrath that we ended up with Shadow the Hedgehog.
>>
>>2804642
The original japanese version of Sonic 2 was actually a game called Doki Donkey Picnic
>>
CD >2 > 3&K > 1

But I love them all.
>>
File: Soniclosthisrings.jpg (57 KB, 460x349) Image search: [Google]
Soniclosthisrings.jpg
57 KB, 460x349
>>2804669
I remember that one. It was really ambitious, but heavily flawed. Making it open-world was novel, but ultimately a mistake. It was also super cryptic and virtually unbeatable without a guide. "Spindash through deborah cliff to make a tunnel" was supposed to be a clue to tell you to collect 50 rings, hold down for ten seconds, and then jump to enter a bonus stage.
>>
>>2804678
CD > 1 > 3&K > 2

But I also love them all.
>>
Just got to the end...that boss level is brutal. Zero rings. Took me like 2 lives getting used to Metal Sonic's pattern. Then spent literally every other life on Robotnik. Those fucking spikes are always coming at you its hard hitting him without dying.
>>
>>2804692
I found Robotnik a lot easier than the sub boss which kicked my ass over and over again, for robotnik i found the pattern a lot easier to figure out....wait for target to lock, move, hit when he comes down, run to other side of screen and repeat

The sub boss however had a more complicated pattern and an hard to hit, you have to hit him on just the right fucking spot on his forehead or else you die
>>
1>CD>3&k>2
>>
>>2804692

As >>2804736 said, Robotnik is very easy once you figure out the pattern, let him lock on you on the very edge of the screen, then run to the other side, his arms won't ever reach you.

Only hit him when he jumps down and his body gets closer to the floor, that way you'll avoid touching his spike mecha fingers.
>>
>>2804612
>killyourself
>>
>3&k

so i'm going to assume that means everyone itt plays as knuckles in sonic 3?
>>
>>2804781

You can play as Sonic, Sonic & Tails, Knuckles or Tails alone on Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
>>
>>2804781
Do you know what Sonic 3 & Knuckles is? It's one game, split up into two parts. It's not like adding the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge to Sonic 2 which just makes him playable in the game but changes nothing else.
>>
>>2805394
Apparently not, that's all I thought it did...make Knuckles playable
>>
CD >= S3&K > S1 > (Power gap) > S2
>>
>>2805434
Along with seamlessly turning it into one game, adding and changing a number of things of varying significance, it also allows you to play as Tails in the S&K half of the game, as well as Sonic + Tails. So as far as the whole playable characters thing goes, there's that, too.
>>
>>2805451
They didn't actually add anything other than the Super Emeralds hub. Past that it's just Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles put together one after the other, with some minor changes, but I don't think it actually adds new stuff that can't be seen on the stand alone games.

They actually took out the arm robot final boss from Sonic 3.

I know that there is a Rom hack called Sonic 3 Complete that probably has it back, though.
>>
>subjective opinion thread

I like them all, for varying reasons. That's good enough for me.
>>
>>2805458
You still fight the arm boss thing as knuckles, but yeah, retarded that they left that out.
>>
>>2805458
Music changes, new scenes like the transition between Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles and Knuckles leaving the Super Emerald area, new title screen, new level select, the addition of the super emerald bonus stages... there are a number of additions and changes, but as I said, they are of varying significance.

But yeah, some of the changes are controversial, which is why people still enjoy Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles on their own, as well as Sonic 3 Complete now that it is a thing. I preferred Knuckles' old theme even if it's more simplistic, and in merging the two together, they famously ended up seriously ruining the climactic ending of Sonic 3.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is really an oddity. They were always meant to be one game, and by the grace of gaming they became one thanks to that crazy lock-on cartridge, but the sum of it's parts isn't a totally clean thing. It's largely trivial, but Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles on their own aren't exactly the same thing as Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
>>
>>2804642
I always saw it as him trying to squish Sonic with the 2. But Sonic is 2fast.
>>
File: Sonic2_box_jap.jpg (3 MB, 2500x1560) Image search: [Google]
Sonic2_box_jap.jpg
3 MB, 2500x1560
>>2804605
Why does western Sonic always look so edgy?
>>
>>2806770
I don't see the difference.
>>
>>2806785
squinted, lowered brow
>>
Sonic CD is shit

Shit music
Shit level design
Shit bosses
Shit art direction
Shit special stages
Shit time travel gimmick

Yeah, you hipsters can stop pretending to like it now that it's no longer the "niche sonic game"
>>
>>2806770
Japanese Sonic art was awesome.
>>
>>2806791
What is the big deal ? All Sonic are Shit, with Shit level desing, Shot bosses and Shit music.

from first to the last.
>>
File: SonicCD.jpg (183 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
SonicCD.jpg
183 KB, 1440x1080
>>2806791
You say this every time, and every time I remind you that Sonic CD hasn't been niche in ages. It was ported to Windows, it was in Sonic Gems collection, it's on Steam for $5, and for fucks sake, you can play it on your phone for $3.

