[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Flastcarts General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 4
File: Game-Cartridge-Super-Everdrive.jpg (454 KB, 850x610) Image search: [Google]
Game-Cartridge-Super-Everdrive.jpg
454 KB, 850x610
Just bought one of these on impulse. Am i fucked or is this thing alright?
>>
>>2797045
Sd2snes is the only correct decision in my opinion for Snes flashcarts
>>
>>2797046
I hear that that's bar none the best but I aint really got that kinda money ya dig this is like 1/5th the price and I think it can play like 98% of the games (hopefully)
>>
>>2797046
No one but me gives a flying fuck about your opinions.
>>
>>2797046
wow. compatible with 3 more games than the everdrive, loads 30 seconds faster and has a chip for homebrew fmv bullshit that nobody will do anything usefull with. All for the price of a working snes saturn playstation and some games.
>>
Does anyone else use thing one? I'd like to get as much info as I can on it(s shortcomings, if any?)
>>
>>2797056
>nobobdy will do anything useful with
so you don't consider ports of old LD FMV games, or being able to play Chrono Trigger with the FMV cutscenes from the PS/DS versions useful?
>>
>>2797069
chrono trigger with fmv cutscenes
sd2sns 180 dollarydoos
buying a ps2 fat, softmodding it, and adding network adaper plus harddrive for roms 100-120
I mean id buy it if i was less poor but its such a tiny upgrade over the super everdrive to be worth 2x as much
>>
>>2797046
Your opinion is pretty retarded then. Pretty much every devices has pros on cons depending on what features you want and how much you want to pay.
>>
>>2797079
>softmodded PS2
>doesn't play PSX games natively
>>
>>2797045
My chink Genesis everdrive just came in and it works like a charm (besides Wiley Wars, but there's probably some weird patch fuckery that I need to do for that). If the snes version is as good, it'll be fine in a month in a half when you get it.
>>
>>2797069
>already have DS/3DS
>buy used CT cart
>don't spend almost 200 dollars
Ta-dah!
>>
>>2797180
wizard
>>
>>2797270
And you can take it with you and play it on the bus or at your lunch break!

Truly I am a mighty magician!
>>
When games don't work for these things, what's the underlying technical reasons? Custom chips in the cartridge? An incompatibility with the game code and how the flash cart "feeds" the data to the console?
>>
>>2797394
Custom chips in the cartridge
>>
How much was it?
>>
>>2797097
It does, but you have to use the disc drive.
>>
>>2797440
$49

Guess I'll have to buy an SD card unless I can use a micro SDHC, so add another $10
>>
>>2797097
>Not using glorious POPS emu
>>
Does anybody here have experience with the ED64plus? I've read some reviews and it seems to be good but I want to be sure before ordering something from china
>>
>>2797459
Just get a micro SD card adapter.

>>2797497
I've got one, it works perfectly. Only "issue" is hitting reset to save before you turn the console off, but that means you don't have a fucking battery inside that'll die in 10 years. Even comes with a passthrough for the region lock chip, in case you want to use it in a PAL console for some dumb reason.
>>
>>2797497
ED64 V3 is the best n64 flashcart bar none
It's like 200$ but it has near 100% compatibility

also speaking of, does anyone know of a save hack for donkey kong 64 that doesn't insert an intro?
It's the only game I have on my ed64 that has an intro and it bothers me
>>
>>2797394
usually it's either a pure hardware limitation, such as the hardware being too innacurate or there being a special chip or non-standard rom size that the flashcartdoesn't support, or the cart's firmware tipping anti-piracy measures and such

only the latter can really be solved through firmware updates (sometimes workarounds are possible for the former) so if a problem arises and the flashcart creator is still active you could try contacting them to see if they'll work on supporting your game in the next firmware release
>>
>>2797045
Will this flash cart play hacked/patched roms?
>>
>>2797543
depends on the hack; they have to be designed to run on the console
>>
File: 64drive_d.jpg (58 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
64drive_d.jpg
58 KB, 640x480
Best n64 cart? Everdrive 64 v3 or 64 Drive? Or are they are other ones?
>>
>>2797532
>>2797414

Ah, interesting, thanks
>>
>>2797414
Pretty much all emulator software for computers has fixes or work-arounds for the SuperFX chip.

