[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you handle your backlog + the inmensity of free games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: video-game-stack.jpg (52 KB, 500x290) Image search: [Google]
video-game-stack.jpg
52 KB, 500x290
The last 6 games I have beaten are retro games, I have only been playing these games for half a year.

Streets of Rage 2 on the 3DS, managed to 1cc it in hardest (mania seems impossible to me, I guess it is only for multiplayer)
Ecco the Dolphin on the 3DS
Sonic 2 on the 3DS
Zelda oracle of Seasons on the 3DS
Axelay on hacked wii (managed to 1cc it)
Equinox on hacked wii (took me 2 months and a half, because the game is so hard and draining I would only be in the mood to play it once or twice per week)

While playing all those retro games, I realized I have a large backlog of modern games

right now

Wii

Zack and Wiki
Okami
Metroid Prime Trilogy (the 3 prime games)
Zelda collection for Gamecube (Nes ZELDA 1 and 2 which I have already beaten, Ocarina and Majora which I have never played)
Mario 64 in vc
Sin and Punishment in vc
Wave Race in vc

On Wii U
Bayonetta
Wonderful 101
Zelda Windwaker

3DS
Monster Hunter 4
Etryan Odyssey 4

PC
A shitload of almost free Steam sales games and humble bundle games.

Pretty much the only games I actually beat are retro games.
I also work and have a family, so not that much free time, perhaps 6-10 hours per week of videogames.

I could probably not buy a game for one or two years and dedicate mysef to beating my backlog while also playing retro games on the 3ds or emulating them on the wii, but it will be hard for me to not buy new games next year, even if I will not play them, and it is even hard for me now to not go to my country's e-bay or amazon and buy games if I find some good deal.
Today I almost buy Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, Silent Hill shattered Memories and a Gamecube Prince of Persia, and at this rate I may be able to play them in 2017.

How do you handle your backlog if you play both modern and retro games? and how do you deal with the fact that through emulation you have the full libraries of snes, genesis, nes, ps1 etc at your disposition? how do you choose what to play?
>>
>>2796501
The last game I have beaten was Golden Axe almost 6 months ago.

My backlog of games is nearing 8k games. And I plan on buying 3 more consoles, and I need to finish building my mame machine.
>>
>>2796525
Also need a way to handle my backlog, because it doesn't stop growing.
>>
By accepting that the idea of a backlog is stupid to begin with. Stop making video games a chore you feel the need to finish. As long as you are enjoying yourself it doesn't matter that you're not beating them. Just play what you feel like man.
>>
First, I don't buy every new game that I want. I will still buy some new games that I don't intended to play soon or within 1-2 years, but I mostly write those kinds of games down in a text file. Most modern games are easy to acquire later. This is even more true for Steam games/digital PC games.

Second, I become more discriminating in what I will play. You need to filter out many "good" and even "great" games based on personal experiences (like flaws and repetition you notice in certain games/genres, but which wouldn't be the popular opinion if you voiced them). Also, just be a hard ass in general when you judge something new. I imagine why a new game could be meh or why I don't need to play it. I am willing to let games slide if, for example, I've played lots of games like them or I know what the experience boils down to. Those games should be acquired and played only when you really want to play them right away.
>>
I don't emulate and I don't play games I don't plan to buy and don't buy more games if I have a pile of unplayed ones
>>
My backlog just keeps growing. Simple as that. I whittle it down best I can, but it's not enough. I predict one day my backlog shall consume the entire planet, and for that, I'm sorry.
>>
>>2796632
see>>2796525
>>
>>2796638
Oh good, our backlogs can converge and move beyond Earth. Watch the fuck out, Venus.
>>
>>2796642
Gunna hit probably closer to 10k this summer minus the arcade games.
>>
>>2796501
1. Track everything, what you've beaten recently, what you've played, clear times, dates completed, etc.

2. Have short term goals. I'm trying to complete all my PS4 games right now since its my second smallest library and I have like 3 to go (on The Evil Within at the moment, its suffering). I tend to focus on one console for awhile so I'll beat 1-5 games on a console then swap to something different.

3. I usually like to bounce back and forth between games I know with games I havent played before. I also like to break up really long games with shorter games, so I'll usually play like a JRPG, followed by some short 30min - 2 hour games like Megaman X or something.

>Emulators
Part of the reason I stopped using them. Theres too much stuff and you get overload. With stuff on the shelf I can actively see what I've beaten and what I have left to beat.

I don't have like a queue lined up I just go by feel. Like when Bloodborne DLC comes out I'm gonna replay bloodborne with the DLC, and Dark Souls 3 comes out I'll play that, etc. I just play whatever I feel like.
>>
emulators aren't real games anyway
>>
Games have been around long enough now that the idea of trying to play "all" the good ones is no longer feasible. It's time to start looking at them them the way you would books, or at least movies. Basically, you have to raise your standards, like >>2796626 said.
>>
>>2796501
I deal with it the same way a deal with all the other irrelevant issues in life. A complete lack of fucks given due to 0% autism.
>>
just enjoy the games you autist
>>
Accept that retro collecting is better than playing.
>>
File: LegendOasis-2.png (64 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
LegendOasis-2.png
64 KB, 640x512
>>2796501
I accept that in the amount of time I have left on this planet I will never beat every game. I will never even beat every game that I'd like to.

Once I've accepted that, there's no pressure. When I feel like playing something, I take a moment to consider what mood I'm in and what sort of game would be best then I boot that up and play it until I'm satisfied.

