[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much of this game could have fit on a NES cartridge? Would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault.jpg (135 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
135 KB, 1366x768
How much of this game could have fit on a NES cartridge?

Would it had been able to go up to the Android Saga or the Namek Saga?
>>
50%
>>
>>2796068
That'd be a lot.

50%, even not counting the movies would also have some of the Buu Saga.
>>
I'm not even much of a DBZ fan but that looks cool, what the hell is it?
>>
>>2796075
It's Dragon Ball Z Devolution.
>>
>>2796074
If not most.
>>
>>2796063
The NES can't do gradients, because it lacks the palette.
The NES is limited to 3 colors per sprite, so these characters would have to be done through multiple overlaid sprites. That's not accounting for the fact that most of the colors in that screenshot, and in these sprites, are unavailable on the NES.
The character icons on top have a considerably higher resolution than the rest of the screen, and especially a higher resolution than the NES could do.
The NES can't do widescreen.

Cartridge size is the least of your problems.
>>
>>2796885
I knew that much about the widescreen. I heard about the problem with the palette. I just didn't know it was that limited.

So, a game like this could never be made for the NES?
>>
>>2796904
Well, never have been made.
>>
File: NES_palette.png (1 KB, 256x76) Image search: [Google]
NES_palette.png
1 KB, 256x76
>>2796904
The NES can do 64 colors. Several of these are identical, which means you're down to 54 unique colors.

>So, a game like this could never be made for the NES?
Certainly not in the way it's presented. I've never seen the video, which might have even more problems (sprite count, tile count, certain types of parallax scrolling)

>>2796906
The NES homebrew scene is not dead.
>>
>>2796913
Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrq_4tYysw8
>>
>>2796929
The very first bit with the dragon shows the kind of parallax scrolling you can't do on the NES (multiple layers that don't have perfectly horizontal boundaries). Depending on how the dragon's made, it's gonna destroy the sprite limit, you can have up to 64 sprites on screen, and each segment of his body requires at least two (bottom end and top end), the head itself needs dozens. The dragon itself is performing a subtle up/down rotation, which is definitely entirely out of the question.

The resolution in the main menu is inconsistent again. The full screen light effect in the background of the menu probably hits the tile limit of the NES.
The level selection menu has high resolution elements.
The battle scene around 1:14 shows zooms, which are impossible on the NES (technically you could do sprites at different resolutions, but then you hit sprite count limits and can't swap things out quick enough).
The rays are high resolution.

I'm gonna stop here. I apologize if it sounds a bit rude, but that video is a show case of everything wrong with "retro pixel art". It's inconsistent, impossible, and paints a very bad picture of actual artwork of the days.
>>
>>2796964
I see.

I figured there was going to be limits.

I see now it's more significant than I thought.

The beams in particular. It looked like whoever made it couldn't make it a lower res than that.

Thinking about it now I think the GBC could have been able to handle it a little better.
>>
>>2796990
The GBC has an even lower resolution. While it can do more colors than the NES, it is still limited to about 56 colors on screen. The sprites are subject to the same 3 colors limit. The sprite count is higher, but still limited to a few sprites per line, which the dragon would exceed.
No old school 2D systems can do the resolution and rotation shown in the video. Very few could do the zooming shown.
>>
>>2796998
Woah, seriously?

I didn't think it would. I'm going off of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uo_UPySAZk
>>
>>2797003
Well, particularly the opening.
>>
>>2797006
The first 10 seconds, with Rayman presenting the text, are a full motion video (FMV). That is, the GBC is showing a single animated background, by swapping out all tiles on screen at once. It is hand crafted. This mechanism looks impressive but is not suitable for gameplay, or anything interactive. For interactive FMV, take a look at Dragon's Lair.
Note how the colors look worse, because this needs to do a more simple mechanism, to allow some computing power for the limited interactivity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XiUvMowedA
>>
File: towers lord baniff's deceit.webm (2 MB, 533x480) Image search: [Google]
towers lord baniff's deceit.webm
2 MB, 533x480
>>2797003
>>2797006
FMV's really aren't representive of the hardware's power.

