[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've started playing the Final Fantasy series and I decided
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5
File: 1_final_fantasy_iv.jpg (19 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
1_final_fantasy_iv.jpg
19 KB, 400x240
So I've started playing the Final Fantasy series and I decided to begin with 4. I do have to say, it's pretty fun. The story is neat and I enjoy Cecil's character. Anything you guys wanna talk about regarding this game and the series in general?
>>
>I decided to begin with 4.
This is the worst mistake you could possibly make, short of starting with 10 or 13.

You're going to be judging the others based on 4 now.
>>
>>2799965
Four is the FF that I always recommend to start with
>>
>>2799965
>judging the others based on 4

How is that bad? 4 is pretty middle-of-the-road in terms of quality. I think it's the best one to start with desu senpai
>>
>>2799965
if he started with 6, now that would be a mistake
>>
>>2799965
The difference between this and other retro FFs isn't that huge. For the most part, game play differences are minor. Even the stories and character archetypes are mostly the same.
>>
>>2799965
I started with 4 too. Ended up being a good decision since 5 ended up being better in every way.
>>
>>2799907
>Anything you guys wanna talk about regarding this game and the series in general?

Yes.

FF4 is really fun and I hope you enjoy it. What version are you playing?
>>
>>2799965
Starting with 4 is probably optimal. Because the mechanics are so oversimplified compared to other FF games, the gameplay seems shallow coming from them.
It's like Earthbound. If the world, story, characters, music, etc. weren't all so fucking charming, it would be one of the worst.
>>
>>2801190
Sometimes simpler is better to be honest shaking my head family. Just because FF4 isn't complex doesn't make it shallow.
>>
>>2801257
> Just because FF4 isn't complex doesn't make it shallow.

Actually that's exactly what it means.
>>
>>2801592
>Super Mario Bros. 3 is shallow

k
>>
>>2801642
Super Mario 3 isn't shallow though. Shallow and complex are opposites. This is like you arguing that something being black doesn't make it not white.

FFIV has shallow and not complicated gameplay. That's just a descriptor, not a value judgement. Many people love the game just the way it is. But adoration and praise don't add complexity that was never there to begin with.
>>
>>2801592
So there's no middle ground whatsoever between complex and simple?
>>
>>2801704
Of course there is. I didn't say anything like that at all.
>>
>>2801728
>I didn't say anything like that at all.

You literally did.

>Just because FF4 isn't complex doesn't make it shallow.
>Actually that's exactly what it means.
>>
>>2801751
Something being not complex makes it shallow by definition. That has nothing to do with a middleground between shallow and complex not existing. Of course something can be semi-complex.
>>
>>2801180
OP here. I'm trying out the Project 2 Patch for the SNES rom here:

http://fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/ff4/ff4downloads.htm

I did it like this because I wanted something as close to the original japanese version as I could without resorting to a PSP.
>>
>>2801849
can someone remind me why /vr/ cares so much about the original Japanese in FF4? Does it really matter that much?
>>
>>2801963
The original translation was godawful
>>
File: image.jpg (624 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
624 KB, 1600x1200
>>2799907
You're going to shit your pants when you play 6. It's so evolves compared to FF4. Everything's better: graphics, gameplay, story, the MUSIC. Congrats youre in for a treat with this series. Try not to get burned out though.
>>
File: fiends.png (11 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
fiends.png
11 KB, 150x150
OP here, anyone got tips on beating these guys?

I'm stuck on the blue one, if you need to know.
>>
>>2801975
>Every Character Can Use Every Magic Spell: The Game

>better gameplay than FF4
>>
>>2801997

I think he's weak against lightning...
>>
>>2802016

>implying that each character in ff6 doesn't have a unique ability
>>
>>2801997
Zap the living shit out of him with Lit3/Thundaga. The end.
>>
>>2799907
Once you get to FFVI, I highly recommend using the Woolsey Uncensored patch, specifically the version with bugfixes. It basically takes the original Woolsey localization, and modifies it with bits from the FFVI Advance localization and a couple of fan retranslations to remove censorship and tweak lines that sounded off, while keeping the overall charm of the original localization. It also accurately translates all spells, items, monsters, etc. to what they're supposed to be. There's a couple other tweaks and improvements as well, such as being able to dash without needing an accessory.

I'm currently replaying the game with this patch, and it's very nice. All it's missing is the extra content from the Advance version, but much of it is subpar anyway. Only worthwhile thing about it is the extra super boss fights, and there's hacks that add them to the original game if you want.
>>
>>2802076
Is the block% chance or whatever fixed? Forget what it was. Not that it mattered much though
>>
>>2802083
The Evade glitch? Yes, as long as you use the bugfix version of the patch. Numerous other issues like it are also patched. Only a few things were deliberately unpatched, such as Vanish/Doom.
>>
>>2802085
OP Said he used the Project 2 patch. Is that any good?
>>
>>2802093
Haven't played it, so I wouldn't know. However, it seems pretty solid reading about it. The guy behind the Wooldey Uncensored patch also seems to have made his own modification based on Project 2, which also looks nice, and adds the sprint button as well.
>>
>>2802030
>implying that that even matters when you can cut through FF6 like a buzzsaw even if you're new to it while FF4 will repeatedly fuck you over if you are shitty at the game
>>
>>2802218
Eh, I can think of a few spots that might stump new players relatively early on in the game.

