[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup, /vr/. Is original sidewinder gamepad worth buying for general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11
File: sidewinder-gamepad-microsoft1.jpg (12 KB, 460x336) Image search: [Google]
sidewinder-gamepad-microsoft1.jpg
12 KB, 460x336
Sup, /vr/. Is original sidewinder gamepad worth buying for general retro pc gaming purposes?
>>
No, just get a Wii U Pro, DS4 or get a USB solution to your favorite console controller.
>>
I was considering either of these two options myself:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000106-Rumble-Gamepad-F510/dp/B003VAM392/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440184437&sr=8-2&keywords=logitech+F510&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-EX-Controller-PS3-Playstation-3/dp/B003VWXV50
>>
Nah, it's a bad controller for retro gaming because of the D-Pad design, the way it's shaped you will often inadvertently press diagonals instead of the main four directions.

I've sold mine on eBay not long ago.
>>
It's kinda shit. The dpad sucks hard, and the buttons give little to no feedback. You're better off with a $5 Play Sega controller if you're looking for a 6 buttons pad (and then, they also suck, a far cry from the Saturn pad).
>>
Get the blue Playstation to USB Y adapter that basically all of us have at least one of. They're like $3 and they give yo\u not one but two PC controllers, assuming you have at least one or two Playstation or PS2 controllers already which you should or wtf are you even doing here?
>>
>>2799302
Like most people i'd recommend getting a ps2 to usb adapter but also the ibuffalo snes usb pad is fantastic unlike 99% of the current retro cash ins.
>>
>>2799376

When you use adapters like that isn't inherent lag introduced?
>>
stop being a hipster, op
>>
>>2799302
If it's cheap sure. And if you're not a baby who has to hate it because that's hip this week. A few months back every kid was raving about how great it was.
>>
>>2799326
>Logitech Rumble Gamepad
Looks nice, is it win98 compatible?
>>2799331
>you will often inadvertently press diagonals instead of the main four directions
So it's actually 8-directional pad?
>>2799402
>If it's cheap sure.
Is $2.5 cheap enough?
>>
>>2799421

>Looks nice, is it win98 compatible?

No clue, mang-o'-mine. Not remotely relevant to my setup (OS X). I doubt it, though.
>>
>>2799421
>So it's actually 8-directional pad?
Yup. For $2.50 it's a good deal, but personally whenever I've tried playing platformers and fighters with the controller, the random crouching and doing backflips got on my nerves. I suppose it's a non-issue if you will be playing slow-paced games.
>>
So I've always played FPS with keyboard + mouse, and this works, but console FPS has really got me to appreciate one thing in particular, analog stick movement.

Using a mouse for freelook is obviously optimal, but does there exist some kind of one-handed thingamajig with an analog stick (which you can click), and several buttons?

What I want to do is to have freelook and shooting with my mouse, but then also an analog stick for movement, can this be done? Does a product like this exist?
Doesn't matter if it's wireless or not, and I would be using a normal gamepad for emulating old games.

Things I'd hope for compatibility with
>GZDoom
>Duke Nukem 3D (maybe with a sourceport)
>Half-Life 1&2
Etc
>>
>>2799531
Have you considered just holding half of a controller?
>>
Gameport version is excellent, but daisychaining doesn't work on w2k and beyond.
USB version, while mechanically identical, sucks hard because polling rate is abyssimal.
>>
File: Mayflash.jpg (20 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Mayflash.jpg
20 KB, 500x500
>>2799391
I bought this Mayflash adapter to use a Saturn controller for fighting games on my PS3. It has no lag whatsoever, and noticeably less lag than a Dualshock 3 wireless.
>>
>>2799391
I've used the mayflash the guy replied with and the ide ps2 to usb and neither had any noticeable lag. The ide one is like 2.50 on amazon aswell.
>>
File: portal.kombat.webm (222 KB, 920x330) Image search: [Google]
portal.kombat.webm
222 KB, 920x330
>>2799391
>When you use adapters like that isn't inherent lag introduced?
what kinda lag we talking about? I play games that require dexterity and timing with a controller on an adapter... never been sure about this input lag thing, seems like a boogieman to me.