>>2796964
>but that video is a show case of everything wrong with "retro pixel art". It's inconsistent, impossible, and paints a very bad picture of actual artwork of the days
C'mon, you yourself know that's not even entirely true. 8-bit isn't always the same. NES, SMS, TG16, GB and GBC are all 8-bit machines with widley different capabilities. There is nothing wrong with making a game in 8-bit style and without sprite and palette limits. Unless you really want to make a game that could be played on real hardware. I certainly don't see anywhere that the video claims to be an accurate representation of the NES' capabilities.
But I do agree that there is a lot of bad and inconsistent pixel art out there, as seen in the level select.

>>2797003
If you are interested in actually making an NES game, I can recommend this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvx4xXhZMrU
The guy shows what elements he had to remove from his game to make it run on the NES.
>>
>>2797616
>you yourself know that's not even entirely true
My point was that the video wildly mixes resolutions, andnearly impossible" effects (anything vector based, quick zooms, shading) with no regard to actual hardware capabilities. That's typical for that kind of "8-bit retro" style. It's about having your pie (8-bit looks) and eating it too (no 8-bit limitations).

>There is nothing wrong with making a game in 8-bit style and without sprite and palette limits
Erm, yes, lots wrong with that. Part of the appeal of 8 bit art is the limitation. Take that away, or make it arbitrary, and you end up with stuff that's neither here nor there.

>I certainly don't see anywhere that the video claims to be an accurate representation of the NES' capabilities.
I didn't claim it would be. I merely stated what had to be changed to make it work on the NES. Got no problem with the video in that regard. Sadly, it also doesn't represent the capabilities of ANY hardware, including and up to high end 2D like the PS or the GBA.
>>
>>2797616
while FMVs aren't representative of the hardware's power, they're almost without exception clashing terribly with the actual game graphics and hence best avoided
>>
>>2796913
Dithering will extend that color palette my man.
>>
>>2797642
The video didn't show any dithering. The low resolution of the NES limits the applicability of dithering. You sound condescending.
>>
>>2797632
>Part of the appeal of 8 bit art is the limitation.
But not the sprite limit. Like, nobody loves the days when you could only fight two enemies at the time in a NES beat'em up because the hardware was so shitty.
>>
Whats the best Dragon Ball game?

I'm fairly disinterested in DBZ, I've always liked the original series more.
>>
File: 1326771144102.png (218 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1326771144102.png
218 KB, 500x374
>>2797616
"8-bit" art without palette or resolution limitations is just pixel art. 8-bit refers to a very specific type of computer graphics, where there are 8 binary bits allotted per color, or 2^8 = 64 colors. This just simply isn't 8-bit, to be frank. It's really not even 16-bit, if we're talking purely about color depth. Nevermind the conflicting resolution...

It's like calling something a black-and-white ink drawing, even though it has oil paints and photoshop. It simply doesn't make sense. Just call it pixel art. That's perfectly fine.

Not to be pedantic or anything, but calling it 8-bit just makes you sound dumb.
>>
>>2799448
>where there are 8 binary bits allotted per color, or 2^8 = 64 colors
Do the math, 2^8 = 256.
Also 8-bit computers are wide ranged in colors from 2 colors (b/w) up to PC Engine's 482 colors and GBC 32 thousand colors.
>>
>>2799430
The first gokuden on SNES is pretty good. I'm assuming you read runes.
>>
>>2799448
Graphically, bits don't really matter. Any modern machine with an 8-bit cpu could look like that with a powerful gpu
>>
not retro
>>
>>2799407
yes, including the sprite limit. It lead to beautiful workarounds like using background tiles as sprites
>>
NOT RETRO VIDEO GAMES
>>
>>2799652
>>2799689
This thread is about NES cartridge limitations, not the game posted in the OP. I'm using the game as a metric.
>>
File: 1362644893963.jpg (198 KB, 900x1354) Image search: [Google]
1362644893963.jpg
198 KB, 900x1354
>>2799448
Actually, older systems termed 8-bit typically referred to the processor word size, not color bit depth. Processor word size was an advertising buzzword to show off how big an e-peen you computer had. I'm sure very few people back then actually knew what the bits were actually referring to outside of the fact your newer computer had more of 'em.
>>
>>2800383
Good, but it's not the same as 2D Cammy.
>>
>>2799686
I sure love placing a bomb in bomberman and overwriting part of the ground texture along with it.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.