[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SNES JRPG thread! While I really enjoy old school western RPGs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: dualorb2_shot53.png (13 KB, 256x222) Image search: [Google]
dualorb2_shot53.png
13 KB, 256x222
SNES JRPG thread!

While I really enjoy old school western RPGs like Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Arcanum, what made me crazy was JRPGs, especially SNES ones.

Some of my hipster picks are:

Live a Live: Not really a hipster pick, but the game is just fucking awesome, a lot of different characters to play, each one with REALLY different gameplay (a full horror thriller with 0 fights, a ninja mission, Street Fighter, etc). In my opinion it's the best JRPG for SNES, even better than the great classics because how creative it is. Of course it has some flaws, like the battle system is not that smooth, but even so it's a great game.
Dual Orb II: Generic JRPG, but I just fucking love the graphics on this one (pic related), the fact that every character and enemy had a attack animation, pretty much like BoF2, also made me crazy.
Emerald Dragon: I played this one mostly for the plot (generic as fuck dragon x grill romance, love it) but I never got bored of the battle system, even though you just control the main character in fight. This is a personal favorite.
Rudra no Hihou: Already a cult classic, the fact that you learn new spells by writing their names is a pretty unique system. Of course you can just search a faq for the most OP spells, but what's truly cool is finding prefixes and suffixes through the game and making your own spells. Also great graphics on this one.

Of course these are just hipster picks for translated games, and there's also a shitton of non-translated games that seems to be great.

Also did anyone ever played Arabian Nights? I waited so long for the translation but never got the time or the patience to play it.
>>
Play Wizardry 1-3 to see what old school really means. SFC version if you want.
>>
>>2803647
That screenshot is awesome.

Never seen an RPG use that perspective before, at least as good as that.
>>
Live a Live was a really cool one. It might be a hipster pick honestly, it has some credit now but it's still a relatively obscure game I would say.
>>
File: Robotrek.jpg (14 KB, 404x266) Image search: [Google]
Robotrek.jpg
14 KB, 404x266
Are there any other SNES JRPGs that give you complete control over your party members' stats?
>>
>>2803647
Daily reminder that Earthbound is a 6/10, Breath of Fire a 4/10 and Breath of Fire 2 a 5/10.

Also the best SNES JRPGs are romancing saga 3 and Uncharted waters: New Horizons

Those are FACTS.
>>
I'll try Rudra if Ghideon Zhi will ever get off his ass and fix the remaining bug in his translation. Of course, there'd still be at least one other (fatal) bug left in the game, but that wouldn't be his responsibility.
>>
>>2803647
Try Metal Max Returns, the Romancing SaGa series(they're made by the same guy behind Rudra no Hihou by the way), Monstania and Dark Law, they're all pretty solid games though they're a bit more advanced than the average RPG.
If you want good looking games there's also Treasure Hunter G, but the game's so so in the actual gameplay.
If you like Fallout though you should really play Metal Max, you'll have tons of fun with it.
>>2803714
Dark Law is the first that comes to mind, but it's a bit hard to get into it because the levelling is slow and it's easy to build bad characters, if you don't have the time to experiment with the system I really suggest you to use a FAQ.
>>2803727
>romancing saga 3
Don't cheat anon, that's literally the only SNES JRPG that has still an extremely active romhack scene.
>>2803737
The biggest problem with his patch is that it completely messes up the Kotodama, or Mantra as they called it.
That was to be expected though, it's already admirable that they decided to mess wih the game's system in that way, a pity the result is a broken mess.
>>
>>2803793
I played Monstania a long time ago, it's a very fun SPRG even if I can't compare it with the classics.

Also I need to play Romancing SaGa 3, all I remember from the game was playing it and getting stuck on a dungeon against a boss I couldn't kill. It really looks quite complex and it makes me want to play it now.
>>
>>2803793

Could he not have simply left the Mantra untranslated, then? I mean, shit, the game looked incredible even with a supposedly rushed third act.
>>
>>2803823

Fourth, beg pardon.
>>
>>2803815
Was it Algernon, the rat horde?
Romancing SaGa 3 is a bit complex but not as much as Romancing SaGa 2, it's actually one of the best entries to get in the series since it's quite relaxed gameplay wise, you just need to learn how to play the game and adapt to its style, a lot of the people in the SaGa threads started with it and then got into the more complex titles with ease.

Great game, it's even more amazing once you learn about all its glitches because they allow you to make incredible things, not to mention the enormous amount of fan made content for it.
>>2803823
Of course he could but that would have meant playing with moonrunes for spells, not that it's hard to learn Katakana, but I guess they decided to mod the system for general coherency, you can't really release a translation patch that doesn't make the cornerstone of the game readable.
>>
File: Golden-Sun-The-Lost-Age-Battle.jpg (66 KB, 580x385) Image search: [Google]
Golden-Sun-The-Lost-Age-Battle.jpg
66 KB, 580x385
Not /vr/, but Golden Sun has similar battle scenes, except they look like they've been blown up and look a little shit.
>>
Figured I'd ask, but is there any major difference between the Mystic Ark translations for those who have played both aside from slight terminology differences?
>>
File: MysticArk.jpg (227 KB, 965x701) Image search: [Google]
MysticArk.jpg
227 KB, 965x701
>>2803848
I played the Aeon Genesis one and played the game in Japanese, it's pretty good except a few minor lines here and there, don't know about the other one though.