What makes these different?
>>
>>2797592
well gee I dunno maybe the fact that you're using a SNES, not a computer?
>>
>>2797053
I understand that, that's why I didn't recommend it, cause I figured you didn't have money to drop on it
>>2797054
>>2797056
>>2797085
Guess these guys couldn't afford on either and have their jimbobs in a rustle. What a bunch of pricks

but hey op, better than buying the original carts as of right now, so I say go for it
>>
>>2797176
Anon i got a copy of the patched rom from the ed forums. Im in a cab but when i get home ill try to remember to upload ot.just check krikzz forum or theisozone.com other wise
>>
>>2797592
Welp, from what I understand, the SuperFX and SA-1 enhancement chips act as a middleman between the ROM and the SNES. The FPGA in the SD2SNES can handle the SNES CPU, but it's debatable if it can handle the SuperFX in addition, and it's been pretty much stated that the FPGA can't handle the SNES CPU and the SA-1(which is pretty much another SNES CPU).

Now, if they were to use even more powerful and expensive hardware, it might be possible. At which point you would be paying $300 for a flash-cart.

Or you can just get a SuperED for less than $100, install your own DSP chip, and have access to the same library minus Mega Man X2 and X3 and maybe a few more games.
>>
>>2798075
or just buy a snes pad and a usb adaptor and download bsnes
>>
>>2797045
Now get a copy of Ballz, desolder the DSP chip and install it in your new flashcart

>>2797046
>5 years after release
>STILL only supports DSP, fake MSU1 & inaccurate C4 emulation
FRAUD
>>
>>2798075
The only chips it can't emulate are the chips used by three whole games, two of which aren't even in English, due to there not being enough cache size. The co-processors interact directly with the rom chips, making a pass-through solution impossible, this has no baring on the sd2snes processor emulating any of the co-processors. The guy behind sd2snes is a fraud. End of story.
>>
>>2798202

Because they'd have to change the internals, right? Won't they not ever be able to support most other chips?
>>
>>2797045
Where did you buy it?
>>
>>2798226
Thanks for your advice, sdsnes indeeds seems good so i will buy one.
>>
>>2798075
Another game the Super ED can't run but the SD2SNES can is the uncompressed version of Star Ocean, because it's too large for the Super ED to play. That game isn't that great though.

As someone that owns one, the SD2SNES isn't worth the extra price over a Super ED. That might change if they eventually add Super FX/FX2 support but hope for that is pretty bleak. The MSU1 stuff is mostly lost potential because of how few ROMs make use of it.
>>
>>2797045
What games are incompatible with it?
>>
>>2798470
anything that uses special chips outside of DSP(super mario kart, pilotwings and few other games nobody cares about).
>>
>>2798470
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips
>>
>>2797486
ehhh its hit and miss
works fine for most of my fightan though
>>
>>2797989
someone's mad he overpaid
>>
>>2798287
Nope it's all programmable
>>
As someone who just bought the Chinese SNES and MD/Genny Everdrives here is my critique:

For the price, they are bar fucking none worth it if you're in the market for a flashcart. That being said, they are not the same ones you would go and buy right now straight from the source.The SNES one seems to be the original version and the MD one seems to be the second? I have no real complaint with this other than obviously the new ones are better but I don't have any compatibility problems atm. If you're looking at the SNES everdrive's case and are wondering if it will fit in your SNES because of the design, you will be. The cart has the notches that will allow it to fit into a NA SNES.
>>
What's the difference between one of these and those Super UFO ones?
>>
>>2798287
Aside from the ST chips, which cannot be emulated because the cache size is too small, any of the chips can be emulated by sd2snes. The only reason they're not is because the fraud behind it can't program.
>>
>>2798351
>not sure if bait or just stupid
>>
>>2797045
You bought the Chinese version?

DO NOT FUCKING UPDATE IT!

You're stuck with the version on the cart. Pray everything you want to play will be compatible.
>>
>>2800635
The Super UFO ones are based on really dated technology (90s disk copier software) and have shit compatibility.

See: http://www.theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=18280
>>
>>2800635
Well, it's like this.

The SD2SNES or the Super ED work by loading the ROM file off the SD card into a flashable ROM chip. It has a menu for navigating the SD card, loading the ROM, applying cheats, and so on. Once the ROM is loaded, you can just press start the next time you turn it on if you want to play the same game. Works for everything that doesn't require an enhancement chip, with the exception of the DSP chips and the CX4 in the case of the SD2SNES.