Once you get your magic game going, though, the game loses all semblance of challenge. Even more so once you get the blatantly OP shit like Ultima and Quick.
>>
>>2801178
>in every way

Nope, FF4 has better story and plot and characters. It's also harder in my opinion. FFV has a great battle and customization system but it falls flat on other stuff so nope.

FFVI on the other hand, is better on everything... except battles. It's kinda easy but still good. Actually, when you get the hang of FF, most of them are actually fairly easy too.

OP you're playing one of the hardest. FF3 is the hardest.
>>
>>2802030
Unique abilities in FF6 are weak compared to the materia that you can have them equip.
>>
>>2802076

Unh.... why not just play the fucking Advanced version? With the Restored mod of course, so the graphics and sound aren't shit.

Seriously, the stuff that people do...
>>
>>2801963

No. It used to be a big deal back when we didn't have multiple FF4 ports that fixed everything. Now it's only autists.

We have FF4 Advanced, FF4 Complete collection, FF4 3D... Even it's fucking sequel, The after years. FF4 is literally THE starting point and the one with most versions. All localized.
>>
>>2801790
>Something being not complex makes it shallow by definition.

No, it doesnt actually. It just means its not complex.
>>
>>2802263

Some FFs are better for story, and some are better for the cusmization.

FF1 (well, barely), FF3 and FF6. And also FF7 and FF8, the standard version of FF12 and the international version of FF10 with the Expert Sphere Grid are custom-based.

All the others have unique abilities and the characters involve in their specific way.

I mentioned all FFs that matter, fuck all others. If you want to, play Type 0 or FFXIV but those are borderline spin-offs.
>>
>>2802272
Is the After Years any good? I love the shit out of FF4 but I really haven't heard much about the "sequel".
>>
>>2802316
no but its worth a playthrough if yr a fan
>>
>>2802269
Except the graphics and sound are still inferior, even with said mods. The resolution is lower so there's less visible screen area, and even if the sound samples are from the SNES version, they still sound worse due to the GBA having inherently worse audio than the SNES. And to top it off, there's much more slowdown during battles and when on the airship, and there's no mod to fix that. It's overall an inferior experience with the sole exception of the extra content, which, again, isn't that great.
>>
>>2802316
It has some ok moments, but overall the story is fanfiction-tier, and much of it is a shameless retread of the original. Edward's story is particularly egregious in this regard. IMO the only highlights were Palom's story and some part's of Edge's.
>>
>>2802279
>I mentioned all FFs that matter, fuck all others.
>failed to mention FF9 and FF4

lel, kek, and jej
>>
>>2802316
Storywise its an abortion. Treated a whole lot of the old cast like shit and most of the new cast is nonexistent. Cecil and Rydia were probably the worst treated from the old. Former was basically mind controlled for almost the entire game, the latter spent the entire game jobbing to the villain who looked like her for some reason while being incompetent. Edge and Palom were the only ones who got anything semi-decent.

Battle system is neat but suffers the same problem people had with 13, opened up too late to care.
>>
>>2802101
Namingway Edition? It's pretty good. It even restores the Developers Room that was cut in the US version.
>>
>>2802495

Now if only he'd fix the desync-on-save-point bug while using dash, I'd play it.
>>
While giving you the least freedom to develop your characters it is still one of my favorites. I liked the different jobs the characters brought into the party ... everything considered I liked the characters. The story was pretty solid as well and kept me playing.

How is the 3D version of this?
>>
>>2802278
>It just means its not complex.
Which is a good definition of shallow.
>>
>>2803098
here-we-go-again.gif

here-we-autism-again.jpg
>>
>>2803098
Do you know what definition means?
>>
>>2801257
I agree that FF4 is both simple and shallow ... but simple and shallow are not homonyms.

For example, Go is a very simple game; the rules can be memorized in a few minutes.. and yet the game has endured thousands of years, and is a perfect example of how deep a game can be despite having simple rules. Strategy continues to change because the rules permit new ideas to come forth. Simple rules lead to amazing depth.

FF4 doesn't have that depth. It's shallow, and simple... but those two facets don't make it a bad starting point -- rather, that makes it a good entry-level FF game. It's also short (a completely blind casual playthrough should take under 14 hours. With a FAQ it should be under 10) whereas a casual blind FF6 playthrough can easily expand into the 30 hour range if you get sidetracked by the character collection.
>>
File: deep and shallow.png (3 KB, 406x264) Image search: [Google]
deep and shallow.png
3 KB, 406x264
>>2803098
Anon and his swimming pool.
>>
>>2802279
Play 1-3 or Tactics if you're looking for a challege.

Play 4 or 6 if you're in it for the story. Play 5 if you like character build customization.