It hasn't been that Sonic game that only people with Sega CD or emulators can play for a long time. Besides that, aside from emulation Knuckles Chaotix is still a 32X exclusive to this very day, and you don't see ANYBODY calling that one a masterpiece. I mean, it still had it's good points (my favorite special stages along with 8-bit Sonic 1), but holy shit that level design. REALLY did not need five fucking acts for each zone.

The whole hipster argument is crap.

Granted, the time travel gimmick was a bit of a failed experiment, but hey, the whole game was an avant-garde take on Sonic 1, which was already pretty abstract, and somehow it still worked.

The music is weird and not typical of Sonic, especially not 16-bit Sonic. The level design is all kinds of confusing, but not completely labyrinth (though Stardust Speedway can get pretty confusing), the bosses are each their own crazy idea, the art direction is a cacophony of colors but it doesn't look amateurish, with palettes that are either dark and gritty or bright and flashy, I like the special stages a hell of a lot more than Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, or any version of 3D Blast, and the time travel gimmick gave dedicated players an incentive to explore the levels and replay the game in different ways.

I was underwhelmed when I first played it, since I was expecting something more like a successor to Sonic 3 & Knuckles when it's really more like an alternate version of Sonic 1 that came from a parallel universe. It's really different. It's not like Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 & Knuckles at all. But it has it's own character and it grows on you, if you let it.
>>
>>2804736
Mecha Sonic is super easy. At the start of the fight, position yourself on the right side of the screen just before where he lands. Then, do a short jump onto his head just as he lands, bounce off of him three times, and then land. Do the same thing on the other side of the screen and then one last time when he returns to the right side.

Congratulations, you just beat Mecha Sonic in ten seconds.
>>
File: about-nakamuramasato3.jpg (15 KB, 250x375) Image search: [Google]
about-nakamuramasato3.jpg
15 KB, 250x375
>>2806808

>Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 music
>shit

1/10
>>
>>2807096

the only tricky part about him is when he suddenly jumps and launches spikes on all directions, but otherwise yeah, it's easy as fuck. It's just a matter of being good controlling Sonic's jump and landing on mecha's head and not his spikes behind.
>>
>>2805475
The truth, useless thread
>>
>>2804642
I always saw it as Robotnik smashing down the 2 with a great amount of force that his hand ends up cracking it.
>>
>>2807175
that's what it is
>>
>>2804605

Gotta love how the image clearly shows that it originally was a gif but hey gotta compress to jpg right!
>>
>>2806785

Japanese Sonic looks much more relaxed, like a.. "okay time to fight Eggman again."

while U.S. Sonic is like "Aw yeaaaaah gonna kick that Robotnik Asssss and listen to some early 90's rap, fuck fuck, fuck da police!"
>>
>>2804642
He wants to crush Sonic with the big number 2 but he misses.
>>
>>2807304
I think you are trying too hard.
>>
>>2804605
it look like he have a beard.
>>
I downloaded a rom of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and I expected the option to play 2 different games, are Sonic 3 & Knuckles a single game?
>>
>>2807849
fuck you, google it
>>
>>2807849
read the thread.
>>
>>2807849
It's more like Sonic 3: With Knuckles.
>>
>>2807878
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Sonic 3 & Knuckles, is in fact, Sonic 3/Knuckles, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Sonic 3 plus Knuckles. Knuckles is not a game unto itself, but rather another commercial component of a fully functional game made useful by one of the the Sonic 1, Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 cartridges comprising a full game as defined by SEGA.
>>
>>2806850
So much stupid in one post

How can x be a successor to y when x was released years prior?
>>
>>2808896
Not him, Star Wars.
>>
>>2805434
Surprised you don't know this OP, but Sonic 3 & Knuckles was built as one game but was too large to fit on one cartridge so they split it into two games and developed the lock on cartridge to let you play it as was originally intended
>>
>>2804605
>which one is more fun to play all the way through?
Sonic 3 & Knuckles COMPLETE
>>
File: Sonic Classic.jpg (14 KB, 175x288) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Classic.jpg
14 KB, 175x288
>>2808896
I was a kid, I didn't know when Sonic CD came out and I knew nothing about it, and since I had already played 1-S&K and Sonic CD was on a different format on an add-on console, I assumed that it was a totally next-gen game that would have more in common S3&K than Sonic 1.

