[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SNES Emulation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
The emulation General Wiki section about bsnes/higan is very confusing. I don't understand from this article what is recommended to use ...
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Super_Nintendo_emulators
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Bsnes

What I understood:
bsnes is now higan. but there is higan and bsnes. newest version is higan.

Article says:
>higan (formerly bsnes)
>higan's SNES emulator, bsnes

Download links:
bsnes (higan) v0.95 (dead link)
bsnes v0.73
higan v9.95

I downloaded higan, but it doesn't read any snes games, apperently it reads only super famicon, i guess.
These articles need to be reworked and someone needs to tell how to open snes games. Do I need the so called "snespurify" that is not included ?
>>
>>2801317
correction: *higan v0.95 not v9.95
>>
>>2801317
>Doesn't even know how to work an emulator

get out
>>
>>2801324
eat my ass
>>
I used to follow emulation til about 2005 when at some point all the programmers collectivly shoved their heads up their asses. What the fuck is all this library binary source code faggot shit? How is that helpful to someone just looking to play Chrono Trigger
>>
It was called bsnes up until something like v083 at which point it became the Higan suite comprised of multiple emulators by the same author. The SNES part of Higan is still called bsnes.

v073 is well liked because the subsequent version ripped out most of the functionality; accurate SGB emulation, fullscreen, cross platform support, etc. A bunch of that was later reincorporated but so were terrible things like mandatory advanced memory mapping through cartridge folders which is widely hated and seriously hampered usability.

So basically it's recommended to avoid Higan itself like the plague. If you want to use it then either use bsnes 073 which is the last version before the bullshit, or use RetroArch and its bsnes-Higan core.

I think there are a few weird projects like bsnes-classic or bsnes+, but I don't rate those at all.
>>
>>2801345

Get a multi-system frontend that does the heavy lifting for you (retroarch comes to mind, assuming you're not on OS X) and quit being such a fucking faggot.

OP, that advice goes for you as well. Do _not_ use Higan straight up, you will run into fifty shades of autism regarding cartridge folders and chip ROMs. Use retroarch/openemu or a standalone build of BSNES (_not_ Higan).
>>
Higan was made with accuracy in mind and therefore it only supports the Japanese versions as those are the most accurate.
>>
>>2801351
Aaah, okay, thank you very much. That was very informative. I wish the wiki article was more clearly formulated like this.
>>
>>2801369
and how do you open a game in higan? it doesnt even open japanese roms
>>
>>2801378
Are you running a Japanese OS and a Japanese proxy?
>>
>>2801380
what?
>>
>>2801380
Japanese emulators have a reputation for being hard to use but Higan is probably worse than any of them.
>>
>>2801384
Having to mount the game image with an external program certainly makes it hard for beginners.
>>
>>2801317

seriously. you couldn't just google what's the best SNES emulator? all the emulation sites recommend it right away. i've been emulating for over a decade and i've never even heard of higan. kill yourself.
>>
File: 1445534412668.jpg (18 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1445534412668.jpg
18 KB, 600x600
>>2801416
>>
>>2801361
Okay, thank you very much. I downloaded bsnes and it runs roms out of the box. That is all I wanted.
>>
>>2801421
Enjoy your shitty accuracy. But most people don't even notice what they're all missing on.
>>
>>2801423
I won't miss anything, mate, I just wanna play.
>>
>>2801426
Games are missing features in inaccurate emulators to the point of becoming incompletable. Learn to get Higan running and you'll see the differences.
>>
>>2801423

You are just a fucking cancerous little prick, aren't you? You'll say any absurdist non-sensical bullshit to wreck a thread.
>>
>>2801430
i thought bsnes is higan
>>
>>2801434
Higan is more than just Bsnes.
>>
>>2801430

Except he _just_ said he was downloading BSNES, aka proto-higan. Learn to read please. He's not missing shit.
>>
>>2801430
>>2801438
Why should one even try higan? Are you an autist? You can just use Retroarch with higan core, like >>2801361 recommended.

Be smart.
>>
>>2801439
>proto
Exactly. It's a less accurate previous version without proper handling of games and other inaccuracies.

>>2801441
Is this a joke? Setting up Retroarch is a lot more complicated than handling Higan.
>>
>>2801441

Exactly. Can't go wrong with a multi-system frontend. All the benefits, none of the autism.
>>
File: 1444547635637.jpg (63 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1444547635637.jpg
63 KB, 625x626
>>2801450
>>
>>2801450

>Exactly. It's a less accurate previous version without proper handling of games and other inaccuracies.

Horseshit. It's _slightly_ less accurate, and in return you don't have to deal with byuu's cartridge-folder and system-ROM insanity.

Totally worth the trade-off.

>Is this a joke? Setting up Retroarch is a lot more complicated than handling Higan.

I've never used retro-arch myself (openemu), but considering all the bullshit you have to go through with "purification", the previously-maligned "rom folders", and actually having to provide authentic dumps of the fucking chip ROMs in certain cases, I seriously doubt that.
>>
File: 1403105035838.png (169 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1403105035838.png
169 KB, 499x499
>>2801450
Maybe this is byuu himself and he's mad because no one likes his emulator.
>>
>>2801480

I dunno. Might be.I still think it's a shame how he just went off the rails as time wore on. For awhile there I think he was even severely depressed.
>>
And I thought the shmup community was shit.
>>
Just use snes9x, or the higan on retroarch. Standalone higan is more trouble than its worse, especially when snes9x is so relatively easy to use, and a difference will only be found on a select few games. An important difference, never
>>
>>2801317
OP just use ZSNES. /thread
>>
>i don't know how to use emulators i just want to play snes games
download snes9x

>i still don't know how to use emulators but i want a simple one that emulates everything
download bizhawk

>alright now I'm starting to understand how emulators work, i want something with more features
download retroarch

>i am become autismos the devourer of gentoo, i can only play 100% accurate emulators
mame, higan, mess
>>
>>2802880
i had that one before until i found out how inaccurate it is. i loved it though, i still miss the retro menu with the flames.

i have bsnes now and retroarch and im trying out both.
bsnes has too few options in my opinion, i dont like it. gonna mess around with retroarch now, i like it, it's mysterious.

coming from a point where i played nes games for a long time, i was kinda shocked booting up snes mario world. the graphics kinda suck. it looks kinda worse than most nes games, but i guess its just the art direction, as clock tower looks amazing,
>>
>bsnes-classic
bsnes-classic is a fork of bsnes v73 that aims to backport emulation improvements from current higan while keeping the features of the older version's Qt GUI. There is also another fork based on bsnes-classic known as bsnes-plus that focuses on adding debugging features to the GUI.

I think I'm gonna use this or RetroArch.
>>
>>2802901
http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=5681
Have fun.
>>
>>2805062
but this has no higan core does it?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.