[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What game(s) are you really good at and what's your practice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9
File: practice man practice.png (1 MB, 650x1000) Image search: [Google]
practice man practice.png
1 MB, 650x1000
What game(s) are you really good at and what's your practice routine? How do you stay motivated? I've read Full Extent of the Jam, all the sirlin stuff, plenty of FGC articles, even some of Alex Kierkegaard's articles (Arcade Culture is a great essay in spite of its author) and I'm curious about people's strategies and philosophies.
>>
Third Strike mostly. I'm always playing that and a second fighting game I'm usually switching between. Like, I would try to get good at kof 98, then grow up of it and try Real Bout, then Last Blade, Garou, Rival School... but Third Strike is the only one I never drop so my skills stay somewhat solid.
>How do you stay motivated?
I'm into fighting games. I have a brother. He's into fighting games. Now guess what.
>>
>>2804585

Nice. Always loved fighters but never got any good at them. Never had a group to play with, tried to get one going in MvC2 when it hit XBL, I went 20-0 the first night and nobody wanted to play after that. Whoops.

Only game I ever got any good at was Pop'n Music, up to the level 40 mark anyway. I got into the music so much and the feeling of "playing" it that I just played for hours every day for at least a year.
>>
>>2804572
i don't practice. ever heard of save states? i'd rather practice for my exams you freaks.
>>
This is an interesting thread but unfortunately I don't have too much to contribute at the moment. I was a pretty serious Quake 3 player until I moved to Japan earlier in the year; I would practice a couple of hours a day and it was never a chore.

Now I'm looking for a new game to master. Maybe a SHMUP.
>>
File: NJHdc8R.jpg (18 KB, 400x317) Image search: [Google]
NJHdc8R.jpg
18 KB, 400x317
I have enough of a life to not play games for children obsessively.
>>
>>2804572
The only genre in which you need practice is fighting games or shooters.

If you seriously need or feel the need to practice in any other genre you're wasting time you could use to do better things like playing other games, especially for games that don't have any form of player vs player interaction.

>B...but muh SHMUPs

Absolutely pointless, it's literally a score dickwaving contest and not even virtuosism like being an extremely good musician because at least actual virtuosism doesn't have a skill ceiling.

>and I'm curious about people's strategies and philosophies.

There's no strategy son, just like everything in life, you keep doing it over and over again, you don't magically become better at something by reading a book or following a philosophy or strategy, you just practice regularly, like every serious person does.
You can memorize all possible openings and known tactics in chess and you can try to be a pretentious idiot and read Sun Tzu, it won't make you better at chess, you can watch as many videos of pro players and study their reactions and combos, you won't get better. A game is just like any other tool or instrument, you have to familiarize yourself with it at first, then you learn how to use it, you learn how to use it well, you master it and then you can afford to go full meta with it once you have the necessary amount of knowledge and comfort with it. If life was that easy there won't be the usual jokes about Ikea furnitures.

tl;dr Practice makes everything perfect.
>>
>>2804572
Games I like; too many to list. Liking them is my motivation. Practice routine is practice and don't get hit.

>>2804925
3/troll
>>
>>2804989

>>The only genre in which you need practice is fighting games or shooters.

This guy obviously doesn't know shit about high-level puzzle gaming
>>
File: 12.jpg (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
4 KB, 225x225
>>2804968
this desu baka senpai
>>
File: 0.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
Competitive gaming fucking sucks, no one in the real world gives a shit about your virtual achievements and even among skilled players chances are your personal best is kind of rubbish anyone and some asian kid can do way better than you ever could on youtube, 4chan is all about putting others down under the excuse of banter, if you have a game you love for the love of god do not try to post or fit in with their respective communities.

I hate videogames and I want to die.
>>
>>2806156
>about high-level puzzle gaming
You could have just left that part out and been more correct.
>>
>>2806176
>even among skilled players chances are your personal best is kind of rubbish anyone and some asian kid can do way better than you ever could

>tfw when bemani player
>>
>>2804572
>Alex Kierkegaard
So is it really true he died in a car crash months ago?
>>
>>2804572

action/platform games. Ninja Gaiden series, Castlevania series, MegaMan series, GnG series, Battletoads, ect

practice by playing the games over and over and over....after Ive beaten the game legit a few times, if there are advanced strategies I want to practice I'll use save states
>>
>>2806483
Wut?
>>
>>2804989
In a broad sense I completely agree. I'm sure there are some niche games that are exceptions but you're right. Especially about practicing single player games.

If you enjoy playing a game to death you will get better at it naturally (and obviously) but I would never suggest to anyone to practice a game.
>>
>>2806492

How many months? He has posts up from mid-August in the forum for his low-quality philosophy site: http://orgyofthewill.net/
>>
>>2806674
I like to imagine every autist on the shmup general to be like him.
>>
>>2806674
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/116294139/#116317262
>icycalm is dead

>he died in an illegal street race in sweden last week

>it's all pretty hush hush right now but I and other members of the CULT are working on a way to recover all of his unpublished files and thinking how to best preserve and continue his legacy

>you should read his world warriors, samurai spirits, gekka no kenshi, and power stone reviews. truly the best writing on fighting games ever.