With the Super UFO, you are using a modernized version of a tool designed for dumping ROMs to floppy disks. It claims it can let you play any game requiring an enhancement chip if you plug a game containing that chip into the top slot, but many people say it usually only works if you have the same game cart plugged in(supposedly DSP works properly), which defeats the purpose. You are limited to the old 8.3 file naming scheme as well. The only really good things that can be said about it is A)it's cheap, and B)you can use it to copy save games off of carts onto the SD card.
>>
>>2800724
So the difference between the Super UFO and the China Version Super Everdrive is that you need to use a certain naming scheme?

It does look like it has cheats over the China ver.
>>
>>2800749
Uh, no, go read that isozone thread. I think you're going to set yourself up for a lot of disappointment if you don't research the device more.
>>
>>2800692
I updated the China version and it works perfectly fine. Better, in fact.

Krikzz only sabotaged the firmware on the Mega EDV2 and one of the other carts, I forget which. You can update the Super ED without a problem.
>>
>>2797592
you need extra processing power to emulate the add-on chips. power that the Super ED and the SNES don't have.

The SD2SNES has a FPGA that handles this.
>>
>>2800882
GB is sabotaged, the update doesn't add any additional functionality anyway.
>>
>>2800749
There are a lot of other drawbacks to the UFO
It allows you to dump carts which can turn you into an evil pirate
It lets you backup saves so you might not get the full replay value out of games with dead batteries
It has save states, which if used enough will irreversibly turn you into an emufag
The list goes on and on
>>
>>2798561
As far as good games go, Super Mario RPG, Mega Man X2 and X3. Perhaps the Super FX games as well if you like those. Other than those few, nothing big.
>>
>>2800616
The new ones add basically nothing aside from saving without hitting reset, and maybe an obscure JP only game that was a pile of shit.
>>
>>2801208

It also functions as a decent adapter for playing super famicom carts on an american system.
>>
>>2797045
get a decent flash card or suffer slowdown. sandisk extreme pro is what i use. do not get more than 16gb though as it wont support it.
>>
>>2801595
Thinking about sell my flash carts..
>>
>>2801216
and kirbys super star and dream land3 too
>>
Can anyone speak on whether or not translation patched for games like Tactics Ogre, SD3, FF6, and Tenkousei Scramble will work with the China Super Everdrive?

Do patched roms work with flashcarts in general?
>>
>>2801814
hacks and translations generally works just fine, some of them are made emulators-only in mind or otherwise doesnt work on real hardware(like some/most old SMW hacks with custom music, although newer hacks w/ custom music does work just fine).

But yeah, if the original game works then translation/patch should work just fine(I have legit super everdrive).
>>
>>2801873
thanks
>>
I just got an EZFLASHIV on aliexpress and brickef it within 10 minutes because I installed a more recent firmware with a less hideous skin.
$26 down the drain, dont let it happen to you. If it works, dont change a thing.
>>
>>2801921
Do they still come with the Darth Vader skin? Like many others my first hour of owning an EZ-Flash IV was spent researching how to replace the skin and actually finding another that wasn't as bad.

Isn't it possible to boot in safe mode by holding one of the shoulder buttons or something? Can't remember the details, been a few years since I've thought about it.
>>
>>2801950
Mine didnt have Darth Vader, its one of the newer models that come with a rather recent firmware that accepta sdhc out of the box (still with an ugly skin though). I really just updated out of impulse.

Well, booting with the R button loads any firmware update available on the card, but I already tried that, and it didnt work.

Still, its now much of a loss, I have a working M3 Lite that works just fine. I only got ezflash4 thinking that maybe it would be a bit faster and hassle-free compared to my M3, but I got to test it enough to realize they're about the same. So Im gonna stay with that I already have, unless there's eventually a newer release, something like an Everdrive GBA, that doesnt need any rom patching and doesnt take forever to load a game.
>>
>>2797550
64 drive, I've used both and far prefer the 64drive, its worth the price for all the support and comparability it has.
>>
Does anyone know of a decent flash cart for gba that supports real time clock?
>>
>>2802080
Interesting question. I have dozens of GBA flash carts and they all support RTC. WTF are you even thinking about using?
>>
>>2802407

this is a bad post
>>
>>2802407
Obvious things would be the Pokemon games. With as many aliexpress sourced fakes as there are out there and the trouble of replacing the internal batteries I'd rather use a flash cart. I used to own one of those flash carts for gba that uses sd cards and I really hated it so I just gave it to my friend. If I remember correctly I had issues with saving.
>>
>tfw recently ordered a Super ED China Ver.

can't wait till I get to finally play Tactics Ogre in english on my SNES. couldn't ever stand the slowdown/jittering of the PS1 version.
>>
>>2802445
Yeah, being able to play patched roms on the real hardware is nice. Just wait until you notice the lack of lag when playing platformers and the like. I've just got mine a month or two ago, and I've been enjoying the fuck out of it.
>>
>>2802410
I mean what flash card are you thinking about using. I play teh pokemans on mine just fine.