Now this is another game which I forgot to mention, great atmosphere and fucking amazing OST, seriously some of the best battle themes ever made together with great BGM, a shame that the battle sysem is basically copypasted from 7nth Saga, the game would have been much better if they spent some time coming up with something different.
Also glorious Yamada art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5e-90ZzWt4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukAxDKMUR6I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVVP2nN5Mrs&index=3&list=PL73781EB53431B44D
>>
>>2803793
>that's literally the only SNES JRPG that has still an extremely active romhack scene.
FFVI bro.

It may not be as active as it used to be, but plenty of hacks and bugfixes are being made still.
>>
I'm always looking for more snes jrpgs that have interesting quirks in their battle systems, like magna braban, romancing saga 3 (can't wait for 2 to get transated), super shell monster story, treasure of the rudras, live a live etc.

Basically any game where magic/special ability use isn't as restricted as in your average JRPG
>>
>>2803874
Man, you're right, kind of shameful I forgot since a lot of people who worked for RomaSaGa 3's patches also worked for FFVI's patches, no wonder the put SaGa music in there.
>>2803878
Try Dark Law, it has an interesting ability system that allows you to roleplay much like SaGa does, although it works in a different way.

Metal Max is also nice as you pilot tanks that can be totally pimped, like adding 5 cannons or something, you even get an ambulance van to modify as you see fit, change engines, add air conditioning systems, armor tiles, CPU, messing with loads and general weapon setups, the combat on foot is not half bad either, but admittedly, the tanks and vehicles are the shining pride of the series, and a well deserved one if I may say so. The exploration is top notch as it's a real sandbox JRPG like the first two Romancing SaGa with only three minor bottlenecks and the world building is absolutely incredible and really well done.
>>
>>2803896
those really sound interesting, I'll be sure to check them out, thanks

Metal max kinda reminds me of Front Mission for the snes going by that description
>>
>>2803909
It is kinda similar in a way but it works much better, there's quite a lot of depth in the system but it's very easy to get into, the best part for me is that Tanks are scattered all over the world, some are even buried, so the first time you just have a great time just wandering around and finding Tanks in all sorts of places, it also helps that the game doesn't have a quest system as you can do events in any order you want, and even after defeating the "final boss" you can still keep on playing and exploring.
It's a greatly underrated gem.

The only thing wrong with this game is random encounters and the fact that bounties are random encounters in certain areas, later on in the series they gave bounty monsters avatars so they're much easier to find than in the first two games.
>>
>>2803865
Shame what they did to 7th Saga as well (making american version harder just to make your money worth). The game don't have a lot of strategy and making it a grindfest is fucking retarded.
>>
>>2803946
Pretty much, the game would be much better without that retarded enemy powerleveling.
>>
>>2803831
Yep, that's him.

It was like a fuckton of ages ago but I still remember.

Now spoiler me, was there something I could do to get out of there or to kill him?
>>
>>2803978
>actually trying to start a console war

>>>/v/
and stay there, vermin
>>
File: gfs_15813_2_5.jpg (71 KB, 792x692) Image search: [Google]
gfs_15813_2_5.jpg
71 KB, 792x692
>>2803647
Dual Orb looked good but it was so fucking generic it just made me feel delirious playing it and wonder if it's an elaborate parody of the JRPG genre. Also what the hell were they thinking not bothering to make more than 1 combat theme? Even the final bosses used the same song, come on. I can see how it's a hipster pick because I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone but the most die-hard classic JRPG fans with a hankering for something new. Weapon upgrading was mildly interesting though.

And yeah, I've played Arabian Nights. It's decent. The graphics are good and the setting and story are fairly unique, however the balance is ass; I've played it years ago but remember it being very very easy with some bullshit sudden difficulty spike bosses. The card collection gimmick is interesting but pointless in 90% of the fights. Still worth a play I guess.

Personal recommendations:

Adventures of Hourai High: "mundane" JRPG set in a Japanese high school. Great atmosphere with lots of humor, one of the few legitimately funny games in the genre. Lots of secrets and optional party members that incentivizes you to explore. Class system somewhat similar to FFV's (but MUCH shallower and kinda broken with a lot of trap options) where you join and master school clubs to gain abilities. Balance is ass with the highest encounter rate I've seen in JRPGs and massive EXP gains but worth playing it just for the atmosphere. Make sure to run from lots of fights if you don't want to end up completely invincible half way through the game though.

Nekketsu Tairiku Burning Heroes (pic): Generic JRPG with 8 scenarios (although they're fairly repetative, reusing bosses and dungeons), a limit break system and AI-controlled party. Not much to say here, it has a few mildly interesting ideas but is fairly generic. Mostly recommending this one because it was my first untranslated JRPG and it kinda grew on me as my personal pet game.
>>
File: 14480641_p0.jpg (606 KB, 1200x653) Image search: [Google]
14480641_p0.jpg
606 KB, 1200x653
>>2803968
Hahaha, that's what I thought, everyone gets smacked by Algernon the first time around.

Run away from the battle and go back to the entrance and check the exit, Nina, the girl from Kidlant will open it for you so you can get out, Algernon is a early game trap like many in the series, remember, you CAN run away from bosses in SaGa, it's not like most other JRPGs which lock you in a battle, running away never fails either.

You will get another quest later in which you'll have to fight Algernon again to save Nina, you can make the fight easier by completing another subquest which gives you an item that damages Algernon every turn, it's marginally useful but it can really help you for a final push since you'll need to defeat Algernon in a single turn to win the fight.
>>
>>2803727
Uncharted Waters is a kick ass game, but it's a port of a PC game and thus better played on DOS.
>>
>>2803991
I was going to recommend Hourai High on the OP but I forgot. In my opinion is a game you play most for the plot though, since the game itself is, like you said, easy as fuck. But it's worth because the game is really fun.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.