>will be sure to post them once we figure out how and when to present them.
This was dated September 16, so I'm guessing around September 9 more or less.
>>
>>2806687

Huh. Seems dubious, but haha illegal street racing does sound like something he might do. Anyway if he did die then it's probably for the best. Seeing as he seemed likely to eventually have kids, and of course abuse them.
>>
>>2808069
I doubt he was getting laid that much with statements like this.
>Ultimately, I reject sexuality because of the impurity of its reproductive process. The smartest girl I've ever met is a monkey compared to me, the smartest woman I have HEARD of is a child, and I am going to mix up the genes of my brain with THAT? The subhumans will find this outrageous, but the subhumans are addicted to a bunch of chemicals in the brain and can't see beyond an orgasm, so of course they'll be outraged; they have their eyes ON THE NEXT HIT, not on the future. And besides, their genes are so mediocre that the worst that can happen to them by mixing is more mediocrity, and if they are lucky they might even get a lucky hit. That's why sexual reproduction is indeed a sound strategy — IF YOU ARE MEDIOCRE.
>Now it's true that in the long term, if I get a good wife, and if our children mix with other good children from good families and have many descendants, a higher race, or at any rate a higher tribe will result, as with the aristocrats of old. But there is no more higher caste to protect and nurture them today, and my son could very well pick up some plebeian slut because she is pretty. He wouldn't be compelled to find a wife FROM WITHIN HIS CASTE, because THERE SIMPLY WOULDN'T BE ONE. Also, I wouldn't have many children because it's not the custom anymore. What modern wife would agree to give birth five or ten times? Also, I want immediate results, if possible, not a hundred years after I die. Ergo, the only way forward for us is cloning.
>>
>>2808229

Haha I hadn't read that one. I think I've seen others where he talks more positively about the prospect of mating, though. He's clearly interested; he talks repeatedly about the potential of his superior genes, and about the fascinating (to creepy, secretly lonely him) PUA culture and what it gets right and wrong. Plus he needs admirers that are tied to him too strongly to be driven away by his scorn. Unless somebody actually offered him access to a cloning service sometime, I would expect him to eventually take the easy way out (which in this case would be to follow his urges for sex and for sycophants into fatherhood) and then find a narcissistic philosophical justification for it after the fact.
>>
File: professional atheism.webm (3 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
professional atheism.webm
3 MB, 500x281
>>2808229
>The smartest girl I've ever met is a monkey compared to me
>>
>>2808451
Roosh and a bunch of other PUAs he followed couldn't take any of his shit and banned him from their comments section.
>>
I've been meaning to get really good at Puzzle bobble and Metal Slug.

Puzzle Bobble sounds kinda dumb, but a 1CC is actually pretty difficult.

I haven't really started practicing trying to actually get good but I will probably after Christmas.
>>
File: 1444618663074s.jpg (4 KB, 167x170) Image search: [Google]
1444618663074s.jpg
4 KB, 167x170
>>2808229
>but the subhumans are addicted to a bunch of chemicals in the brain and can't see beyond an orgasm, so of course they'll be outraged; they have their eyes ON THE NEXT HIT, not on the future.

>died street racing

>but this man was addicted to a bunch of chemicals in the brain and couldn't see beyond an adrenaline surge; he had his eyes ON THE NEXT HIT, not on the future.
>>
File: 1433348999696s.jpg (3 KB, 122x125) Image search: [Google]
1433348999696s.jpg
3 KB, 122x125
>>2804572
>What game(s) are you really good at
The ones I play most.
what's your practice routine?
Playing them.
How do you stay motivated?
I want to have fun.
>>
>>2808229
That really sounds like someone who struggles to effectively socialize trying to justify his situation by shifting the blame onto other people for being inferior. Typical complaining Internet post wrapped in too many words and presented in a way that could make him seem philosophical instead of just bitter.
>>
>>2806163
what kind of weeabo shit
>>
>>2808229
who wrote that? sounds like a neckbeard tier sperglord who will never get laid
>>
>>2804989
Racing anon. It's more high level than fightan because that shit can be done for real.
>>
File: HEY YOU.jpg (21 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
HEY YOU.jpg
21 KB, 210x240
>>2808982
>Implying I can't go out and kick some ass

Get serious.
>>
File: VEMUh.jpg (71 KB, 461x346) Image search: [Google]
VEMUh.jpg
71 KB, 461x346
>>2808846
>That really sounds like someone who struggles to effectively socialize trying to justify his situation by shifting the blame onto other people for being inferior.
You perfectly described Icy's entire worldview in a nutshell.

>>2808869
He's not that bad looking from the few photos of himself that are online, but he does look a bit autistic.
>>
>>2806546
I think he was referring to rhythm games. That shit is hard once you start playing competitively.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.