>... This includes input lag, but it also includes the native response time of a game, which can be significant. When total lag exceeded 166 milliseconds, test subjects noticed the delay in their actions and felt that it was a hindrance to their performance.
>>
File: 20151116_110008_2.jpg (694 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
20151116_110008_2.jpg
694 KB, 2448x3264
>2799605
mine is also a mayflash

>grey one started shorting after 16 years
>got two backups with surprisingly pristine analog sticks for how old they are
>>
>>2799541
I don't have half a controller, I only have a whole one, a whole which can only select BETWEEN D-pad and analog sticks, so I can't use the sticks for moving and looking, and then bind the D-pad to select weapons.
Also the analog sticks are pretty poor on it. The D-pad is alright for emulation and I honestly like the turbo toggle.

It also wouldn't feel balanced in my one hand to have half the controller unsupported.
>>
>>2799302
what is is with microsoft and their inability to make a halfway decent d-pad?
>>
>>2799663
Didn't Nintendo own the d-pad patent?
>>
File: ascii-grip-v2[1].jpg (38 KB, 500x301) Image search: [Google]
ascii-grip-v2[1].jpg
38 KB, 500x301
>>2799635
zup
>>
>>2799974
Intredasting.

It says PlayStation on it, but is there a USB version of it? Also, can I click that analog like on a DS2 or DS3?

I feel I could kinda need a D-Pad or other four-directional button for weapon selection though.
>>
>>2799302
You can tell it's shit just from looking at that d-pad. Why did it take Microsoft until the Xbone to finally drop that awful style for them?
>>
>>2799326
i'd go with the logitech one, i have an older model logitech controller that's almost identical to that one and it still works after like 12 years.
>>
>>2799974
Seems like it'd be really handy for Rumble Roses.
>>
File: Fighting Commander 4.jpg (217 KB, 900x667) Image search: [Google]
Fighting Commander 4.jpg
217 KB, 900x667
I like the FC4 for 2D games, retro or otherwise.
>>
File: 41CLFiaEBTL.jpg (19 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
41CLFiaEBTL.jpg
19 KB, 500x500
>>2799302
i use one of these i got from radio shack in the early 2000s, and i find it to be perfect w/dualshock2
>>
They're alright

I'm bummed that I can't get my USB one to work on Win98 though. Might have to track down a serial or gameport controller instead.
>>
>>2800052
Weird, mine work fine in 98.
>>
any tier-lists or recommendations?
I'm playing a lot of 2d games and while the 360 controller is good its' d-pad is kind of disappointing.
are any the usb snes/nes retro controllers worth it?
>>
>>2800060
I seem to have real driver hardships with my win98. Stuff I try to install really has to be wrestled with to even become somewhat functional. Doesn't help that it doesn't detect my install disk as being a real Win98 installer.
>>
>>2800065
The NES/SNES pad clones are ok.
There's Genesis pad clones too.

There's also USB adapters for the real ones.
>>
>>2799603
>the ide ps2 to usb and neither had any noticeable lag. The ide one is like 2.50 on amazon aswell.
What is this? I can't find anything relevant on Amazon.
>>
File: 81gA1pgzkiL._SL1500_.jpg (116 KB, 1500x1120) Image search: [Google]
81gA1pgzkiL._SL1500_.jpg
116 KB, 1500x1120
>>2799985
So I'm looking at one off these, it's a Splitfish "Fragchuck", anyone have any experience with them? Are they any good?

If I use one for GZDoom, will the analog stick give me true 360 degree analog movement and be sensitive to how much I push the stick in a direction, or will it literally just act like WASD keys and it's all absolute?

It's a USB one for PC, not the console versions.
>>
>>2799591
where can i buy one of those?
>>
>>2799302
I had one. Didn't like the dpad at all. It's one of those that registers every direction except the one you wanted.
>>
>>2801457
For some reason, I knew that was the case by just looking at it.