If it's a game I really, really liked then I'll probably keep booting it up until I've finished it. If it gets boring near the end and I don't though, then who cares?
>>
>>2796501
give myself a 3 day time limit, if I haven't beatened I haven't blistereds there's no try
>>
You handle the immensity of selection by becoming exited about particular games. Personally my favorite way of doing it is by reading my back issues of EGN and thinking about how ducking stoked I would have been as a kid to know that I could be playing any one of those games in a couple of minutes for free.

You might get exited by threads here on /vr/ or by YouTube whores or watching old commercials or whatever.
>>
I stick to one or two games, beat one, and go onto the next one. It just takes some patience, modern games can't be beaten in a weekend.

I also stopped buying games that I'll never play. It's a waste of money. I usually buy a new game after I've beaten 2 or 3 of my backlogged ones.
>>
The last game I beat was Bravely Default I think. I don't actually play the games I buy since I played them through emulation in middle school or just through childhood. I'll maybe play a game if its something like Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest.
>>
>>2799538
As with my 8k backlog
>>2796525
This, I have everdrives. It definitely does not feel right for some reason, I've started buying physical games again, but nothing for more than 5$, just rebuilding my old collection. looking at a wall covered with games, and just grabbing one has this comfy feeling to it and you are dedicated to play it.
>>
Sometimes you have to just... push through.

Sometimes you have to just force yourself to sit down and play something.

I often find myself kinda getting lazy in terms of working through it or I should be doing something "productive' but sometimes you just gotta sit your ass down on the couch, fire up some games and try and beat em.
>>
>>2796501
>backlog
I ain't even worried and you shouldn't be either

there, problem solved. Your life doesn't change before or after playing them so just remember that. Just have fun.
>>
I've recently started just targeting games that are considered 'must play classics.' I still play other stuff if I want to play it, but I've become a bit more discriminating when it comes to what I pick from that vast, vast backlog.

And really, having a big backlog isn't bad, it's a wonderful thing. The only 'problem' with a big backlog is that there are so many great things, we don't have time for all of them. There's simply too much good stuff out there. Seems like an awfully silly thing to get stressed about.

Also, looking at your list of games OP, play either Mario 64 or the N64 Zeldas next. Those are the biggest classics on your list and you need to get on that shit asap, wonderful games.

The Prime Trilogy is also great but you should probably play other stuff between each game in the collection.
>>
I've given up on trying to complete my backlog and forcing myself to play certain games just to get through them. Games shouldn't be a chore. I just play what I feel like. I used to have only a few games and no money back in the day, which was a good thing because I had no choice but to play the few games I owned. I spent a lot more time on those games and got really into them because of this. Just accept the fact that there's a bunch of games you own which you'll never play and don't feel bad about it.
>>
>>2800821
>implying OP has a life
>>
I'm not a supporter of the idea of having a checklist with games that you need to complete every week or whatever. Knowing that you need to finish a game within a certain time limit, or knowing that one game is part of a really long list of games, will eventually make playing games boring. Just play what you want, you're not hurting anyone by not playing a game.
That said, I noticed that OP mentioned emulation. It's so easy to get emulators and romsets with thousands of roms that I don't consider these games as a part of a backlog. There's just too many games. I would prioritize games I bought from a store and physically own above anything else. Put those at the top of your list. Then, you put downloadable games that you bought on that list. You probably won't even complete this list, thanks to steam sales and such, but if you do, then you start with the pirated and emulated games. Or as people have said, you could just play whatever the fuck you feel like playing, like a normal person would do.
>>
>Beating the entire NES libary takes 500-600 days
>400-500 if you ignore sports games
And it was at that point I stopped caring.
You should just beat your own backlog at your own pace.
And have fun.
>>
>>2804401
Top kek kid. Have you ever even beat a game? Do you know that some old games couldn't be beaten?
>>
>>2796501
>How do you handle your backlog
can't be done
>>
>>2804401
I'd actually be amazed if someone beat the entire NES library in just under 2 years.

You'd have to be -damn- skilled and have some crazy luck to get through a good chunk of them.

Sure, if you're familiar with them, you could burn through Megaman 1-6 in a day, but good luck clearing shit like Castle of Dragon, Silver Surfer, Deadly Towers and the plethora of other garbage games in any reasonable amount of time.
>>
1) stop buying things

2) have fun

3) you're not even obligated to finish everything, if you play for a bit and have had your fun, no shame in moving on

My local brick and mortar had a 50% off sale recently. I guess that did it for me. I still don't have a huge collection by autist standards but I could probably quit my job and live as a vidya NEET for years without getting bored.
>>
In a sense having a backlog is somewhat good on those days where I just feel completely lethargic, I look at it and try to get myself fired up to play something.

In a sense, it does feel burdensome sometimes, but really you just can't take it too seriously. I used to fret about playing something outside of it just for fun because I'm losing time I could be using to make progress on the backlog, but at some point you just need to have fun with games. There's nothing wrong with replaying an old favorite in lieu of playing something new.

Besides, if you force yourself to play something, you'll likely end up resenting it. Which also leads to the point that it's okay to leave things unfinished. There's always time to beat it later, and even if you never do you still come out ahead.
>>
>>2796501
Told myself I will only buy a new game once I beat 10 games

Though I still buy new games if it has limited edition shit, I am a hoe for limited edition shit. I am looking at your Fire Emblem Fates
>>
>>2796501
I don't keep a backlog. I just play whatever. If I'm lucky I'll finish something.
>>
>>2808045
>people don't finish games
Whats it like to be beyond pleb-tier?
>>
File: 1444158271427.gif (215 KB, 400x524) Image search: [Google]
1444158271427.gif
215 KB, 400x524
If you have a backlog then that means you still have games you are interested in playing. I don't see what is so bad about that.

Just play what you want when you want, don't make it a gigantic check list of things to do like a grocery list, then it just becomes work. Video games are just a leisure activity that you do on your leisure time.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.