I never did get the Sega CD, but then one day, I know it was at some point before Windows XP was a thing and we were running Windows 98, I saw Sonic CD for PC in the store and had the chance to finally play it.
>>
>>2808930
I thought it was because of time constraints. I heard somewhere a long time ago that Sonic 3 & Knuckles itself is on the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge and it only used the lock-on to confirm that you owned Sonic 3. But I don't know if there's any truth to that.
>>
>>2809620

None whatsoever.
>>
File: 28deg_jpbox.png (395 KB, 452x723) Image search: [Google]
28deg_jpbox.png
395 KB, 452x723
>>2809042
This
>the most complete Sonic 3 in the world
>now with 100% more Knuckles
>and Knuckles
>>
>>2809702

Anybody else absolutely adore the Japanese classic Sonic releases for their wacky aesthetic and full-color manuals?

...Why the fuck do we never get Japan's awesome shit?
>>
>>2809708
coz you need more attitude
>>
>>2809708
Japan never gave a fuck about sanic, sorry to burst your bubble.
>>
>>2809830

Wasn't even the point of the post.

Nice job there, slick.
>>
>>2809840
Well fuck you too.
>>
>>2809849
Reading comprehension
>>
>>2809708
Color manuals? From Sega? For real? I'm actually surprised.
>>
>>2809708
I think it's because the Japanese Mega Drive logo was red and green, the European Mega Drive logo was blue/brown and the Genesis logo was silver. So they thought the red and green didn't work stylistically in other regions. That's really the only reason I can think of.

Europe got the American style box arts most of the time, except for Sonic 1 which looks like this. No edgy western sonic but no squiggly lines either. Shame.
>>
>>2809921
Kek
>>
>>2806791
Hating on Sonic CD, the most beloved game in the franchise, is pretty hipster actually.
>>
File: 1290848394148.jpg (371 KB, 562x900) Image search: [Google]
1290848394148.jpg
371 KB, 562x900
>>2804736
>>2804743
imo one of the shittiest bosses of the whole franchise.

I don't really know about rating the games...
I find going back to S1 a little rough due to the lack of spindash.
But the games really play mostly the same and even has a lot of the same themes recycled. I guess I'll go with 3&K. It has the choice of characters, better two player mode and generally seems very polished.
>>
File: Image3.jpg (317 KB, 1600x1435) Image search: [Google]
Image3.jpg
317 KB, 1600x1435
>>2809902
>>
File: Image4.jpg (476 KB, 1600x1415) Image search: [Google]
Image4.jpg
476 KB, 1600x1415
>>2810905
>>
File: capa_sonic1gg.jpg (164 KB, 497x700) Image search: [Google]
capa_sonic1gg.jpg
164 KB, 497x700
>>2809905

I actually love that cover of Sonic 1, it's just so comfy.

I also typically prefer the JP ones over the americanized Sonic, but this cover has always been one of my favorites too.
>>
>>2811028
>that GG cover
Pure magic. So many good memories from that game.
>>
>>2811379

Actually I got a bootleg Sonic 1 cart for my Genesis, and that's the cover I got with it. So I'll always remember Sonic 1 for Genesis when I look at that art.

However, years later I got myself the GG game, really good game too.
>>
>>2810493
>Sonic CD, the most beloved game in the franchise
>>
>>2811028
The only good 8-bit Sonic. Somehow, they just seemed to get worse with each game.
>>
>>2814514

I liked Sonic Chaos.

I still need to try Triple Trouble

Sonic Blast on GG was really bad, though.
>>
>>2814547
Sonic Chaos was decent. I was so hyped for Triple Trouble back in the day, but I think it's one of the worst ones. I actually played Sonic 1 after playing Chaos, Triple Trouble, and 2. I used to think Game Gear just couldn't have a good Sonic game until I finally got the chance to play it.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.