Generally speaking, you should play 7. Play 8 if you like 7 more than earlier titles, play 9 if you like the earlier titles over 7.

Play 10 and beyond if you've liked it up to this point.
>>
File: shallow2.jpg (32 KB, 481x149) Image search: [Google]
shallow2.jpg
32 KB, 481x149
>>2803219
You should check out a dictionary some time anon. It's pretty cool, a lot of words in English actually have more than one established meaning. I get that can be confusing, but it's why these wonderful books got made in the first place.
>>
>>2803194

I see ff4 as a very straightforward, standard rpg. it's an excellent starting point.
>>
>>2803419
In addition: If you liked 3 and 5, play 4 Heroes of Light and Bravely Default.
>>
>>2803446
So then if I'm not taller than you, I'm shorter than you?

You sure there isn't some third choice in the stupidly binary way you're looking at these relative terms?
>>
>>2803490
>So then if I'm not taller than you, I'm shorter than you?
>You sure there isn't some third choice in the stupidly binary way you're looking at these relative terms?

That's why I told you to pick up a dictionary and learn the various definitions of words... what the hell man? Is English your second language or are you seriously this stupid?
>>
>>2803490
>So then if I'm not taller than you, I'm shorter than you?
Pretty sure that's how it works.
>>
>>2803545
>>2803505

he's implying there's same height and a general middleground. How can you not udnerstand that from his swimming pool diagram.

Autists here, I swear.
>>
>>2803589
His swimming pool diagram was describing a different definition of shallow. No one anywhere is debating there's no middle ground, this was explicitly covered yesterday.
>>
>>2803596

oh so you like to move the goal posts do you?

nevermind. enjoy your thread.
>>
>>2803604
I'm not moving any goal posts. Again >>2801790
>>
>>2799965
IV is a great starter FF, it's mechanicaly simple because the 2D versions feature no alternate character progression system (Job system, Materia, Junction , ect) yet still carries the atmosphere of a traditional Final Fantasy, as well as grasping the Basics of ATB and the general battle engine.

OP, after IV I recommend wither VI or VII.

If you're feeling like more of a challenge try V, it's amazing.
>>
>>2803589
The problem is that "shallow" has negative connotations whereas something not being complex doesn't necessarily make it bad. But don't expect the simians on this board to understand that
>>
>>2804040

Goddamn it you retarded autists

Something not complex is something SIMPLE. Not shallow, if you think it's shallow, great.

Now take your autism elsewhere.

Way to shit up another FF thread.
>>
Only the odd-numbered final fantasies are worth playing pre-nomura/sony

They were actually designed by Sackagucci and are true to the FF name- 2/4/6 are too story-driven rather than gameplay-driven.
>>
Is FF4 on the SNES good to start with? Is the translation that bad, and if so is there a patch for it?

Or should I play it on something else?
>>
>>2803545
Person A is 5'11. Person B is 5'11. A is not taller than B. Therefore A is shorter than B, by that logic.

>>2803596
That was illustrative since I assumed you knew how different words mean different things. I'm clearly giving you too much credit because you can't into analogies.

Here's the breakdown, dude who likes using dictionaries to define things:

We are NOT debating the meaning of the term shallow here. All things that are shallow are by necessity not deep or complex.

We ARE debating the meaning of the term "not complex," which you have implied several times, is necessarily all things that are shallow. I gave two analogies as to how "not complex" and "shallow" can be different things, clearly facetiously because you're being ridiculously obtuse about seeing a common ground between two descriptors as if a thing can only ever be either one extreme or the other.

This: >>2801790, see this shit right here? THIS is the problem, when you or someone else specifically defined "not complex" as necessarily meaning "shallow" which is absolutely not the case and you/he don't seem to get what everyone else here has been trying to beat into your senseless brain that both accepts there is a common ground between two concepts, but refuses to acknowledge the language used to describe it.

This is a really simple case of all A's are B's but not all B's are A's. You're wrong if you think "not complex" means "shallow," even if "shallow" means "not complex."

Is that clear enough for you? Has the point been fully proven to you now, without any playful analogies whizzing over your head?
>>
>>2804095
an inch isn't a very precise measurement you cunt
>>
>>2804092
start with 1 if you want a FF with a class system
start with 2j if you want a FF with an epic story
>>
>>2804092
SNES FF4 is fine and the translation is fine too.

Only literal autists give a fuck about the original japanese.
>>
>>2804419
>SNES FF4 is fine
Only with the fan translation. There's no reason to play the easy mode version of a game where challenge is its only draw gameplay-wise.
>>
>>2804096
>the point
>your head

You're the cunt.
>>
>>2804426
Considering Tomato's analysis of the original translation and J2E themselves stating their translation wasn't up to snuff, I'd say go with Project II if you like the original US names, and Namingway Edition if you like the original Japanese names. I do like the PSP version though.
>>
>>2802262
The constant fake deaths and forced character roster swapping made it harder for me to care about the characters as opposed to a party that mostly stays the same from beginning to end.
>>
>you will never be a dragoon
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.