>>2802470
Nice is an understatement. And I'm happy to hear that finally after 20 odd years white people can experience this joy.
>>
I've heard that there is currently no SNES flash cart capable of replicating every type of special chip. Is that true? And if so, what's the appeal? I hate to be that guy, but most of the really memorable games utilized Super FX and the like.
>>
>>2802551
because 95%+ of games don't need it

and only like 8 games used Super FX
>>
>>2802551
>most of the really memorable games utilized Super FX
You need to memorize a few more LP before posting.
>>
>>2802551

You are so underage.
>>
>>2802551
There are very few games that you would want to play on a flash cart that utilized them though. The memorable games that used them are mostly common enough that you could find them cheap. Now, if you want to play Starfox 2 on your SNES, that's another story...
>>
>>2802409
>this is a bad post
True
>>
>>2802734
Why you kids so mad you can't find a flash cart that's not even retro?
>>
Hey guys. I'm in the market for a SNES flashcart and I was looking at OP's. I do have two questions though:

Do these Chinese flashcarts support SDHC, or just SD?

Also, has anyone had one for an extended period of time (months, years), with at least semi-frequent use? I can't find much on how long these things last, whether or not they'll last as long as the original or if they falter early.
>>
>>2804209
I've gone through 2 Chinese ones in a year, might be bad luck but I'm not taking chances anymore.
>>
>>2804209

everyone hates on the super ufo pro 8, but it's better than this piece of shit by far...
>>
>>2804214
Better if you want to track down 20 year old patches from the BBS scene just to make your games work. Better if you want something with a battery that is dead on arrival. Better if you think a bunch of poorly implemented features are better than a few that work properly.
>>
New to flashcarts. How do they work? Is it like emulation? Or is it 100% accurate?
>>
>>2804221

you've obviously never owned one and read one bad shill review online. thanks for your shitpost.
>>
>>2804269
It's supposed to be 100% accurate. It's a cart that writes ROMs from an SD card onto a writeable, flashable chip that the SNES then runs.
>>
>>2804221

Super UFO works fine. You have no idea what you're talking about and it shows. It actually is better than the fake Everdrive OP posted in every aspect except for the save game features. But if you need save states, you may as well just be emulating, you faggots. Do a head stand if you're gonna talk out your ass, loser.
>>
>>2804352
How do you figure it's better than the China Everdrive?
>>
>>2804352
super everdrive doesnt have save-states, do YOU have any idea what you are talking about?
>>
>>2804395

Wrong again, dingus.
>>
File: sed.jpg (128 KB, 358x711) Image search: [Google]
sed.jpg
128 KB, 358x711
>>2804435
umm..
>>
>>2804435
Not him, but this was taken right from the owner's manual on Krikzz's site. I also asked a friend of mine with an Super Everdrive and looked around in some reviews, and both say otherwise, as well.

Unless you meant specifically the Chinese Everdrive and not the regular one.
>>
>>2804383
>i didnt read the post: the post
>>
>>2804649
>It's better in every way but the save features
>like save states
but it doesn't have save states, and you didn't say how it's better in every way
>>
>>2801570
it's actually more valuable the other way around (SNES on SFC), since SNES carts don't physically fit into a SFC, while SFC carts do physically fit into a SNES with the tabs removed.

>>2801595
you do realize the ENTIRE ROM is loaded into memory, right?

the type of SD card you use has zero benefit other than speeding up loading the ROM into memory.

>>2801921
EZFLASH IV is crap, I can't get anything to work on it, threw it in the garbage
>>
>>2804918
>EZFLASH IV is crap, I can't get anything to work on it, threw it in the garbage
you know you have to patch your roms before they work, right? Otherwise it doesnt load any games, just like any other gba flash-carts.
>>
>>2804875
Too young or too drunk?

>>2804918
>I can't get anything to work on it
Same question
>>
>>2805071
How do I activate Save States on my Super Everdrive? :^)
>>
>>2805131

upgrade the firmware. this is why everyone tells you not to do it. they're keeping it a big secret from you and only you.
>>
>>2805131
So both. A kid your age shouldn't be drinking.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.