What is it with those terrible directional pads looking always like that.
>>
>>2801283
You need a modded Doom for that
>>
>>2801848
As in a sourceport?
Like the GZDoom port I mentioned specifically?
>>
>>2799302
It's OK for nostalgia purposes, but it doesn't work with DOS games, nor will it work on modern PCs. A lot of people don't like Microsoft's dpad designs so ymmv, but I don't mind it so much.
>>
File: controller list.jpg (2 MB, 1200x3774) Image search: [Google]
controller list.jpg
2 MB, 1200x3774
>>
File: snes controller buffalo 8bitdo.jpg (2 MB, 4793x1642) Image search: [Google]
snes controller buffalo 8bitdo.jpg
2 MB, 4793x1642
>>
>>2799991

Yeah, but that's the thing; I hear in recent years Logitech finally "caught on" to the fact they make a decent controller after all these years and has increasingly charged more for steadily shittier buildquality. I dunno. Might just get both to be safe. One or the other is bound to be decent, right?

>>2803573

Thank you, fellow anonibro.
>>
>>2803610
I have a F710.
it's my main controller for 3D game.
>>
Just get a xbox controller. Same thing but better
>>
>>2803840
This chart >>2803573 says that the Xboner controller finally fixed the rubbish D-pad the 360 one had.
>>
>>2803573
>SNES and NES controllers

Why the hell are people recommending these? Neither of them are ergonomic, and they are also very small unless you are a kid. I get that nostalgia factor matters a lot (I played a lot of SNES too as a kid), but they are seriously poor controllers. You can snap them in two with sheer force.
>>
File: 4538636229_940aaf35b7_b1.jpg (341 KB, 1024x577) Image search: [Google]
4538636229_940aaf35b7_b1.jpg
341 KB, 1024x577
>>2803982
Are you the fucking Hulk? I've never managed to break the controllers.

Now, the original NES pad might not be very ergonomic, but it works.
I think you're really better off using the SNES pad (which there isn't really anything wrong with), or the later model 2 NES 'Dogbone', maybe the Turbo if you like it a bit more modern.
>>
>>2803982
>You can snap them in two with sheer force.
Well alright there, muscles. If you want me to compliment your gains next time, just post a picture of your pythons.

I'm indifferent to the shape of the SNES controller.
>>
>>2804028
the nes max controller sucks
>>
>>2804106
Never tried it. Why is it bad?
>>
>>2804109
the dpad has this weird disc thing, so it doesn't work like a normal dpad
you slide the disc thing around like the circle pad on the 3ds
>>
>>2804116
I honestly don't mind the disc on the 3DS.
Is it just as functional or is a crude precursor?
>>
>>2804147
this is much worse than the circle pad because it's on top of a dpad, and you have to press down on it to use it.
>>
>>2803982
Easy there, Hercules
>>
>>2804109
To add to what anon already said, the red disc isn't pressed down, it slides freely within the black ring surrounding it and doesn't affect input at all. It's nothing like the 3DS analog pad. It simply allows your thumb to glide over the actual input interface, the black ring itself. That ring is what you press down, like a normal d-pad. It doesn't work well.

Too bad, because a NES Max with a normal d-pad on it would have been the best OEM controller of the entire generation. The SNES controller would have probably been forced to evolve from it out of popularity, and they may have developed something similar to the PS controller because of the handles.

>>2803982
SNES controller is quite functional and ergonomic enough. Handles, while comfortable, aren't necessary.
>>
Bump, I think controllers is an important issue to /vr/

Does anyone make a clone of the Virtual Boy controller? I kinda dig it.
>>
>>2799391
125hz looks like the standard polling rate for usb peripherals. That's 8ms lag max.
>>
>>2799671
Yet the Saturn dpad beats everything Nintendo has ever made
>>
>>2808382
trolling's against the rules
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.