[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many of you did this back in the day? How many still do it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
How many of you did this back in the day? How many still do it?
>>
Some of my earliest childhood memories involve doing this and tinkering with that damned toaster trying to make something appear on the screen. Every time I got it to work it felt like a victory. If I acquired another NES I'd probably be using an Everdrive so hopefully this wouldn't be a major issue anymore.
>>
>>2800496
Of course.

I hose them with contact cleaner now, and I never looked back.
>>
>>2800505
Probably best to change out that 72-pin connector, too. Usually the easiest way to fix having to shuffle the cart around for 10 minutes.
>>
I did it all the time as a kid. Over time I realized that blowing doesn't do shit for fixing the green screen, and what's most important is positioning the cartridge just right, with a nudge to the left or right. That's what gets the game working right.
>>
I used to shake them.
>>
Blowing works but not for the reason you thought when you were a kid. You're not blowing dust off, you're very slightly dampening the contacts with your breath and that lets the pins of the connector scrub a little bit of the corrosion off the pads. Corrosion is also why lots of games only worked right if the pins were positioned JUST, because there are clearer sections.

If you were TOO slobbery with it though it certainly would have caused more corrosion than it corrected and improving the tension on your pins in the connector (to cut through thicker layers of corrosion) is much more effective than polishing your pads - but you don't have to disassemble the NES to polish pads.
>>
>>2800743

well that sounds like a load of shit if i ever read one. but thanks for typing out your brain fart though, anon.
>>
I just turned the console off, removed the cartridge and try again. Never blew in one.

The first time I saw someone do it, I was very confused. It seemed stupid.
>>
>>2800756
I'm not that guy, but if you don't realize that water is a good conductor of electricity you should be in school, not 4chan.
>>
Back in the day, my solution for the blink was to wedge in a VHS tape to hold the game under extra pressure.
Blowing was what I saw people do, so I copied doing that too.

My Blinking Light Win has made all of this a distant (and nostalgic) memory. Every game now loads up first time, every time.
>>
>>2801362

the other dude isn't saying the water conducts though, he's saying it aids in the removal of corrosion... that's a new one to me

anyway yeah it's gonna be moisture not dry air that helps, surely, regardless of how it helps

and yeah OP I did it as a kid and I still do it now (although I prefer not to have to do it because I don't fully trust any corrective measure that involves adding water to an electronic device)
>>
>>2801937
I believe that was exactly what he was saying anon
>>
>>2800496
>How many still do it?
I read that as:
>Who's still retarded enough to continue torturing their precious contacts?
>>
I remember the Gameboy manuals explicitly saying not to blow on the cart. So I never did, and was shocked when I saw kids doing it the first time.
>>
I was told it was bad to blow on the cartridge and then I did it once and my dad got mad and flipped the hell out lmao
>>
>>2804001
>i spit in my dads eb cart and now it doesn't work. y he mad?
>>
I used to brush my teeth, or eat a mint candy because I thought having minty breath would help make the game work.
I would also hit the top of the system. My siblings taught me these "tricks."
>>
I used to actually lick the contacts themselves. It worked for the most part. But only now that I am older do I understand why.
>>
>>2804273
You understand that your tongue is magic? Well done. It's an all you can eat buffet after that.
>>
never

i had a cleaner kit from a local video store

i only ever had to use it when renting games and it would work every time

a neighbor kid who was a pretty stupid person in general always blew in his games and most of his collection was pretty fucked up

over at that faglord's house it wasn't uncommon to just give up on a failing cartridge after several minutes

i bet he's dead or in jail now
>>
that shit always works, even today.
>>
>>2800743
This and the fact that most of the time it was the re-seating of the cartridge that actually fixed it
>>
>>2801507
>He needed a BLW

Jesus, just keep your games clean.

I have a toaster, a toploader. I never tkae the toploader out of the box because the toaster is so reliable.
>>
>>2802118
Bah, fuck off, you mongoloid faggot.
>>
>>2800496

We did the blow but I'm curious if me and my brothers were the only ones do this....

I learned this weird trick from my oldest brother where you put the cartridge in the NES but leave it out enough that about a 1/2-inch or maybe 1/8-inch are preventing you from pushing the cartridge down. He would put pressure down and forward so that when the cartridge was able to go down, it would pop itself down and in, creating some vibration and solidifying the connection.

It didn't work ALL the time, but it worked a lot.
>>
>>2800496
I used to until I saw this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gf9mtXnJfM

you may enjoy it
>>
>>2800496
rather than blow them, i used an "eraser pen" to clean them.
>>
>>2807663
I did this but with q-tips
>>
>>2801937
You do know that saliva is corrosive, right? If you spit onto a car and leave it there, the paint in that spot will corrode and fade.
>>
>>2807672

Saliva's not THAT corrosive.
>>
>>2807690
It takes awhile to fade paint, but it'll happen reasonably soon. Some of the kids on the block would do it to the neighbor we all hated. Usually on a very hot day, mind you.
>>
>>2806478
A hot gril showed me this like 10-12 years ago. It's funny that I never thought of it as at the time I was a computer repair tech.

I wonder how the idea of blowing into the cart propagated. Did people read it in a mag or something? What do you guys think?
>>
File: le blow on cart meme.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
le blow on cart meme.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>actually blowing on your carts
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.