[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone /manual/ here? >used to look forward to reading those
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: ocarinainstructionmanual.jpg (402 KB, 1405x1011) Image search: [Google]
ocarinainstructionmanual.jpg
402 KB, 1405x1011
Anyone /manual/ here?

>used to look forward to reading those interesting manuals
>manuals are extinct now

I liked the novelty of the extra information in it.

Who else with me?
>>
I was always considered weird because I'd open a brand new game and skim through the booklet before playing it.
>>
>>2804047
That's not why you were considered weird.
>>
>>2804059
I guess you're right, but that was one of the "weird" things I did
>>
>>2804047
How is that weird?

Get game, read rules, play game. You would do the same thing for a party game, or a board game, or a pen and paper game. Video games just have the benefit of having the ability to convey their information and rules contextually within the game itself nowadays, and there's nothing really wrong with that concept, though execution is generally lacking.
>>
>>2804047

>Spending time at my buddy's place for his birthday
>His mother got him a new game for his birthday
>He rips the box apart, pulls out the cartridge and throws everything away including the manual

Stopped hanging out with him after that
>>
>>2804089
Did you consider you might have autism?
>>
I ordered a copy of Persona 4 Golden the other day, and it didn't come with shit, not even a little slip on the inside of the case. It had tabs at the top and the bottom taunting me though.

This is truly the darkest timeline
>>
I used to trace the artwork from my Sonic and Zelda manuals. I also remember asking a babysitter to read me Mario 3's manual like it was a story book.
>>
I'd need to double check but I remember most wii u games still having great manuals. Probably not as good as some other eras however
>>
>>2804089
I would've been speechless
>>
>>2804139

Did you consider killing yourself?

Fucking faggot.
>>
>>2804823
Where do download complete manual libraries per console?
>>
>>2804823
whoops didn't mean to quote you
>>2804835
>>
>>2804089 here

I just want to let >>2804139 know that >>2804823
is not me

That was a very rude reply >>2804823, very rude indeed.
>>
>>2804835

Good question (not him, though)! Usually I try Vimm's Lair, Replacement Docs, and Emuparadise. If that doesn't work, or the results are seriously unsatisfying, (you would not believe the pixelated, bleary, low-res garbage some people think is perfectly acceptable for a manual scan) then I go to Google and start searching the hard way.

Despite this, I still have considerable gaps in my collection. :( Apparently, there _are_ some things the Internet just does not have.
>>
>>2804089
>>He rips the box apart, pulls out the cartridge and throws everything away including the manual

I used to this and I hate myself for it.

Despite owning about 40 N64 games, I took such shit care of them that most of them don't work and I don't recall ever holding on to a SINGLE manual.
>>
>>2804047
That isn't weird. I would read the manual of each game I bought religiously. I would also compare the smell of each manual. That fresh ink smell.
>>
File: cool leg money.gif (340 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
cool leg money.gif
340 KB, 500x364
>tfw getting into genesis
>at least half the games out there are CIB
>>
>>2805721
I use flashcarts and modchips, so sometimes I'd like to see a manual, I actually plan on getting an e-reader for them eventually
>>
File: 1412042601440.jpg (201 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1412042601440.jpg
201 KB, 500x376
>>2804042
>play new game immediately without reading manual
>browse manual after losing interest in game
>tfw finding demo codes
>>
The old Elder Scrolls games would have cool little introductions in their manuals, talking about all the cool shit you could do in the game and discussing role playing in general. Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, even Oblivion had this.

Skyrim comes around, and what does it have? Nothing. They knew their audience. They didn't even try to make a role playing game, just an action game with a couple stats.
>>
>>2804042
I remember the OoT manual being full of mistranslations. They said the fairy ocarina vanishes after being used - it's supposed to say it shimmers. I know there were a couple more mistakes but I can't remember them now.
>>
>>2806162
Looking back at it, Bethesda even did that with Fallout 3. Does Fallout 4 even have a manual?
>>
File: 1371321146857.jpg (13 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
1371321146857.jpg
13 KB, 180x180
>>2804042
>mom buys new game for you
>car ride home
>tear open box to read manual
>MFW
>>
I still have the manual and a big game guide for diablo 2. Not sure why I bought it, not even like much. But it's ok when your, well on the can.
>>
Still have diablo 2 manual and big game guide. Not sure why? But kinda ok to look through some times.
>>
>>2804042
I'm quite young, but I got to see the Disney games' manuals. They were some hot shit.
>>
File: EarthSiege_manual_69.jpg (189 KB, 655x799) Image search: [Google]
EarthSiege_manual_69.jpg
189 KB, 655x799
Kinda have to
>>
>>2806404
>read while they are in home depot

man my imagination went wild when reading the super metroid manual
>>
>>2806180
In my EU copy, Saria is referred to as Salia throughout.

God, I loved manuals. I miss them.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.